tModLoader The Enigma Mod

I'd have to agree with all your input, for the most part.
You did of course, miss a few Etherial items. I'll state my opinion on them from my testing.
Etherial Frost: Utterly useless, unfortunately. Applying Frostburn is something countless items from countless mods, and even vanilla, already do. Certainly not worth a slot.
The World of Etheria: Much like the other timestop items, sounds like fun but isn't all that useful. (See below for further explanation)
Etherial Truffle: If I recall, it's a nice boost. But again, sometimes situational unless you build an arena to make the most of it.

Issues with timestop (contd.): The primary issue plaguing timestop, an otherwise very cool expert-only mechanic, is that you essentially need to build around it entirely for it to be useful. When you first get it, it's utterly useless.
-Sands of Time; well, you need to use an accessory slot for Sands of Time to even be able to do anything while in timestop. Even then, it lasts only a few moments before entering a 30 second cooldown, you barely have time to switch to another weapon before it runs out.
-Time Winder isn't all that important, given that at the point you gain access to it, you'll already have good, even great movement abilities, and being able to dodge around better while enemies are frozen isn't all that important.
-Clockface is great, reducing cooldown time, although I forget by how much- I do recall it wasn't enough to make building for timestop worthwhile.
-Hands of Time is again, necessary for using timestop, since it increases that timestop to an almost-bearable length (barely.)
-Father Time, combining the above three, is great, except that it still requires the use of the Sands of Time on top of it to have any value, so still two whole accessory slots out of a maximum of 7 (assuming you're just using Enigma and not a bunch of other mods which happen to add more), where usually defensive or offensive boost accessories will usually be far more useful than a brief timestop with a long cooldown.
-The World of Etheria does essentially nothing, just making it so your projectiles hit the boss before timestop ends rather than after, which doesn't really matter unless you're using some super piercing weapon that breaks horribly when the same type of projectile hits at once (in which case you'd be better off using a Piercing Projectile Fix). It certianly isn't worth an extra accessory slot (or two extra accessory slots if you intend to use it outside of the Etherial, because of the Globe).

While it functions... very suspiciously similarly, I'd reccommend looking to the Antiaris' implementation of timestop in their Time Paradox Crystal item. It doesn't require any accessories to use effectively, simply having a decent-length timestop (10 seconds by default if I recall?) although an unpleasantly long cooldown. Despite both items being somewhat buggy especially when used with certain weapons that don't work well with stopped projectiles (example: staff of explosion from WeaponOut, unfortunately, since it's one of the things that would benefit from the freeze best) they have lots of potential for being very fun, but are both just implemented in a way that makes them more tedious than exciting.

I think Etheria need a animation so i used the unfinished sprite and made this
Etheria.gif

Hi! Thanks for making this mod. It's been fun running around and finding things, and jamming to the obsidium biome music. <3

However, I've run into a bit of a game-breaking bug - when a world is converted to Expert mode (using, say, luiafk commands), it can no longer be loaded. Also, if I try to create an expert world, it crashes immediately. Here's the stack trace:

Code:
Index was outside the bounds of the array.
  at Laugicality.NPCs.EtherialGlobalNPC.ScaleExpertStats(NPC npc, Int32 numPlayers, Single bossLifeScale) in d:\Users\Alex\Documents\My Games\Terraria\ModLoader\Mod Sources\Laugicality\NPCs\EtherialGlobalNPC.cs:line 159
  at Terraria.ModLoader.NPCLoader.ScaleExpertStats(NPC npc, Int32 numPlayers, Single bossLifeScale)
  at Terraria.NPC.scaleStats()
  at Terraria.NPC.SetDefaults(Int32 Type, Single scaleOverride)
  at Luiafk.LuiafkMod.PostAddRecipes()
  at Terraria.ModLoader.RecipeHooks.PostAddRecipes()

Banner Checklist also trips this particular issue when used with it.

Thanks again for making this, and I hope your holidays go well!

