Resolved Textures shaking when moving

Paladin.Knight

Terrarian
Hello everyone. I hope this is the right place. Long ago I encountered a strange problem. When I move in-game all the textures of paintings, walls, blocks etc. are shaking slightly and it is very annoying. The strage thing is that when I am completely zoomed in and completely zoomed out the textures don't shake. Only if I am ever so slightly in or out they begin to shake when I move. I have had this problem before and I remember fixing it by deleting my GPU drivers with DDU and reinstalling them with NVCleanstall. Then installing a later version of the drivers only for the problem to come back. Also overall the game is sort of stuttery and shaky.

My Pc specs
GPU: RTX 3060TI
CPU: i5-11600KF
RAM: 16GB

Here is that I have tried:
- reinstalling my drivers several times with DDU and NVCleanstall
- trying different setting in-game, including frame skip subtle, on or off, none of those works
- reinstalling
- verifying game files in steam
- deleting config.json
- recommended Nvidia control panel settings
and other things I forgot.

Link to a video I recorded demostrating the problem using Sublte, On and Off frame skip (Watch the video on 1080p and on fullscreen to see it):
Any help would be greatly appreciated. God bless.

Last edited:
Hello. I made a thread in the PC Technical Support forum, but I also wanted to paste it's link here so more people can potentially look at it and help.
Link to the thread in PC Technical Support: PC - Textures shaking when moving
Hi @Paladin.Knight - we don't allow duplicate threads so I've merged your new one into this existing one.

In terms of your issue - I can barely make out the problem, maybe I'm missing where to look at? If you've set your ingame zoom to be a non-round value then you will end up with some scaling artefacts as a result. Could this be it?

The strage thing is that when I am completely zoomed in and completely zoomed out the textures don't shake. Only if I am ever so slightly in or out they begin to shake when I move. I have had this problem before and I remember fixing it by deleting my GPU drivers with DDU and reinstalling them with NVCleanstall.
I think this has to do with the way the pixels are scaled/rendered at a fraction of a pixel rather than a full pixel.

When making pixel art, I also have to be aware when I'm resizing it, it always a size multiplied by 2, else the pixels will blend with one over the other. I think that's likely the scenario here too with rendering at a fraction of a scale.

Don't think this can be solved while keeping the pixels look sharp, it's the way how pixels works, so IMO the best solution is to keep the game fully zoomed out.

Hi @Paladin.Knight - we don't allow duplicate threads so I've merged your new one into this existing one.

In terms of your issue - I can barely make out the problem, maybe I'm missing where to look at? If you've set your ingame zoom to be a non-round value then you will end up with some scaling artefacts as a result. Could this be it?
I understand. I am sorry about that I didn't know. As for what you aren't seeing, look at the ogre trophy or any of the paintings when I move and you will see it shake when I move to a non round zoom value as you said, also the whole screen seems to shake in either left or right when I move for a bit. I used to have a 60hz monitor, I bought a 165hz monitor this summer and I think this is the problem, although I had it before with my 60hz monitor, I then upgraded my cpu and mother board and got it fixed while having the 60hz monitor. It's exactly the same before I upgraded my parts when I bought this new monitor. The strange thing is that I play on 60 fps and I have the game locked on 60hz through the NVidia Control Panel. I have a friend who has a 144hz monitor, we tested it and he had no such issues.

I understand. I am sorry about that I didn't know. As for what you aren't seeing, look at the ogre trophy or any of the paintings when I move and you will see it shake when I move to a non round zoom value as you said, also the whole screen seems to shake in either left or right when I move for a bit. I used to have a 60hz monitor, I bought a 165hz monitor this summer and I think this is the problem, although I had it before with my 60hz monitor, I then upgraded my cpu and mother board and got it fixed while having the 60hz monitor. It's exactly the same before I upgraded my parts when I bought this new monitor. The strange thing is that I play on 60 fps and I have the game locked on 60hz through the NVidia Control Panel. I have a friend who has a 144hz monitor, we tested it and he had no such issues.

If you set your zoom to be regular numbers (multiples of 2, 5, 10, 50, 100 etc - try them all and see) does it make a difference? I agree with ppowersteef that it's probably a scaling issue. If you have a high resolution monitor, e.g. 1440p it will likely compound the issue too.

If you set your zoom to be regular numbers (multiples of 2, 5, 10, 50, 100 etc - try them all and see) does it make a difference? I agree with ppowersteef that it's probably a scaling issue. If you have a high resolution monitor, e.g. 1440p it will likely compound the issue too.
Ok, here are my tests. My monitor is not 1440p, it's 1080p.

- So i tried on 101% and it seems to do the same thing, but it's slower, so rather than moving every pixel, it acts like vertical screen tearing if that makes sense.
On 102% the "vertical screen tearing" is a lot faster. On 103% it's the same. On 104% is a mix of "vertical screen tearing" and the texture shake. On 108% the "vertical screen tearing" is mostly not there and the shaking is there. On 150% there is only a bit of "vertical screen tearing". On 187% there is only a tiny bit of shaking. On 135% there is only shaking. Let me know if you want more percentages or any other tests.
- I forgot to mention these tests were ran on frame skip off.
- I ran the almost same percentages on subtle frame skip and on frame skip on, subtle performed the same as "off" and "on" performed the best, but still had the same problems.

Yep, ok that pretty much confirms it then. This isn't a bug, just an artefact that happens when you're trying to scale pixel art to a size that means not all the pixels can be a consistent width. As you move, there will be a different set of pixels on screen, so the scaling will have a subtly different effect.

To minimise this, you should play on a zoom level that results in even scaling. Normally this would be something like 100%, 150% so 200%. Playing in fullscreen mode if you aren't already should help too.

Yep, ok that pretty much confirms it then. This isn't a bug, just an artefact that happens when you're trying to scale pixel art to a size that means not all the pixels can be a consistent width. As you move, there will be a different set of pixels on screen, so the scaling will have a subtly different effect.

To minimise this, you should play on a zoom level that results in even scaling. Normally this would be something like 100%, 150% so 200%. Playing in fullscreen mode if you aren't already should help too.
Is there a possible fix?.. Or am i doomed to have this until I change my monitor?

Is there a possible fix?.. Or am i doomed to have this until I change my monitor?
There is nothing to fix - it's a side effect that always happens when scaling. It is odd that you get it at 100%, but that could be a lot of factors such as running in windowed mode, running Windows with zoom/scaling enabled, using a GPU-super resolution etc.

There is nothing to fix - it's a side effect that always happens when scaling. It is odd that you get it at 100%, but that could be a lot of factors such as running in windowed mode, running Windows with zoom/scaling enabled, using a GPU-super resolution etc.
Ah, okay. Thanks for the help. I am not running in windowed or windowed fullscreen, but will check the other stuff. I am not using a GPU super resolution whatever that is. And i will check the windows scaling stuff.

Back
Top Bottom