Texture Pack Texture a day pack

TheCraziestFox

Terrarian
Welcome back, friends, followers and foes alike! My life is a bit more busy now and this will really cut into my WoT time, but I'm back for the foreseeable future.
(I have been working for some time already, but I wanted to establish the front first. Turns out, that takes a lot more time, than I thought, so I'll work on that alongside the main content.)

To the few of you who have not heard of this pack here is the deal: Every day, unless time or connection intervenes, I'll add more textures. It is up to you whether you'll provide feedback and what it will be. This way the thread will hopefully stay fresh and keep people interested. I'm open to suggestions, but demands will be pointed and laughed upon. This will be released as a full-fledged texture pack, once enough textures have been made. All of the sprites will be done... eventually.

The old thread can still be found here:
http://www.terrariaonline.com/threads/texture-a-day.82840/

Download link is coming soon, once I go over the new stuff and figure out what works and what is already outdated...

Toolbox.png
Guns.png

Last edited:
Day 201

Magic is not hard in its raw form. You need power, a conduit and a focus. A simple staff or a wand will do just nicely. All you need is a metal rod to channel the power and give it a direction and a precious or at least semi-precious stone to act as a focus where the raw energy coalesces into a coherent form. There are no incantations, no summonings, no magic runes and wards, just basic laws of magic put to practice. Rare materials tend to yield better results, but the principle is basically the same. Just be careful not to use iron or lead. Those metals are known to disrupt magic and the supernatural.

Day201.png

Day 202

Mahogany is among the world"s most beuatiful and sought after materials. Very tough and heavy, it lends itself to an aura of stability and endurance. A tool made from such timber would be the envy of every craftsman, even competing with metal ones as far as sheer mass and weight is concerned. Weapons made from it would no doubt be quite formidable. No matter how dense a wood is, however, it rarely retains a good edge, that is why the cultures with access to such a luxurious material often use equally rare additions such as shark teeth to create a dangerous edge for a gogeous weapon.

Day202.png

Day 203

Moral or ethical implications aside, minefields are rather useful. The trouble with minefields however is that not only are they very tricky to create, they are even worse to get rid of. The proximity mine launcher completely solves all those prolems by providing a man portable platform capable of dispensing an impressive number of mines within a short timespan. This allows the user to quickly saturate an area with proximity mines giving them a clear advantage in any kind of an attack. The mines are also programmed to explode if they are not triggered in a certain amount of time, preventing civilian or unintended casualties after the conflict is over and removing any need for a clean up operation afterwards. Unfortunately the mines available to the public have very short fuses which can lead to friendly fire if the mine explodes prematurely.

Day203.png

Day 204

In a world as dangerous as Terraria, beggars can't certainly be choosers. And when the night comes and scary creatures roam the countryside, It won't matter what your tools are made of, but rather how hard they hit. Ebonwood can be tricky to get, hard to work with and tends to grow disguisting green tumours, but it's also very heavy and a heavy stick hits harder than a soft one. As long as you don't mind periodically cutting green blobs off your items, you will be just fine. Mostly.

Day204.png

Day 205

Platinum is, like most metals, silvery, malleable and very ductile. What makes it precious, however is it's inert nature. It can withstand corrosion even when heated to considerable temperatures. This makes it incredibly suitably for terraria's numerous hostile environments and it has even slightly better magical properties than gold. It is however, very rare, which lead to it's use as legal tender and a prime material for jewelery, although one would be hard pressed to tell it apart from silver without prior training. If you can find it, make sure to take advantage having a ready access to a noble metal gives you.

Day205.png

Day 206

Sometimes normal sources of light just don't cut it anymore. Sometimes you need more light, more coverage, more substance. Sometimes you need gemspark lights. The principles of magical lighting have been known for eons, but large scale usage was limited because of the power requirements needed to sustain such output was unfeasible. But with the advances in magical engineering, new power sources and the lack of environmental concerns meant that a new generation of gemspark blocks could be created for a fraction of their former cost and easily shaped into whatever shape you need.

Day206.png

Day 207

Very rarely can you find anything in Terraria that does not have a nefarious use. Crimson in particular is rife with items and body parts anyone can use to doom themselves. Since the crimson is a relatively new phenomenon, scientists will pay good money for any fresh tissue samples of the crimson wildlife. Even their vertebrae is not safe to collect. One or two should not pose any significant danger, but collect enough of them and you might attract some very unwanted attention.

Day207.png

Day 208
(@Blood Raven Edition)

Palladium, like the other high elements of the periodic table in Terraria has been tainted by the release of the souls of order and chaos. The silver metal has been given an orange tint and much improved mechanical qualities. Previously unremarkable metal, used mostly as in alloys or as a catalyst, has been made into one of the more dangerous materials available. Usually mounted within brass frames, palladium has proven itself far superior to conventional metals and even cobalt, although the weight of palladium items is not insignificant. Still, in skilled hands, palladium gear will prove quite deadly.

