Sprites The Crystalline Elemental and a few Accessories | Random ideas

Bry

Steampunker

Eh, I've got nothing big for now, so here's a suggestion that consists of one enemy and a few items.
The Crystalline Elemental
LY8DRpa.png

Alright, this dude is obviously just a Granite Elemental reskin, so I tried to make it look nice, at the very least.
It doesn't spawn naturally. It instead spawns when you attempt to mine a crystal that looks like
VEqJycj.png
which spawn uncommonly in the Underground Hallow after Plantera has been defeated.

The Crystalline Elemental is unique in that it has its own natural health regeneration of 5 HP/s. It also has two defensive abilities, one of them being the infliction of Potion Sickness on contact.
It's main attack is launching the blue crystals it has at you one at a time, which can inflict Mana Sickness. Upon hitting a block, they shatter into several fragments (which can still hurt you), and if the crystals hit you, the Crystalline Elemental immediately follows up with another crystal. Whenever it's hit, it has a 10% chance of using its second defensive ability: the defensive drop the Granite Elemental does. The chance of the ability activating increases by 5% every hit (resets when drop activates), so fast weapons like the Megashark or Crystal Storm aren't going to be very helpful.
...Ok, I should explain the defensive drop a bit more.
For starters, it... doesn't actually drop; it instead stays in the air. It
reflects all projectiles that hit it as well as damage dealt to it, the former boosting projectile damage and velocity by 50% and latter functioning like Thorns. After 5 seconds, the Crystalline Elemental will exit its defensive state, after which it will either heal back the damage it was dealt on the hit that triggered the defensive maneuver, or it will teleport and fire all three of its blue crystals at you.
In Expert, any damage dealt by the Crystalline Elemental may cause you to Bleed. Those crystals are sharp, yo.
Type: Enemy
AI: Granite Elemental AI

Damage: 60/90 Contact, 72/108 Crystals
Max Life: 2,580

Defense: 28/42 (Further nullifying the fast and weak weapons)
KB Resistance: 85%/95%
Inflicts:
2Pv0Qol.png
Mana Sickness (3-5/
6-10 seconds, when hit by the blue crystals)
OkxhkEE.png
Potion Sickness (3/
6 seconds, on contact with the Crystalline Elemental)
laTZ822.png
Bleeding (25 seconds, 85% chance when hit by the blue crystals)

Banner:
5i2XKdD.png

Coins: 55
ePtqpPq.gif

Drops:

Crystal Shards, 1-3
wuoP0OA.png

Rare Drops:
Pulse Crystal
9mlCFab.png
2.5%

Damage taken will be restored 5 seconds later if it is equal to at least 10% of your Max HP. Any hits taken during this 5-second period are ignored by this effect; only after the grace period can damage be queued for restoration.
Also prevents regeneration from being stopped or reset. If you get hit, your regeneration will continue as normal, and will unaffected by debuffs like On Fire! and Bleeding. Regeneration-slowing effects still work, however.
Type: Accessory - Crafting Material
Tooltip: Restores damage taken after 5 seconds
Increases life regeneration and prevents it from stopping or resetting

Rarity:
Pink
Sell: 2
Ether Crystal
rbujoL0.png
2.5%

Taking at least 20% of your health in damage will result in you being crystallized for 5 seconds.
I don't know how you'll feel about hearing this, but Crystallization effectively halves your movement speed, both horizontally and vertically. However, any damage you take, as well as projectiles that hit you, will be reflected back to the attacker, dealing damage equal to the percentage of HP you lost (with a cap of 2000 damage). You only take 30% damage in this state, though damage is reflected as if you took full damage. Reflected projectiles gain the ability to deal critical hits, as well as a +50% damage (cap) and velocity boost.
The problem with this effect is, Crystallized is a debuff, meaning you've gotta be fully committed to the slowness. Removing the Ether Crystal will do nothing to the debuff.
As an added bonus, magic attacks also restore 10% of the mana they consumed upon hitting a target.
Defense: 3
Tooltip: Become c
rystallized upon losing at least 20% health in one hit

Restores 10% of mana consumed by a magic attack if it hits
Inflicts:
gFL0Mqe.png
Crystallized (5 seconds)
Debuff Tooltip: Weighed down by the crystals, but will reflect incoming damage and projectiles

Rarity: Light Red
Sell: 2
One crystal, two crystal, pink crystal, blue crystal.

trJhpas.png

Now that we've gotten the enemy out of the way, let's mo
ve onto the stuff that's fun to have around! First one iiiis...
The Pulse Necklace!
4PgoDFr.png

