Story "The Future Will Be Better…" A Sci-Fi Apocolyptic Adventure.

king40606

Terrarian
The Future Will Be Better.

(Cover art soon!)

So, after remembering this concept back in the days when I thought I could easily make a video game, I instead decided to make it a story. The whole goal of this is to experiment with writing long tales, see how long I can keep it up, and see if anyone enjoys reading it.

Of course, support and criticism is always welcome, as I would like to improve in areas, and I believe direct feedback is the best way to do so.

In short, this will be a Sci-Fi adventure story I'll be working on periodically, and possibly frequently, if enough people like it and want more. I do enjoy writing stuff like this, it is actually incredibly enjoyable, and even though I am taking a short break from the forums, I felt like it is a good idea to still post art and express my creativity to the fullest.

Either way, enjoy! I really did work a few days on this, and I hope it is an enjoyable read.
I walk through the hallways of my school, looking the same after years of forced living. I look along the lockers, see some that are a badly damaged, some open, some with nothing inside. The floor shines after a new polish the night before. Classrooms line the walls like Christmas lights line a tree.

However much of a home our government believes this is, it will never be mine. It has been six years since I have seen the outside world. Six years since I have seen my parents, my own home, my backyard, and my pets. I remember my own room, I had a dresser full of clothes that were not uniform in color and design. A computer in which I could look up and find whatever info I need. A console which I would play video games on. It is all gone now, for they won't let us go back.

These repetitive hallways I have been in have broken me. The exact same sight over and over again, has caused me to break inside. I know I will never meet my parents again. All I do is get lost in thought, and wander these hallways looking for the hope I once had.

“Hey, Rich! You stuck in your little imaginary world again?! Loser!”
I glance behind me, toward the voice that broke me from my trance. The hallway is empty except for me.
“Where are you :red:? If you want to come get me, then do it.”

A long pause. I begin to walk away when I hear shuffling of sneakers behind me. I stare straight into the eyes of Jay Geno, or the school’s, “popular mascot".

Jay and I were friends back in the first two years. I helped him from losing his sanity. His parents meant everything to him. Losing them caused his spirit to break quicker than I would've thought. He attempted suicide numerous times only to fail. I tried to help him only to make things worse. So instead, he betrayed my trust and went on drugs and alcohol stolen from the outside world. Ever since then, these past four years have been him against me. He gathered cronies and other broken kids, and at one point attempted to kill me, only to fail due to a sudden betrayal of someone he trusted. They saved me, but then left. I don't even know his name.

“I thought you would've found it by now, Rich. To think you haven't seen what the school has been hiding from us this whole time. I know how much you want to get out of this hellhole, and I know a way.”
He was right. I always wanted an escape. This place was a prison, and nobody could get out. Not even the teachers themselves. The only thing we knew, is that the adults refused to tell. Every time someone would ask about what was going on on the outside, they would stiffen up and go stoic. I see it in their eyes. Fear. Fear of whatever is out there. And I want to go see.

“Like hell I would believe you, Jay. I don't care how big the secret is. You tried to kill me. Do you really think I would trust you again?!”
I saw the anger begin to light up in his eyes, as he seemed to go tense. He glared intensely at me, speaking in a low tone,
“…We do not mention what happened before Rich, you know that.”
“Oh, is that because you failed? Because you didn't get a chance to take out your problems on someone else? Because one of your people that you trusted instead came to their senses and saved me? Is that why you don't want to mention it?! Huh?!”

He looked down at the floor, the atmosphere changing entirely. I could feel the anger and tension in the air. I was in an anger filled haze. I did not notice the footsteps all around me.
“…Rich, you of all people know that you should not mess with me. Not after what you did. We are going to show you the secret, whether you like it or not.”
I saw him snap his fingers as he looked up, a devious grin on his face. Three bodies instantly tackled me to the ground. I tried to scream and struggle, but my limbs and mouth were held shut.
I saw the bastard walk over me as I was held down, “Come on Rich, you need to see what you have been missing.”
Another snap, and I felt a sharp pain in my head. I go dizzy, and begin to see stars, I feel myself being pulled out of reality, and into my sleep state of mind.
“Goodnight, old friend.”

“Ugh, *cough* *cough*, where…”
“Welcome back sleepyhead, I knew you would get up eventually.”

I began to regain my senses, the first thing I smell is his alcohol scented breath. I am disgusted, nearly vomiting.

“Take a look around, old friend. Not like you will be leaving anytime soon.”

