Blocks & Decoration The Drawing Station (making wire craftable)

What do you think?

• Love it! Definitely useful, as well as cool!

• Seems cool, could be useful.

• Eh... not really sure.

• Not terrible, but needs some work.

• This isn't really all that useful or interesting.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Nike Leon 🪓

The Axe
Staff member
Note: This is supposed to be an additional means if acquiring wire. I'm not suggesting the mechanic no longer sells wire.

It seems to me that there is little reason to fork up cash for wire when wire is generally made of copper and lets face it, copper is practically useless from the get go, especially if you're an experienced player. This suggestion though, is for a crafting station called (you guessed it) "The Drawing Station". I got the name because copper wire is made by forcing it through a 'draw' (basically a really sturdy funnel) to stretch it out and make it thin and long.

The Draw Sation:
<sprite pending, any takers?>
Sold by: Cyborg/Steampunker (I'm leaning towards Cyborg since steam tech shouldn't really use wires? >.> )
Cost: 10 gold (That seems to be what all the crafting stations go for from the Steampunkers inventory.)
Tooltip: "Used to craft wire."
Recipe: 1 Bar of Copper/Tin (real copper wires are sometimes coated in Tin anyway so hush Xp ) makes 5 wires.

@Geneen 's alt:
Placing multiple stations immediately next to each other in a row gives you 1 wire for each copper bar for each station up to 5 stations.

Placing immediately next to a heavy work bench allows additional crafting.
@MegaMage314 (recipes pending):
Pressure plates
Switches
Levers
Actuators?
Wired furniture is conductive (@Nubs), it acts as if wire of its color is placed over its entire area and shows as much when holding wire revealing objects. It comes in the three different colors of wire. <Recipes pending, probably made of iron/lead and wire.>
Wired Work Bench
Wired Chair
Wired Table
Wired Platform
Wired Door (only counts for area of door when closed)
Wired Bed
Wired Bookcase
Wired Dresser
Wired Bench
Wired Sofa
Wired Piano
Wired Banquet Table

Real wire drawing machines look like this:
pulley-type-wire-drawing-plant.jpg

So I think it should be animated with the cylindrical part spinning and maybe a feed of wire going up to the spool at the top? Should be 3x3 blocks big IMO. Not sure I'm a fan of this particular color scheme though, it's something I'll work on with you if you want to do a sprite.

I know money isn't really a big deal for most people in hardmode but I feel like this would be a lot more convenient as well as finding a non-aesthetic use for all that copper and tin you've gathered. Not to mention it is a lot more cost efficient since copper bars sell for only 1 silver 50 copper each and wire is 5 silver each. And hey, who doesn't want another techy looking furniture piece for their mad science lab? :p

Please let me know your thoughts and opinions :) but be respectful and adhere to the forum rules ;)

Last edited:
Great idea, I'll take you up on the sprite, I watched a few videos and the machine looks extremely long so I was thinking about how to make it fit in Terraria as a crafting station and came up with an idea:
  • One station = one part of the machine.
  • The more parts you put next to each other in a row, the more wire you should get from the copper since the end result wire will be really thin.
  • And there should be a max of machines, like 5 maybe?
So if you have one crafting station alone you should get one wire from one copper bar(for it's very thick), if you have 2 crafting stations you get 2 wires from one copper bar etc.

If you don't like the idea, I'm fine with spriting the 1 crafting station.

So if you have one crafting station alone you should get one wire from one copper bar(for it's very thick), if you have 2 crafting stations you get 2 wires from one copper bar etc.
Hmm that's an interesting mechanic :p I'll have to think on it though >.>
I'm in, if only for this:

Great idea. Copper is useless.
That's why I made sure to point that out ;)
No seriously i remember those threads... I just rarely pay attention to who posts it so I'm not biased
If it makes you feel any better I'm pretty sure most of his suggestions were created on TO before he was a moderator :p

It is an interesting concept, but once in Hardmode, not many people bother to harvest copper. I don't know about everybody, but I usually don't. I like the idea, but I think both methods should be available. I apologize if that is in the OP and I missed it.

It is an interesting concept, but once in Hardmode, not many people bother to harvest copper. I don't know about everybody, but I usually don't. I like the idea, but I think both methods should be available. I apologize if that is in the OP and I missed it.
Oh, well it's not specified in the OP but this suggestion doesn't mean the mechanic stops selling wire. This is just about making it possible to craft wire :)

Nice suggestion, this will make Copper/Tin less useless, but a crafting station only for wire is kinda lame. Maybe more things?

Last edited:
So, the world that has Tin will... you know what am I going to suggest
Somebody didn't read closely :p
Recipe: 1 Bar of Copper/Tin (real copper wires are sometimes coated in Tin anyway so hush Xp ) makes 5 wires.

I don't see why we should waste more space by placing more one-use crafting stations around. There're already more stations than we actually need IMO.

Back
Top Bottom