WIP The Elder Spirits of Light and Dark

What species should the heroes be (pick 4)

• Human

Votes: 6 100.0%
  • Fae

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Harpy

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • Demon

Votes: 6 100.0%
  • Crimtine

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Soulless

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Goblin

Votes: 2 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Candle The Cat

Terrarian
So I have an AU I have been working on near constantly since I introduced my friend to the game. This is not the first time this AU has been seen on the internet, as my sibling has made a fanfiction and reworked it and rereworked it to work with the Calamity mod. That said, I would like to make a story where the AU is how it is intended to be and not overshadowed by Calamity. The AU in question is what I call The Spirit AU, not to be confused with The Spirit Mod which I did not know about when I named the AU. The AU in question adds in many 'Spirits', gods on par with the moonlord, in fact the moonlord is one of them. It diverges from canon majorly in hardmode obviously and is also more... Lax than the actual game in way that a lot of 'evil' things are no longer evil in this AU. I will also be hosting polls which can change the story.

Intro 1: A Legend (You are here!)
Intro 2: The War Between Gods
Chapter 1: A New Beginning
Rise From the Ashes

Once upon a time, there was 6 gods who came across a husk of stone.
The Spirit of Water worked the land, adding needed water and working the stone of the surface into dirt. He tired from this job, and fell asleep, not often rewoken.
The Spirit of the Sky created a star that lights up the day, and many moons to light up the night.
The Spirit of Magic provided power to the world, and let it spin.
The Spirits of Life and Death created plant life, then animals and life crystals to power them.
The Spirit of Fire helped them coordinate, and created warmth for the underground, creating his lair deep below the ground.

This was the first wave of changes done to the ground, and many more were made afterwards, each Spirit creating a brilliant work of art.

Then the races were created. Harpies, who lived in the sky. Demons, who lived in the depths of the underworld. Fae, who lived in Hallowed Ground. Crimtines and Soulless, who lived in their creators' lairs. And finally: Humans and Goblins, who could live just about anywhere with their great creativity.
The world was built up, inherited by the humanoids, but disaster struck. A world was never meant to hold so many different people. War broke out, and as the creations fought over menial things... The Spirits would fight over their creations...

Last edited:
As a note, I will need a beta reader as I am a train-of-thought writer and the story may collapse if I don't get one early to fix stuff. Please message me if you want to apply!

As the Spirits turned on each other, they started to destroy their very creation. The living earth and the death lands started to spread rapidly, becoming known as the Crimson and Corruption. Hallowed ground soon did the same and became known as The Hallow. These three forces tore apart the land and angered the purity. The jungle came to life as a horrible war machine and many curses were placed on friend and foe to make monsters to fight back against the three warring territories. Then the sky started to fall, as even the sky spirit got into the conflict, to protect the world it decorated so carefully.

The fire spirit could not stand this. Everything was coming undone due to the influence of the very ones who made the world. He worked day in night in the great forge of the underworld to come up with a solution, and came up with a spell to seal the spirits.

Thinking rashly, he used it, locking all spirits behind a wall of flesh and blood... And with that, locking away the source of power to the world.
But there is still hope.

Four heroes will rise from the ashes and free the spirits, saving the world.
Hero designs will be made official soon so get your votes in! I will post something on each humanoid later so you know more about them.

Note, while the poll officially closes tomorrow, that's only because I could not close it today. The votes are in and the heroes are the following species: Human, demon, harpy, and after a quick check with a coin, crimtine!

---Albumin---​

Something was very wrong. The world's hearts were beating very quickly, waking Albumin from her slumber. She started to move, but realized what was wrong quickly. The creatures that maintained the living earth so long have turned on her home city. Blood crawlers swarmed the place, nearly up to her room, and have been biting apart the people of life that stay here. She realizes she has to act fast, and grabs a strange device she had been studying.

It was a simple object, made of wood, but with an added heft to if from the magic within. She lifted it, and she felt a pull at her own life energy. She swung it, and a bird popped out, she could feel her hearts and its heart beat as one. This object could create life- but not true life. It is an extension of her own soul. The bird screeched a tiny little chirp and swooped for the window- a simple hole in the flesh, and threw itself into the face of a blood crawler, both falling to the ground. She realized that she had to move- grabbing a few things and not even bothering to take the stairs as she jumped out the window and landed on the blood crawler's back, crushing its ribcage. She grabbed the bird and started to run. Run from the ruins of her home town and up to the surface. There, flying creatures, chimeras, fell upon her, trying to take her apart to build more of themselves. She threw the bird into the jaws of one, and strangely, the bird was unharmed by being bitten, she could feel that. It was pecking away at one as she ran again, until the ground felt dead and hard and grainy all at once.