My vision clears. I see… myself in a dark room. The lights are dim, nearly out. I feel the cold air brush up against my skin, giving me chills. I smell the scent of metal and rust. I hear the dripping of leaking water pipes all around me.
I look in front of me only to see a bright light from an open door. Shadows of 4 people, assuming those who took me here, standing by a wall, their faces unclear to me.

I try to speak, only to feel the sticky surface of tape on my lips. I begin to scream, only to come out as a muffled yell to my own ears.

“Rich, welcome to what they have been hiding from us. You always wanted to know why? The world is dying, friend. These are made to preserve human life. Cryopods. Unused.”
‘Cryopods?’ I think to myself, unsure of what this entails. I have never heard of such a device.
“Untested. To preserve our lives in case of disaster, you will be the first one to test to see if they work. After all, nobody likes you anyway, might as well get rid of you. You want to get out of here don't you? Well, why wait, let's see what happens if we freeze you in time.”
I hear a hydraulic door shut, sealing me inside a pod exactly my height. A single window let's me see the shadows, silhouettes in the darkness.

I try to scream, only to watch them press something on a wall. I see them shaking, presumably laughter, and I hear a cold rush of wind on my ears. My breathing gets heavy, I look through the window and try to move, try to escape, desperately wanting to live. I give a final kick with my limbs, and hear a bang. Not even a scratch.
I begin to slow down, my vision fading into nothing. It is very cold, very dark. I see frost form on the glass as my heart rate begins to slow. I stop struggling. I stop moving. As my vision fades to white, I hear one last thing,
“Night night, the future will be better.”

“Ugh”.
My eyes are all white. I can’t sense anything. It’s like looking at a blank wall. There is nothing.
‘Must be some kind of dream’, I think to myself.
I begin to slightly pick up something with my ears. I could not make it out, but I know the familiar feeling of a noise. A sound so familiar yet so, so strange…
‘Beep…Beep…Beep’
“An alarm?” I think to myself, as I begin to regain feeling in my limbs. Furiously cold. I knew the dangers of frostbite, but this was incomparable to any other kind of cold.

“B-b-b-r-r-rrr…”
My entire body shivers. Wherever I was, I wanted to get out. It felt like I just woke up from death itself.
I felt my hot breath against my own skin. My eyes still blurry and irritable, due to the extreme cold. Was I dead? Alive? I wasn't truly sure.
Control began to come back. Slowly but surely, I began to move my arms. I rubbed my irritated eyes, hoping to see something, so I knew where I was. Instead, I feel the rough surface of cold tape on my mouth. I tear it off, feeling pain and freezing tears began to fall out of my already irritated eyes.
The tears began to…melt? Out of my eyes? Quite a strange feeling, suddenly freezing cold water flowing down my face. It hurt. Way more than I thought it would.
I tried to wipe the tears away, but they kept on flowing, down my body and clothes… clothes? It's so cold it felt like I was nude. Last I remembered, I was in a sweatshirt, just how cold is this place?!
Finally, my vision was beginning to slowly come back. A familiar feeling washed over me… it has been a while, but my mind began to wake up. I was here before… before… something. Just thinking makes my mind scream in pain. It feels like a thousand needles all being put in at once.

I see… a glass window, slowly, my focus begins to expand. I see the frost on the glass, and the mark my hot breath left on it. I glanced to my left and right, both walls presumably made of steel and bolts, or at least, that I could make out. I can't see through the window, but it is at least a start.
My legs moving like jelly, I begin to shift them forward. Wherever I was, I felt like a swift kick should do something.
…make that a slight tap.
That didn't do :red: honestly.

I instead began to use my arms. Using the little strength I had to try to force open whatever was in front of me.
‘Creak…’
The thing seems to open slightly. I feel my muscles ache in pain, trying to desperately use my little energy to break through this prison.
‘Hisssss…’
Instead, I am surprised and terrified, as the, “door”, begins to move up instead of open outward. I suddenly felt fear, I was leaning against that door.
Everything happened so fast, as I suddenly fell to the cold, wet floor. I began furiously hacking, and coughing in pain. My vision got blurry once again due to me crying in pain. It all hurt, my limbs, my head, my insides. I wanted to die, but I couldn't. I got this far, I have to find out where I was and why I was here.
Slowly, and carefully, I pull myself up, staggering like it is my first time walking. I nearly fall over, if it wasn't for me leaning against a cold wall. I rub my eyes, as irritated as they are, I need to see what I was doing.

