Story Terrraria

Realith

Dungeon Spirit
Notes: The random words where swear words should be are just replacements (I HATE swearing [weird, I know] so this story is 100% clean). I also post irregularly so keep checkin' for updates :). Helpful criticism is welcome.
Chapter
- 1 -

Taken

Wandering through the forest, Will, Jay, Mira, and Skye looked for adventure.
"Can we stop?" complained Jay "My legs are gonna die!"
"We just stopped like ten minutes ago!" said Will who was already getting annoyed by his constant protests. "Looks like its going to be sundown in twenty minutes. I just want to get to that cave." He pointed at a medium-sized rock overhang twenty meters ahead of the group.
"My legs aren't even tired!" said Mira who was the most joyful of them.
"At least Mira can keep our spirits high," said Skye with a small giggle.
When they reached the cave, Will set down his sleeping bag first.
"Me and Jay will get some sticks," said Will. "You gals get set up and get the food ready."
"Aye aye sir." said Mira rolling her eyes.
With that, they ran off.
"I'm glad were here for the summer," said Skye who was lounging on her sleeping bag, "No schoolwork for the next TWO MONTHS!"
"I can agree with that," said Mira as she pulled some marshmallows and a lighter out of her bag.
Out of sight from the others, Will and Jay were picking up sticks for the campfire.
"Can you tell me what were doing out here again?" asked Jay as he picked up a rotting log.
"Are you that forgetful?" replied Will.
"You told us the plan three hours ago!"
Will let out an annoyed sigh. "Were gonna explore the forest near our neighborhood. Is that so hard to remember?"
"Well if I walk for three hours and my legs feel as if they're gonna fall off, then yes, I will forget that," said Jay. "At least its not as bad as your clumsiness."
Will was known at school for one of the most clumsiest people so it was painfully true. But he got used to it and laughed at the many times he did something 'stupid' as his teachers referred.
"Remember the time I spilled sulfuric acid onto Mr Don?" asked Will.
"You could've killed me you little brat!" Said Jay imitating his voice. "Yeah that was funny. Do you think we have enough wood?"
"Yep. Lets get back before the girls think we ran away like cowards."

Stars shone above the fading twilight as Mira and Skye finished the camp set-up.
"Where are those boys?" said Mira who was already getting impatient, "they've been gone for ages!"
"Actually, just half an hour," said Skye looking at her watch.
As if on cue, Will and Jay walked into view holding a ton of sticks in their arms.

"Welcome back guys," said Skye as she put a marshmallow on a stick.
"We did as you asked Will," said Mira as she handed Jay a lighter.
While the boys were away, Mira and Skye did a wonderful job of setting up the food, a pit for the campfire, and getting the sleeping bags unrolled.
"Very nice work guys," said Will as he started putting the wood in a tent-like fashion.
Just then, it started raining with made-for-television-style effects.
"Now this is what you call paradise," said Jay as he sipped hot chocolate from his thermos.
As the thunder and lighting crashed outside with the campfire already lit, the four friends exchanged conversations with each other.
"Remember what our parents said?" asked Skye with a hint of concern in her voice.
"Yes, I remember," said Will. "Stay safe, come back every two days, blah blah blah, yada yada yad--"
"And don't get in trouble," Mira jokingly scolded
The storm outside the 'cave' intensified with increased flashes of lightning and crashes of thunder.
"Man this storm is getting real bad," said Jay not quite succeeding in hiding his fear.
More lightning flashed but it wasn't the normal-and-frightening lightning, these charges flashed different colors. Some flashed yellow and red, others cyan, purple and pink, and a dark shade of blue. CRASH! CRASH! CRASH!
"I have a very bad feeling about this," said Will who was quite frightened himself.
"What the stuff is going on?!!?" cried Mira looking a shade or two paler.
"Whatever this is, I hope it doesn't have death right at its heart!" yelled Skye more confused and interested than scared.
Suddenly a powerful gust of wind entered the overhang and blew the kids off their feet and carried them toward the sky toward a glowing white portal where dark clouds were circling and from which the colored lightning came from.
"What is that thing?!!?" yelled Jay at the top of his lungs.
His voice could barely be heard over the violent whirlwind and as he, Will, Mira, and Skye got sucked into the widening wormhole.

Chapter
- 2 -

Learning the Ropes

As the four friends flew up through the portal, they saw all colors of the spectrum. The colors blew past them in a blur as they flew through the otherworldly gateway with colors ranging from the deepest black to every the whitest of white. The colors seemed more vivid as well—bluer than blue, redder than red, greener than green. They were all familiar colors but intensified to a degree not known possible.
They were too shocked by the dazzling eye candy to converse.

