NPCs & Enemies The Banner Baron: a Torch God style invasion event!

Dapling

Duke Fishron
This suggestion is meant to both meant to reduce especially long winded grinding and add immense potential for adventure maps, with the minor bonus of being able to "build your own invasion" in a way.

This event can vary wildly in difficulty but has a suitable reward for it. To instigate it, simply place 5 different enemy dropped banners in close proximity to each other. Once they're placed, the event will begin. The Banner Baron will attack by inflicting the Withered Weapon debuff on the player and opening portals, which can spawn anywhere within 50 blocks of the player and will summon one of the enemies the banner corresponds to after a full second.

After defeating 20 of each of these enemies, the event will end and the enemy banners used to summon the event will become Mastered Banners. Mastered Banners have a star in their tooltip, glow as a valid light source for NPC housing, can summon their respective enemy with no limitations on their drops (besides not dropping coins) when wired, and cannot be used in any future Banner Baron events.

This game is missing the ability to spawn any enemy we want, at any time, and this allows us to do exactly that and in a fair and balanced way (if you can kill 50 of an enemy to get its banner, then clearly you can deal with that enemy already).

Two concerns I have with this is that first it may be too easy to accidentally summon. I almost always place all my banners right next to each other, so if I find five in an area i'm grinding i may summon this when I dont want to (probably not a big deal tbh), and second is that rare drops from common enemies (i.e. Burgers from Eaters of Souls, Rod of Discord) could become way too easy to obtain.

This suggestion is meant to both meant to reduce especially long winded grinding and add immense potential for adventure maps, with the minor bonus of being able to "build your own invasion" in a way.

This event can vary wildly in difficulty but has a suitable reward for it. To instigate it, simply place 5 different enemy dropped banners in close proximity to each other. Once they're placed, the event will begin. The Banner Baron will attack by inflicting the Withered Weapon debuff on the player and opening portals, which can spawn anywhere within 50 blocks of the player and will summon one of the enemies the banner corresponds to after a full second.

After defeating 20 of each of these enemies, the event will end and the enemy banners used to summon the event will become Mastered Banners. Mastered Banners have a star in their tooltip, glow as a valid light source for NPC housing, can summon their respective enemy with no limitations on their drops (besides not dropping coins) when wired, and cannot be used in any future Banner Baron events.
Cool idea, but I think that the way it's started could use some work. I like to build enemy farms for stuff like Biome Keys and Cell Phone ingredients, and putting Banners down allows me to kill enemies quicker. There are always more than 5 different kinds of enemies that spawn at any given farm I make, so I always have over five banners placed down nearby.

I think that instead you should need 3 banners per enemy type, so then you'll be able to get the banner effect for many different enemies without spawning in the event.

second is that rare drops from common enemies (i.e. Burgers from Eaters of Souls, Rod of Discord) could become way too easy to obtain.
I can probably remedy this by giving the wire summoning a cooldown (I'm leaning towards 5 or 10 seconds, because if I make the cooldown too long it'll just end up being less efficient than farming.)
I think that instead you should need 3 banners per enemy type, so then you'll be able to get the banner effect for many different enemies without spawning in the event.
3 feels like a little too much because of how long it takes to kill 150 of any enemy besides common stuff like slimes and zombies for anyone except afk farmers, but you did inspire me to do something else. Maybe if you place 2 identical banners adjacent to each other for all 5 enemies instead, and the Mastered Banners are those pairs fused together?

You know, this is slightly irrelevant but: one thing I’m surprised Journey Mode doesn’t have is the ability to spawn enemies at will - considering that it *does* have research, complete control over time, weather, difficulty and spawns, and even godmode. You should be able to force spawn enemies and bosses after enough kills in Journey Mode from the bestiary.

You know, this is slightly irrelevant but: one thing I’m surprised Journey Mode doesn’t have is the ability to spawn enemies at will - considering that it *does* have research, complete control over time, weather, difficulty and spawns, and even godmode. You should be able to force spawn enemies and bosses after enough kills in Journey Mode from the bestiary.
My friend actually asked one of the developers about why this wasn't a feature, and I think the response was along the lines of "We simply didn't add it," which is a little off-putting, to say the least.

My friend actually asked one of the developers about why this wasn't a feature, and I think the response was along the lines of "We simply didn't add it," which is a little off-putting, to say the least.
To be fair, they were rushing like hell to get Journey’s End out when they did, and it’s likely difficult to add a feature like that, so that’s probably what they mean. Still, “we simply didn’t add it” seems like a lame way to summarize that.

To be fair, they were rushing like hell to get Journey’s End out when they did, and it’s likely difficult to add a feature like that, so that’s probably what they mean. Still, “we simply didn’t add it” seems like a lame way to summarize that.
To me it comes off as a bit lazy, which actually very well may be the case considering how rushed 1.4 felt. (I think it was rushed with how many sweeping changes 1.4.1 made to the game).

As a person who's played Journey Mode on release & is still playing as of this message (multiplayer), I can assure you that such a feature isn't necessary. If you crank up the Enemy Spawn to max, rare enemies appear so often in frequency, that you'll end up obtaining whatever item you wanted from them, without even realizing you have it. It's honestly not needed & would've been work put toward something of little value to the player. 😒🤷‍♂️

Also, considering how negatively this community responds to "player freedom" in some cases, I could easily see players developing Enemy Burnout & it somehow being the Developers fault. I mean, you can pretty much duplicate Boss Summons, Boss Goodie Bags, Event Summons (including Blood Moon), Functional Statues & Hostile Biomes on the Overworld if you want. The fact that this all seems to get overlooked is kinda what I mean by community response. You can already do this, you just need to earn it first & each task will be slightly different.

This means God Mode or no... you still kinda have to play the game, which is a good design decision. Not sure why narrowing all of this stuff down into one, specific mechanic seems so desirable. It doesn't even feel creative.

To me it comes off as a bit lazy, which actually very well may be the case considering how rushed 1.4 felt. (I think it was rushed with how many sweeping changes 1.4.1 made to the game).r)
I don't like this narrative, I've been hearing it from a loud minority in a few places. Though you have the right to your own point-of-view, I'd just like to put this assumption into perspective. 😒💁‍♂️
I think it's better to just say, "nobody can possibly think of everything". However, in this case I'd argue they already did, but ppl didn't notice.

Last edited:

lol, this is cool and all. but did derp change his name?, were there always to derps, AM I LOSING IT

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom