Sprites The Archaeologist/Bestiary

Hear ye hear ye!

I just dropped a totally revamped Original Post full of some ideas me and the community came up with!
Let me know what you think, what could be improved/added, or just say "Hi!" :D
Please come check it out! Took me quite the while to assemble! :passionate:

It looks nice, but there are some things I don't agree with.

one is - at this stage, relatively minor thing - many things are up for the players' interpretation in terraria. this is part because there isn't much official lore. (some mods add their own lore, lice Calamity, but that's not official info either, and player might not agree with everthing in it)
some of those quotes, especially the zombie one is really, based on your interpretation of zombies in terraria...
while the idea is yours, so you decide how these things should be in the end, I think quotes as well as fun facts and stuff would be better to be built on observating the game and such, and dunno... zombies wanting to die is just... really nothing supports that. and also nothing really supports whatever strong or hard or pointy spider fangs are - on the other hand we do know that they are venomous, since black recluses poison you for good, if they can bite you.

other minor things, I dunno if a character can have 4 buttons, I think I usually see them having 2 or 3? - you can however somehow change between some NPCs' shops, if they have more than one.
also don't know how the "fill up a bookscase with them would work, I mean, code-wise)

and as for the volumes... as for one, the order should follow the order in which a player could get them. so for example lunar events are the last. that would make more sense, IMO.
and if you have them like "you can combine any random book with any random book, it would make the mod have, I dunno? several hundred of books, because you could combine each book with nearly 20 other possible books, and combinations could be combined too, which means TONS of books to sprite, and even bigger problem... to code!
Which is why I suggested earlier what I suggested about them. That still would probably mean about 40-50 books too... which could still be cut to fewer maybe, but if you can combine any with any... that's chaos.

some of those quotes, especially the zombie one is really, based on your interpretation of zombies in terraria...
:(Fair enough, though im not entirely sure how I'm supposed to have a "factual" character without having facts... This NPC can be the one to implement some cool previously unknown facts into the World of Terraria something that no one else does making her so unique, and if your counterpoint to that is "interpretation adds to the grandeur of Terraria", then that just adds to her "facts no one wanted to know" shtick. I'll go ahead and change it and see if it works out.
This quote was also inspired by the way by the 1985 film Return of the Living Dead, one film depicting one of the first modernized uses of the word "zombie". The reason in this movie the zombies ate brains was because of the high levels of serotonin that were in them effectively acting as a pain-killing to the pain of being a "Schrodinger's Cat".
:sigh: A shame.
also nothing really supports whatever strong or hard or pointy spider fangs are - on the other hand we do know that they are venomous, since black recluses poison you for good, if they can bite you.
...same deal with this one, this should be much easier.

also don't know how the "fill up a bookscase with them would work, I mean, code-wise)
I mean...it should be pretty simple, just right click the book case and it will place the book down. If anything when you right click it it'll change to another Sprite of book case that is more and more partially filled.
and as for the volumes... as for one, the order should follow the order in which a player could get them. so for example lunar events are the last. that would make more sense, IMO.
Fair enough. I'll change that.
and if you have them like "you can combine any random book with any random book, it would make the mod have, I dunno? several hundred of books, because you could combine each book with nearly 20 other possible books, and combinations could be combined too, which means TONS of books to sprite, and even bigger problem... to code!
...the mod? I'm not making a mod I'm suggesting it to Terraria. Also no it's not "random+random" they are set books that will make sense together when combined. In my example there's Sand and Sea, a sensible match, I'll make that more clear on the OP. How would a large amount of items be hard to code? Not that I know much about it. As for sprites, it'll be the same book Sprite but resprited just like Terraria does with their similar looking things.

Last edited:
That's interesting. I didn't know about that film, so that's new to me. Then again, I don't really like zombie apocalypse or such stuff in films XD

One idea is, you could take a knows terraria fact that is supported by something a little more than zombies being reckless (they are undead and not very intelligent, so it make sense they would just attack like that, IMO),
e.g. my example(s) with black recluses, we do know about them that they're venomous, add some more to it, like they could kill whatever creature in X minutes or something...?

Another idea, that could work too, maybe, if have zoologist's quotes state these are her theories as opposed to be proven facts. Then, she can theoretize zombies attack you because of whatever reason, regardless if it's true or not.

Hmm... not quite sure how that would work, but I read about "Banner Bonanza" the other day, and that might follow a somewhat similar method. So maybe it can be coded. Would it been a different design chest, I don't think I seen chests that are bigger than 2x2 blocks size.

So... you're saying it's not a mod idea, just generally a suggestion? While I certainly lack the knowledge to code something this complex - dunno if you can code it? - IMO, I see tons of amazing ideas on the suggestions' board, but few of them gets implemented into the vanilla game. However if a mod creator gets interested in it, that could work too. But generally, I would think about a "Newtonian" approach on the problem would be the most fruitful. (I heard something like, when someone asked Isaac Newton, who made his equipments for him he uses in discovering things, he said something like "I made them myself. If I would had to wait for others to make them for me, I would never discovered anything.")