She looked up to see if she was being followed, and saw something streak the sky...

---Luna---​

No, no, nO, NO! Luna pumped her wings harder, but gravity has caught her, and there is not enough air up here for her weak wings to catch. So now she was falling like one of the few stars left in the sky, and her suit is deteriorating from the friction suddenly thrust upon it. She tried to angle her wings right but falling from space is always a horrible experience that few ever return from- even if they survive, harpies that fall never get home without a rare artifact being found within a day.

Her wings felt like they were burning as she tries to veer upwards, bracing for the point of impact, which came sooner than expected as she collided with a tree. This should have snapped her neck and killed her instantly, but thanks to the lucky horseshoe she had thankfully remembered to grab, she slid down the tree cartoonishly. Just because she wasn't injured doesn't mean she wasn't hurting and dazed, she just lays there at the base of the tree in a small pile of feathers. When the ground stopped spinning under her, she tries to get up, and sees a monster.

She screams, and so does the monster.

---Enish---
Humans have been at war with goblins for a long time. Enish hid by the door, the sword she made drawn and ready. A goblin solder comes in, and she gets a lucky shot, beheading him, before dodging to the other side of the door as arrows twip into the walls. She can't stay here.

She starts heading towards the back of the house, and despite the needed shelter, she knows she has to move. She hears a few explosions, someone has explosives around here and that worries her. She grabs a spike ball she sees outside, and throws it back in time to catch a goblin thief, knocking the goblin down and creating a big wound.

She has to retreat, she may know how to do this but she is still a civilian. She starts to run, dodging arrows and spike balls as she heads into the forest. Finally she gets a moment to catch her breath-- and that's when she hears a scream. She heads that direction and finds a strange sight...

---Lucy---
The underworld was hell. After the great Spirit of Fire disappeared, it all started to fall apart. The grand dragon guardians slowly withered away from the lack of magic to mindless, hostile skeletons. The wildlife slowly got more feral until even a butterfly will try to slay intruders in the territory... And while a butterfly is not too dangerous, the hellbats are.

Lucy was sick and tired of this. She chased out a bat with some of her own fading magic and assessed the damage. The chandler is ruined, the chair has a massive scratch down it, and the window was broken inwards. The food she had been preparing- some sort of mystery meat she got in a trade- was burnt to cinders. She knew this was the last straw but she did not know where to go from here.

She remembers stories of a land far colder, but far safer up above... But the magic was almost gone there. She would have to use tools rather than will her spells into existence, and she was even given an example of one such tool- a simple copper and amethyst staff. The bolts of magic were weak but it may be vital for her rash idea: She will reach the surface. She knows of a dormant volcano not too far from here, where the demons who trade with the world above make their climb.

It's time to go.

---Maxwell---
Well. Everyone is here. Maxwell watches from a tree limb as more people gather here. First, the crimtine came and Maxwell thought it was simple coincidence, as there is not just one hero. The crimtine looked much like a face monster but with a different face- three eyes on the left half of her face, yellow and pupilless, and a mouth running down the right side of her face. That, and a bird's nest in her hair tentacles, a small bird flying over to land. A summoner.

Then the harpy fell out of the sky. She darn near hit the tree, instead opting to hit the tree next to his, and panicked upon seeing the crimtine. Her hair was as brilliant a blue as her wings, and her eyes green. She pulled back a bow she had produced quickly from her pack, an arrow-like feather nocked in. A ranger.

Then the human came, sword drawn and yelling, before noticing the crimtine and harpy having a stand off, the crimtine holding her hands up to show she has no weapon. But that is not true, her bird is the weapon, who has not taken off yet. Maxwell notes that the crimtine must not be very experienced in summoning weapons. The human had blond hair choppily cut short, and a thin build that made it hard to believe she was holding the large copper broadsword so easily. A melee fighter.

Finally, a demon showed up, skin red like fire and eyes just as orange-yellow, with a skull-like head, curled horns, and obsidian wings. Maxwell noted the staff it held. A mage.

As the people, more obviously the heroes now, try to figure out what is going on, Maxwell thought about if he should climb down. Would that demon recognize him? But no, the demon's attention drew upwards and she had no spark of recognition. He jumped down carefully, before getting up with a smile. "Hello, my name is Maxwell, and I have been waiting for this moment a very long time. I will be your guide."

Back
Top Bottom