Official Terraria's 8th Anniversary! Contest and more, come join in!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unit One

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
eHcInY3.png

Amazing to think that Terraria is celebrating its 8th anniversary - coming up on May 16th! Come Dig, Fight, Explore, and Build with us as the Terraria Community Forums hosts a week-long birthday bash. We've got some mini-events planned where you can showcase your creativity, ask questions to Redigit and Cenx, share what made you start playing Terraria, and maybe even win some Steam money along the way. Who knows, there may even be a spoiler if we're lucky.

kdcROYP.png

To start things off, come join in the fun here:

• CONTEST •
CLICK HERE TO ENTER THE CONTEST
  • Enter the contest with your birthday-themed creation using any creative medium (traditional/digital art, in-game build, poetry, story, music, sewing, live-action play, etc)
    • As long as your entry is Terraria related and birthday-themed you're good
  • One entry per member. No placeholder posts.
  • Entries will close Tuesday, May 21 at 11:59 PM EDT
  • Polling will open Wednesday, May 22 at 7:00 AM EDT and will close Wednesday, May 22 at 11:59 PM EDT (play nice, no duplicate accounts - any additional accounts made in order to vote more than once will face consequences)
  • One winner will be chosen by member poll who will receive prizes of:
    • $50 Steam money
    • The chance to ask Redigit and Cenx 8 questions (for the 8th anniversary). Please keep them reasonable. Some or all of your questions may be answered. If Redigit and Cenx don't/can't answer, they won't, and there won't be any "do-overs".
    • A special forum title
• WINNER: @Snickerbobble

divider.png

• ASK REDIGIT AND CENX •
CLICK HERE TO ASK YOUR QUESTION
  • Have you ever wondered something about Terraria... how Redigit came up with the idea, what Cenx thought about the game the first time she played it... now is your chance to ask, and if you are lucky enough your question may be answered
  • Entries will close Monday, May 20 at 11:59 PM EDT
  • One post per member. No placeholder posts. You can ask as many questions as you want, but please keep them in one post. You may edit your post anytime.
  • Please keep questions reasonable and do not spam
  • A few questions will be chosen and answered (not all of them)
  • Every member that asks a question will automatically be entered into a raffle
    • You can ask as many questions as you want, but it won't increase your chance of winning. One raffle entry per qualifying member.
    • Raffle winner will be chosen by random draw and will win a prize of:
      • $50 Steam money
• Redigit and Cenx answered TONS of questions •

You can read Cenx's post HERE or read her answers in the spoiler below:
How did the Danganronpa crossover happen?
I'm interested and curious to know how that came to be. :D
There was concern with the Plumber and Hero's set would trigger potential copyright issues in Japan so our publisher suggested this as an alternative.

Are you planning on ever adding a creative mode or making any bosses after the Moon Lord? or are you just going to make more bosses in between and possibly raise his difficulty? You could make all sorts of celestial bosses after said Moon Lord, which would be kinda cool!
We have always said that we would like to attempt some variation of Creative Mode prior to being done with Terraria, and I think that is still very much on the table. The team is a bit torn on a post Moon Lord boss and post Moon Lord content, but it is something that we talk about quite often. I wouldn't be surprised to see something added post Moon Lord - just not entirely sure what that will look like yet.

What were some interesting features that were close to making it into the game but got cut?
There are three that come to mind immediately- Rain accumulation, Weapon Dyes, and being able to grapple to trees.

Rain accumulation was actually really fun to test on the servers, and it was in for a few beta builds - basically, the rain would fall, it would cause holes/bunkers/etc. to flood with water - and you would have to build little systems to get rid of the water.

The ability to dye weapons was always something we wanted to try and this was definitely a highly requested feature. Unfortunately, the way our dye and particle systems work does not play nicely with this, and we ended up having to scrap the system entirely.

Grappling to trees is still a feature I am very upset about losing! Basically, for a few builds, Redigit made it so you could grapple to trees. However, he later found that it interfered with gameplay in an annoying way, so it had to be scrapped.

What’s your favorite part about terraria?
If there gonna be a terraria 2 or another terraria game?
Also what’s your favorite boss/armor?
My favorite part of Terraria is probably the exploration aspects. Pre-hardmode is still my favorite part of the game for this reason: so much to see and do - so many surprises to be found!

My favorite boss is definitely Plantera; I love her design, and absolutely love her boss theme. Fun fact in case you didn't know - when we sent the request to Scott for her music we sent along a clip to a Pantera song, and her dropping the axe is a nod to their late guitarist "Dimebag" Darrel Abbott.

1. Games as a service typically have DLC or some other form of providing income to help fund the continued development and support of a product. Why did you guys choose not to go this route? Have there been any challenges or major consequences as a result of not doing this or has default sales and merchandise been enough to sustain development?

2. Have you guys ever used any mods? Any favorites? There have been a couple of mods I used that ruined me and now I can't play without them. Magic Storage being one and Gotest's RPG Mods being another.

3. What's the general feeling of using XNA and .Net amongst the developers? Do you guys plan on switching to a different engine in future products or do you feel XNA and .Net serves your purposes rather well?

4. Eight years... What an incredible amount of time. What lessons in particular did you learn over these eight years that you feel provided you with valuable knowledge for future and current development?

1. One of the biggest reasons we decided to not monetize our updates is we did not want to splinter our community. Terraria to us has always been about multiplayer, and the thought of not being able to play with a friend because they could not afford an update did not sit well with us. I think in making this decision, it actually strengthened how we and the game appear to our community, and that led to far more success.

2. I have not used any mods to-date, but from the outside, I am very impressed with Super Terraria World, Calamity, Thorium, and of course Tmodloader. I am sure I am forgetting all sorts of great mods, and this is not meant to be a slight to them in anyway! <3

3. I do not think anyone loves working with XNA/.Net. Initially, Terraria was meant to be a little pet project for one man - the fact that we are still updating and have such a large team is a bit mind blowing! I can say without a doubt that our next game will be done with a different engine for sure!

4. One of the biggest things we have improved upon recently is how we organize and track things - getting Jira has been a lifesaver! Crazy to think that just a few years ago, we did all of our tracking for everything on Google spreadsheets. I also think something we have learned a lot about is preparing for features in advance - Terraria was not developed to do a lot of what it does now, and a lot of brute force and frustration is put behind making some of these new things work. If you want a good example ask Yoraiz0r how he feels about controller support! :p

To Redigit: I know you and Nintendo haven't had the best relationship. If you could say 1 thing to Nintendo without getting In trouble or anything, what would it be
To Cenx: Did you meet Red before or after he became "famous". Also, did you meet him IRL or online?
The first time I met Red, I was working at Gamestop and he had flown out to meet with his best friend who just happened to be my best friend that he had met while in the Airforce. He came in bragging about Terraria being in beta and I was bragging about having beta access to Diablo 3. A year later we met again and hit it off immediately. He showed me Terraria and I didn't really get it and didn't fully understand that he was the man behind everything that made it work.

Hi cenx i've been a fan for 5 years my question is "will there be a new hook mechanic such as swings" and how did you feel when 1.3.4 was released and terraria reached its HIGHEST peak? :)
Thanks for your continued support! Unfortunately I do not see us adding new hook mechanics in this update, but I would definitely expect to see many new hook mechanics in Terraria 2 (or whatever we end up calling it) :p. I feel like while that peak was higher- we can do better with 1.3.6! :D

Will Terraria finished the development in future? (I mean next 10-20 years)
Terraria 1 will definitely be done in the next 5 years. :p

I have played on mobile for about 2 months now and I have fell in love with this game, and I am really hoping for you to at least give us a release date for mobile. I really do want to see this game grow and 1.3 on mobile will definitely bring more players to this game.:happy:
I am so beyond excited for the work that DR Studios has done on the new 1.3 update for Mobile. I cannot wait to see how everyone reacts, the wait is definitely worth it!

Looking back, were there any decisions made during Terraria's development that you've come to regret? Perhaps something you feel you could've handled better, or a game design choice you've grown against over time?
For Yoraiz0r's sanity and our creativity I would have to say adding controller support to PC. Our game was never really designed with controller support in mind and it has caused a lot of headaches for our programmers. Doing it did serve a purpose though, and it has taught us so much for our next game.

Was there ever anything extremely goofy you wanted to add to the game, but couldn't because it was to ridiculous?
No- this is Terraria! The goofier the better! :p

Why do you hate Epic Games so much
How did you get so friendly with well known Terraria content creators like Pedguin and ChippyGaming?
Pedguin and ChippyGaming were just starting out when I was just starting out as our Community Manager. While Redigit was programming, I would join random Twitch streams and interact with the viewers. Pedguin was always friendly, silly, and had a good community - so I started sharing his streams on social media. Chippy was a similar situation, only I found him through Youtube. After sharing many videos and interacting over time our relationship grew. He is my favorite annoying little brit. ;)

As every company needs a team of its own, where did you find the other officials and how did they first react to Terraria?

Also I heard that Red's gonna make Moon Lord's lower body a boss and the Broken Hero Sword an actual weapon, when are they coming?

When I met Red it was shortly after he announced that he would no longer be working on Terraria. When we decided to reboot the game, we reached out to artists in the community via our forums and went from there. Crowno, Jimmarn, AaronC, Phlebus, and Waffles all contributed to art. Shortly after 1.2 we stumbled upon Yoraiz0r who would go on to be the second official programmer for the game and now lead programmer. Our other programmers Skiphs, Grox, and Leinfors were also pulled from the community. Our Business team is a group of friends and family - Loki went from community to part of the Hydra that is our business team. Basically as you can see we built our team from the community once the game was already established and their reaction to it was positive. :p

One of the many good impressions I got from Terraria was thanks to the impressive abundance of content with references to popular culture! :dryadgrin:
How would you feel about having Terraria referenced in other games or franchises?
I would absolutely be all about it! We have been referenced in an anime as well as a few games and it is always so exciting and humbling to see.

Do you think there will ever be more easter eggs in the game that are super obscure and hard to find? (like the colours of the Last Prism)

~ please take me out of the raffle if possible, I would rather give a better chance to other members
It is always likely that we will add a few. ;)

What is your long term goal for Terraria, so say in like 2-8 years what do you plan on doing with it
Finishing it and moving on! While it has been a crazy amazing ride, we are all definitely ready to move on to the next project. :)

Are you going to buff a Golem? He is too easy for a late game boss.
We have actually buffed him quite a bit for the next update, and are in the process of balance-testing his changes.

What are your thoughts on the modding scene of the game? Do you guys have any plan to add official mod support?
I think it is absolutely amazing that so many people have the passion and drive to mod our game - I am all about it. We have always talked about ways to try and hack in mod support but in all honestly at this point to do it properly it would likely take an entire rewrite of the game. We will always keep the door open for possibility but it isn't looking good.

What have you died to the most in Terraria.
Leaps of faith and freaking boulder traps! Red laughs so hard anytime I die to a trap. >.<

To start off I wanna quickly say thank you for making this game. It inspired me and many others. So I have only a couple questions. Will the new final sword be a Terra Blade upgrade? I made one myself (with help from a friend, and I don’t have a pic on my phone so can’t post it rn.) that’s kinda insanely op. Next question is who designed the Terra Blade? (You can probably tell I am a fan of it. Terra Blade best blade) Next question Cenx said the Moon Lord is Cthulu’s brother, yet the lore implies he is Cthulu. Which is true? Final question, what sort of post-Moony content can we expect, if any? Sorry real last question, will mods on Xbox One/PS4 ever be possible? Thanks for taking the time to read this and maybe respond. I understand however if you don’t, but if you do it would mean a lot. Thanks!

Edit: I do have a pic of my Terra Blade upgrade. It’s called Terra’s Wrath. Combo of all endgame 1.3 swords (meowmere, star wrath, influx waver), Terra blade, and post moony materials (luminite and solar fragments)
View attachment 221541
The final sword isn't something we have discussed a lot in terms of design or acquisition, so I cannot yet say if it will be an upgrade to the Terra Blade. Crowno was the one who designed the Terra Blade, it is one of my favorites as well! Moon Lord is not Cthulhu and he is also not his brother- that was me being a troll. :p Unfortunately due to terms of service, mods will not likely be a thing you can expect on PS4/Xbone anytime soon.

Thanks for your questions and passion for our game, love the sword! Color combinations and design are fun. :)

What is your personal stance on mods that make things like crafting and storage unnecessary? (Magic Storage, Alchemist Npc, ect.) Would you ever consider things like this in the actual game?
I think they are nice fun things for people to play with that have completed the game. I do not ever seeing these be things we add in any official capacity.

Do you plan on making more biomes for the game?
We had several biomes we started designing that were scrapped as we changed direction. Before the Jungle became the massive beast it is today Jimmarn had started designing sprites for a Swamp Alternative. We also had concepts for a Candyland version of the Hallow and ideas for a Hell alternative based on the color schemes from the Hell in Disney's Hercules.

What is your favorite song? (for both Redigit and Cenxx)
My favorite song in Terraria or outside of Terraria? For Terraria definitely Plantera Boss theme. Outside of Terraria it is a toss up between Wish You Were Here by Pink Floyd and Nutshell by Alice in Chains.

You can read Redigit's post HERE or read his answers in the spoiler below
With mods such as Thorium and Calamity building on or creating their own classes in Terraria, do you have any plans to do the same or do you believe it best to leave already developed content like that on its own?

I never really thought about having defined classes in the game early on. It's something that just evolved as we added more armor sets and accessories. I'm pretty happy with how they all turned out, because there is something unique about each one of them. Ranged uses different types of ammo to modify the base projectile, magic has mana management and a bunch of crazy weapons, and melee is more basic for people who don't want to bother with any of that. On top of those three you have summoner that I consider a sub class of all the others, except you are supported by creatures that do all the work for you.

I'm pretty happy with how it all turned out, and don't really see a need to add more classes just for the sake of adding more classes. It's cool that some mods do for the people that would like to experiment with that kind of thing.

Is there a plan for an embedded storyline / lore? If so, will it be coherent (very direct to follow), or more fragmented, as in "bits" of lore scattered about, leaving it to the player to figure out for themself?

Lore always took a backseat to gameplay in Terraria. There are some things I always envisioned being a certain way, but the game never really talks about it. Terraria is the kind of game where you make your own stories, and I don't think that will change. If we make a sequel we will definitely plan things ahead of time so the story will make more sense.

What’s your favorite part about terraria?

If there gonna be a terraria 2 or another terraria game?

Also what’s your favorite boss/armor?

I like being able to share adventures with my friends, there aren't nearly enough games like that.

I want there to be more Terraria games in the future. After 1.1 came out and I decided to quit Terraria, I planned on having a sequel out by now, but I didn't happen that way. I am very happy with how far Terraria has come, though.

My favorite boss is the Wall of Flesh. You are fighting for you life and are constantly being pushed back. It's an interesting style of boss fight that was influenced by Demon Walls from Final Fantasy. My favorite armor is probably Shroomite. I like the way it looks and think the stealth mechanic turned out really well.

Here's a nice question!

What inspired you to make Terraria back in 2011 or before? And describe how it felt when you had released every update after tons of hard work!

Also Happy Anniversary! I've been a fan for 4 years now. The times keep changing!

I've always been a big fan of 2D platformers where you use the mouse to aim and shoot. As a kid, I was heavily influenced by games like Worms, Liero, and Soldat. I've always wanted to make a big RPG game in that style, but how does one guy go about designing a world large enough? Well, everyone's favorite feature of SMBX(another game I made) was the level editor, so I realized that leaving it up to the player to make their own world was the best way to go about it. Then Minecraft came along and showed me how to put it all together.

Updates are a ton of work, but they are very satisfying. I am always a nervous wreck anytime I have to click the button to make Terraria go live, but it's all worth it to see so many people play the game and to read their comments about it.

Looking back, were there any decisions made during Terraria's development that you've come to regret? Perhaps something you feel you could've handled better, or a game design choice you've grown against over time?

Well one of them, and Yoraiz0r will agree with me, is using hard coded numbers for everything in the code. For example if you want to see if an item is a torch you would put if (item.type == 7). This wasn't too big of a problem in the beginning when you had less than 100 items in game. However, this is terrible when you have over 4000 items and don't know what all the numbers mean. It was a huge rookie mistake. Now we had IDs that we use to reference all items, so the above statement would be if (item.type == ItemID.Torch). We have replaced most of these magic numbers, but there are still a few in game that cause complications from time to time.

It's been great to work with so many different programmers, because I have learned a lot from each of them.

Was there ever anything extremely goofy you wanted to add to the game, but couldn't because it was to ridiculous?

I don't think I've let anything being too ridiculous stop me. We have Golden Showers, Master Bait, Mourning Wood, and a Nurse that doesn't give happy endings. I added the ability to strap dynamite to bunnies and let them chase after monsters this update, too. Had to fight tooth and nail with Cenx for that one, but I usually get my way.

As every company needs a team of its own, where did you find the other officials and how did they first react to Terraria?

Also I heard that Red's gonna make Moon Lord's lower body a boss and the Broken Hero Sword an actual weapon, when are they coming?

Pretty much everyone on the team were fans of the game and came from the community.

what was your favorite qol change that was implemented?

Inventory management can be a pain in this game. I think my favorite QOL features were increased inventory and chest space and the ability to quick stack to nearby chests. Once you get the initial organization done it's super easy to drop stuff off and go back to what you were doing.

I have several questions at the moment so here it goes
JRbTksKTpLYe1cHB27bZ3c5oZKw3xz8-q40MugYOhwNkyIQYwcPSox_JjTVe8hTBTxWQ5SYwJ-GYJZnqRIEnYF-HlErc11FubeyK0rX0rbjeistpLYgRpnyX5Q1g-A_ito6RJow5

1. Redigit, back in the day (before Terraria) You made Super Mario Bros X (then Nintendo came). After that the Terraria were born. Some time ago someone mention that it is possible for SMBX to get a "sequel" (with less Mario-oriented theme). I would love to know if this project (possibly called "Super X") is still a thing.

2. Terraria 1.2 re-added some cool "ancient" stuff back into the game. It is possible that the good old Starfury will be back as "Ancient Starfury" in the future (maybe more items will be back)?

3. Corruption biome got an alternative in form of Crimson biome. My question is that it is possible that Hallow at some time will also have an alternative?

4. At the moment the strongest spear in the game is North Pole while other melee weapons goes beyond that point in progression. Do you plan adding some endgame spears (like polearm made of Luminite) to Terraria?

5. Oh boy this one. I apologise but I must write it. Why Fishing Pole modifiers were abandoned? What really happened?
  1. We actually experimented with Super X a few years ago. We split off part of the team to work on it as a side project, but it didn't pan out. I think it was a mistake to split the team up instead of keeping everyone focused on the same project.
  2. I don't think we'll add many more ancient items. That old Starfury sprite was terrible anyway
  3. We thought about making a Hallow alternate multiple times, but it didn't pan out. It seems too late to justify doing it now because of how much work it would be.
  4. I'm not gonna give out any spoilers about new weapons just yet.
  5. Fishing pole modifiers were never planned. It didn't seem like something that was needed.

Are you going to buff a Golem? He is too easy for a late game boss.

I made some changes to him recently that make him more difficult in multiplayer expert mode. He is also going to be a lot harder to cheese now. I've been waiting to fight him again on a legit playthrough to see if that's enough yet. I do agree that he can sometimes be way too easy to defeat.

Boa noite, jogo Terraria a uns 4 anos, já enfrentei todos os chefes e eventos exceto a Punpikin e a Frost Moom, pois percebi que como jogamos sempre a três, minhas filhas e eu, o jogo quase triplica o número de inimigos, chegamos ate a fase 15 mas não conseguimos ganhar, chegam a ser 12 Punpikins sobrevoando no final, vocês acreditam que o jogo possa não estar computando os pontos corretamente? E também gostaria de saber se há a possibilidade de terem os eventos do computador para o xbox360?

Queria dizer que sou muito fã do Terraria, Minhas filhas também amam, é um momento que ficamos juntas e falamos a mesma língua, tenho ótimas lembranças, inclusive da primeira vez que vimos o chutlu,

Parabens pela inteligência dos detalhes do jogo, pelo cuidado com a perfeição, vocês são demais.

Fico feliz que Terraria lhe dê a oportunidade de passar tempo com suas filhas! A idéia por trás do evento da lua de abóbora é tornar cada onda mais difícil até que, eventualmente, fique difícil de continuar. Concordo que 12 chefes na tela ao mesmo tempo podem ser um pouco demais. Vou tentar ver se consigo sentir mais equilibrado. Desculpe pela má tradução, usei o Google.

What is your thought on mods on this game? Varying from large content mods to simple QoL changes?

Will there be more unique weapons in the game?

I think mods are great. They add a lot of new things to the game that you will probably never see in vanilla. At some point we are going to be done updating Terraria, so the mods are going to be what keeps the game alive with fresh content.

There are already a bunch of new items in this update, with more planned before release.

What are your personal favorite music tracks in the game?

I love the normal underground track. The mood it sets feels perfect to me. I also really like the jungle and rain tracks as well. Scott Lloyd Shelly is an incredible composer and I am always excited to hear the new tracks when he sends them over.

I really hope this isn't like, just a not good question to ask for some reason, but. . .

What engine/IDE is Terraria made in, and/or what coding language is it made in? I know the tModLoader mods are made in C#, but I'm not sure about the actual game. I'm interested because coding is something I'd like to, well, get more advanced with (the most I can do is slightly basic modding for Terraria).

I get asked this a lot. It's made in C# using XNA. I went with it at the time because Microsoft was pushing XNA as the next great gaming framework. They dropped support for it a few years after Terraria came out, so we are now stuck with a dead framework. If you are looking for something to make games in, Unity looks better to me the more I learn about it.

Do you plan on making more biomes for the game?

You'll just have to wait and see. :)

What was your working experience before you started making videogames?

I'm almost out of high school and I'd like to make videogames one day, but I don't know how to start.

I joined the US Air Force when I was old enough. I learned a lot about networking and maintaining computers from that, but didn't get any programming experience. I am mostly self taught when it comes to programming. As I mentioned earlier, Unity is looking real good right now. There are a lot of tutorials on the internet that will get you started with it. You just need to accept that it's going to be hard at first and push through the frustration of learning something new and difficult.

• WINNER OF RANDOM DRAW: @GamingMaster✌•

divider.png

• SHARE YOUR STORY •
CLICK HERE TO SHARE
  • With Terraria's 8th anniversary in mind, we wanted to hear your memories... Some things that you might share are how you came to find Terraria, what you remember as you first played the game, what platform did you start on, what was that moment that got you hooked, what made you seek out and find the forums, etc.
    • Your story doesn't have to include all of the above, they are just examples of the type of things you can share.
  • Entries will close Monday, May 20 at 11:59 PM EDT
  • One post per member. No placeholder posts. You can share as much as you want, but please keep it to one post. You may edit your post anytime.
  • Every member that posts their experience will automatically be entered into a raffle
    • One raffle entry per qualifying member.
    • Raffle winner will be chosen by random draw and will win a prize of:
      • $50 Steam money
• WINNER OF RANDOM DRAW @Quill

kdcROYP.png

We hope that you'll join us in celebrating Terraria's 8th anniversary and enter one of the fun mini-events above, or even all of them! If you have any questions about the rules or how to enter, please feel free to ask them here or send a private message to a moderator. :)

Last edited:
Ay Congratulations!!! Happy Birthday to Terraria!!
I believe I speak for all of the Terrarians when I say this game is something else. We love all of it, from the cute bunnies to the impending celestial doom. In that spirit, let's make some nice entries and questions! :)

Happy Birthday Terraria! Congratulations! This game gave me way more than I expected and i am sure it will continue to surprise me. And this is all thank to you esemplare!

I'd love to see a fan art of TB sitting on a cloud with his top hat in front of an old school TV playing Terraria.

Man, this game has come a long way. From 3 bosses to over 400 weapons, every step of the way has been very epic.
Happy birthday, Terraria. Here’s to a big and bright future!

8 years, eh? A well earned aniversary for this awesome game.
Beside I kind of were expecting in-game events.

Congratulations Terraria! I cannot believe how long this has been a part of my life... It's truly amazing how much the people in this community have helped me in so many beautiful ways!

Nossa eu lembro de quando iniciei no Terraria eu era muito perdido e era bons tempos em q eu virava as noites jogando terraria mobile e sabendo q de manha eu precisava ir a escola kk Bons tempos Terraria fez parte da minha vida de criança e por isso terraria sempre vai estar em minha vida mesmo eu estando com 19 anos (na verdade vou fazer 19 anos em 26 de maio kk) mas Vim dizer q o Terraria me fez muito feliz.E parabéns e obrigado por criarem esse game magnifico.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom