Sprites The Archaeologist/Bestiary

It could be cheated, of course. but don't mind that that much. those who wanna cheat will find a way anyway. But those who wanna play without cheating, won't cheat.
Just should balance it better, when some of those books appear in her shop.

That is true, such as fishing for the Reaver Shark instead of mining every single Pre-Hardmode ore, I shake my head in disgust for people who do that right away...THAT is like cheating! -_-

That is true, such as fishing for the Reaver Shark instead of mining every single Pre-Hardmode ore, I shake my head in disgust for people who do that right away...THAT is like cheating! -_-

Haha, that isn't as much cheating, it can take half an eternity to fish up a reaver shark and you have to travel to the ocean for it and stuff. I still dislike reaver shark though because it just looks so silly mining with a fish... then again, there's the minishark too. ...but it's strong.

Haha, that isn't as much cheating, it can take half an eternity to fish up a reaver shark and you have to travel to the ocean for it and stuff. I still dislike reaver shark though because it just looks so silly mining with a fish... then again, there's the minishark too. ...but it's strong.
Idk if your luck's bad then, 30 mins fishing and boom. Done....what were we talking about again? Oh yeah game balance involving the thingy.

By the way, thinking more about the NPC, what sort of personality would she have? - as in... what would her quotes be?

She would be a bubbly appreciate-things-that-arent-really-appreciated type person, for example:

"Did you know the fangs of a Black Recluse can pierce through these very walls? It's so fascinating!"

"Slimes eat by dissolving biomatter in their gelatinous bodies!" (Supposed to be scary because the King Slime used to feature a Ninja inside but now only drops clothes with no Ninja...)

"Ever wonder why Zombies charge at you blindly with no concern for their safety? Well, let's just say they can feel pain...and being a zombie hurts!" (Insinuating that zombies only attack you so they can die and stop feeling pain... Ooh that's dark.)

"No one knows why, but powerful demons occasionally attain the strength to randomly appear near you!" (Referring to randomly spawning boss events i.e. "You feel you're being watched")

Yeah so basically I'm thinking extremely disturbing facts that no one wanted to know, but are delivered in a bubbly manner.

Last edited:
She would be a bubbly appreciate-things-that-arent-really-appreciated type person, for example:

"Did you know the fangs of a Black Recluse can pierce through these very walls? It's so fascinating!"

"Slimes eat by dissolving biomatter in their gelatinous bodies!" (Supposed to be scary because the King Slime used to feature a Ninja inside but now only drops clothes with no Ninja...)

"Ever wonder why Zombies charge at you blindly with no concern for their safety? Well, let's just say they can feel pain...and being a zombie hurts!" (Insinuating that zombies only attack you so they can die and stop feeling pain... Ooh that's dark.)

Yeah so basically I'm thinking extremely disturbing facts that no one wanted to know, but are delivered in a bubbly manner.

I think the general idea of that sounds cool! That type of kinda crazy, cloudcucoolander researcher XD

also, again wondering about the characters in my mod can be any good reference, since they're pretty crazy about the evil biomes too.

But I dunno that much about those quotes...
As for one, to be more practical, we should organise quotes in cathegories. pre-hardmode and hardmode (the former is always possible, the later just from hardmode onwards), also possibly quotes regarding other NPCs, and possibly event exclusive quotes, like blood moons, parties, etc.

Also, though it's part because I have overhaul mod, but there zombies just loiter around until spot you, so I dunno about the zombie quote. Plus I think they just want to eat you...

As for black recluse, I guess she could comment on the fangs, they're even an item, but I think she could comment on how poisonous they are or something.
"The venom of a black recluse could kill a human in less than ten munites... Pretty fascinating, isn't it? Oh, right, try to avoid them biting you."

speaking of spiders, wall creepers completely disappear in hardmode - got replaced by black recluses. (I read just earlier, same goes for giant worms - they get replaced by Diggers) she could comment on these too. however we interpret it. animals went extinct? evolved? or what?
I would think wall creepers go extinct in hardmode, black recluses taking their caves. however you can still have wall creepers in the game in hardmode, if you summon them with a wall creeper statue wired to some activating mechanism.
"Wall creepers are all cool ((you could even add stuff what the skeleton merchant tells about them which suggests he was killed by wall creepers)) but my researches show they're quite vulnerable, a more agressive spider species could overtake all their caves..."
or (in hardmode)
"Even though all preservation efforts, wall creepers went extinct in <world name>. Or are they? Wall creeper statues can still summon them. Maybe it could be used to save them... Hmm, I shall so more researches about this.

then... let's see... I guess mostly various quotes regarding animal-like monsters. I'll think some more about them too.

