The crates in pre hardmode

Asteroidal_Assassin

Skeletron Prime
Here is some background I don't like it when the hallow or corruption spreads to my base and breaking demon alters for ores turns random blocks in your world in the hallow or corruption. So i've decided to fish up a bunch of crates before hardmode and open them when it is hardmode and use the ores from them to make some tools and weapons. What would be the ideal amount of crates to fish up for one crossbow for my ranger character and a full suit of armor? So far I have 20 iron crates and 40 wooden crates.

Last edited:
Here is some background I don't like it when the hallow or corruption spreads to my base and breaking demon alters for ores turns random blocks in your world in the hallow or corruption. So i've decided to fish up a bunch of crates before hardmode and open them when it is hardmode and use the ores from them to make some tools and weapons. What would be the ideal amount of crates to fish up for one crossbow for my ranger character and a full suit of armor? So far I have 20 iron crates and 40 wooden crates.
You are going to want a lot of crates. Because it is random, you need a ton. With my Ranger, I fished up over 150 Wooden Crates and at least 75 Iron Crates, (with about 15 Golden Crates on the side) which seemed to be enough. You should probably make Orichalcum/Mithril armor and save any Titanium or Adamantite you get for when you collect Frost Cores, so you can make Frost Armor.

Also, Fishing, Sonar, and Crate Potions are your friend here.

You are going to want a lot of crates. Because it is random, you need a ton. With my Ranger, I fished up over 150 Wooden Crates and at least 75 Iron Crates, (with about 15 Golden Crates on the side) which seemed to be enough. You should probably make Orichalcum/Mithril armor and save any Titanium or Adamantite you get for when you collect Frost Cores, so you can make Frost Armor.

Also, Fishing, Sonar, and Crate Potions are your friend here.
Thanks! This will take alot of sitting on the docks tho.

Alternatively, you may want to make a throwaway world to collect hardmode ores on. Create the world, smash altars and mine all you need. Then bring the goodies over to your good world and you can delete the throwaway world.

If you stick with crates, try to grab some Corrupt/Crimson crates too -- in Hardmode they'll drop Souls of Night and ichor/cursed flames. The other biome crates don't seem to add anything more than the Hardmode bars, but the non-biome ones (Wood/Iron/Gold) also add a slim chance of an Enchanted Sundial.

It definitely does. I did a lot of quests for the Angler. You can also do it early Hardmode if you want to try to get the Hotline Fishing Rod and other Hardmode stuff from him.

You can even stock up on all the pre-hardmode Quest fish -- every day you do a quest, just stash a few copies of the fish in a chest, and collect them someplace central. The catch is quest fish don't stack, so even if you limit yourself to, say, 4 copies of each pre-Hardmode type, that will eventually fill 3 chests. This doesn't completely get you out of fishing in Hardmode. (You'll want at least some of the Hallow catches, and there are new quest fish too.) But every stashed quest fish is a chance in Hardmode to say BTDT, collect your quest reward, and go do something else for the day.

Back
Top Bottom