Weapons & Equip The Battlemage's Tomes

LoM2

Retinazer
Ah, the Battlemage. Enhancing melee with magic.

Unless we're talking Maplestory, in which case it's just whacking stuff with a staff.

Anyways. To the actual suggestion!

Flamma Ferrum
XpEssh5.png

Crafted:
Spell_Tome.png
x1
Soul_of_Fright.png

Glacium Gladius
wLXb4Ns.png

Spell_Tome.png
x1
Frost_Core.png

Attono Acutus
AW0AFrE.png

Spell_Tome.png
x1
Soul_of_Sight.png
Fallen_Star.png

(Inspired by the same game as the Skeletal Staff and the Tome of Eternal Blight. Still nobody's guessed it yet.)
(And yes, I basically plugged in words into a latin translator until I found stuff that I could alliterate.)

Anyways: Mechanics:
None of these tomes have a direct attack. Instead, they focus on enhancing your melee abilities (Like I said, battlemage.)
Each tome costs 10 mana to use. Buffs expire after 1 minute.
XpEssh5.png
->
Nq6D1gS.png

wLXb4Ns.png
->
4MfMmWe.png

AW0AFrE.png
->
WsKn25h.png

(I got pretty lazy with this, made a firesword buff then just recolored it.)
If any of these three buffs are active:
Swords will receive a damage boost equal to half of their Magic damage modifier. (I.E someone with + 20% magic would get +10% to swords). ONLY swords (and related melee contact weapons. I.E no flails or boomerangs.)

Hammers will receive +2 knockback.

Only one buff can be active at a time. It defaults to the most recently activated (So if I have fire active, then I use Ice, it removes fire and adds ice.)

Nq6D1gS.png

+10% Swing Speed (Swords)
+10% Size
+75% percent of magic dmg (instead of 50% like the others)
15% chance to set stuff on fire

4MfMmWe.png

- 5% Swing Speed
+ 5% Damage
15% chance to inflict Slow
5% chance to inflict Frozen or Frostburn

WsKn25h.png

+15% Swing Speed
10% chance to inflict Confusion

For the record, yes, I am aware of weapon imbuement flasks... These tomes are meant to combine magic and melee ability rather than the use of potions. (Hence the damage buff dependent on magic power.)

Hope you like the suggestion :) All feedback is appreciated. (Unless you're just puking hate for no discernible reason. A little less appreciated in that case.)

Last edited:
Ah, the Battlemage. Enhancing melee with magic.

Unless we're talking Maplestory, in which case it's just whacking stuff with a staff.

Anyways. To the actual suggestion!

Flamma Ferrum
XpEssh5.png

Crafted:
Spell_Tome.png
x1
Soul_of_Fright.png

Glacium Gladius
wLXb4Ns.png

Spell_Tome.png
x1
Frost_Core.png

Attono Acutus
AW0AFrE.png

Spell_Tome.png
x1
Soul_of_Sight.png
Fallen_Star.png

(Inspired by the same game as the Skeletal Staff and the Tome of Eternal Blight. Still nobody's guessed it yet.)
(And yes, I basically plugged in words into a latin translator until I found stuff that I could alliterate.)

Anyways: Mechanics:
None of these tomes have a direct attack. Instead, they focus on enhancing your melee abilities (Like I said, battlemage.)
Each tome costs 10 mana to use. Buffs expire after 1 minute.
XpEssh5.png
->
Nq6D1gS.png

wLXb4Ns.png
->
4MfMmWe.png

AW0AFrE.png
->
WsKn25h.png

(I got pretty lazy with this, made a firesword buff then just recolored it.)
If any of these three buffs are active:
Swords will receive a damage boost equal to half of their Magic damage modifier. (I.E someone with + 20% magic would get +10% to swords). ONLY swords (and related melee contact weapons. I.E no flails or boomerangs.)

Hammers will receive +2 knockback.

Only one buff can be active at a time. It defaults to the most recently activated (So if I have fire active, then I use Ice, it removes fire and adds ice.)

Nq6D1gS.png

+10% Swing Speed (Swords)
15% chance to set stuff on fire

4MfMmWe.png

- 5% Swing Speed
+ 5% Damage
15% chance to inflict Slow
5% chance to inflict Frozen or Frostburn

WsKn25h.png

+15% Swing Speed
10% chance to inflict Confusion

For the record, yes, I am aware of weapon imbuement flasks... These tomes are meant to combine magic and melee ability rather than the use of potions. (Hence the damage buff dependent on magic power.)

