Map-Adventure Terrarian Special Forces

BadScientist

Plantera
UPDATE: The updated version for Terraria 1.4 is now available on the Steam Workshop!
UPDATE: I just released 1.1b. This only changed the endgame rewards. The reason for this is that I'm working on the sequel and I want people to be able to port their characters over, but the previous rewards would have made it easy to break/cheese the map unless I designed it around them (which I didn't want to do).

UPDATE: Just released a small hotfix in version 1.1a.

UPDATE: Version 1.1 is now up! As always, let me know what you think or if you have any issues.

Okay, here it is! The full map is now available. There may be some rough edges, but I will iron those out as I receive feedback from you guys. So please let me know what you think about it: too hard, too easy, too much/not enough combat, parkour, story, etc. I intentionally made it light on parkour since I personally suck at it. Also let me know if you experience any technical issues with the map. Anyways, without further ado... Introducing:

Terrarian Special Forces Banner.png

You are an agent in the Terrarian Special Forces (or TSF for short), the elite group tasked with protecting all the lands of Terraria. Under orders from your commanding officer, you will undertake missions to ensure the safety and stability of the region. Explore exotic locations and face dangerous creatures, risking life and limb so that the people of Terraria can sleep easy at night.

Features:
  • A world-spanning adventure
  • Performance-based rewards
  • Multiple optional challenges/areas/bosses
  • Lot's of loot
Getting Started:
  1. Download the attached map file and place it in your Terraria worlds folder (...Documents/My Games/Terraria/Worlds)
  2. Open Terraria
  3. Create a NEW CHARACTER
  4. Select the world "Terrarian Special Forces"
  5. Have Fun
Rules:
  • Follow instructions!
  • Obviously, don't break or place anything. You can place torches that are given to you in chests, however.
  • Use a new character.
  • Immediately toss starting items and anything on the Banned Items List, UNLESS given to you in a chest.
  • You can buy items and keep monster drops UNLESS they're on the Banned Items List.
  • No map (you won't really need it and it helps with immersion).
Banned Items:
  • Tools (i.e. pickaxe, axe, hammer, wrench)
  • Blocks/platforms
  • Mobility Accessories
  • Ice Rod
  • Rope/Chain
  • Grappling hooks
  • Mounts
  • Anything that gives wire vision (pressure plates, traps, etc.)
  • Any potions other than healing/mana potions
Pro-tips:
  • Make a backup of the map in case you need to reset it for any reason.
  • Set your resolution to 1080x1920.
  • Always set your spawn point whenever you can.
  • It's best to complete it in one run, since closing and reopening the map will shut off all active timers. However, if you have just reached a new area and set your spawn, it shouldn't create any major issues if you quit and come back to it later.
CHEATERS BEWARE!
In many places there are anti-cheat measures built into the map which will kill you and in some cases may even break the map if you try to bypass anything using a pickax. So leave it behind! You really won't need it anyways.

Changelog:

v1.1b
-Changed the endgame rewards.

v1.1a
-All doors should now be able to swing open in both directions and flowers should not be able to grow directly outside any door, preventing them from opening that way.
-Fixed another typo.

v1.1
-Added a watch to the starting items
-Added two new areas accessible through Gilded Temple Tower
-Added a barrel with healing potions and ammunition to the Insect Burrow
-Added skellies to help pass the time while waiting for night to fall at the Pink Dungeon
-Added water candles to some locations
-Added more small ledges to the Corruption chasms to make it easier to not go splat
-Added an announcement box that triggers when leaving the Green Dungeon
-Added cancelable timer to dirigible travel switch
-Added glass blocks to prevent players from leaving the dirigible teleporter when at high altitude
-Added high and low altitude markers to the dirigible information display
-Clarified instructions for piloting the dirigible
-Extensively reworked wiring to use fewer liquid sensors
-Slightly expanded the boss arena in the Insect Burrow
-Reduced the amount of cobwebs in the spider biome in the Insect Burrow
-Minor aesthetic changes to many areas
-Slightly expanded the mayor's house in Gobb's Hollow and moved the story sign so he won't stand in front of it like a jerk at night or when it's raining
-Housed the mechanic so she won't spawn in the world
-Fixed various spelling errors
-Probably a bunch of other little things that I forgot to record.

