The fisherman with mental problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TerraBlade

Terrarian
Ok... So in my large tower i have the fisherman. He gives me ridiculous fish such as the gem fish. I look it up on the wiki and look at his hints. I look everywhere still to find nothing.... Is every fish he recall rare? Like one time i saw a million penguins in the snow biome. A few hours later he ask for one. I happily walk to the location of the penguins and none of them are there... What.

yeah every fish he requests is ridiculously rare you'll need some good bait a large pool and some potions additionally there is a specific "time to fish as well which just adds to the tedium...
When I try to get fishing related items I end up hating myself so much that I feel that I'd pay the devs to remove the mechanic if I could... :(

He asked you for a penguin? What.

Quest fish are only ever available if he wants the specific one at the time. You'll never catch one he doesn't currently want.

he can't ask for a pinguin, it was probably a pengfish

i've never problems with those quest fishing, i hook them after 5-10 tries

I wouldn't say that every fish he asks is super rare. Ofttimes he asks me for a Fallen Starfish or another Forest fish, I'll walk out onto his little dock and fish it up first try.

The penguin fish is kinda hard. You have to be on the surface biome and have enough water to not get a penalty -or its old sneekers fo you!

Whenever I go for quest fish I catch a whole bunch of them, often one right after another. They're not super rare. You just need decent equipment, a sufficiently large pond/ocean/honey pool, and a little patience.

With a good rod and average bait I have no trouble at all bringing in five quest fish (one to give to the obnoxious kid and four to store in a chest for later) plus heaps of seafood, potion ingredients, tool-fishes, crates, and the occasional Frog Leg, Zephyr Fish, or other special item. It's not unusual for my characters to fill their inventories up and have excess Reaver Sharks, Sawtooth Sharks, and Swordfish literally covering the floor around them.

After selling what I can't use my average fishing trip generates between one-half and one platinum, plus the crates which I'm keeping to be opened in hardmode where they'll be worth more.

[edit] Ack, thread necromancy. The OP's probably no longer around to read this. Maybe it will help someone else.

Last edited:
The fish that the Angler requests aren't that hard to get. It's a 1-in-10 chance to catch one if you have the Angler in your town, and they follow the same requirements as other fish, so they need a very large pool of liquid, the correct biome, and a pretty high fishing power to be able to get them very quickly.

The way fishing is implemented is indeed frustrating in some ways. Construct artificial biomes at the appropriate depth for guaranteed success. I use 20x20 boxes and fill them with water.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom