NPCs & Enemies The Explorer NPC!

Allow me to introduce... the Explorer NPC! The Explorer will move into an available house after the Wall of Flesh has been defeated. Once the Explorer has moved in, he will leave to go on an "expedition". (It would be nice if a chat message appeared saying "The Explorer is going on a journey." To keep track.) After this expedition, when he returns, he/she would bring back exotic items, such as some pickaxes without a reforge, accessories such as the Guide to Plant Fiber Cordage, and also maybe, VERY RARELY, a type of solution.
Notes:
- The Explorer could possibly be another type of were-creature, such as the zoologist.
- Perhaps the loot that The Explorer brings back could be better as you progress.
- Name ideas: Indy, Alex, Steve, Lewis, Clark, Miguel, Tulio, Francis, Marco, Christopher
- Perhaps the Traveling Merchant and The Explorer do not like eachother.
- Perhaps you could send the Explorer on an expedition as an extra button?
- Perhaps he could sell something, that highlights Evil Biomes (Crimson/Corruption) on your map, but it would only sell such things as a map of the Evil biomes, and some hardmode locations such as the Beehive, but not late-game things such as the Lizahrd Temple. This would be sold only on the full moon... It would also cost a pretty penny!

Idea from

Talerax:​

Maybe something more interesting, but also more complicated, like having a quest, similar to the fishing quest, but you supply the food to the Explorer, and they come back in the next few days with the map of the place they have been to (Such as a map of a part of the evil biomes, the jungle, and occasionally they could say "Hey, I found something you might want to look at." And it could be a type of structure, such as a Lizahrd Temple, or a Beehive.)
Actually, maybe as an additive to their default randomly timed expedition, You could add a funding feature to improve the rewards. I imagine that would be easier to implement than making explicit quests for it." - Talerax (Parts edited by me)

Original NPC name: Tourist

(Most of the randomly generated names and the new NPC name credit to Aceplante)

Last edited:
"the Explorer"

Potential names: Indy, alex, steve, lewis, clark, Miguel, Tulio, Francis, Marco, Christopher.

Sells random tools (Which always have negative modifiers) and ores/crystals? (which change as the game progresses)

Last edited:
There is already a map in-game, but maybe he could sell something to activate parts of the map that you haven't explored? Interesting idea.
Thats exactly what I was just thinking, perhaps key locations like a beehive/marble cave/granite cave or always centered on an underground house

Thats exactly what I was just thinking, perhaps key locations like a beehive/marble cave/granite cave or always centered on an underground house
Yes, however trying to find them can be fun! Perhaps something could be sold that highlights evil biomes and evil blocks on your map!

Yes, however trying to find them can be fun! Perhaps something could be sold that highlights evil biomes and evil blocks on your map!
I think it's better to have an alternative for people who were not having as much fun blindly hunting down those places for the missing loots.

You can set it to be more on the expensive side and probably have very limit stock available each day, so it's not outright replaced the old school exploration.

I think it's better to have an alternative for people who were not having as much fun blindly hunting down those places for the missing loots.

You can set it to be more on the expensive side and probably have very limit stock available each day, so it's not outright replaced the old school exploration.
Yes, that's why I said in the notes that finding the objectives is part of the fun! I kind of don't want this to be added in a sense.

Yes, that's why I said in the notes that finding the objectives is part of the fun! I kind of don't want this to be added in a sense.
I get you, and that's why I proposed a solution by time-gated/money-gated it. You can even outright make it available only on full moon and sell for 1 plat or something like that. Would that take away the fun still?

Or maybe something more interesting but also more complicated, like having a quest like fishing quest but you supply the food to the Explorer, and they come back in the next few days with the map of the place they have been to.
Actually, maybe tied that to their default expedition, but add funding feature to improve the rewards. I imagine that would be easier to implement than making explicit quests for it.

Last edited:
I get you, and that's why I proposed a solution by time-gated/money-gated it. You can even outright make it available only on full moon and sell for 1 plat or something like that. Would that take away the fun still?

Or maybe something more interesting but also more complicated, like having a quest like fishing quest but you supply the food to the Explorer, and they come back in the next few days with the map of the place they have been to.
Actually, maybe tied that to their default expedition, but add funding feature to improve the rewards. I imagine that would be easier to implement than making explicit quests for it.
Interesting idea!

I just realized, It could not be key points to progression like beehives, but useful locations such as a marble cave! Medusa spawns in marble caves, so for a Mage playthrough it would be very useful to find them to the the Medusa Head!

I just realized, It could not be key points to progression like beehives, but useful locations such as a marble cave! Medusa spawns in marble caves, so for a Mage playthrough it would be very useful to find them to the the Medusa Head!
Or both? just key locations sometimes a hive if you send him to the jungle, sometimes a marble or granite cave? or maybe just always centered on an underground house?

Back
Top Bottom