PS4 "The data is corrupted."

GoldFarmer

Terrarian
While playing a three-way split screen session with my daughters, where we were each organizing our respective inventories into chests, our game crashed. After restarting the game I am able to enter our world (associated with my account) using my player just fine, however one of my daughters is now always presented with an error stating "The data is corrupted." after pressing her PS button and selecting her profile, but before being shown her character selection screen. My other daughter does not encounter this with her character or profile.

The "The data is corrupted." screen is entitled with the word "Save", shows a plus sign subtitled with "New Saved Data" and can press X for Enter or O for Back.

When this is encountered on login, pressing X leads to a prompt to accept the EULA, and after accepting it she is shown her character selection screen, however the error screen pops up again while loading her character into the list. The error screen is shown one or two more times while it eventually shows her character and then the error stops happening, allowing her to choose between her character or to create a new one. After selecting her character she loads into my world but is immediately shown the same error screen again. Pressing X will lead to it appearing again several times before it stops appearing and she is able to play.

When she later accesses her control menu this error routine begins again. Also of note is that her controls no longer save (she prefers classic controls).

This routine now happens every time she joins our world, and also happens if she independently starts her own world without me.

I've also noticed that at the bottom of her screen she is granted many achievements each time she enters a world.

Please help!

Last edited:
While playing a three-way split screen session with my daughters, where we were each organizing our respective inventories into chests, our game crashed. After restarting the game I am able to enter our world (associated with my account) using my player just fine, however one of my daughters is now always presented with an error stating "The data is corrupted." after pressing her PS button and selecting her profile, but before being shown her character selection screen. My other daughter does not encounter this with her character or profile.

The "The data is corrupted." screen is entitled with the word "Save", shows a plus sign subtitled with "New Saved Data" and can press X for Enter or O for Back.

When this is encountered on login, pressing X leads to a prompt to accept the EULA, and after accepting it she is shown her character selection screen, however the error screen pops up again while loading her character into the list. The error screen is shown one or two more times while it eventually shows her character and then the error stops happening, allowing her to choose between her character or to chaste a new one. After selecting her character she loads into my world but is immediately shown the same error screen again. Pressing X will lead to it appearing again several times before it stops appearing and she is able to play.

When she later accesses her control menu this error routine begins again. Also of note is that her controls no longer save (she prefers classic controls).

This routine now happens every time she joins our world, and also happens if she independently starts her own world without me.

I've also noticed that at the bottom of her screen she is granted many achievements each time she enters a world.

Please help!
That sounds frustrating to have to do @GoldFarmer, every time your daughter wants to play. I'm sorry to say that I don't know of a solution or work around for this, but I do encourage you to send your details straight to the developers so they can investigate it. If others are having this same situation hopefully they can work on a bug fix based on your details. Send your report here: https://fs30.formsite.com/505games/form15/index.html

Also, you can send your character and world data so that they can see first hand. Instructions for that are here: SEND US A COPY OF YOUR SAVE DATA

Thank you for relating @Unit One, and for the instructions for how to submit a bug report and to attach savedata. I've submitted a bug report entitled "The data is corrupted.", and have also emailed and linked my daughter's savedata: https://ufile.io/839sp.

Please note that at the time of capturing her savedata, five files were shown to me, including her .plr file, a .wld file, a .map file, a SYSTEM file as well as a file entitled "Corrupted Data". All except the last file could be selected to copy.

Would it be safe to attempt deletion of the last file entitled "Corrupted Data" and to try playing with her character again (to attempt to avoid the "The data is corrupted." error screens), or is the data represented by this file something that is important to keep / may be recovered in the future?

Last edited:
Thank you for relating @Unit One, and for the instructions for how to submit a bug report and to attach savedata. I've submitted a bug report entitled "The data is corrupted.", and have also emailed and linked my daughter's savedata: https://ufile.io/839sp.

Please note that at the time of capturing her savedata, five files were shown to me, including her .plr file, a .wld file, a .map file, a SYSTEM file as well as a file entitled "Corrupted Data". All except the last file could be selected to copy.

Would it be safe to attempt deletion of the last file entitled "Corrupted Data" and to try playing with her character again (to attempt to avoid the "The data is corrupted." error screens), or is the data represented by this file something that is important to keep / may be recovered in the future?
I’m not sure about that answer @GoldFarmer. I can’t give you any guarantees one way or the other. If it were me on my own console, I’d give it a try, but I can’t promise it won’t make it worse.

I’m not sure about that answer @GoldFarmer. I can’t give you any guarantees one way or the other. If it were me on my own console, I’d give it a try, but I can’t promise it won’t make it worse.

For what it's worth, we found that the errors stopped appearing after deleting the "Corrupted Data" file of her savedata. Prior to this we took the precaution of putting her inventory, armor, weapons etc. into a chest in our world (suffering through the error messages along the way), preparing to create a new character in a worst case scenario that deleting this file also had an adverse affect on her character. We were able to successfully save her customized controls after as well. You may wish to update a FAQ with this workaround.

For what it's worth, we found that the errors stopped appearing after deleting the "Corrupted Data" file of her savedata. Prior to this we took the precaution of putting her inventory, armor, weapons etc. into a chest in our world (suffering through the error messages along the way), preparing to create a new character in a worst case scenario that deleting this file also had an adverse affect on her character. We were able to successfully save her customized controls after as well. You may wish to update a FAQ with this workaround.
That's good news to hear that the error went away after deleting the "corrupted data" file. Sorry that you had to go through that in the first place.

I have this same issue and do not own a USB stick. Is there anything I can do?
[doublepost=1517117846,1517117519][/doublepost]Every time I open Terraria I am greeted with this "Friendly message that in no way make me want to punch something"

Save
+ New Saved Data

The data is corrupted

OK

I have this same issue and do not own a USB stick. Is there anything I can do?
[doublepost=1517117846,1517117519][/doublepost]Every time I open Terraria I am greeted with this "Friendly message that in no way make me want to punch something"

Save
+ New Saved Data

The data is corrupted

OK

Yes, as a precaution you can still move all of your character's items into a chest of your world (acknowledging the pop-up anytime it appears), exit the game, go into your PlayStation settings, delete save data but only choose the file called "Corrupted Data" to delete. If all goes well you'll still have your character and world, and can pull your inventory back out of the chest.

Yes, as a precaution you can still move all of your character's items into a chest of your world (acknowledging the pop-up anytime it appears), exit the game, go into your PlayStation settings, delete save data but only choose the file called "Corrupted Data" to delete. If all goes well you'll still have your character and world, and can pull your inventory back out of the chest.
I'll try it later. Thanks a lot!

This happened to us as well. Deleted corrupt file and the entire world is gone. Knock on wood, this has never happened on our Xbox 360.

The same happened for me and i just waited . . . it seemed like it was trying to restore my achievements. It happened again and i just turned autosave off and proceeded to load the chests and delete my save data.

Back
Top Bottom