1. For issues you find with the Switch and Console releases, please follow this link and give as much detail as possible. This is the speediest way to get info to Pipeworks and get a hotfix in the works.
    Dismiss Notice

WIP The Drawing Station (making wire craftable)

Discussion in 'Blocks & Decorations' started by Nike Leon, Oct 25, 2014.

?

What do you think?

1. Love it! Definitely useful, as well as cool!

2. Seems cool, could be useful.

3. Eh... not really sure.

4. Not terrible, but needs some work.

5. This isn't really all that useful or interesting.

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Nike Leon

Nike Leon Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Note: This is supposed to be an additional means if acquiring wire. I'm not suggesting the mechanic no longer sells wire.

It seems to me that there is little reason to fork up cash for wire when wire is generally made of copper and lets face it, copper is practically useless from the get go, especially if you're an experienced player. This suggestion though, is for a crafting station called (you guessed it) "The Drawing Station". I got the name because copper wire is made by forcing it through a 'draw' (basically a really sturdy funnel) to stretch it out and make it thin and long.

The Draw Sation:
    <sprite pending, any takers?>
    Sold by: Cyborg/Steampunker (I'm leaning towards Cyborg since steam tech shouldn't really use wires? >.> )
    Cost: 10 gold (That seems to be what all the crafting stations go for from the Steampunkers inventory.)
    Tooltip: "Used to craft wire."
    Recipe: 1 Bar of Copper/Tin (real copper wires are sometimes coated in Tin anyway so hush Xp ) makes 5 wires.

@Geneen 's alt:
    Placing multiple stations immediately next to each other in a row gives you 1 wire for each copper bar for each station up to 5 stations.

Placing immediately next to a heavy work bench allows additional crafting.
    @MegaMage314 (recipes pending):
    Pressure plates
    Switches
    Levers
    Actuators?
    Wired furniture is conductive (@Nubs), it acts as if wire of its color is placed over its entire area and shows as much when holding wire revealing objects. It comes in the three different colors of wire. <Recipes pending, probably made of iron/lead and wire.>
    Wired Work Bench
    Wired Chair
    Wired Table
    Wired Platform
    Wired Door (only counts for area of door when closed)
    Wired Bed
    Wired Bookcase
    Wired Dresser
    Wired Bench
    Wired Sofa
    Wired Piano
    Wired Banquet Table

Real wire drawing machines look like this:
    [​IMG]

So I think it should be animated with the cylindrical part spinning and maybe a feed of wire going up to the spool at the top? Should be 3x3 blocks big IMO. Not sure I'm a fan of this particular color scheme though, it's something I'll work on with you if you want to do a sprite.

I know money isn't really a big deal for most people in hardmode but I feel like this would be a lot more convenient as well as finding a non-aesthetic use for all that copper and tin you've gathered. Not to mention it is a lot more cost efficient since copper bars sell for only 1 silver 50 copper each and wire is 5 silver each. And hey, who doesn't want another techy looking furniture piece for their mad science lab? :p

Please let me know your thoughts and opinions :) but be respectful and adhere to the forum rules ;)

Last edited: Nov 24, 2014
  2. MatthewSQUIID03

MatthewSQUIID03 Terrarian

What about it being sold by mechanic?

3. MegaMage314

MegaMage314 Plantera

I don't think the mechanic should sell it right away... maybe in hardmode she sells it?

4. Nike Leon

Basically I figure it wouldn't make sense for her to sell something that allows you to craft something instead of buying it from her. Plus the other two only spawn in hardmode.

Master Geass likes this.
  5. rhebok

rhebok Golem

Great idea, I'll take you up on the sprite, I watched a few videos and the machine looks extremely long so I was thinking about how to make it fit in Terraria as a crafting station and came up with an idea:
    • One station = one part of the machine.
    • The more parts you put next to each other in a row, the more wire you should get from the copper since the end result wire will be really thin.
    • And there should be a max of machines, like 5 maybe?
    So if you have one crafting station alone you should get one wire from one copper bar(for it's very thick), if you have 2 crafting stations you get 2 wires from one copper bar etc.

If you don't like the idea, I'm fine with spriting the 1 crafting station.

Nike Leon likes this.
  6. darthmorf

darthmorf Party Girl

I'm in, if only for this:

Great idea. Copper is useless.

Nike Leon likes this.
  7. stormconure

stormconure Golem

Never seen a moderator post a suggestion before :p

Anyway, this is great. Anything that adds logic to the game gets my support.

8. MiltVala

MiltVala Plantera

Leinfors is a mod, and he has quite a few suggestions <.<

Cough Cough* Slime Banners
    Cough Cough* Lihzahrd Invasion

And that's just naming a few....

9. stormconure

stormconure Golem

Wait those were his? ...i guess i wasnt paying attention

10. MiltVala

MiltVala Plantera

:sigh:

you have some catching up to do....

11. stormconure

stormconure Golem

No seriously i remember those threads... I just rarely pay attention to who posts it so I'm not biased

12. Nike Leon

Hmm that's an interesting mechanic :p I'll have to think on it though >.>
    That's why I made sure to point that out ;)
    If it makes you feel any better I'm pretty sure most of his suggestions were created on TO before he was a moderator :p

darthmorf likes this.
  13. CraftedNightmare Here!

CraftedNightmare Here! Official Terrarian

I'd like to see this in the game! Full on support!

14. Dakota Spine

Dakota Spine Headless Horseman

It is an interesting concept, but once in Hardmode, not many people bother to harvest copper. I don't know about everybody, but I usually don't. I like the idea, but I think both methods should be available. I apologize if that is in the OP and I missed it.

15. Nike Leon

Oh, well it's not specified in the OP but this suggestion doesn't mean the mechanic stops selling wire. This is just about making it possible to craft wire :)

16. Dakota Spine

Dakota Spine Headless Horseman

Then I'm 100% fine with this suggestion! Thanks for clarifying. Considering that you should still have some Copper left over, this would work fine!

17. Mihn

Mihn Golem

Nice suggestion, this will make Copper/Tin less useless, but a crafting station only for wire is kinda lame. Maybe more things?

Last edited: Nov 9, 2014
  18. Nike Leon

Somebody didn't read closely :p

19. MiltVala

MiltVala Plantera

What's wrong with a crafting station with only one purpose? I mean check out the auto hammer and meat grinder. They only have one use.

Nike Leon likes this.
  20. Necrius

Necrius Skeletron Prime

I don't see why we should waste more space by placing more one-use crafting stations around. There're already more stations than we actually need IMO.