Official Terraria's 8th Anniversary - Share your story

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm... I remember playing the demo of Terraria. However, at the time, it wasn't very interesting to me at the time. But then I went to my cousins' house for... Christmas, I believe, and my older cousin (the one I talked with a lot, because he's less than a year older than me) was playing this game on his iPad (or android tablet, can't remember), and what do you know but he's playing that one game Terraria. And, well, he had the full version. He had this cool fire sword that I thought was very cool, and was able to kill this cool skeleton boss. I was like "Woah, this game actually looks really cool!" and then I asked my dad if I could get it. I fortunately had some allowance, and was able to get the suprisingly cheap game. I played it with my cousin at his house. We left, probably the next day or the day after that. Either the summer of the next year, or the year after that I got the game on my parents PC that they didn't really use anymore, and got Terraria on that PC about a month after 1.3 came out.

A couple of times when my cousins came over, we would play Terraria, and we once killed Ocram, and found some cool stuff. Not sure I'm ready to lose that Dragon Armor, but at least I can get it on 3DS.
This game helped me a lot, and introduced me to a lot of new things, not just Terraria related, such as Steam, playing PC games in general, and some of the friends I have. Also this game bosted my creativity, and inspired me to code and stuff.
I now have this game on 5 different devices with 1200+ hours on PC, and I'm about to make that 5 devices 6 with the new Switch version coming out, and I plan on actaully killing the Moon Lord on it.

Not sure where I'll be without this game. But I like where I'm at right now. I bet there's many other people influenced by this game just like I was, and in many different ways.

I was playing with my girlfriend and we were mining around. I had thrown down a stick of dynamite at her character's feet and she wasn't moving. Apparently her connection had failed and on her screen nothing was happening and I was mute. For me I was screaming "MOVE MOVE" as the dynamite just laid at her feet. My girlfriend got bored and began to sing, and I cannot make this up, Dynamite by Tao Cruz. I thought she didn't know what dynamite did. She had no idea why I was yelling when her connection came back.

I started and played Terraria when I was 11, version 1.1.2. I had a non-licensed version, because I did not have a permanent Internet. Then two years later I downloaded version 1.2.4, and my friend and I started playing together, he came to me every day, we played with enthusiasm. A year later, version 1.3 came out, it was our favorite update, it passed the Terraria again and again. Three years later, I moved, and I had a permanent Internet connection, I created an account for Steam and bought a Terraria, and with a friend we started playing again, but via the Internet. That's how i started playing Terraria.
P.S. I apologize in advance for bad English.
Hi Re-Logic from Yakutia))

So, my friend introduced me to Terraria way back in 2014, played the demo on mobile to find out why the game was so popular, and after some time, bought the full game. Countless hours spent on Terraria instantly made my saves full of rare items (+ Legendary The Axe) and maxed out stats. But it was short-lived as my saves got corrupted twice. That experience was enough to make anybody rage quit.

Even with those conditions, I stayed determined to finish what I started (Though I was a fool for thinking that Terraria has a finish line) and became even better than my previous saves, except I was missing the rare drops I got back then and the new hard-to-get items from the Moons.

Ah, yes, accidents and fails. I remember being in a cavern in Pre-HM. I was mining for some Platinum but I accidentally stepped on a Pressure Plate that triggered a Boulder. I barely escaped it and had to risk using fall damage to escape it, however I stepped on another Pressure Plate and triggered the Explosives trap. Another one was Plantera. I brought her to the Underworld mostly because I didn't think there was some kind of boost when she leaves the Underground Jungle and I thought Lava can burn her (But it turns out that noclips don't get hindered)

Getting used to mobile then playing the PC version was the worst decision I've ever made, especially since I instantly died to a horde of Zombies before building a proper house (Had problems with the WASD controls so resource gathering was incredibly slow). But hey, now I got used to both platforms and play it without issues!

So, uh, happy 8th birthday to Terraria (And the Guide), hopefully the game doesn't die out before 1.3.1 on Mobile, or maybe that 1.4 for PC.

The first time I played terraria was on Xbox 360, after I had seen the game in a store and remembered a few videos about it. Me and my brother created our first world together and it was pretty funny in hindsight. We were in a "home" underground (at the time we didn't know homes needed walls) and trapped by some zombies, so I made some copper armor and gave it to my brother, we both thought that he would be able to beat them easily with copper armor(I don't need to explain how that ended). We eventually went on to beat the game and I lost interest for a few months until 1.3 was released on PC, I bought Terraria PC on the day 1.3 came out and like a stupid idiot made my first world expert mode. My first playthrough was extremely difficult, because it was the first time I played PC and because it was the first time I had played alone. I haven't finished this playthrough because I lost the files after I got a new computer and forgot to bring over my stuff before wiping my old computer, but I got really close. I went on to do multiple playthroughs, some alone and others with friends, where I never got to be melee or ranger because they would refuse to be anything else. Once again after many hours of playing terraria I got burnt out of it, for several months until I learned how to install mods.