Suddenly everything went dark and they started falling. Falling through impenetrable blackness. It took a few moments for them to realize that they weren't falling anymore but laying on their sides.
Will weakly felt his eyes were closed. He felt sunlight seeping through his eyelids so he opened them.
He, Jay, Skye, and Mira were laying in a grassy green plain in between two hills.
"Hey guys, wake up!" said Will shaking them.
"Where are we?" asked Jay wearily.
"Are the colors gone?" asked Mira.
"Are we alive?" asked Skye rubbing her eyes.
Besides succeeding in waking his friends, Will heard something other than the gentle whistle of the wind, or the tweeting of birds above. It was . . . music.
The music was cheery and upbeat with it conveying happiness. It seemed to emanate from everywhere.
"Do you guys hear that?" asked Will.
"The music?" said Skye. "Its hard to miss."
"Its quite nice,actually," commented Mira.
"What kind of world has its own music?" asked Jay, curiosity in his tone.
"Hello!" a voice called.
The four kids whirled around in surprise to see a man walking towards them.
He had messy brown hair and a friendly face.
"Greetings," he said. "my name is Andrew, and . . . wait a minute, your kids!"
"Isn't that obvious?" said Skye folding her arms.
"Only on rare occasions does Terraria ever bring in kids." he wondered aloud.
"Oh yeeeeaaaaaah," said Will stretching out the word. "I almost forgot to ask."
He inhaled sharply as Andrew mentally braced for a shout, but Will said in calm words, "Where in whatever world are we?"
"Why, you're in the world of Terraria," said Andrew. "One of many, many others."
"Wait . . . there are other worlds where other people have been sucked into?" asked Jay, perplexed by the statement.
"Thousands more!" exclaimed Andrew. "I would give you the particulars but it would put you to sleep in seconds.Though I was expecting you kids to freak out."
"Well," said Mira. "Lets just say that we four have experienced a lot of 'being-sucked-into-a-different-world' situations that we wanted it to happen to us."
"I think we should be more careful about what we wish for," said Skye.
Andrew laughed softly. "You sure are an interesting bunch. But I should teach you the basics of this world before you get killed. Do you notice the numbers and hearts above your heads?"
The kids were so tangled in conversation that they didn't even notice five red hearts with a white, glowing 100/100 above them hovering over their heads.
"What is that?" asked Will in astonishment.
"Its your health bar," said Andrew. "In Terraria, you can't feel any pain but if you're in a situation where you should, like falling or from an enemy, it goes down."
"Oh really?" asked Jay as he aimed a punch at Will's shoulder. As Jay's fist touched it, his hand went through it like it was nothing.
"What is up with that?" asked Skye.
"The creator wanted the people who got pulled into Terraria to be cooperative and not be able to overpower each other," said Andrew. "They also did this because some of the weapons you can obtain are huge! So he didn't want any accidental killing."
"When our health bar goes down, we die right?" asked Mira.
"Of course," said Andrew. "But the creator made the world so that you can cheat death. And after you die, you wait ten seconds and then respawn as if nothing happened. You also can never get tired, no matter what."
All the kids' jaws dropped. They have heard nothing like this in all of their lives.
"Where do you fit in?" asked Will, still gobsmacked by the information that was processing in his mind.
"I am one of twenty-one characters that help you survive and thrive in this world," said Andrew. "NPC's for short. I was created to help you guys craft and advise you on what to do next. But for now, lets continue with the tutorial. Say the word 'inventory'."
The kids gave him a confused look but did it anyways.
"Inventory," they said in unison.
Suddenly a grid appeared in front of each of them. It had ten columns and five rows with the uppermost bold. At the bottom left corner there was a smaller 2x4 grid that said 'ammo' on the left and 'coins' on the right. Below them was a trash can and a chest with dots around it.
"I keep waiting for this place to stop getting weird and it keeps not happening!" cried Jay in surprise.
"Things are going to get weirder and weirder as you progress," said Andrew with a smile.
Will extended a hand towards the grid, hesitated, and passed his hand through it.The contact created only the faintest whisper of sensation.
"This grid is your inventory," explained Andrew. "Dropped items would be collected in these forty slots. The top row is called the 'Hotbar' and where the items you use most will be stored. The six smaller slots are where your ammo and coins, which you will use to purchase different and unique items from the different NPC's, will be kept. You could also summon it with the will of the mind or in other words, simply thinking that the grid will appear or disappear. Look at your left arm."
They looked at their left arms and found that the 'hotbar' was hovering over it. At closer inspection, there were small white numbers on the top left of every of the ten slots, from one to zero. One being the first and zero being the tenth.
Looking at the first three slots, Skye noticed three tools that seemed to be made of copper— a shortsword, pickaxe and an axe. "Where did we get these tools?" she asked.
"Every person that gets to Terraria recieves these tools to help them get started. You probably should get started before nightfall, we already wasted half the day."
"Wasted half the day?!" cried Mira.
"Terrarian day only lasts about fifteen minutes and night lasts nine. I'll explain more about the world as you guys progress. Now go! The sun is already dipping past the halfway mark. You'd be dead in seconds without a shelter. Start with chopping down some trees.
The kids exchanged worried looks, then each started running towards different trees. Will suddenly noticed something.
"How do we use our axes?" he called to Andrew.