I have also been having this issue occasionally.

I can't enter any of my worlds with both enigma and thorium enabled, gotta disable one or both of them to do so, otherwise it'll give me "failed to load, no backup found.". I've managed to create worlds (small, medium and large) with both thorium and enigma enabled. These worlds, like all the other worlds, are inaccessible with both thorium and enigma enabled, and can be accessed if one of them is disabled.

I know you're already aware of the thorium conflict, and that you're trying to fix it, but I thought I'd leave this in here anyways, maybe it helps.

EDIT: Ignore everything above, it was just the pinkymod bug. For those who don't know, such as myself, you can't enter your worlds if you have pinkymod and enigma enabled.

Last edited:
The mod overall is alright, but the obsidium biome is stupid, way too big, and frustrationg, building an hellevator has never been so annoying.The Ragnar boss is absolute bull:red:, way too many things at once, impossible to understand anything, his projectiles deals waaaay too much damage and literally *blends in with the background*.
5/10, the obsidium biime literally ruins a part of the game

Ragnar is more managable if you have an open space in the obsidium biome, I'd also rate him just before the WoF. pets are good especially those that fly or shoot fast and a high velosity ranged or magic assault is more feasible than melee though bees are somewhat effective but you need to lead your target as they are slow.

I really really like this mod, and think the Obsidium biome is incredibly neat. But please, PLEASE for the love of all that is good reduce the Magamtipede spawn rate. I can't even get NEAR the Biome without one spawning and ramming it's gigantic body into places i'd rather they not. Even using my Hellivator is hell.

I'd have genuinely skipped Ragnar over if I knew these things would start spawning, not even Peace Candles assuage the asinine spawn rates. I really enjoy so much of what this mod introduces, but this won't do.

Last edited:
I just finished my first playthrough with this mod; here's some feedback.

Potion Gems/Crystals/Stones/Relics/Artifact were really nice; having to use an accessory slot, but being able to combine them later on, made for a reasonable progression.

That said, I was playing a mage, and the Mana Regeneration Gem does not work as advertised. The Mana Regeneration Potion essentially modifies the mana regen formula to always treat the player as standing still and having max mana, as well as reducing the delay before regeneration starts. I don't know exactly what the Gem does, but it is still dependent on current mana, and doesn't reduce the initial delay nearly as much. Is this for balance reasons, or is it a bug? The wiki goes into detail on how the potion works here: https://terraria.wiki.gg/Mana, which is probably a better explanation.

The various normal-world bosses were fun fights, with the exception of the Steam Train, though I think that's more a matter of my arena and the Electrospark being OP.
I did encounter a bug with Dioritus/Andesia/AnDio though. My first attempt at fighting them I died to Dioritus, and my second attempt to Andesia. But on my third attempt I fought (and beat) Dioritus, Andesia, Andesia again, Dioritus and Andesia together, AnDio; I assume that the second Andesia is not supposed to be there. Also, on subsequent fights, the battle is only Dioritus and Andesia together, AnDio; I do not fight them individually.

The weapons I tried (all the magic ones) seemed mostly balanced, with the exception of Electrospark. Being able to pierce through blocks and that high a number of enemies with high damage, fire rate, and spread is too much. I'd suggest removing the piercing (blocks and enemies), since the Steaminator fills that niche, and it would give more incentive to space the projectile so it has room to split.

The Etherial is a cool idea, but needs work (which you've noted in the OP). The Etherial versions of most earlier bosses don't hold up to post-Golem firepower, and the Golem itself is one of the easier bosses to start with. Plantera and the Steam Trio were the only ones to put up a decent fight, though Skeletron had a nasty surprise. The Etherial items also range all over the place in regards to balance and usefulness. Here's my thoughts on them, in approximately boss order.
  • Etherial Gel: It's not bad, but there are plenty of other accessories that do this or better, especially wings.
  • Eye of Etheria: I assume this is going to be more relevant as the mod develops; currently I don't see much use for looking across the dimensions.
  • Ascension: This one was good; it's hard to go wrong with better wings.
  • Etherial Scarf: Bland, but mostly balanced.
  • Fragmented Mind: Potentially a good risk/reward item, but I rarely find myself in a situation where I can afford to take a few hits, unless my Defense is so high I can just tank things outright. This may just be what I get for playing a mage though.
  • Byfrost: It seems a bit weak, since damage over time effects only really work well against bosses.
  • Etherial Pack: The effect is basically useless; honey is very rare, meaning this only works if you build an arena specifically to make use of this accessory.
  • Molten Etheria: Lava is more common, but this is even harder to use in arenas/most boss fights. The max Life bonus does at least give this some general-purpose use.
  • Etherial Skull: Hilariously overpowered; I've managed to get nearly a 600% boost in damage from this accessory.
  • The World of Etheria: I haven't used Time Stop yet, so no comment.
  • Etherial Energy: Another accessory slot is always welcome.
  • The Destruction: On its own, this would probably still be too powerful. With the Etherial Skull, however, you can easily tank even the Moon Lord and get a massive damage boost from it.
  • Mechanical Rage: I wasn't able to properly test this one, but the basic idea seems good.
  • Justice: Potentially very good, potentially worthless. It all depends on whether that one hit was a big one or a small one. Overall, I think it's fine, though it's not my cup of tea.
  • The Annihilation: "On kill" effects have the problem of not being good against most bosses, which is where you most want big damage boosts. It's not bad, so much as it doesn't have a good time to use it.
  • Etherworks: This, on the other hand, is perfect for events. One enemy dies, explodes into cogs, and potentially kills another enemy in a chain reaction. Having the debuff means it still has some uses against bosses too. It's probably my favorite of these: a relatively balanced unique effect.
  • Etherial Tank: The sound on this gets old quickly; maybe tie it to the visibility toggle? I couldn't get the collision part to work right, and the formula is hard to understand without knowing what value is used for movement speed. It's hopefully not mph, because I was up to 100 mph on Asphalt, which would give 50,000 damage.
  • Etherial Sac: This one feels okay. Being grappled to a block is a dangerous thing in the endgame fights, but this provides a high payoff, and the life regen helps mitigate the risk. It also has synergy with the Antigravity Hook
  • Stone of Etheria: This one can get out of hand with the Etherial Skull/The Destruction combo, but will probably be fine once that gets fixed.
  • I couldn't find an Etherial Duke Fishron summon.
  • Etherial Globe: Being able to take your shiny new toys anywhere is a good payoff for beating the Moon Lord.
The Bysmal armor could probably use a better explanation for how it works. I'd also appreciate a way to "lock" the effects; currently I've got Etherial Skull/The Destruction/Etherial Globe for effective godmode, but fighting any Etherial boss would mean fighting Skeletron/The Destroyer/Moon Lord again just to get back to where I am now. Also, this really needs something for summoners, because they don't get any minions from this armor set.
The Bysmal tier is also missing a magic weapon, though it's not really a big deal.

I liked the sprites, though something about Slybertron seems a bit off. I also liked the music, especially Obsidium, Ragnar, and Etheria. And this is more of a personal thing, but I appreciate that the mod isn't constantly flooding my inventory with items I have no use for-- that's one of my biggest gripes with a lot of content mods (especially Thorium). Overall, I plan to keep this mod, and I'll probably give Mystic a try soon.
Thank you so much for this awesome feedback- and sorry I didn't reply earlier! I popped in to the forums every now and then, but for some stupid reason I never saw ANY notifications, so I just assumed the forum page was dead.

I will definitely keep those balance notes into consideration for the Etherial accessories- I'm going to be playing through the entire mod several times to rebalance the whole thing for the 1.0 update (which should hopefully be coming soon). Also a way to lock Bysmal armor bonuses is a great idea- I can't believe I didnt think of that. What gear were you using that made the early Etherial fights easy? I thought I had balanced them quite well, but I might have just missed some obvious weps that were very powerful for that tier. [Also on the note of the Steam Train fight- I had refactored the code for Steam Train a while ago, and apparently I forgot to make it so that the different phases actually changed his damage/movement speed. I fixed that in a semi-recent update, so hopefully it's a more interesting fight!]

Again, thanks very much for taking the time to type this feedback. I really appreciate it! `:D

I'd have to agree with all your input, for the most part.
You did of course, miss a few Etherial items. I'll state my opinion on them from my testing.
Etherial Frost: Utterly useless, unfortunately. Applying Frostburn is something countless items from countless mods, and even vanilla, already do. Certainly not worth a slot.
The World of Etheria: Much like the other timestop items, sounds like fun but isn't all that useful. (See below for further explanation)
Etherial Truffle: If I recall, it's a nice boost. But again, sometimes situational unless you build an arena to make the most of it.

Issues with timestop (contd.): The primary issue plaguing timestop, an otherwise very cool expert-only mechanic, is that you essentially need to build around it entirely for it to be useful. When you first get it, it's utterly useless.
-Sands of Time; well, you need to use an accessory slot for Sands of Time to even be able to do anything while in timestop. Even then, it lasts only a few moments before entering a 30 second cooldown, you barely have time to switch to another weapon before it runs out.
-Time Winder isn't all that important, given that at the point you gain access to it, you'll already have good, even great movement abilities, and being able to dodge around better while enemies are frozen isn't all that important.
-Clockface is great, reducing cooldown time, although I forget by how much- I do recall it wasn't enough to make building for timestop worthwhile.
-Hands of Time is again, necessary for using timestop, since it increases that timestop to an almost-bearable length (barely.)
-Father Time, combining the above three, is great, except that it still requires the use of the Sands of Time on top of it to have any value, so still two whole accessory slots out of a maximum of 7 (assuming you're just using Enigma and not a bunch of other mods which happen to add more), where usually defensive or offensive boost accessories will usually be far more useful than a brief timestop with a long cooldown.
-The World of Etheria does essentially nothing, just making it so your projectiles hit the boss before timestop ends rather than after, which doesn't really matter unless you're using some super piercing weapon that breaks horribly when the same type of projectile hits at once (in which case you'd be better off using a Piercing Projectile Fix). It certianly isn't worth an extra accessory slot (or two extra accessory slots if you intend to use it outside of the Etherial, because of the Globe).

While it functions... very suspiciously similarly, I'd reccommend looking to the Antiaris' implementation of timestop in their Time Paradox Crystal item. It doesn't require any accessories to use effectively, simply having a decent-length timestop (10 seconds by default if I recall?) although an unpleasantly long cooldown. Despite both items being somewhat buggy especially when used with certain weapons that don't work well with stopped projectiles (example: staff of explosion from WeaponOut, unfortunately, since it's one of the things that would benefit from the freeze best) they have lots of potential for being very fun, but are both just implemented in a way that makes them more tedious than exciting.
Thanks very much for your thoughts! Byfrost [formarly known as Etherial Frost] actually inflicts 'Frostbite', a debuff Enigma adds that deals 320 damage per second (very different to Frostburn lol)

Time Stop was made to made to be somewhat useful with minimal accessories to accent it, but also so that you could make a build entirely around it to make it incredibly useful. I'm planning on adding many more accessories that alter the way Time Stop works, including things that increase damage, dont let you take damage, and more while Time is Stopped. I really don't like the way Antiaris designed their time stop effect. It's there, it's cool, and that's it. The thing I like most about Terraria is how you can make builds that cater to a specific playstyle, and also change them on a whim. Being able to make a Time-Stop build I think is way cooler than just having a single time stop item, although there isnt currently much option for a time stop build in Enigma, so I can see where complaints could be had. (Did you mention that you knew that there was a Mystic armor set that also synergizes with Time Stop? I feel like that is a huge part of the mechanic if you missed it that might change how you see it).
But yeah, I'm definitely planning to do more with Time Stop in the future. Thanks for the feedback!
[doublepost=1554428014,1554427817][/doublepost]
I really really like this mod, and think the Obsidium biome is incredibly neat. But please, PLEASE for the love of all that is good reduce the Magamtipede spawn rate. I can't even get NEAR the Biome without one spawning and ramming it's gigantic body into places i'd rather they not. Even using my Hellivator is hell.

I'd have genuinely skipped Ragnar over if I knew these things would start spawning, not even Peace Candles assuage the asinine spawn rates. I really enjoy so much of what this mod introduces, but this won't do.
I definitely hear the compaints about the Obsidium Enemies. I'm going to be adding a bunch of new enemies that can't go through walls, which will reduce the amount of enemies you see that are able to go through walls just by the fact that there are more enemies to pick from in the spawning pool. I'll try reducing the rate for now though until that change happens. Thanks for the feedback!

I'm incredibly sorry to everyone on the forums- I've totally been negating this place. I occasionally peaked in to see if I had any notifications, but for some reason I always had none- even though people had replied to this thread! I'll definitely be doing my best to check on here in the future.

I'm incredibly sorry to everyone on the forums- I've totally been negating this place. I occasionally peaked in to see if I had any notifications, but for some reason I always had none- even though people had replied to this thread! I'll definitely be doing my best to check on here in the future.
You see this and all the posts before it everyone?

This, is the mark of someone who cares.

This is what the other big mod devs failed to provide in the fading years.

and I'm very happy Laugic is still with us.

---

The mod is awesome mod man, if things come up IRL you can't work on it that's fine as long as you let us all know
Take, your, time, there's no rush. And I don't see why others would rush.

It's still a shame the conflict with Pinky's mod still hasn't been discovered, but I guess that's one price paid for the existance of a really good mod.
Also I really think you should that animated sprite of Etheria in the next update, but that's just me.

I have no plans to drop the mod any time soon. Also the new sprite for Etheria is in already- did you send that animation knowing that @IDGCaptianRussia? I think it would be quite weird to have only 1 of her phases be animated.

I have no plans to drop the mod any time soon. Also the new sprite for Etheria is in already- did you send that animation knowing that @IDGCaptianRussia? I think it would be quite weird to have only 1 of her phases be animated.
I didn't make the animation it was something posted earlier in the thread.
All I knew was that a still sprite existed and then this guy animated it.
I just thought it was cool.
No I didn't know

There's a slight issue with "The Messenger" summon staff that's made from AnDio drops. Their projectiles travel very far and through blocks, and as a result can go to places I don't want them to visit and perform deeds I don't want them to.
For example, first time I moved over (as if, on surface of) jungle towards ocean with them, I ended up with two Queen Bee fights in a row. This duo broke larva pods in those two hives - from the surface.
And just think about all the pots they broke, all the plants they uprooted, all the loot that's now lies in those caves, to be discarded on reload... And clog my FPS until I reload.
I think reducing their projectile life time to a quarter of what they have now would remedy this issue.

Attachments

• 2.png
    2.png
    82.1 KB · Views: 309
There's a slight issue with "The Messenger" summon staff that's made from AnDio drops. Their projectiles travel very far and through blocks, and as a result can go to places I don't want them to visit and perform deeds I don't want them to.
For example, first time I moved over (as if, on surface of) jungle towards ocean with them, I ended up with two Queen Bee fights in a row. This duo broke larva pods in those two hives - from the surface.
And just think about all the pots they broke, all the plants they uprooted, all the loot that's now lies in those caves, to be discarded on reload... And clog my FPS until I reload.
I think reducing their projectile life time to a quarter of what they have now would remedy this issue.
I'll get on that- thanks for pointing it out!

Back
Top Bottom