Hope you like the suggestion :) All feedback is appreciated. (Unless you're just puking hate for no discernible reason. A little less appreciated in that case.)

10/10 would support this again! Also, @Everybody got first!

Though it could be differentiated a little from melee's existing Flasks, perhaps with special effects or projectiles, I'm happy to see suggestions that attempt to break down the class barrier.

(Side note: remember that Lv0-30 experience potion they distributed a while back? Guess who decided to use his on the class with one of the highest learning curves? Guess who almost failed his 2nd job advancement? I should have used it on my Mechanic...)

(Side note: remember that Lv0-30 experience potion they distributed a while back? Guess who decided to use his on the class with one of the highest learning curves? Guess who almost failed his 2nd job advancement? I should have used it on my Mechanic...)
My entire experience with maplestory consists of me installing it, choosing battlemage, realizing that it was a pretty boring class, then I got fed up with the control scheme and quit :p

I do say that this is rather interesting, and would probably work, mechanically. However, for an attempt at a unique item, it seems to lack an incentive to properly use it.

Let's pretend that you're a Warrior. If that's the case, then at this stage of the game, you're probably more interested a flask of Cursed Flames/Ichor. The ice tome might see some use, but its bonuses also end up canceling each other out. I wouldn't be surprised to see people using the thunder tome (THORON!) as a damage bonus during bosses and Moon Events. (Yes, I'm aware it's a speed boost, but those end up being an essentially straight damage bonus.) However, at that point, you've just tacked half of another Mechanical Glove on top of your warrior.

Now let's pretend you're a Mage. You probably have a spear or sword for the occasion that you run out of mana. I know that I kept an Adamantite Glaive on me for the longer part of my Mage playthrough. Enchanting your weapon is usually reserved for times when you intend to use it. However, you'll only ever intend to use it if you're out of mana, at which point the tome is essentially useless.

Now, I do like this suggestion. It's well thought-out and it works. The problem is the strict wall between class bonuses in Terraria. If you have a damage bonus for Melee, then you're missing out on a damage bonus for Magic. The Avenger and Destroyer Emblems both give a cross-class bonus, but that would make this essentially a 1.5 bonus of cross-class damage items to Melee. The thing about cross-class items is that it almost always has to introduce convenience or utility rather than power. I see that you tried to introduce utility with the debuffs, but On Fire! is a terrible debuff, and Confused doesn't affect half of the mobs in Hardmode. Like I said, the Frost tome might see some use, since slowing and freezing enemies isn't seen very much. I think that this would work better as accessories that inflicted powerful debuffs in exchange for consuming mana on hit. Things like Broken Armor or Weak. Perhaps a debuff that did percentage damage as opposed to flat damage.

Now, as for my guess, the Latin makes me think of Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia, and while I can think of a Glyph that loosely correlates to the Tome of Blight, nothing I can think of parallels to the Skeletal Staff.

I was kind of hoping for melee weapons MADE of magic, but this works too. I'd never use ice though.

I really want a spell that encases another player in a bubble that floats around and pops abruptly, this bubble would reduce all incoming damage by 60%. Maybe you'd know what to do with an idea like this?

On topic though, these are really cool not sure why buff magic isn't more prominent in Terraria. All we need is weapon summoning using magic items.

I do say that this is rather interesting, and would probably work, mechanically. However, for an attempt at a unique item, it seems to lack an incentive to properly use it.

Let's pretend that you're a Warrior. If that's the case, then at this stage of the game, you're probably more interested a flask of Cursed Flames/Ichor. The ice tome might see some use, but its bonuses also end up canceling each other out. I wouldn't be surprised to see people using the thunder tome (THORON!) as a damage bonus during bosses and Moon Events. (Yes, I'm aware it's a speed boost, but those end up being an essentially straight damage bonus.) However, at that point, you've just tacked half of another Mechanical Glove on top of your warrior.

Now let's pretend you're a Mage. You probably have a spear or sword for the occasion that you run out of mana. I know that I kept an Adamantite Glaive on me for the longer part of my Mage playthrough. Enchanting your weapon is usually reserved for times when you intend to use it. However, you'll only ever intend to use it if you're out of mana, at which point the tome is essentially useless.