Crafted with the Sweetheart Necklace and a Pulse Crystal.
This thing activates the same the Panic and Sweetheart Necklaces do, and it comes with an extra effect.
When hit, you'll gain +50% increased movement speed and health regeneration for 5 seconds, and spawn a pink bee that returns the damage it deals to you as health. The buff accompanying this accessory, previously dubbed Panic!, is now called Pulse. Its timer cannot be refreshed; it must expire before extra Pulse time can be obtained. Any hits taken during Pulse will not be restored, much like with the Crystal's effect. However, unlike the Pulse Crystal, Pulse can be triggered with any amount of damage, meaning that the actual pulse effect may not be triggered.
The Pulse Necklace also prevents regeneration from being stopped or reset.
Tooltip: Increases movement speed, life regeneration, and spawns a pink bee when damaged
Restores damage taken after 5 seconds and prevents life regeneration from being stopped or reset
Grants:
TwVXdeQ.png
Pulse (5 seconds)
Buff Tooltip: Movement speed and life regeneration greatly increased
Rarity:
Light Purple
Sell: 6

The Ethereal Cuffs!
NTvYDoW.png

Tinkered with the Magic Cuffs and an Ether Crystal.
These cuffs now grant 40 extra Mana, but instead of restoring Mana upon being hit, magic attacks restore 10% of the mana they consumed upon hitting a target.
Taking at least 20% of your health in damage also encases you in crystal for 5 seconds. The crystallization now fully restores your mana upon activation, but is otherwise exactly the same as the Ether Crystal's effect; go back there if you want an explanation on that.

Defense: 4
Tooltip: Increases maximum mana by 40 and restores 10% of mana consumed by a magic attack if it hits

Become crystallized upon losing at least 20% health in one hit, which fully restores your mana
Inflicts:
gFL0Mqe.png
Crystallized (5 seconds)
Debuff Tooltip: Immobilized, but will reflect incoming damage and projectiles
Rarity:
Pink
Sell: 4

And the item I struggled with because the sprite and name kept looking not-so-great...
The Vitality Bracelets! (The name also kept looking not-so-great, by the way)
tUOtNox.png

I mean. They kinda look like bracelets, if I squint hard enough. And pretend.
Tinkered with the Pulse Necklace and the Ethereal Cuffs, because combining two accessories like these is always nice and balanced.

When hit, you'll gain +50% increased movement speed, health and mana regeneration for 5 seconds, and two bees. The bees are blue and pink, and restore mana and health with their damage, respectively. If the hit was powerful enough to chip off at least 20% of your health, you'll also Crystallize.
I'm not going over that again.

Health regeneration cannot be stopped or reset. Hitting enemies with a magic weapon restores 10% of the mana consumed by its attack if said attack lands a hit.
Last but not least, these cuffs grants extra Mana, Defense, and Health.
[ Might scrap this; too stronk ]

Type: Accessory
Defense: 4
Tooltip: Increases movement speed, life regeneration, and spawns both a pink and blue bee when damaged; losing 20% health in one hit crystallizes the wearer momentarily
Restores damage taken after 5 seconds, prevents life regeneration from being stopped or reset, and restores 10% of mana consumed by a magic attack if it hits

Increases maximum mana and health by 20
Grants:
TwVXdeQ.png
Pulse (5 seconds, when hit)
Buff Tooltip: Movement speed and life regeneration greatly increased

Inflicts:
gFL0Mqe.png
Crystallized (5 seconds)
Debuff Tooltip: Immobilized, but will reflect incoming damage and projectiles

Rarity: Yellow
Sell: 10
trJhpas.png

Well that took longer than I expected.
I tried to make this easier to read by having colors alternate, but I don't know if it's actually helping or not. Sorry, if it's an eyesore.

I might just start doing tiny suggestions like these while I fix up my larger threads. Who knows?

Last edited:
This is pretty interesting, but I have to disagree with the accessories' RNG-based effects. Without security as to when/where they activate, they become a lot less attractive. And, unfortunately, the crystallization effect is such a big change that it's really, really difficult to balance. Not that I wouldn't approve if you could work it out.

Also, Frozen Turtle Shell tinker might be cool.

I'm gonna bump this because I read it and I think it deserves it. Pulse Necklace is absolute genius. Never imagined that an upgrade to the Sweetheart Necklace could be so logical and so useful.

I gotta say, though: I kinda dislike the Ether Crystal. Last thing I want if I've just been smacked for 100+ damage is to immobilize myself, even if I get 70% damage reduction from it. It should at most disable my ability to fly, and even then, that alone would probably deter me from using it. Unless it works while mounted.

Reactions: Bry
I'm gonna bump this because I read it and I think it deserves it. Pulse Necklace is absolute genius. Never imagined that an upgrade to the Sweetheart Necklace could be so logical and so useful.

I gotta say, though: I kinda dislike the Ether Crystal. Last thing I want if I've just been smacked for 100+ damage is to immobilize myself, even if I get 70% damage reduction from it. It should at most disable my ability to fly, and even then, that alone would probably deter me from using it. Unless it works while mounted.
Oh yeah, I thought that might not go over well. The point was to turn you into a reflective pincushion, but, upon further inspection, the Thorns-like effect is also kinda weak.
I've edited the Crystal, converting the immobilization into 50% slowdown both horizontally and vertically. Not sure if that's any better, but, again, the point is for you to take hits.

Last edited:
Ah, don't worry about that; as long as yours is more original than my basically-reskinned Granite Elemental, you'll probably be fine.

Back
Top Bottom