Thank you for leaving magic to be the worst class in the game.

Mystic

Terrarian
I don’t really know where to put this.

Magic where it’s at now, is very bad. I’ve been vocal about this for multiple years. A lot of people have been vocal about this. They get their damaged reduced by half if they decide to go for Mana Flower, or they get rewarded for getting hit(Magic Cuffs) with the lowest armor in the entire game.

Seriously, WHY. DO. YOU. ALL. ACT. LIKE. THIS. IS. OKAY.

It’s not. Melee becomes a ranged class that doesn’t use mana OR ammo, high defense for no reason, “Ohh but early game!!” Yeah, try being a mage early game.
Then we got the rangers, infinite pouch, or buying cheap bullets, making bullets out of whatever. “But they require alot of money!!” Whatever. Then you got specialized bullets for basically anything a mage can do.

I’m beyond baffled as to why developers think that mage is fine. Instead of nerfing the prism they nerf the entire dang class. I don’t know why they just dont allow us to regen mana as soon as we stop casting, or regen while casting. But nope, they decided to end the game with a big hug to melee, a pat on the head to ranger, and a brutal kick to mages. Talk about unfair. Thank god for mods.

Actually Summoners have the worst defense. Besides, Mages are meant to be pretty much "Glass Cannons", and also how does Mana Flower reduce damage by half? Unless you are talking about Mana Sickness, which can be easily avoided by just getting the mana stars that enemies drop. If you need to talk about the worst class, talk about summoners. They have bad defense and NOTHING to make that up. Yes, Melee has projectiles, but it's so it can be viable, and their projectiles aren't that great either.

Last edited:
wdym bad?

Mage is the 2nd best class in the game, and is viable in almost every stage of progression.

Melee is absolute garbage until the late game, and Summoner is the most inferior class in almost every stage of progression.

I will concede that the Mage class is inundated with a plethora of useless weapons, but the weapons that are viable constitutes its primary strengths. Summoner and Melee are challenges to play in most stages of progression, yet you instead point out how diminutive Mage is in comparison to Ranger? It's a blatant aphorism that Ranger is the de facto king of classes in terms of progression; of course the latter supersedes the former.

I'm not one to meticulously analyze and take note of balance changes, so my assessment of the recent changes may lack credibility. Nevertheless, I have completed the game an innumerable amount of times. With certainty, I believe that the nerfs to the Mage class barely put a dent in its gross viability.

If you're going to point out the issues with Mana regeneration, you can't dismiss the fact that Mana Potions are excessively cheap. Buying a chest-worth of Greater Mana Potions in bulk basically guarantees a secure supply of Mana until or after ML at the cost of some Gold. By the way, if you're irked by how you can't regenerate Mana when you stop casting, note that in regular cases you have to stand still to regenerate Mana. There is a caveat to this: Mana Regeneration Potions allow you to regenerate your mana as soon as you stop casting, disregarding the aforementioned requirement. It's not even that hard of a potion to craft in excess.

Next, in regards to Mana regeneration accessories, I will also concede to the notion that they are bad.
The Celestial Cuffs is a substandard accessory. One of its main features, Mana restoration per hit, is awful. However, I'm sure most players disregard this accessory in lieu of other more superior ones anyway.
The Damage Reduction of the Mana Flower accessories is a point of contention. In counter to this, I believe this defect is perfectly reasonable. The Mana Flower accessories endows Players with the ability to mindlessly chug Mana Potions and effectively guarantees that they will do so most efficiently. The Mana Sickness debuff scales with its duration, and its Damage Reduction effect is most prevalent when you initially imbibe yourself with a Mana Potion. Moreover, the Mana Flower accessories maximizes the intervals between the consumption of Mana Potions. This Damage Reduction from the Mana Flower is not only a reasonable quality, but it is a good one too. It intrinsically rewards and encourages players who manually drink Mana Potions to deal more Damage. Also, the Damage Reduction from the Mana Flower accessories is only 8%; it is barely noticeable anyway.

In response to the issue of Defense, all classes besides Melee are as durable as glass. This promotes mobility when the other classes have many more weapons with superior range,

On a personal note, I do not really care how powerful Melee, Mage, or Ranger is Post-ML, because Summoner is the class that really needs attention in that particular stage. In-fact, with max Summoner Damage Accs and Buffs, the only weapon that can barely go over 10k DPS is the Stardust Dragon. To put this in perspective, every other class has some weapon which far surpasses the 10k DPS mark.

Last edited:
Magic isn’t all that weak, really. It has very powerful weapon options and insane DPS.

I think it’s in the same boat as summoner, where people think it’s bad because the classes are harder to play, even though the items are actually insanely powerful if used correctly.

The number 1 thing about Mage is managing your mana correctly. You can’t *just* rely on your Mana Flower to carry your :red:, you also want some form if Magic Cuffs or Magnet to keep your mana flowing as well as a stockpile of Mana Regen potions. If you learn to control your mana spending, then the mana sickness debuff becomes irrelevant. In fact, I don’t even use an accessory for mana potions - I just map the mana potion button to Q where I can reach it in the middle of combat and use the accessory for offense or mobility.

Buff potions are especially important for Mage, more so than any other class. Magic Power is a flat 20% damage, which is not only more than any class emblem but also stacks with them. Mana Regen does the thing you complained about - regens mana at full tilt the second you set off of your magic weapon and refills a full 300+ mana bar in like 5 seconds.

I also want to say that Mana Sickness isn’t as bad as people pretend it is - its 25% damage penalty deteriorates quickly and evens out to a much smaller value especially if you resource mana well. And with Mage’s insane damage anyway, they still pull some of the best DPS in the game even with some of Mana Sickness’ penalties. Only exception is stuff that drain mana faster than mana cooldown ends, which have such overwhelming DPS that even after falling to 30-50% less damage, they are still some of the best in the game.

Mage is really a strategic glass cannon - you have to know what you’re doing and you are pretty fragile, but you return incredible DPS.

As for the set bonuses, well. They were completely over the top, damn beyond broken, and made mage way too strong. Specter Hood is already beyond worthwhile due to lifesteal - with boosting offense rather than hindering it, it was hilariously broken. And Nebula Armor’s set bonus was so insanely powerful that other classes would just use Nebula Armor instead of their own, so the boosters were changed to only spawn from magic damage.

At least magic mechanics mostly make sense. Summoners ... the mechanics don't really work with each other. Short whip + low armor = :confused:

Magic gear is more interesting too with their various set mechanics vs summon gear where it's predominantly just more minions and more damage - even the Stardust set is just one extra unique minion.

But ya, melee is really the only way to go at end game. Super high armor + zero resource usage range attacks (some will even go through walls) = highly optimal

And once you get the Zenith ... Highest defense in the game from armor set + the most powerful weapon in the game buffed by same said armor set = optimal

PS: It would be really nice if they made switching armor sets and accessories easier - like one click swap. Also it would be great if the game remembers which accessories/armor has been favorite and would reapply the favorite status when said accessories/armor are placed back into the bag.

Sci
At least magic mechanics mostly make sense. Summoners ... the mechanics don't really work with each other. Short whip + low armor = :confused:

Magic gear is more interesting too with their various set mechanics vs summon gear where it's predominantly just more minions and more damage - even the Stardust set is just one extra unique minion.

But ya, melee is really the only way to go at end game. Super high armor + zero resource usage range attacks (some will even go through walls) = highly optimal

And once you get the Zenith ... Highest defense in the game from armor set + the most powerful weapon in the game buffed by same said armor set = optimal

PS: It would be really nice if they made switching armor sets and accessories easier - like one click swap. Also it would be great if the game remembers which accessories/armor has been favorite and would reapply the favorite status when said accessories/armor are placed back into the bag.
Truthfully the best class in the end game is either ranged or mage,
Rangers have really good weapons (u telling me u never used phantasm w luminite arrows or eventide with clorophyte arrows) and the still have really high defense (2nd best)
Ranged class also arguably have the best equipment in the game, also with the MOST equipment in game
with magic in scond place, normally there defense is rather low but most attacks can do LOTS of dmg on impac (nebula blaze ex can do 3000+ dmg on hit and last prism fully charged does 1500+ dmg per hit with extra speed)

Melee and summon class is aboslutely HOT GARBAGE at the start of hardmode, and they don' get much better until post plantera
summons has the worst def, and very few good equips
Melee Zenith is very annoying to craft and most endgame melee weapons are inferior to those of the other classes

Last edited:
Melee Zenith is very annoying to craft
But once you have it ...