Now, I do like this suggestion. It's well thought-out and it works. The problem is the strict wall between class bonuses in Terraria. If you have a damage bonus for Melee, then you're missing out on a damage bonus for Magic. The Avenger and Destroyer Emblems both give a cross-class bonus, but that would make this essentially a 1.5 bonus of cross-class damage items to Melee. The thing about cross-class items is that it almost always has to introduce convenience or utility rather than power. I see that you tried to introduce utility with the debuffs, but On Fire! is a terrible debuff, and Confused doesn't affect half of the mobs in Hardmode. Like I said, the Frost tome might see some use, since slowing and freezing enemies isn't seen very much. I think that this would work better as accessories that inflicted powerful debuffs in exchange for consuming mana on hit. Things like Broken Armor or Weak. Perhaps a debuff that did percentage damage as opposed to flat damage.

Now, as for my guess, the Latin makes me think of Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia, and while I can think of a Glyph that loosely correlates to the Tome of Blight, nothing I can think of parallels to the Skeletal Staff.
Personally I intended these for a person who doesn't want to full on commit to mage, although the class barrier is admittedly a problem with this.

I'll buff the fire one a bit, will see what I can do about adding some more debuffs to electric (I went to look at the wiki, then I got hugely sidetracked...). I'll take a look at what I can do with the more powerful debuffs.

And in terms of the guessing: Still no. Comes from a iOS RPG (style) game.

I really want a spell that encases another player in a bubble that floats around and pops abruptly, this bubble would reduce all incoming damage by 60%. Maybe you'd know what to do with an idea like this?

On topic though, these are really cool not sure why buff magic isn't more prominent in Terraria. All we need is weapon summoning using magic items.
Not entirely sure what you mean by magic bubble. Is this meant to be a spell that buffs someone other than yourself?

Not entirely sure what you mean by magic bubble. Is this meant to be a spell that buffs someone other than yourself?
Yeah, a support kind of thing, but those things never really work in suggestions do they?

Yeah, a support kind of thing, but those things never really work in suggestions do they?
Not really, I've said in other people's suggestions that I don't really like having a purely support weapon, because one has little incentive to make it unless they're constantly in multiplayer with a reliable party. And even in that situation, a support person is unnecessary, because 2-3 people can pretty much decimate anything in terraria. More self-buff stuff would be nice though, I'll see if I can work with that in mind.

Not really, I've said in other people's suggestions that I don't really like having a purely support weapon, because one has little incentive to make it unless they're constantly in multiplayer with a reliable party. And even in that situation, a support person is unnecessary, because 2-3 people can pretty much decimate anything in terraria. More self-buff stuff would be nice though, I'll see if I can work with that in mind.
Thanks! I really wish some parts of Terraria would require more cooperation with friends. Like the post-Plantera dungeon and the Lihzahrd temple. But I don't know I think that's just my love for FFXIV coming into my Terraria love.

I do like using all different types of weapons at once from different classes, I support. I wish there were more armors like the frost armor.

Wow, those are really, really cool. However, Fire just seems like a worse Lightning (On Fire! is pointless compared to Frostburn too), personally I think Fire should be more damage oriented, Lightning is speed oriented, and Ice is a mix of both with the debuffs as its specialty.

Oh my god I think I have the game! It is BattleHeartLegacy! Support though, cause I've always been a battle Mage, and the ideas are nice and original. Without throwing the names into Google translate, I know that the ice one means frozen sword, the fire one means flaming steel, and the Lightning one means... Dunno.

may I use this idea in my own post? this would be perfect, because the tomes on that post are unique, but thiese are even more unique, and would go perfectly with a set of armor that ive gotten permission to use

may I use this idea in my own post? this would be perfect, because the tomes on that post are unique, but thiese are even more unique, and would go perfectly with a set of armor that ive gotten permission to use
Go ahead- just make sure to link back to this thread and give credit where it's due.

Go ahead- just make sure to link back to this thread and give credit where it's due.
thank you for allowing me to use your ideas in my post. I found another post with a set of armor that gave you melee speed and +40 max mana. I immediately though back to this thread. anyways, both ideas have been added, and credit has been given. the link is in my signature if you'd like to check it out

Back
Top Bottom