Chapter
- 3 -

House

Andrew wanted to kick himself. How could have he forgotten to tell them how to use their items? "That's why the hotbar's slots have numbers!" he yelled in response. "Just think about the number that is in the slot that contains the axe and it will appear in your hand!"
The kids heard his response and they vividly thought of the number three. Suddenly the bronze axe appeared in their hands, seeming to materialize out of nothing. Since they were almost used to whatever 'Terraria' threw at them, their initial shock disappeared and they got straight to cutting.
Jay's axe hit the tree's trunk with a loud THUNK! and instead of leaving a scar, a small, black crack could be seen on it. Unfazed by its unusual appearance, Jay continued hitting the tree. The crack grew and went around the trunk everytime he struck it until it went all around the tree's circumference. At what he knew was the last hit before the tree fell, Jay began to say "TIMBER!" but instead of the tree falling, it completely disappeared with acorns and perfectly cut wooden planks raining down from the tree's height, cutting him off.
Jay quickly dove away avoiding the falling items. After jumping away he noticed something odd. The acorns and planks fused together in mid-air and instead of falling at a high speed, they gently fell through the air as made of foam. And when they hit the ground, didn't even make a sound.
"I really need to ask Andrew about this," he muttered to himself.
Once the kids had over a hundred 'wooden planks' in each of their hotbars, they trotted over to Andrew for more instructions.
"Does everyone have a good amount of wood?" he asked.
They answered in the positive.
"Ok, just select that wood and place it on the ground to start building."
"Just, like, plop it on the ground and leave it?" asked Mira in disbelief.
"I know it sounds absurd, but just do it," replied Andrew.
Mira crouched down and placed the wooden block on the ground. The second it touched the ground, it suddenly turned into a wooden cube the size of her head. Another wooden plank appeared in her hand. Upon closer inspection, the number of planks Mira held in her inventory hovered over the plank in her hand like a hologram.
Sky tried to kick the wooden block, but it wouldn't budge from the place which it sat.
"So, we just build onto that?" asked Will.
"Yep," replied Andrew. "Once the house is finished, I shall move in. Just don't forget to put a light source, door, table, and chair."
"Does that mean that every time we build a new house, a uh . . . NPC moves in?" asked Jay.
"Correct. But you should really start building. This sun ain't gonna last long."
The kids proceeded in building a large box that would be big enough to house the five of them for the night. During the construction of the roof, Skye noticed a group of what seemed to be clear green blobs of slime or jelly hopping towards them.
"What on earth are those?" she asked.
"They are your first enemies that you will meet," replied Andrew as he pulled out a wooden bow.
"Those things?" asked Will. "They don't seem harmful at all."
A white bird landed in front of the blobs and the kids watched in jaw-dropping horror as a slime crushed it, sending its bloody corpse flying.
"Did one of those things just kill a bird?" asked Mira.
"Yes my friend, one of them just did."
His tone indicated that he probably saw this happen every day.
"I shall avenge thee bunny!" Shouted Jay as he jumped of the roof with his copper sword in hand.
He started slicing at the slimes. Every time his sword connected a number appeared over the fight, mostly 5 and 6, but sometimes a big glowing 8.
"Are those damage numbers?" Asked Skye as she watched intently.
"Yes they are!" Said Andrew while he shot wooden arrows at the slimes. "I think your friend needs help!"
A slime Jumped towards Jay, knocking him forward a few feet. Unfortunately, this caught him of focus and allowed more slimes to pounce on him.
His health bar was going down as well from 100/100 to 100/60 in a couple of seconds.
"A little help!?" yelled Jay, panic seeping into his voice.
The others jumped down and instantly destroyed the slimy invasion.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom