Blocks & Decoration The Drawing Station (making wire craftable)

What do you think?

• Love it! Definitely useful, as well as cool!

• Seems cool, could be useful.

• Eh... not really sure.

• Not terrible, but needs some work.

• This isn't really all that useful or interesting.

Results are only viewable after voting.
I don't see why we should waste more space by placing more one-use crafting stations around. There're already more stations than we actually need IMO.
What makes it a waste of space? It's by no means required, merely optional. Do you have any suggestions for other uses it could have??

I don't see why we should waste more space by placing more one-use crafting stations around. There're already more stations than we actually need IMO.
World sizes from the wiki:
  • Small - 4200 blocks wide and 1200 blocks high
  • Medium - 6400 blocks wide and 1800 blocks high
  • Large - 8400 blocks wide and 2400 blocks high
This crafting station station will take 3x3(or 2x3) at worst, or if someone's idea of stacking it catches on, it'll be at 10x3(quite wide actually) at the most.

You're telling me, you can't spare that much space in your world? Do look closer at the world size. It's not even gonna take 0.001% of a small world.

Liking the idea, though I could actually forgo the machine linking.

o ooo oooooo
I gots a good idea
How about u can make furniture with it out of iron and wire and it's metal furniture that conducts electricity
So if you place a table the 2x3 blocks it takes up acts as wire placed in that 2x3 box
It might be confusing

;P

World sizes from the wiki:
  • Small - 4200 blocks wide and 1200 blocks high
  • Medium - 6400 blocks wide and 1800 blocks high
  • Large - 8400 blocks wide and 2400 blocks high
This crafting station station will take 3x3(or 2x3) at worst, or if someone's idea of stacking it catches on, it'll be at 10x3(quite wide actually) at the most.

You're telling me, you can't spare that much space in your world? Do look closer at the world size. It's not even gonna take 0.001% of a small world.

Liking the idea, though I could actually forgo the machine linking.

Whatever. I don't build on whole world and really don't wanna looking for a crafting station to make wire. Whole this concept is just redundant and adds completely nothing to the game, but unnecessary complications (if it's required to get wire) or useless item that just clutters code and art files and doesn't change anything (if it's optional and mechanic keeps selling wire as usual).

Whatever. I don't build on whole world and really don't wanna looking for a crafting station to make wire. Whole this concept is just redundant and adds completely nothing to the game, but unnecessary complications (if it's required to get wire) or useless item that just clutters code and art files and doesn't change anything (if it's optional and mechanic keeps selling wire as usual).
It is, a choice. With this, you can either craft the wires, or buy them. If that's your real issue what's the whole deal why brought up the issue of space? And before you say there's nothing else like that where something can't be obtained from 2 sources, ores and bars can alternately be gathered from extraction and crates from fishing. It is almost to the point where one can stop spelunking altogether if one so chooses.

If you don't need the crafting station, trash the bloody thing and buy wires. No more issues, am I right?

If the coding side is your problem, I doubt one crafting station with one new ID will actually mess with the game much.

This station isn't like the extractinator where you have to go find it, it's sold by one of the town NPCs. And it is an alternate choice. You can still buy wire from the mechanic, this is just a cheaper alternative that gives more use for any copper you have lying around. And it changes more than a simple new furniture type but people seem to really love those. Your opinion is valid as an opinion and I respect that, but I just want to make sure it's based on the facts of the situation and not misconceptions :)

o ooo oooooo
I gots a good idea
How about u can make furniture with it out of iron and wire and it's metal furniture that conducts electricity
So if you place a table the 2x3 blocks it takes up acts as wire placed in that 2x3 box
It might be confusing

;P
Ooooh, what if a chair made that way would shock any NPC who sits on it Xp tbh though, I feel like that is it's own suggestion and you should make your own thread for that :) The Drawing Station is simply a machine that draws out copper or tin into wires and it wouldn't make a lot of sense for that to somehow create furniture Xp

This station isn't like the extractinator where you have to go find it, it's sold by one of the town NPCs. And it is an alternate choice. You can still buy wire from the mechanic, this is just a cheaper alternative that gives more use for any copper you have lying around. And it changes more than a simple new furniture type but people seem to really love those. Your opinion is valid as an opinion and I respect that, but I just want to make sure it's based on the facts of the situation and not misconceptions :)
Let's just say that I'm not a fan of redundancies. Especially with an argument "it adds choice", which can be used to justify addition of any useless crap. Though wire/mechanic-themed furniture won't be a redundancy.

Let's just say that I'm not a fan of redundancies. Especially with an argument "it adds choice", which can be used to justify addition of any useless crap. Though wire/mechanic-themed furniture won't be a redundancy.
It does give tin and copper a practical use later in the game while also saving money :) I'm not going to try and force you to agree with me, if you think it's redundant that's totally a valid opinion :) and if you want to keep discussing this, I don't mind the thread bumps XD

Maybe it could be used to craft other mechanical things, like new wrenches and switches and things of that nature.
Hmmm, maybe, but I feel like complicated things like that would require something more complex then a drawing machine. Maybe if you placed it next to a heavy duty work bench you could craft that stuff and wire furniture? :)

When I first saw this I thought it was a bit redundant.
Then I remembered how often I run out of wire without enough money to buy more and how I horde tin/copper like a poverty stricken dragon, and so I reconsidered my position
Full support.
------
A good point to bring up (especially for anyone concerned about floor space): While modern Drawing Machines look like the one Leon posted, old-timey wire drawing was done on equipment like these:
Wiredrawing.jpg
320px-Draw_plates-two.jpg
320px-Draw_tong.jpg

Drawing Plates and Drawing Tongs.

Instead of a big floor size Crafting Station, The Drawing Station could be fairly small and sit on any "flat surface" furniture.
It could even be a wall hanging. [There aren't any wall hung crafting stations yet, are there? Maybe there should be...]

When I first saw this I thought it was a bit redundant.
Then I remembered how often I run out of wire without enough money to buy more and how I horde tin/copper like a poverty stricken dragon, and so I reconsidered my position
Full support.
------
A good point to bring up (especially for anyone concerned about floor space): While modern Drawing Machines look like the one Leon posted, old-timey wire drawing was done on equipment like these:
View attachment 10181
View attachment 10182 View attachment 10183

Drawing Plates and Drawing Tongs.

Instead of a big floor size Crafting Station, The Drawing Station could be fairly small and sit on any "flat surface" furniture.
It could even be a wall hanging. [There aren't any wall hung crafting stations yet, are there? Maybe there should be...]
Oooh, maybe that stuff could be sold by the traveling merchant but only gives you one wire per bar!

I dont see why we shouldn't have this although i would still keep the ability to purchase them as-well.

I dont see why we shouldn't have this although i would still keep the ability to purchase them as-well.
Agreed, this is meant to just be an additional option. I didn't specify that because I thought I'd presented it as an additional alternative to purchasing wire, but seeing as multiple people have brought that up I think I'll add a note to the OP addressing it :)

Back
Top Bottom