NPCs & Enemies The Explorer (Trading NPC)

DJFlare84

Mechanic
((NOTE: This initial post has been edited and some of the old ideas scrapped and new ideas added in. As a result, some of the earliest replies will not make sense. Don't worry about it.))

~THE EXPLORER~
An NPC like the Travelling Merchant. Instead of selling wares, The Explorer allows you to trade corrupt/crimson materials for their alternative equivalents (aka 3 ores of crimtane for 3 ores of demonite, or 3 shadow scales for 3 tissue samples, or a Panic Necklace for a Band of Starpower). A small fee would be charged for each transaction depending on the rarity and number of materials being traded.

~THE BLACKSMITH~
Allows one to craft weapons and armor using less materials for a small fee and a wait period (example: Blacksmith can craft a Gold Pick for only 6 of the 12 bars of gold you'd originally need, and charge you 20 silver for the work. He would complete the pick in 3 in-game days and you would come pick it up after).

Additionally, once the server enters HardMode, the BlackSmith can imbue any weapon with stats of a stronger but similar weapon (aka a Raven Staff can be given the stats of a Stardust Dragon Staff by giving the BlackSmith both weapons. The Stardust Dragon Staff would be consumed in the process and the Raven Staff would now have similar stats). If the BlackSmith dies, any items you gave him to work on an order will be dropped from his corpse.

Last edited:
I see what you're trying to do, but I just don't like the idea of this, thecalts are meant to be, well alts.

I see what you're trying to do, but I just don't like the idea of this, thecalts are meant to be, well alts.
A valid opinion. It's not just to get the alt ores, though. There are some items you can only obtain in a world with one of the specific alts on it.

Band of StarPower for instance, which you'll want if you're going to do any serious mage-ing.

And someone made a suggestion thread to suggest "Tungsten Bullets" as an altworld version of Silver Bullets.

The Explorer is primarily to fix issues such as that.

A pretty simple concept. The Explorer would be a new shop NPC that sells all materials which have "alternatives".

As an example, he would sell all metals which have alternatives, from Iron and Lead all the way to Adamantite and Titanium.
He would not, however, sell Meteorite, Hellstone or Chlorophyte since these are materials that don't have alternatives and can be found on any world.

He would also sell all corruption/crimson related things such as Crimtane, Rotten Meat, Cursed Flames and the Panic Necklace.

Ideally, the Explorer's shop inventory would expand based on your progress. Perhaps even requiring the player to complete quests to add certain items to his inventory.

"Bring me a bar of Crimtane!", and upon completion he would allow you to purchase Crimtane AND Demonite.

Bringing him some Shadow Scales or Tissue Samples would unlock all the items that can be obtained from shadow orbs and demon hearts, as well as shadow scales and tissue samples themselves.

Lemme know if I'm missing anything...

the thing is wouldn't it be op shadow scales are normally only obtainable through killing the eater of worlds so making them purchasable wouldn't be balanced even if you beat him once things like stone/wood is sort of understandable for builders since they are common materials but are a hassle to aquire enough of and if the npc lived in a desert biome then sand/glass maybe?

So bring him one bar and you can buy an entire set of armor?
Bad idea.
Instead, I recommend giving him the ability to exchange them, for a price depending on what you are exchanging.

So bring him one bar and you can buy an entire set of armor?
Bad idea.
Instead, I recommend giving him the ability to exchange them, for a price depending on what you are exchanging.
That'd work too. I figured coding for exchanges might be more difficult but that'd actually be the preferred method.

So one could put a Panic Necklace in the trade slot and get a Band of Starpower in exchange with a small fee attached. I like it.

Right. Money on its own balances nothing, so a trade system would be appropriate. Though wouldn't it work as an alternate function for the Traveling Merchant?

Right. Money on its own balances nothing, so a trade system would be appropriate. Though wouldn't it work as an alternate function for the Traveling Merchant?
The Travelling Merchant doesn't seem like much of a hardcore adventurer, really. He OCCASIONALLY has some weapon related stuff like the Pulse Bow, but other than that most of his inventory is domestic and aesthetic in nature.

I'd prefer The Explorer be a new NPC, really.

I like the idea of swapping the ore for their alt for a small fee. Still most of it can already be obtained by fishing up crates or using the extractinator. That's how I got all the armor sets. Still that can take a lot of time to get everything and you can't get the corruption/crimson items.

Love the idea. However...
1. Give him a bar and you get the armor with it. Seems weird. Maybe a certain amount of bars.
2. Trading in Terraria is pretty much ruining the gameplay (to others abive me), so maybe make him like the Travelling Merchant
3. Maybe more features?

Love the idea. However...
1. Give him a bar and you get the armor with it. Seems weird. Maybe a certain amount of bars.
2. Trading in Terraria is pretty much ruining the gameplay (to others abive me), so maybe make him like the Travelling Merchant
3. Maybe more features?
1. I'm not sure what you mean by this. If you mean the shop version, I might just take that down, because I like the Trade version better.
2. I'm not sure I agree. lol
3. I don't think he would need anymore. It's a pretty big feature in and of itself...

1. I'm not sure what you mean by this. If you mean the shop version, I might just take that down, because I like the Trade version better.
2. I'm not sure I agree. lol
3. I don't think he would need anymore. It's a pretty big feature in and of itself...
1. The trade system. When you trade a certain amount of bars (20-60), you can get the armor/gear
2. Can't argue with that
3. Oh ok

1. The trade system. When you trade a certain amount of bars (20-60), you can get the armor/gear
OH. You said "Bar", so I thought you were saying it looked like the player could trade a single bar for a whole set of armor and I was like "What? No! That's redonkulous...".

But, yeah. If you trade 60-ish bars of Crimtane and some Tissue Samples for 60-ish bars of Demonite and some Shadow Scales, of COURSE you can just craft them into Shadow Armor.

There's nothing in the game that prevents you from CRAFTING shadow armor in a crimson world as long as you bring the materials.

When it comes to Demonite and Crimtane ores/bars, I support this.
But when it comes to the pre-hardmode/hardmode alternative ores/bars, can't they be found in fishing crates already?

You want to fish for that stuff?
Forgot to mention this in my previous post, but the Extractinator also yields alternative ores, albeit these are the pre-hardmode ores.
Replying to your post, the fact of whether one wants to fish for the crates is irrelevant, the fact is that obtaining the alternatives ores/bars is possible without the need for a new mechanic.

Forgot to mention this in my previous post, but the Extractinator also yields alternative ores, albeit these are the pre-hardmode ores.
Replying to your post, the fact of whether one wants to fish for the crates is irrelevant, the fact is that obtaining the alternatives ores/bars is possible without the need for a new mechanic.
A fair point. A fairer point, however, that just because there are alternative methods to obtain the ores doesn't mean allowing the player to trade with the Explorer for them is an un-necessary suggestion (if you read the new forum guidelines for criticism, there is a new rule specifically about matters like these).

A fair point. A fairer point, however, that just because there are alternative methods to obtain the ores doesn't mean allowing the player to trade with the Explorer for them is an un-necessary suggestion (if you read the new forum guidelines for criticism, there is a new rule specifically about matters like these).
Nowhere in my post have I ever stated that your sugggestion was unnecessary. I was merely stating my opinion, and this, in no way whatsoever, reflects that of the developers.

Back
Top Bottom