One idea is, you could take a knows terraria fact that is supported by something a little more than zombies being reckless (they are undead and not very intelligent, so it make sense they would just attack like that, IMO),
e.g. my example(s) with black recluses, we do know about them that they're venomous, add some more to it, like they could kill whatever creature in X minutes or something...?

Another idea, that could work too, maybe, if have zoologist's quotes state these are her theories as opposed to be proven facts. Then, she can theoretize zombies attack you because of whatever reason, regardless if it's true or not.
Yeah that works.

Hmm... not quite sure how that would work, but I read about "Banner Bonanza" the other day, and that might follow a somewhat similar method. So maybe it can be coded. Would it been a different design chest, I don't think I seen chests that are bigger than 2x2 blocks size.
Well, Dressers exist :p (yes they can be used as Chests)

So... you're saying it's not a mod idea, just generally a suggestion?
Yep, but if someone did want to make a mod out of it and literally contacted me, I'd be down for that too, I'd just be nice for it to be base game instead of a totally random not-so-grand mod. When I think of a Terraria Mod I think of something huge, tiny Mods seem almost disposable.

I see tons of amazing ideas on the suggestions' board, but few of them gets implemented into the vanilla game.
A boy can dream, to be honest I'm doing this for fun, I know the odds of my idea being implemented into Vanilla is extremely minimal, but if a good Mod Creator were to enjoy my idea, that's what this suggestion is for, to also inspire others and their ideas.

Dressers exist, and I know they can be used as chests too, but their shape is different from a bookscase too.

Small mods are cool, because you can organise better what little stuff you want and not want. huge mods can be amazing, but what if they contain some things you want and lots of things you don't want?

As far as creating the town NPC, I'm sure we can do that for a mini mod. I said I created a mini mod with 2 town NPCs, so I'm pretty sure I could do the basic coding for another too, but I have no idea on the coding of the rest of the things like the bestiary or the books or the tinctures...

I'm not a coder in the slightest, I'm only throwing my ideas out there in hopes that someone may find some use out of them :3

All right, got that.
Still, you know, it's like, you see tons of cool ideas at suggestions and you're like "I want this in my game! Now!" and no one made mods out of them neither they got implemented into the vanilla game... it's sad...

Regardless, we can keep brainstorming, it's fun too.

Alrighty, so the quotes re: Zombies and other enemies are from the NPC. I think that's fine - NPCs tend to embellish and make grandiose claims. In a bestiary entry though, it's probably best to be factual:
Zombies are weak undead enemies that rise at night. They're slow and have little in the way of defence. Zombies come in different varieties and some zombies will drop additional items such as arrows, if they are carrying them.
Found in: Forest at night
Drops: Shackle: 2%; Zombie Arm: 0.4%
Special drops: Wooden Arrow: 100%; Gel: 100%; Slime Staff: 0.01%

Mhm that's the plan, I'm just terrible at pixel art so I couldn't make an entire Bestiary entry look convincing and fit on the page :p
Perhaps for enemies such as zombies I might have little tabs on the side of the page showing different zombie types because in all honesty they do vary quite substantially.

Also should think about where to fit drops, etc. - zombies and slimes doesn't have lots of drops, but some monsters - especially bosses have tons of possible drops.
and yeah, agree with Sigma90

Also should think about where to fit drops, etc. - zombies and slimes doesn't have lots of drops, but some monsters - especially bosses have tons of possible drops.
and yeah, agree with Sigma90
God I really wish I could physically show you but I'm not skilled enough. I'll take to assembling another rough draft for a boss.

Looks like a interesting concept! And for some reason.. I don't actually feel the presence that it seems like a mod idea, I actually believe that it could fit in Terraria!
upload_2019-2-7_22-26-31.png

I'd like to work on it a little more tier-wise here before I start talking about making it a mod, I'm still thinking of ways to balance it in a realistic and cool way.

understandable. I'm good with balancing as i'm a mod dev of several different mods.. learning more about it every new one.

But if you ever want to contact me in making this a real things, here's my discord raιnn#6420

understandable. I'm good with balancing as i'm a mod dev of several different mods.. learning more about it every new one.

But if you ever want to contact me in making this a real things, here's my discord raιnn#6420
Sounds good! I thank you again for your interest, I'll get back to once I feel this idea has nowhere to go Vanilla-wise :3
[doublepost=1549597578,1549597496][/doublepost]
Looks like a interesting concept! And for some reason.. I don't actually feel the presence that it seems like a mod idea, I actually believe that it could fit in Terraria!
View attachment 216563
Hmm, mind if I actually put this in the original post? It's really funny and I think it deserves some viewage. (Of course I'd credit you :passionate:)

Sounds good! I thank you again for your interest, I'll get back to once I feel this idea has nowhere to go Vanilla-wise :3
[doublepost=1549597578,1549597496][/doublepost]Hmm, mind if I actually put this in the original post? It's really funny and I think it deserves some viewage. (Of course I'd credit you :passionate:)

Alrighty! I'm active allll the time, so feel free!

Back
Top Bottom