v1.0
-Initial Release

20170825204021_1.jpg
20170825204113_1.jpg
20170825204417_1.jpg
20170825204502_1.jpg
20170825205336_1.jpg
20170825205619_1.jpg

Attachments

• Terrarian_Special_Forces v1.1b.wld
    5.1 MB · Views: 1,188
Last edited:
I just started this and absolutely love it so far. I'm shocked how much I love this. Seriously. Great job :)
Fury! I'm glad you're enjoying it! Especially since a lot of your build videos inspired the design of some of the later areas in the map. :happy:

Nice! That makes me happy. Approximately how long would you say this is? - just so I have a very general idea about episode structure. Everything is fantastic so far. The writing! The sea birds! The visuals! The wiring! Those riddles!? So far, I'm a big fan.

Nice! That makes me happy. Approximately how long would you say this is? - just so I have a very general idea about episode structure. Everything is fantastic so far. The writing! The sea birds! The visuals! The wiring! Those riddles!? So far, I'm a big fan.

Thanks! :D

The amount of time it takes depends a lot on how much you explore and how much of the optional stuff you do. I think it's around 90 minutes if you do all the optional challenges/areas and find all the hidden chests. Of course, if you have to retry some of them a lot it will take longer and if you skip some it will be shorter (although the boss will be much harder at the end).

-Great work on this map, I like the quality of visual design, the story and the way you writed some of those signs, interesting challenges and overall great map 10/10 gj.
-
It shows that you put a lot of time and effort into this. `:)

Last edited:
Guys! it wont load.. i was so so so... YET SO TEMPTED TO TRY A MAP BUT... in the end.. it took like 3 hours to reset game objects and in the end it never worked.....

Guys! it wont load.. i was so so so... YET SO TEMPTED TO TRY A MAP BUT... in the end.. it took like 3 hours to reset game objects and in the end it never worked.....
That's strange. Are you able to load any other maps, either player-created or game generated ones? Also, is your game up-to-date? Current version of Terraria is 1.3.5.3.

I enjoy(ed) the map, but the first part that completely depends on rng for if the pumps break made me reset 4 times. I don't think I'll touch this map until 1.1

I enjoy(ed) the map, but the first part that completely depends on rng for if the pumps break made me reset 4 times. I don't think I'll touch this map until 1.1
What? It isn't. There is a certain switch you can flip. There is a clue on the wall.

I loved the map, but sometimes I would spawn at the beginning, even after I set my spawnpoint. Is my Terraria problematic?

Hi Mark2. Can you give me a little more detail about what the issue is? If the pumps are taking a long time to empty the room, sometimes you just have to wait a while. The liquid physics in Terraria can be a little finicky. Eventually, it will empty if you get the pumps turned on, though.

I loved the map, but sometimes I would spawn at the beginning, even after I set my spawnpoint. Is my Terraria problematic?

Hi Charielity. Make sure that when you set your spawn, you only click once. Look at the message that pops up in the lower left corner of the screen and ensure that it says "Spawn point set" and not "Spawn point removed." If it does say "removed" click one more time to set it again. If there is no message, it means you are trying to set your spawn at an invalid location (such as the beds in the cells during the second mission). Also, make sure you don't remove or place any blocks around the beds or remove the beds themselves. You shouldn't be able to if you left your pickax behind though. If none of that solves the problem, you may want to consider reinstalling Terraria.

Hello everyone! I've just uploaded version 1.1 of my map!

I've made a ton of changes, including an extensive rework of the wiring to (hopefully) make it more reliable, a ton of small aesthetic and mechanical improvements (including fixing an issue with the final boss not properly spawning after the first attempt), and added two entirely new locations which are accessed through Gilded Temple Tower (although you can only access one per playthrough). See my OP for the full changelog.

Hope you all enjoy, and let me know what you think! :happy:

Hello everyone! I've just uploaded version 1.1 of my map!

I've made a ton of changes, including an extensive rework of the wiring to (hopefully) make it more reliable, a ton of small aesthetic and mechanical improvements (including fixing an issue with the final boss not properly spawning after the first attempt), and added two entirely new locations which are accessed through Gilded Temple Tower (although you can only access one per playthrough). See my OP for the full changelog.

Hope you all enjoy, and let me know what you think! :happy:
Can't wait to do it again!

Back
Top Bottom