Also Solar Eruption is a good stand-in for the Zenith until you get it - it is a stupidly good weapons IMHO and is my standard sidearm when playing summoner. Less damage and shorter (but still very good) reach but same ability to go through blocks - like every other melee weapons no resource usage. Decently easy to get too.

Why must they always give mage the crap, melee is too overated, ranger is already versatile until the bullet storm, summoner pretty much got revamped, what does mage get, a couple of accesory mixtures?

I don’t really know where to put this.

Magic where it’s at now, is very bad. I’ve been vocal about this for multiple years. A lot of people have been vocal about this. They get their damaged reduced by half if they decide to go for Mana Flower, or they get rewarded for getting hit(Magic Cuffs) with the lowest armor in the entire game.

Seriously, WHY. DO. YOU. ALL. ACT. LIKE. THIS. IS. OKAY.

It’s not. Melee becomes a ranged class that doesn’t use mana OR ammo, high defense for no reason, “Ohh but early game!!” Yeah, try being a mage early game.
Then we got the rangers, infinite pouch, or buying cheap bullets, making bullets out of whatever. “But they require alot of money!!” Whatever. Then you got specialized bullets for basically anything a mage can do.

I’m beyond baffled as to why developers think that mage is fine. Instead of nerfing the prism they nerf the entire dang class. I don’t know why they just dont allow us to regen mana as soon as we stop casting, or regen while casting. But nope, they decided to end the game with a big hug to melee, a pat on the head to ranger, and a brutal kick to mages. Talk about unfair. Thank god for mods.
Mage is my favorite class, I even started a mage only series on master mode, I went 1 episode without a weapon(well technically either 1 and a half or 2 without a weapon) and the wand of sparking helps, Mage is literally way better at starting than summoner, and as @Kirby737 said, mages are literally a “glass cannon”, and by which all the classes get a big hug at the end game, yeah melee May have the zenith but there are so many good weapons for the other classes, even if they don’t compare to number of the zenith(on the weapon in inventory) mages get the last prism, somewhat near zenith teir, ranger gets that very awesome rocket launcher that is the celebration mk II, literally summoners get the best weapon(maybe weapons?) as in the terra prisma and the keliedascope I know I spelt that wrong lol. But anyways if I were to say what was the worst class, I would say summoner, although I melee is my least favorite class.

Mage is my favorite class, I even started a mage only series on master mode, I went 1 episode without a weapon(well technically either 1 and a half or 2 without a weapon) and the wand of sparking helps, Mage is literally way better at starting than summoner, and as @Kirby737 said, mages are literally a “glass cannon”, and by which all the classes get a big hug at the end game, yeah melee May have the zenith but there are so many good weapons for the other classes, even if they don’t compare to number of the zenith(on the weapon in inventory) mages get the last prism, somewhat near zenith teir, ranger gets that very awesome rocket launcher that is the celebration mk II, literally summoners get the best weapon(maybe weapons?) as in the terra prisma and the keliedascope I know I spelt that wrong lol. But anyways if I were to say what was the worst class, I would say summoner, although I melee is my least favorite class.
Every other class got a new top tier weapon, zenith, celebration mk2, and terraprisma, and what about mage, same old last prism, it also only got a couple of accesory combinations from the same accessories from before, all the other classes at least got something new thats at least worthwhile, mage is the most ignored class in my opinion

Every other class got a new top tier weapon, zenith, celebration mk2, and terraprisma, and what about mage, same old last prism, it also only got a couple of accesory combinations from the same accessories from before, all the other classes at least got something new thats at least worthwhile, mage is the most ignored class in my opinion
Like I said before, mage didn't get many changes because it was in a great place in 1.3.

The “new” aspect doesn’t matter, Last Prism is still the strongest Moon Lord drop and second best weapon next to Zenith. I don’t see how Mage not getting as many new items means anything to the class overall.

Not to mention the argument I’ve brought up time and time again that the class’s endgame utility means screw all for the class’s overall value.

Back
Top Bottom