Interesting, I'll have to update the entirety of my original post to surmise what we all have talked:
  • Different ideas for how the Pocket Bestiary will function. I'm liking the volume idea with biome specific "quests"
  • Probably saying no to staves as it's too much.
  • Tinctures need to differentiate from Flasks?
  • NPC quotes.
  • I'm thinking about adding glasses to the NPC so I'ma try that.
  • Categorization of the mobs most likely based on biome.
Be ready for a lot of Spoilers xD
I'm going to start amassing all this stuff right now, stay tuned for a complete rehaul of the original post!

The bestiary entries are also quite interesting things. We didn't really talked about those yet. We should decide how those should look like too. The example entry is interesting, but maybe could be fine-tuned a bit.

as for staves, they either could be craftable, or the NPC could have more than one shops (dunno how can you code that, but NPCs in Alchamist NPCs mod has that, so I'm sure it's possible to code it. if necessary)

another thing for the shop, if it's just one shop, the amount of stuff for sale would be better not more than 39. NPCs shops have 40 slots, but if they have all slots taken by an item for sale (look at the innkeeper) you can't sell them anything, which can be annoying.
So the amount of tinctures, books and all better not exceed 39.

By the way, the glasses sounds interesting. Of course, it's stereotypical, but most NPCs looks sterotypically as you would expect a <insert occupation here>. Since this NPC is a scholar or researcher and writes lots of books, might as well wears glasses too. - maybe even the outfit could be different too. dunno. what do you think?

By the way, the glasses sounds interesting. Of course, it's stereotypical, but most NPCs looks sterotypically as you would expect a <insert occupation here>. Since this NPC is a scholar or researcher and writes lots of books, might as well wears glasses too. - maybe even the outfit could be different too. dunno. what do you think?
Well I said it before but my expertise is reskinning and modifying whats already given to me, seeing as the only two glasses in Terraria franky look terrible I can't do much with it! I also made her hair into a "bun" sorta dealio. I'm also going to give her a new weapon that I'm going to TRY and make from scratch! It's going to be called the Derringer and it's going to be a drop on death for her like most NPCs :D
steampunk.png

And keep in mind she is a researcher, but you find her in the jungle, her green is a sort of camouflage that she would use.

Well I said it before but my expertise is reskinning and modifying whats already given to me, seeing as the only two glasses in Terraria franky look terrible I can't do much with it! I also made her hair into a "bun" sorta dealio. I'm also going to give her a new weapon that I'm going to TRY and make from scratch! It's going to be called the Derringer and it's going to be a drop on death for her like most NPCs :D
View attachment 216254
And keep in mind she is a researcher, but you find her in the jungle, her green is a sort of camouflage that she would use.

Somehow those glasses could look better... yeah, I know, the glasses in the game aren't the best looking either...

Another random idea for the sprite! I thought about "what if somehow add some monster or critter or something to her sprite?" like, how about you place a bird or something on the top of her head? reminds me of "pigeon man" from Ghost Trick?

Zoologist.png

Number one: I made the glasses much more easy to spot, they are now red.
ZoologistNilGlass.png

And number two: No glasses.

I like the glasses but they sorta look like a mask...:rolleyes:

Derringer.png

I also made her a gun as a means to protect herself.
(Yay this is my first hand-made item! Even if its like 18 pixels across hehe. :sigh:)

Derringer
Damage: 27
Knockback: 5 (Average)
Critical Chance: 10%
Use Time: 28 (Average)
Velocity: 9
Tooltip: "Sic semper tyrannis!"
(Meaning: "thus always to tyrants",derived from what John Wilkes Booth said after he assassinated Abraham Lincoln with his Derringer)
Rarity:
$

Sell: 50
$

----------------------------
12.5% Chance to drop from Zoologist.
upload_2019-1-30_1-21-38.jpeg
Yes the gun is supposed to be that small.

Last edited:
Hmm... I actually kinda like the design with the red frame glasses, but it's indeed looks a bit like a mask... hmm... how to make them more glasses-like...?

The gun sounds interesting, but why something like that? also, not quite sure what's the Derringer is - yeah, I can see on the picture though - such a small firearm reminds me I read about a pistol named something like "pig's foot" - or something like that XD something might would be stylish for a zoologist? XD

I dunno though about getting the weapon via killing the zoologist though... XD I personally wouldn't want to kill my NPCs XD

Well, most NPCs drop weapons, so this is her thing.

Some do, yes, and in mods, some more of them drop too, but I just dunno about killing an NPC for a weapon or accessory or something. Well, whatever XD

We should brainstorm on more quotes too, and,
what would be the possible names for the NPC?

I think some fun names would be survival tv show host last names, like Grylls, Mears, or Probst. Another way to go could be biologists, like Darwin.

Also, an achivement could be:

First Nameless

Complete the bestiary

Hear ye hear ye!

I just dropped a totally revamped Original Post full of some ideas me and the community came up with!
Let me know what you think, what could be improved/added, or just say "Hi!" :D
Please come check it out! Took me quite the while to assemble! :passionate:

Back
Top Bottom