As I wait, my vision clears further. I am in a large room, around ten feet in length, and what seems to be twelve in height. Either way, the scale is sort of impressive. I see human shaped, steel pods along the walls, one of them opened. Guess that's the whatever I was in.
The floor was covered in what looked like spilled water, except completely frozen, like a wave. Most of this stuff got on top of the other steel pods, obstructing whatever pipe system led into them. Whatever mine did, however, it didn't get covered.
There is water pooled everywhere, it's reflective property making the room shimmer like it was enchanted. I see moss growing along the cracked and falling apart walls. Vines and plants have broken through parts of the floor, uprooting its foundation. Pieces of the floor, walls, and glass are scattered everywhere, like someone smashed through everything. It was chaotic, yet peaceful. Wherever I was, it was being taken back by nature.

The bricks that made up the floor began to crack as I walked along them, revealing the dirt and the roots of plants below. As I move forward, I see a toolbox, with strange looking devices, scattered all over the now broken surface. Deeper puddles of water cover uprooted floors, almost as if the entire room itself is alive. It was mysteriously terrifying.
As I look toward the other end of the room, I instead see a single light and a computer terminal, mounted into the wall. Maybe it could tell me something about where I was.
Watching my step, I go around the puddles, not sure how deep they are, nor where they go. The bricks still cracking under every step I take, it feels eerie. Like I am the only one who has been here in thousands of years.

As I move toward the terminal, I notice most of its wires have been uprooted, and it's screen dark. I click on the power button, and it buzzes to life, and a bunch of unrecognizable white text flashes across the screen, moving downward. I sudden change causes instead a loading bar to appear, and an OS system is shown.
“CryOS 4.0.9 2164”
The screen flashes once again to bring up a prompt, and three options are shown.
“Cryopod status” ERROR 98, OVERRIDE DETECTED
“Management logs” ERROR 76, SCAN CARD REQUIRED
“Automated logs”
I try the other two, just to see what happens. Both come up with the same error messages I saw before. Only thing left to click was automated logs, so I did.
“Day: 16th”
“Month: February”
“Year: 15078”
“Manual release override activated, 200 years will pass till subjects are fully thawed, please wait patiently.”
What?

There will most likely be more coming soon, as well as that cover art. So be prepared!

Last edited:
The Future Will Be Better.

(Cover art soon!)

So, after remembering this concept back in the days when I thought I could easily make a video game, I instead decided to make it a story. The whole goal of this is to experiment with writing long tales, see how long I can keep it up, and see if anyone enjoys reading it.

Of course, support and criticism is always welcome, as I would like to improve in areas, and I believe direct feedback is the best way to do so.

In short, this will be a Sci-Fi adventure story I'll be working on periodically, and possibly frequently, if enough people like it and want more. I do enjoy writing stuff like this, it is actually incredibly enjoyable, and even though I am taking a short break from the forums, I felt like it is a good idea to still post art and express my creativity to the fullest.

Either way, enjoy! I really did work a few days on this, and I hope it is an enjoyable read.
I walk through the hallways of my school, looking the same after years of forced living. I look along the lockers, see some that are a badly damaged, some open, some with nothing inside. The floor shines after a new polish the night before. Classrooms line the walls like Christmas lights line a tree.

However much of a home our government believes this is, it will never be mine. It has been six years since I have seen the outside world. Six years since I have seen my parents, my own home, my backyard, and my pets. I remember my own room, I had a dresser full of clothes that were not uniform in color and design. A computer in which I could look up and find whatever info I need. A console which I would play video games on. It is all gone now, for they won't let us go back.

These repetitive hallways I have been in have broken me. The exact same sight over and over again, has caused me to break inside. I know I will never meet my parents again. All I do is get lost in thought, and wander these hallways looking for the hope I once had.

“Hey, Rich! You stuck in your little imaginary world again?! Loser!”
I glance behind me, toward the voice that broke me from my trance. The hallway is empty except for me.
“Where are you :red:? If you want to come get me, then do it.”

A long pause. I begin to walk away when I hear shuffling of sneakers behind me. I stare straight into the eyes of Jay Geno, or the school’s, “popular mascot".

Jay and I were friends back in the first two years. I helped him from losing his sanity. His parents meant everything to him. Losing them caused his spirit to break quicker than I would've thought. He attempted suicide numerous times only to fail. I tried to help him only to make things worse. So instead, he betrayed my trust and went on drugs and alcohol stolen from the outside world. Ever since then, these past four years have been him against me. He gathered cronies and other broken kids, and at one point attempted to kill me, only to fail due to a sudden betrayal of someone he trusted. They saved me, but then left. I don't even know his name.

“I thought you would've found it by now, Rich. To think you haven't seen what the school has been hiding from us this whole time. I know how much you want to get out of this hellhole, and I know a way.”
He was right. I always wanted an escape. This place was a prison, and nobody could get out. Not even the teachers themselves. The only thing we knew, is that the adults refused to tell. Every time someone would ask about what was going on on the outside, they would stiffen up and go stoic. I see it in their eyes. Fear. Fear of whatever is out there. And I want to go see.

“Like hell I would believe you, Jay. I don't care how big the secret is. You tried to kill me. Do you really think I would trust you again?!”
I saw the anger begin to light up in his eyes, as he seemed to go tense. He glared intensely at me, speaking in a low tone,
“…We do not mention what happened before Rich, you know that.”
“Oh, is that because you failed? Because you didn't get a chance to take out your problems on someone else? Because one of your people that you trusted instead came to their senses and saved me? Is that why you don't want to mention it?! Huh?!”

He looked down at the floor, the atmosphere changing entirely. I could feel the anger and tension in the air. I was in an anger filled haze. I did not notice the footsteps all around me.
“…Rich, you of all people know that you should not mess with me. Not after what you did. We are going to show you the secret, whether you like it or not.”
I saw him snap his fingers as he looked up, a devious grin on his face. Three bodies instantly tackled me to the ground. I tried to scream and struggle, but my limbs and mouth were held shut.
I saw the bastard walk over me as I was held down, “Come on Rich, you need to see what you have been missing.”
Another snap, and I felt a sharp pain in my head. I go dizzy, and begin to see stars, I feel myself being pulled out of reality, and into my sleep state of mind.
“Goodnight, old friend.”

“Ugh, *cough* *cough*, where…”
“Welcome back sleepyhead, I knew you would get up eventually.”

I began to regain my senses, the first thing I smell is his alcohol scented breath. I am disgusted, nearly vomiting.

“Take a look around, old friend. Not like you will be leaving anytime soon.”

My vision clears. I see… myself in a dark room. The lights are dim, nearly out. I feel the cold air brush up against my skin, giving me chills. I smell the scent of metal and rust. I hear the dripping of leaking water pipes all around me.
I look in front of me only to see a bright light from an open door. Shadows of 4 people, assuming those who took me here, standing by a wall, their faces unclear to me.

I try to speak, only to feel the sticky surface of tape on my lips. I begin to scream, only to come out as a muffled yell to my own ears.

“Rich, welcome to what they have been hiding from us. You always wanted to know why? The world is dying, friend. These are made to preserve human life. Cryopods. Unused.”
‘Cryopods?’ I think to myself, unsure of what this entails. I have never heard of such a device.
“Untested. To preserve our lives in case of disaster, you will be the first one to test to see if they work. After all, nobody likes you anyway, might as well get rid of you. You want to get out of here don't you? Well, why wait, let's see what happens if we freeze you in time.”
I hear a hydraulic door shut, sealing me inside a pod exactly my height. A single window let's me see the shadows, silhouettes in the darkness.

I try to scream, only to watch them press something on a wall. I see them shaking, presumably laughter, and I hear a cold rush of wind on my ears. My breathing gets heavy, I look through the window and try to move, try to escape, desperately wanting to live. I give a final kick with my limbs, and hear a bang. Not even a scratch.
I begin to slow down, my vision fading into nothing. It is very cold, very dark. I see frost form on the glass as my heart rate begins to slow. I stop struggling. I stop moving. As my vision fades to white, I hear one last thing,
“Night night, the future will be better.”

“Ugh”.
My eyes are all white. I can’t sense anything. It’s like looking at a blank wall. There is nothing.
‘Must be some kind of dream’, I think to myself.
I begin to slightly pick up something with my ears. I could not make it out, but I know the familiar feeling of a noise. A sound so familiar yet so, so strange…
‘Beep…Beep…Beep’
“An alarm?” I think to myself, as I begin to regain feeling in my limbs. Furiously cold. I knew the dangers of frostbite, but this was incomparable to any other kind of cold.

“B-b-b-r-r-rrr…”
My entire body shivers. Wherever I was, I wanted to get out. It felt like I just woke up from death itself.
I felt my hot breath against my own skin. My eyes still blurry and irritable, due to the extreme cold. Was I dead? Alive? I wasn't truly sure.
Control began to come back. Slowly but surely, I began to move my arms. I rubbed my irritated eyes, hoping to see something, so I knew where I was. Instead, I feel the rough surface of cold tape on my mouth. I tear it off, feeling pain and freezing tears began to fall out of my already irritated eyes.
The tears began to…melt? Out of my eyes? Quite a strange feeling, suddenly freezing cold water flowing down my face. It hurt. Way more than I thought it would.
I tried to wipe the tears away, but they kept on flowing, down my body and clothes… clothes? It's so cold it felt like I was nude. Last I remembered, I was in a sweatshirt, just how cold is this place?!
Finally, my vision was beginning to slowly come back. A familiar feeling washed over me… it has been a while, but my mind began to wake up. I was here before… before… something. Just thinking makes my mind scream in pain. It feels like a thousand needles all being put in at once.

I see… a glass window, slowly, my focus begins to expand. I see the frost on the glass, and the mark my hot breath left on it. I glanced to my left and right, both walls presumably made of steel and bolts, or at least, that I could make out. I can't see through the window, but it is at least a start.
My legs moving like jelly, I begin to shift them forward. Wherever I was, I felt like a swift kick should do something.
…make that a slight tap.
That didn't do :red: honestly.

I instead began to use my arms. Using the little strength I had to try to force open whatever was in front of me.
‘Creak…’
The thing seems to open slightly. I feel my muscles ache in pain, trying to desperately use my little energy to break through this prison.
‘Hisssss…’
Instead, I am surprised and terrified, as the, “door”, begins to move up instead of open outward. I suddenly felt fear, I was leaning against that door.
Everything happened so fast, as I suddenly fell to the cold, wet floor. I began furiously hacking, and coughing in pain. My vision got blurry once again due to me crying in pain. It all hurt, my limbs, my head, my insides. I wanted to die, but I couldn't. I got this far, I have to find out where I was and why I was here.
Slowly, and carefully, I pull myself up, staggering like it is my first time walking. I nearly fall over, if it wasn't for me leaning against a cold wall. I rub my eyes, as irritated as they are, I need to see what I was doing.

As I wait, my vision clears further. I am in a large room, around ten feet in length, and what seems to be twelve in height. Either way, the scale is sort of impressive. I see human shaped, steel pods along the walls, one of them opened. Guess that's the whatever I was in.
The floor was covered in what looked like spilled water, except completely frozen, like a wave. Most of this stuff got on top of the other steel pods, obstructing whatever pipe system led into them. Whatever mine did, however, it didn't get covered.
There is water pooled everywhere, it's reflective property making the room shimmer like it was enchanted. I see moss growing along the cracked and falling apart walls. Vines and plants have broken through parts of the floor, uprooting its foundation. Pieces of the floor, walls, and glass are scattered everywhere, like someone smashed through everything. It was chaotic, yet peaceful. Wherever I was, it was being taken back by nature.

The bricks that made up the floor began to crack as I walked along them, revealing the dirt and the roots of plants below. As I move forward, I see a toolbox, with strange looking devices, scattered all over the now broken surface. Deeper puddles of water cover uprooted floors, almost as if the entire room itself is alive. It was mysteriously terrifying.
As I look toward the other end of the room, I instead see a single light and a computer terminal, mounted into the wall. Maybe it could tell me something about where I was.
Watching my step, I go around the puddles, not sure how deep they are, nor where they go. The bricks still cracking under every step I take, it feels eerie. Like I am the only one who has been here in thousands of years.

As I move toward the terminal, I notice most of its wires have been uprooted, and it's screen dark. I click on the power button, and it buzzes to life, and a bunch of unrecognizable white text flashes across the screen, moving downward. I sudden change causes instead a loading bar to appear, and an OS system is shown.
“CryOS 4.0.9 2164”
The screen flashes once again to bring up a prompt, and three options are shown.
“Cryopod status” ERROR 98, OVERRIDE DETECTED
“Management logs” ERROR 76, SCAN CARD REQUIRED
“Automated logs”
I try the other two, just to see what happens. Both come up with the same error messages I saw before. Only thing left to click was automated logs, so I did.
“Day: 16th”
“Month: February”
“Year: 15078”
“Manual release override activated, 200 years will pass till subjects are fully thawed, please wait patiently.”
What.

There will most likely be more coming soon, as well as that cover art. So be prepared!
I believe that ending is a "?" not a ".".

Think ya got too used to talking casually. xP

Maybe just a little bit, lol.
I am working on the next bit of it as we speak, though it is going to go into tomorrow, maybe even the next day. There is a ton of backstory planned as well, me and my friends when we thought of this as a game, had a huge plot that I plan on using fully.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom