Official Terraria's 8th Anniversary - More answers from Redigit & Cenx!

Unit One

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
upload_2019-6-18_14-42-47.png

Greetings Terrarians! During our 8th Anniversary celebration we had a fun and quick contest - make whatever you wanted in any creative medium and showcase it with a birthday theme. The TCF community, full of talented and creative members, brought forth many wonderful entries. By member vote, @Snickerbobble's entertaining "birthday doodle" was the winner of the contest! You can see all of the fantastic contest entries, including Snickerbobble's HERE. One of the prizes that Snickerbobble won was the chance to ask Redigit and Cenx 8 questions (for the 8th anniversary). Here are those questions and answers. Enjoy!

kdcROYP.png

Opening from @Snickerbobble: Hey Red, hey Cenx! Thank you for 8 awesome years. I've been playing since about a week after release so I've been able to watch Terraria grow and evolve over the years, and it's really cool to see how much the game has changed! There's just something really special about this game- I've never been so invested, so passionate about a game like this before. Uh..!
qNP5UDG.png
Anyway, you're here for some questions. I decided to give the last two to the runner up, @Mr. Glitch, since it was a close call.​

custom-terraria-logo-Q-small.png
Snickerbobble: Has it been considered calling the next update 1.4? These numbers seem reserved for fairly hefty updates which this one appears to be becoming! How many more big updates (1.x) do you see possibly coming?
upload_2019-6-18_14-53-55.png
Cenx: A little late on this one ;) but yes, the thought of calling it 1.4 crossed our minds a few times. As you have probably seen from our E3 announcement we plan for this to be the final massive update for Terraria.

Snickerbobble: The original plan for the final boss was to be the Moon, I believe. I recall reading "You won't get to go to the Moon, but the Moon will come to you." If the Moon itself was planned as the final fight in the game, how would that have worked, I wonder? Would it've been some kind of horizontal, descending Wall of Flesh type battle? What would happen if it reached the surface? What attacks would it have, if any? And most importantly, would it drop cheese??
Cenx: Our initial plan for the Moon Lord never made it beyond a basic concepting phase but the idea was that the Moon was crashing down into the world and you had to do a series of things to prevent total annihilation. The Moon itself would have spanned the entire world and upon impact it would be game over.

Snickerbobble: After 1.1.2, Red gave us the heartbreaking "My Fellow Terrarians" announcement of discontinued work on Terraria, aside for some small bug fix updates, but clearly there was a change of mind! What did change your mind, actually?
Cenx: I met Red shortly after “My Fellow Terrarians”. I bought him tickets to see the Zelda Symphony Orchestra in Minneapolis and arrived during a beautiful snow storm. Due to the weather we were holed up in the hotel most of our trip so naturally we played a ton of Terraria as I was still new to the game. Day two into our playthrough I asked him why he had stopped updating and expressed that I wanted more content! That night we sat down and started designing the Snow Biome and what would eventually become the 1.2 update. :)

Snickerbobble: What's your favorite feature introduced, including or excluding the next update? Mine's probably wiring, even though I don't understand most of it! As well as weapons/tools that allow fun minigames, like flower of fire/staff of earth golfing courses, space gun laser tag, and jellyfish+thorns potion soccer!
KUprTga.png

Redigit: I would say this is a toss up between Slopes and Waterfalls. Both features were incredibly tedious to add but in the end added so much to the game.

Snickerbobble: Surely if you've been around the suggestions corner, you've probably seen some biome suggestions, eheh? From previous questions I saw a few alts considered: a candyland Hallow alt (you could say I have a few ideas..
8AqmgQ7.png
), a swamp Jungle alt, and a Hercules-inspired Underworld alt. Might these be reconsidered later on.. or perhaps, something entirely different? These all sound so fun to explore and also would increase the replayability of the game, though it's a ton of work! I've always felt like alt biomes were a great way of adding more biomes to the game, without over-cramping a world with them, as well as progression.
Cenx: Mini Biomes were always a great way for us to sneak in extra content without bloating progression or making old items obsolete. Before we had added so much content to the Jungle, the Swamp was definitely a consideration. Unfortunately we decided to break away from alts as they were an immense amount of work and we thought our time would be best spent working on new features/mechanics/and polishing.

Snickerbobble: And for my final question.. will we ever see the Zapinator return as an actual available weapon? I still remember it! It'd be a cool throwback item for the long-time players!
Cenx: Spoilers!

Mr. Glitch: How much focus will the ocean biome receive in 1.3.6? We've been recently spoiled the dolphin and the goblin shark, however is any more planned for the ocean, and might we see it become expanded in terms of size again? Has it ever been considered to have the oceans wrap to the other side? For example, you swim across one edge of the world and appear in the other ocean (same for the entire world edge as well).
Cenx: The Ocean has always served as a prettier version of an invisible wall for the player. While world wrap would be cool it isn’t something that our current engine would play nice with. I will say that in the event of Terraria 2 you can probably expect an expanded Ocean Biome and world wrap.

Mr. Glitch: What's the next big project after Terraria? Besides a well-deserved vacation, unless you want to share that too! :pTerraria 2? A completely different game? Will Terraria: Otherworld ever be revisited at a later date? Seems like so much work went into it! I think most Terrarians are fine with later than never! But of course, do what you want!
Cenx: After Terraria the team will take a much needed break, do a lot of market research, and then come back to start design. It is hard to say what our next game will be, could be Terraria 2 could be something entirely different. Terraria Otherworld will never be revisited. :)

Closing from @Snickerbobble: Okay.. I expanded on those last two a little bit..
8AqmgQ7.png
Anyway, thanks again for all the incredible work, Red, Cenx, and the entire dev team of course!
zwSU2tr.png
You guys rock.​

kdcROYP.png

There you go Terrarians, a wonderful end to our Anniversary celebration. We hope that you had a great time during our celebration and enjoyed this last little bonus of the question and answer session.

Cute "Q" and "A" images made using @darthmorf's Other Art - [Program] darthmorf's Terraria Logo Maker

Loving the little shoutout to Darthmorf's logo maker. :)

Great questions, Snickerbobble. These we all good bits of information to know. And love that you shared a portion with mr Glitch too! :D

Back
Top Bottom