Day208.png

Day 209

Ship travel was never without a fair bit of danger. Oceans were treacherous all on their own, but once air travel began to appear, a need for a simple way to secure cargo was needed. Chests were always an option, but they were unnecessarily heavy and expensive. If the transport of cargo were to be viable, a larger and more affordable option had to be found. Thus crates were born. little more than a bunch of planks hammered together, they were cheap, they were roomy and they were easy to manufacture in large quantities. They were perfect. Wooden crates became insufficient for the more demanding cargo, but that need was later answered by the metal crates and later on even the magic infused golden boxes.

Day209.png

Day 210

Standardization is a way of the future. Gone are the days of old where cannonballs had to be hand picked to fit into the breach, where you could have a stacks of ammunition, but nothing to shoot with, because the gun was of a different calibre. No, the future is here, where the same ammo pack could be used by completely different classes of weaponry. How is a closely guarded secret, but suffice to say that each of the rocket packs can be used for multiple roles. Ehether you want to demolish a mountain with a well placed rocket, or mine a strategic position with a set of concussion mines, the multi-purpose rocket packs will provide.

Day210.png

Day 211

As if using hellstone tools was not dangerous enough, there are people who are not above using this incredibly dangerous substance to create weaponry. Some such items may be the obvious evolution of known concepts. A ball on a chain can easily be made more dangerous if the ball is made out of an infernal rock. Others are just a bit harder to understand. We may never know who it was that looked at a burning stone and wondered how to make a bow out of it.

Day211.png

Day 212 (@Jestex edition)

Guns are guns. There is no way around it. Whether you favour technology, the slow progress of metalurgy, soft mechanics and the science of terminal balistics, or you prefer firearms imbued with the power of nature spawned deep within the bowels of the unknown jungles, the choice is yours. No matter your preference, be it the far reach of marksman rifles, the reassuring weight of a hefty handgun or even the compact power offered by an SMG, the world of Terraria is a wonderful place for gun connoisseurs .

Day212.png

Day 213 (@Blood Raven edition)

The finest of the silvery grey metals, a material that had almost a mythical status long before the spirits changed it along with the other ores. Titanium was the very embodiment of strenght, it was light, it was tough it was very, very cool and anything with titanium in it instantly became much better. Titanium was used for anything from space ships to paint. Such uses need not concern the average adventurer, though. What is important that they are able to get their hands on one of the most valuable metals, and the gear that is possible to be created from it. Who knows, there even might be a bit of magic still left in it.

Day213.png

Day 214 (@Blood Raven edition)

The boom in the balloon industry (no pun intended) has taken all of Terraria by surprise. No longer were simple rubber balloons enough, more elobrate and complicated baloons were devised. Helium too, was replaced by strange and magical filling, clouds at first, then somebody had an idea to place entire storms inside them. Baloons with... noxious substances or baloons made out of honey were also sold, but never saw much commercial success. Eventually the balloons had so much lift, people were forced to weigh them down with horseshoes to keep them from flying off, but that still didn't prevent people from tethering them together and attempt to fly. They almost succeeded.

Day214.png

Day 215

At this point, it is pretty clear that Terraria is a pretty dangerous place to live. The number of benign creatures living in the wild is astonishingly small, their niches being already occupied by literal bloodthirsty monsters. Stingers are one such threat. This family of insects has evolved to unusual proportions and their viciousness is second to none. Just a stroll through the jungle will attract these insects from far and wide, forming a seemingly ceaseless onslaught. They are relentless in their pursuit, but worse than that, they don't even need to get close to cause a serious injury. Their eponimous stingers can be shot to incredible distances, not only causing serious stab wounds, but also release a deadly venom into the victim's blood. What is even more terrifying is the fact that stingers seem to have mutated into even more dangerous creatures...

Day215.gif

Last edited:
Loved the old thread on TO, glad to see this come back on TCF. Hope things don't get too in your way, and you can find yourself updating this thread regularly without a hassle; I just can't resist your incredible spritework and styling.

Days 199 and 200 are up on the old thread. I'll write a farewell message with a link here and ask a mod to close it down.
Makes me feel sad... like something has ended.

Yay! Finally! :happy:
Glad you came around to continue your project here at last! Feels like forever... :confused:
It does feel like forever. I... have had some personal issues. Those get resolved and my life will officially be perfect.
Sounds like a good time to return. Also I made a promise. I don't care to break those.

Hooray! The Fox is back! `:happy:
I hope that is now Christmas and not an 1st April `:p
Also, what do you think about this concept of hellstone?
RkRqlJm.png

mrfoxgrin.png
I love it! (reminds me a lot of Heroes of Might and Magic 3 lava tileset. And that looked badass.)
And it's not 1st April here... yet, so believe it!

Loved the old thread on TO, glad to see this come back on TCF. Hope things don't get too in your way, and you can find yourself updating this thread regularly without a hassle; I just can't resist your incredible spritework and styling.
I hope to upload more regularly again. Seeing how my life has more structure lately, that is entirely possible. Dont expect much from me until the Easter are over, though. I am working, though.

All of the arrows are done now. Working on ammo now. (among other things)
Thoughts?
Arrows.png

Last edited:
Oh, those arrows look really nice. I'd have to say my favourites would be the 5th and 14th arrow.

This is some really nice work here. I tend to play a lot of Terraria on a small windows tablet because it is nice and portable, but I think that I would have to transfer everything over to my desktop to handle a nice texture update like this.

Oh, those arrows look really nice. I'd have to say my favourites would be the 5th and 14th arrow.
The ice arrow (the arrows with the same shaft are different sprites for inventory and projectiles)?
Still not entirely convinced by the venom arrow.

The only thing that looks slightly iffy to me would be the Ice Bow's Arrow, but since it would be flying at high velocity, there's no problem. :happy:
I wanna see how it looks in-game, but I'm pretty satisfied with it for now.

This is some really nice work here. I tend to play a lot of Terraria on a small windows tablet because it is nice and portable, but I think that I would have to transfer everything over to my desktop to handle a nice texture update like this.
Yeah... I would actualy really like to port the texture pack to mobile I wonder if that's even possible. I've been playing terraria on android myself... it crashes something fierce, but it's still fun. Other than the crashes, its surprisingly well implemented.

Anyways, why aren't these in the equipment image in the main post?
day198-png.100212

The Sword should be in line with the Axe at least, right?

Yeah... I would actualy really like to port the texture pack to mobile I wonder if that's even possible. I've been playing terraria on android myself... it crashes something fierce, but it's still fun. Other than the crashes, its surprisingly well implemented.
I believe it's considered illegal to modify applications on app stores, so unfortunately that means no texture packs... the sprites you've made are pretty awesome though! I was wondering, how long you plan to do this before you consider it complete?

I believe it's considered illegal to modify applications on app stores, so unfortunately that means no texture packs... the sprites you've made are pretty awesome though! I was wondering, how long you plan to do this before you consider it complete?
If it stays to just a texture a day, then the answer is an indefinite and absurd amount of time. 1.3 is coming out in June, and we've barely dented the massive amount of sprites that were added (and need to be redone) since 1.2 came out.

Unfortunate, but true. :(

If it stays to just a texture a day, then the answer is an indefinite and absurd amount of time. 1.3 is coming out in June, and we've barely dented the massive amount of sprites that were added (and need to be redone) since 1.2 came out.

Unfortunate, but true. :(
I can see how this could easily be the case. Has the idea ever been put on the table to have others join in on the project? I mean a sprite a day is a ton of work, but maybe a different kind of sprite each day, while someone makes the variations could save some time and effort. For example, if a new design is made for a copper axe, then you could find someone in the community who is willing to make the same thing for each other variation of basic axes. It is small stuff like color changes, but a little help can go a long ways in things like that.

Others (myself included) pitch in, but it's always Fox who tweaks and finalizes everything afterwards. It's still going to take a really long time, though...

Others (myself included) pitch in, but it's always Fox who tweaks and finalizes everything afterwards. It's still going to take a really long time, though...
Hey Fox, are you guys looking for anyone else to help chip in? I will have my desktop set up in a week or so and can dedicate a decent amount of time to assisting. If there is anything that I can do to help, just let me know and I will see what I can get done!

Anyways, why aren't these in the equipment image in the main post?
day198-png.100212

The Sword should be in line with the Axe at least, right?
Pure, old fashioned negligence.
Yes, yes it should.

damn... this is gonna be awesome!
That's what's been driving this pack so far.
mrfoxsmile.png

That and people like SzGamer227.

I can see how this could easily be the case. Has the idea ever been put on the table to have others join in on the project? I mean a sprite a day is a ton of work, but maybe a different kind of sprite each day, while someone makes the variations could save some time and effort. For example, if a new design is made for a copper axe, then you could find someone in the community who is willing to make the same thing for each other variation of basic axes. It is small stuff like color changes, but a little help can go a long ways in things like that.
Even though the number on the days says 200, it has been many more. Days have become a different word for small batches over the time. Equally, it's rarely just one texture, usually anywhere between one and two dozen... And yes, it does take time. Right now, the number of finished sprites is around a thousand. That's a lot, that's also far too little.

Some sprite are easier than others. A lot of things will be simpler once the player character is done. Then the floodgates on NPCs and mobs will open.

Hey Fox, are you guys looking for anyone else to help chip in? I will have my desktop set up in a week or so and can dedicate a decent amount of time to assisting. If there is anything that I can do to help, just let me know and I will see what I can get done!
What SzGamer227 said. You are more than welcome to chip in, but I reserve the right to veto. Because I am a perfectionist control freak (also lazy). A good idea is to give a heads up of what you want to sprite so that multiple people dont work on the same thing. Follow the palette, try to keep the style and you are free to sprite your heart out.

Last edited:
Is there some kind of document that has a list of everything that is done, and what still needs to be done? Maybe something like a google doc could be used to keep track of it, and then people can check against it for things that they might want to work on.

Back
Top Bottom