I don't play terraria nearly as much as I did in the past, but sometimes I like to boot it up and play a bit. I even made a really bad mod at one point so that is cool. But nonetheless I hope that this game continues into the future and many others will enjoy this game like I once did.

I began playing on mobile back before even 1.1 was out on there, and continued on mobile for many years. Some of my earlier childhood memories actually consist of me cautiously blowing up ebonstone to get to the lower levels of the dungeon(my world gen screwed up) and getting jumpscared by the dungeon guardian. Many an afternoon was spent mining or searching for fallen stars in preparation to fight a boss. I spent many years on mobile until eventually my ipad stopped working, and I decided to buy terraria on steam. To this day, I'm still trying to get 200 fishing quests for that one last achievement.

I first started playing Terraria on mobile after a friend had recommended it to me and after having begged my dad for some money to buy it, he eventually gave in. In my first world, I thought I was good at the game because I confused Demon Eyes with the Eye of Cthulhu when a friend showed me a pic of the boss. I told him: "oh yea I've defeated many of those", whilst at that stage only having lead armour and a lead broadsword. On my first day playing in my new world, I created 'the best house I've ever seen' (not). I then started running across my world towards the left and found an ice biome. After being slain a few times by Ice Slimes, I decided to travel towards the right side of my world. I then stumbled upon the Crimson. Not knowing that it's extremely dangerous, I wandered further into it. There I was confronted by a Face Monster and two Crimera's. At first, I had no idea what they were. Suddenly, they attacked me, so I started running for my life. I reached home, but unfortunately, the Face Monster made it inside. A few embarrassing respawns later, after being slain in my own house each time I respawn, I finally defeated it and continued my Terraria journey in peace (most of the time XD). I finally bought the PC version on the Terraria anniversary!:cool::p

Ah, Terraria. I remember back in the old days all the way back in 2011? My brother introduced me to the game, but I don't remember this as much. I soon stopped playing the game by the time 1.2 came out, though I still occassionally watched videos on it (especially by Yrimir, who I remember watching as well as Pedguin).

Then came 2017. I returned to the game. The 1.3.5 update had come out, so the game was completely different than how I remembered it. I played through the game on Normal Mode and I was having a blast. Then all of my stuff got corrupted right before fighting the Wall. So I was forced to start all over again, but I eventually got back to speed. I eventually beat the game. So what I did next was play the game on Expert Mode. Along my journey, I made videos and shared them with my friends. But Terraria has become an important part of my life. I eventually introduced to a wonderful Modded community and I'm trying lots of great things! Thank you, Re-Logic.

My school friends used to talk about Terraria almost non-stop, so I've decided to try it out too, and since then this game is one of my favorite games of all time.

The first time I played this game, I appeared in a world surrounded by buildings made of stone, copper, iron, silver and gold ore. It was a happy land.

I mined for a good hour or so before I had to go to bed, but not before my young and naive self decided to Alt+F4 the game rather than save and quit. I never did that again.

Thank you for the fantastic memories. I wouldn't trade them for the world.

I was formerly an SMBX player and was also following it's last official 1.3 update.
From there, I've heard later that Redigit stopped working on it to work on a game called "Terraria", this was the first time I've heard the name.

In 2013, I started my study at a programming college, there I've discovered that many of my classmates were playing Terraria too. I've ignored it first, seeing it as a 2D Minecraft. but after I noticed it had strange creatures like the Eater of Souls, Eye of Cthulhu and Ocram, I found that this game had a much creepier yet interesting style going on. I had discovered Terraria again in the app store, and decided to give it a try, since I did knew it was the same creator as SMBX. The Tutorial really helped me to get used to the game. And I wanted to try the PC version. I wasn't allowed to buy stuff online untill my 18th, so I've pirated the game that time to see what it is about.

The experience itself was really great, the game was in 1.1.2 back then, so it still had that 16-bit style.
One of my most notable experiences were how the Guide was trapped underwater and I wanted him to move in my house, NPC's didn't drown, so I had to risk myself everytime I needed more info, and did countless attempts to move him out of the water. Only to discover that I was missing a chair in my room:
Terraria 6 year.png (<- Funny enough, this was made for Terraria's 6th anniversary)

Other experiences were that my Classmates didn't liked new players, so they tricked me thinking that once you've entered hardmode, your character turns hardcore when joining other players. I did wanted to risk it anyways. But they still didn't let me. :p
And after I've turned 18 and got my own bank card, the first thing I did was buying Terraria for the full price. But after all the hours I've already made into the game, I wish I could've given more money to it.

Back then I saw Terraria as a single-time try, as I had many other online progression games going on too, but after 1.2 happened, I've started to get more hooked into it than any other game. The artstyle, music, gameplay fits the game so well. And the creativity in either buildings, wires, character builds and playthrough styles gives this game an endless replayability.

I'd say Terraria really has changed me in a great way, It's artstyle was so stylish, that it has become my main motivation point to draw again, and getting better in drawing too. I've also made several playthroughs, guides, videos and characters that I wouldn't have done before playing it. And it may have become indirectly my motivation point to try the XNA engine it was build on, and succeeding in my programming certification that way.

Terraria has sticked to me more than any other game has done for 6 years already, and even when the time comes to move on, I won't forget what it has done to me. :)

Terraria was very confusing for me in the beginning, since I was relying on my friend for everything. My experience with Terraria has been very different than most because I was always relying on what he said to be true, but just to find out later that it wasn’t true. If I were to do this again, I would explore it myself and figure out everything for myself instead of relying upon a tutorial or someone else, just for the sake of experiencing a game the way it should be, by learning from only what you have discovered without outside help. Not much of a story, sorry.

Hmm.. Wow, this is going back a long ways. Iirc I found Terraria from Stampy. The first platform I played on was Mobile, and I LOVED it. I remember when I tried to make my first house, I made it out of wooden platforms. I also remember eating hours for a solar eclipse, only to find it wasn't added. Did anyone else fight the destroyer with a drill. Oh and Turkor and Lepus. Yes. Anyways, a few years later, my brothers got me Terraria for the Xbox 360. (I get to keep the removed exclusives, let's gooo.) However, the day they got that, 1.2 came out for mobile! Unfortunately, when it dropped, my 1.1 op char got deleted, but I was able to get all the new stuff! (BONUS: I still haven't finished my 1.2 mobile char.) Once again a few years later, I got steam, and my first game was Terraria. However, my old pc was trash and couldn't run it. Then, I got a new computer, and I was playing it non-stop! Today, I still play it a lot, but I play a bunch of modded. That's the end of my story, bye bye!

I remember what first got me into terraria was a youtuber, paulsoaresjr, actually the youtuber that got me into minecraft as well. I remember watching some of his videos, and in one, he mentioned terraria. I thought it sounded cool, and it turned out he made some videos on it, too. So i watched them, and thought "Hey, this game looks great!" So i ended up getting it and having a blast. However, my first world was on mediumcore, and i was still new, so when i went into hardmode, i only had a light's bane and no magic mirror because i couldn't find one. So i only destroyed three altars because i didn't want to destroy too many and i didn't know how much ore it would make. So it took me forever to get any of the ores and i only managed to make swords out of them. Eventually, i found a magic mirror, but it was a long way from my base and i died right after, so i decided to start a new world.

One of my favorite memories was beating the pumpkin moon. This was back in 1.2.2(the first version i got the game in) and i was playing a melee character in a corruption world, so i didn't have much firepower. Eventually, with traps, i managed to get to wave 15, which was a huge accomplishment for me.

My absolute worst luck in the game here:
So i finally got a corruption key mold. I go to the dungeon and make my way to the corruption chest. I opened it and got the scourge of the corruptor. I had some fun killing mobs with it, and two minutes later(still in the dungeon), i die. Great. I'm on mediumcore, so i'm going back and what do i get? A solar eclipse. So i figure "well, i'll just go out of the game and back in so i respawn at my house and then i can wait out the eclipse." I click save and quit to title.

0_0

So basically, i lost my scourge of the corruptor permanently 2 minutes after getting it. Other stuff i lost:

Terra blade
Death sickle

And this was back in 1.2.2, so all three of those were extremely rare items.

So more recently, i made a world with the express purpose of reclaiming the scourge. i got it, and i still have it.

The community came out big time on this one. So many wonderful stories and fantastic memories all balled up in this one thread, thanks to everyone that joined in!

Entries are now closed, and a raffle winner will be announced soon.

Congratulations to @Quill, the winner of $50 steam money, who was chosen by random draw! Thanks so much to everyone that shared their story and wonderful memories!

Quill, you will be contacted by private message regarding your prize. Please allow a couple of days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom