NPCs & Enemies Terraria's Bosses Like To Break Rules

I would hate this sugestion as it removes each bosses individual charecter. The only one that might need change is the Duke barely giving you room to fight him though you can easily wait until the moon lord is defeated (Expert Duke Fishron>>Expert Moon Lord in difficulty)
That said the change log in 1.3 said something about The duke being more lenient in the range which while I haven't tested it may have completely solved this issue.

I would hate this sugestion as it removes each bosses individual charecter. The only one that might need change is the Duke barely giving you room to fight him though you can easily wait until the moon lord is defeated (Expert Duke Fishron>>Expert Moon Lord in difficulty)
That said the change log in 1.3 said something about The duke being more lenient in the range which while I haven't tested it may have completely solved this issue.

That's only the range that he decides to despawn if you go too far.

Doesn't have anything to do with his enrage mechanic AFAIK.

That's only the range that he decides to despawn if you go too far.

Doesn't have anything to do with his enrage mechanic AFAIK.
So the distance the player can travel without instantly dying isn't increased? That is a shame as the ocean biome is too small for a proper boss fight and arena.
This mechanic would then still need serious tweaking then.

How is the ocean too small? Are you playing on a new world type that only has 50 blocks of ocean or something? There's nearly three screens worth of blocks in the ocean - that's more than enough room to kite it in.

I'd be okay with tooltips saying that boss spawners can only be used at night or in certain biomes but saying that they all need to have the same penalty for night ending is silly. The end result is ultimately the same unless you're playing a Hardcore character, and if you're playing Hardcore I'd like to imagine you are very, very aware of the dangers of Skeletron/Prime gibbing you if you take too long. Everything post-mech sticks around until you leave its range or it kills you anyway...

The reason Skeletron kills you is because the old man needs to respawn and Prime because its now a tradition..?

But Plantera and Duke go rage mode is because of people being able to easily beat them by making long run ways outside of their respective spawn locations so they added enraged modes to counter balance it.

Quick idea that might serve both sides...

Boss phase determines behavior
E.G. eye of cthulhu runs away at dawn in phase 1, but swallows you whole at dawn in phase 2.

Bosses are an absolute nightmare for players who aren't prepared for their auto-spawns, so only players who are capable of getting the boss low should have to risk the instakill.

This would save many hardcore runs from a mistimed skeletron prime

All of these activate if the boss has not been killed in 8-12 minutes
------------------------------------------------------------
Eye of Cthulhu
1. Runs away
2. Swallows you whole after following at about half dungeon guardian speed, but health and defense remain the same, so you can still win
EoW
1.(More than half of body segments alive)
Flees underground
2.(less than half of body segments alive)
Spawns 2 devourers and one eater for every segment killed so far, and remaining segments separate and act like one segment worms
BoC
1. Runs away
2. Gains the moon lord's tongue effect, but it just gives health from healing items to the boss instead and prevents escape and magic mirror use
Skeletron
1. (Hands intact)
Flies down into the dungeon
2. (Hands destroyed)
Headbutts at the player like the EoC's charge, losing all defence and dealing half damage without any headbutt cooldown
WoF
It already has its own system
The Destroyer
1. (More than half probes alive)
Flees underground
2. (More than half probes killed)
Launches a probe from each segment, and each segment releases a new probe when the old one dies
The Twins
This one's hard, so I'll list a few possibilities

(Retinazer gains an ability like the moon lord's eye or the martian saucer, just reddish purple and thinner, and spazmatizm's fire sticks to blocks)

Both eyes phase one
Flee

One eye phase two
Other eye enters phase two regardless of health

Both eyes phase two
Eye at lower health dies and its remaining health goes to the other eye, which now starts to act like I mentioned above (spazmatizm starts painting fire on things as well as targeting the player, and retinazer sweeps the mega beam back and forth every few seconds)

One eye alive in phase one
Health refills and same as previous

One eye alive in phase two
Health does not refill, but spazmatism's fire attacks all happen constantly and simultaneously for the rest of the fight, and retinazer now exclusively uses the mega beam accurately with short breaks between firings
Skeletron Prime
Same as normal Skeletron
Plantera
As plantera has no flee mechanic, I'll just skip her, but she gets the WoF's tongue ability in phase 2 to keep the player in the underground jungle
Golem
Same situation, but gains the ability to use a tractor beam on the player in phase 2 to keep the player in the room
Cultist
The flaming tablet leaves a portal behind after breaking that fades through the pillars' color spectrum throughout the fight

If the cultist is below half health after ten minutes, the portal will spawn an enemy based on the color
Solar: Crawltipede with no weak point

Stardust: Star Cell, but the last two baby cells remaining are super glowy and can't be killed unless the boss dies

Nebula: spawns a Brain Suckler that can be knocked off your head for about twenty seconds but not killed

Vortex: same as Stardust, but with two Alien Larvae
Moon Lord
Will occasionally swing hands like Skeletron, but if the hand hits you, the mouth hole in the palm swallows you

Open to replies and criticism, maybe apply this stuff only to expert mode or something

I like the more simple idea of just making Skeletron and the mech bosses fightable at any time of day, or maybe still make you summon them at night but don't force the fight to end at sunrise.

I think the boss fights work very well but then I wondered why they suddenly go overpowered.
Example, Wall of flesh kills you if you run too far from it. Plantera kills you if you go out the biome. Skeletron suddenly turns overpowered in the day. Bosses only use full power half way through fight if they are a 2 phase boss. I don't understand these unknown powers.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom