Game Mechanics The game saving your location.

I just like to discuss stuff. Whether or not it happens is none of my concern. Would it be a nice QoL addition? Well, yeah. Will it happen? Maybe not.

As things are getting a bit touchy, a quick reminder to everyone here - both the suggestion author and the members replying to the suggestion - to keep the discussion civil and free from getting personal. There is a way to disagree politely and respecting others’ opinions (even if you don’t agree with them). If you find yourself unable to politely disagree, I invite you to move on to a different thread.

This debate isn't going to accomplish anything. You need to convince the devs if you want this to happen, and no one has done that in the 8 years Terraria has been a thing.

So you're saying devs have never listened to players and the whole suggestions forum is a waste of space and player effort?

So you're saying devs have never listened to players and the whole suggestions forum is a waste of space and player effort?
I don't think that is what he's saying. Maybe he could have said what he means better, though.

The developers ARE the final decision makers concerning game content and features, and this particular suggestion has been made in some form before. They are aware of this, and have made the decision (up to this point) to keep the player spawn mechanics as they are. They aren't obligated to implement suggestions from the community, though they occasionally do.

The modding community can take these ideas and implement them, and they often do.

Almost every reply against this has been "we don't need this" rather than "this is a bad suggestion" and these two things are not the same. For example, "you can just leave your system on", my ability or lack of ability to leave my system on does not change the merits and demerits of the game saving your location. Every time someone says this nonsense, they are arguing in a intellectually dishonest way, whether accidentally or intentionally, please stop.

But let's say someone could give a concrete reason this suggestion was a bad suggestion in some way, its clear at least some people also see merits to this suggestion. So the solution is simple, make it optional, that way people can play the way they want. Making it optional perfectly solves any problems with this suggestion, even as no real problems have been pointed out (with minor exception but those were refuted)

And it seems clear to me that his would be easy to program. So if everyone could play the game the way they want with no one sacrificing anything, and it's easy to program, what are devs waiting for?!? Please see reason! And modding community, that's messy, better to have it built into the game, then every single mod doesn't need it added in. But OK, would someone please make such a mode? But there is another reason it can't be a mod, because then it won't be available to console gamers, since mods aren't available to console gamers.

Last edited:
Nah i'd like to see it as it is because you can teleport to home without magic mirror or potions to home.
Very useful trick, once i played on PSVita i got magic mirror after i entered hardmode...

Oh to be clear, when I say optional which way the game reloads save, I mean option on either the character or the world. You choose to load at save point or at spawn point when making a character or making a world and then your stuck with that. This avoids additional exploitation, though in a single player game, what difference does exploiting the game really make.

Almost every reply against this has been "we don't need this" rather than "this is a bad suggestion" and these two things are not the same. For example, "you can just leave your system on", my ability or lack of ability to leave my system on does not change the merits and demerits of the game saving your location. Every time someone says this nonsense, they are arguing in a intellectually dishonest way, whether accidentally or intentionally, please stop.

But let's say someone could give a concrete reason this suggestion was a bad suggestion in some way, its clear at least some people also see merits to this suggestion. So the solution is simple, make it optional, that way people can play the way they want. Making it optional perfectly solves any problems with this suggestion, even as no real problems have been pointed out (with minor exception but those were refuted)

And it seems clear to me that his would be easy to program. So if everyone could play the game the way they want with no one sacrificing anything, and it's easy to program, what are devs waiting for?!? Please see reason! And modding community, that's messy, better to have it built into the game, then every single mod doesn't need it added in. But OK, would someone please make such a mode? But there is another reason it can't be a mod, because then it won't be available to console gamers, since mods aren't available to console gamers.
Jesus Christ, man. First paragraph, "We don't need this" is actually saying this is a bad suggestion, it's just more specific. We then give examples as to WHY we don't need it. The "You can just leave your system on" thing is a way to fix your problem, without a new update. If turning on pause mode in the options is too much of a hassle for you, why the hell are you playing a game where simple progression can take hours? And it does change the merits or demerits, because it's a :red:ing solution to the problem! We are not arguing in an "Intellectually dishonest way", we are giving you solutions that you are too closed-minded to accept because you have to be right in your world or you throw a huge fit that makes you look like a fool, not the other people you are talking about. You very well may not be a fool, and you quite possibly are very smart, but you have to be willing to accept ideas.

For your second paragraph, we have been giving concrete reasons, you just aren't willing to accept them. There are merits to your suggestion, but there isn't enough reason to add them because of the solutions already put in place by the devs. There HAVE been real problems pointed out, but you just automatically threw them out because they were "Wrong", while we are losing all patience with you because you can't see the glaring flaws just because it's your work. If you're doing this on purpose, and this is how you win arguments, I really hope you find a new way soon.

Now for paragraph three, it wouldn't be :red:ing easy to program! They would have to completely change how it works! We are seeing reason, you're just too closed minded to see anything different from your reason. The modding community, believe it or not, is actually quite skilled (most of the time), and the console community can just use the methods already in the game.

@Meta Knight_but_Terraria, please tone it down. You're getting too worked up over this, and you're approaching personal attack territory.

"We don't need this" is NOT constructive criticism. If you simply don't like the suggestion, please move on to something else.

That advice goes for everyone, everywhere in these Suggestion sections.

Sounds like it'd be two variable pairs in a list and saved with the character data: [Map Name], [x,y,]. The only problem I could see is in multiplayer maps where another player could see where you logged out and then flood the spot with lava, or cover it with traps, or simply block it up. In the case of blocking you'd just have to be respawned at your bed, but the lava and trapping scenario couldn't really be handled.
Otherwise, in single player mode there probably isn't much reason to NOT do this other than it being low priority in the queue of changes to be made. I still support out of the box thinking of ways to improve the game.

"We don't need this" is actually saying this is a bad suggestion,

No, it's not. First, nothing is "needed" in the game. If there were no slime enemies in the game, instead everywhere slimes would spawn some other enemy would spawn instead. and I suggested that we add some slime enemies you could give me a "solution" about how to defeat zombies or whatever enemy is spawning. But that really doesn't argue against adding slime enemies to the game.

Adding slimes would be more complicated than this suggestion.

And no, leaving our system running is not necessarily a good idea or even a option, despite it's relative irrelevance to the suggestion I have already responded to this response.

because of the solutions already put in place by the devs.

The devs "put in the solution" of us leaving our systems on. Hail to the devs. Still this is a good suggestion that the game save our location.
t wouldn't be :red:ing easy to program! They would have to completely change how it works!

Yes, the game would have to completely record the X Y Z coordinates and respawn the player there in the same way it remembers the X Y Z coordinates of placed blocks and respawns those there. Wait, the game already does this, we just need to extend it to players. .. Wait, the game already does this with spawn points with beds and stuff, already does this players, we just need to add another layer to what's already there. So what's the issue that makes you so sure this will be complicated to program again?

The only problem I could see is in multiplayer maps where another player could see where you logged out and then flood the spot with lava, or cover it with traps, or simply block it up. In the case of blocking you'd just have to be respawned at your bed, but the lava and trapping scenario couldn't really be handled.

Good point. But there are solutions to such griefing issues. First as a set option added to the map or player, we can say map. This way if you are making a open world with possible griefers joining, rather than a closed world with only friends, the old system can be used. The map settings can be changed at the world selection screen if it becomes an issue, this would still avoid any exploiting either single player or multiplayer since you have to shut things down to do it. The change would apply to any future savings/exits.

Also as I am pretty sure I mentioned before, we could have the game check the area around the save location. If the ground below the player has changed or whatever check perimeters would be decided, the game would default to the spawn location which would be no different than without it for that particular time. (which again the area around the spawn point can also be altered to be dangerous, and beds indicate spawn points where as saved locations have no indicators for the purpose of intentional griefing)

Last edited:
You know what? I just came back here to apologize for being too rude in my post, because I truly believe that I was. So, here's what I'm going to do. I'm going to apologize and @ droid to come and explain this away. Got it? Good. I am legitimately sorry for being rude there, I do seriously think that this is a nice suggestion, I just don't believe it's necessary. I do believe that you should open your mind to solutions to this problem as well, but I also think that Droid and I should keep our minds more open also. I don't think that cursing was necessary, and it did come off as rude. I also think that you were being quite rude as well, so can the three of us just try and keep it civil from now on? @Droid15.24.3, since Tunnel King seems to have most of his attention on me, how about you explain this? I don't think I can without getting warning points.

Meta, I make no statements about rudness other than my covering something and someone acting like I didn't. Let's say neither of us have been rude, I know I haven't been rude. I've been arguing my case. Having my own opinions and arguing for those opinions is not the definition of rude in my dictionary, I don't know about yours.

So Meta, if we could get wave a magic coding wand and get my suggestion added to the game, you'd be fine with that? Your entire issue is based on your presumptions of coding difficulty and how that might slow down adding something else to the game?

So you like my idea, just like other ideas better and if its a competition for dev programming time...?

Last edited:
First off, you have been rude. Let me find some quotes.
but that's some stinky thinking

Weird flawed thinking.

*eye roll*

No, wrong, already replied to.

For most of the "No, wrong" posts, you didn't give very good examples and just kind of expected us to agree without any reasoning. I didn't list all of them.

Second paragraph, yes, I would be fine with it being added in, but it most likely won't be added, just for the fact that these problems have solutions. They aren't superior solutions, but they're solutions none the less.

you didn't give very good examples and just kind of expected us to agree without any reasoning.

I have gotten into the weeds about any number of aspects of replies here. If I simply say it's weird flawed thinking, maybe it's weird flawed thinking. If someone responds their against this suggestion because pink elephants, there is no way for me to refute that kind of nonsense. It's impossible to refute. And if I say I already responded to something, maybe that's because I did. No sense in filling the thread with pages of me repeating myself like a broken record because others don't actually care what I got to say in the first place and are just giving half assed replies where it doesn't matter what I say because they aren't listening in the first place.

I'm sure I've said most of this before, but I will do it once more about pausing and leaving on.

• Leaving a system that you can turn off, for some kind of semi save wastes electricity unnecessarily. You might not care about the environmental and cost aspect of that, but others do.
  • Leaving a system on unnecessarily represents more wear on it meaning sooner that that system will simply break down and become unusable or require replacement parts, which is both a cost and environmental issue as well as a hassle issue if you can't play your games and have to get a system in for repairs and get it back etc.
  • In a multiplayer game, you can not pause the game.
  • There are lots of other potential reasons one can not leave a system on, where that is not a option. I could list them, or you could just think a little bit and realize that they exist. You might have none of these barriers but everyone is not you. Someone other than me mentioned one example where they can't just leave the game running earlier in the thread.

There, this argument of just pause the game and leave the system running has been thoroughly debunked. Please do not mention this again.

I also like to point out that it is a bit disingenuous to treat a suggestion as a personal problem. I'm not seeking help on how to clear a game stage, I'm suggesting something that will make the game more fun to play/waste less player time. It's not something to "solve", it's a suggestion to consider! Sure, the suggestion is to fix an issue with the game I see. But to treat it like you can "solve" that with words is basically telling me I'm full of poop. I wouldn't be posting this suggestion if pausing the game was just as good. Do you really think I am such a idiot that I can't think of pausing the game? By responding with such a thing as "you can pause the game" and saying "wallah! "problem" solved!", you are implying I am an idiot. You further imply I'm a idiot by repeating this suggestion of leaving the system on like I didn't get it the first time you said it, like I didn't understand pausing the game even before the first time you said it. Simply because I didn't drop my suggestion because you used these magic words, you continue to harp on it like I'm an idiot.

That goes for all other "alternatives" spending the time messing with beds or spending the time running the distance with a smaller world and stuff, if I thought those were just as good, then I wouldn't have posted the suggestion in the first place.

And to repeat, this issue is a game/deal breaker to me. Obviously not to you. And probably not even to those who like my suggestion, if it was they wouldn't likely be here on the forum in the first place. But for me, without the ability to save my location, this game isn't worth playing/buying, period. Considering the amount of personal value I place on this specific suggestion, just perhaps you could please treat it a little more seriously.

Last edited:
It's not something to "solve", it's a suggestion to consider!
This is how EVERY suggestion on these forums should be viewed, in my opinion.

- general comment about suggestions

If you're "arguing" for or against a particular suggestion to the point of getting angry or frustrated - either with the suggester or the replies - then you're doing it wrong. This is supposed to be fun and entertaining, not a serious competition to get Re-Logic to change the game in a particular way.

Only Re-Logic are the determiners of whether Terraria "needs" a change. They have their vision of what they want their game to be, and even if they see merit in a suggestion, they are going to do it the way they think best. No member of this forum is the gate-keeper of what Terraria needs or doesn't need.

I see merits in this suggestion, and I also feel that it's unlikely to be implemented. That doesn't make it a bad/stupid suggestion at all.

But Tunnel, you're missing a key point/distinction.

There is a difference between-
Suggesting alternative ways of doing the suggestion.
and
Suggesting things already in the game that someone already knows of, and you know they already know of.

There is a difference between-
Brainstorming with someone
and
Treating them like they are coming here with a game strategy issue but treating it like a suggestion because they are too dumb and/or selfish to know of/care about the difference.(people treating me like that, if I wasn't clear enough in my grammar structure)

There is a difference between saying-
"Hey this could possibly be used by griefers in multiplayer, how do you purpose we deal with that?"
and
"Just make the world smaller and spend time running and/or messing with making beds and houses" or "You know, you could just pause and leave your system on, why can't an idiot like you realize and accept such a simple "solution" "

There is a difference between saying something once and saying it many times while ignoring the other sides responses

And to repeat, this issue is a game/deal breaker to me. For me, without the ability to save my location, this game isn't worth playing/buying, period.
So yeah, I'm invested in a good conversation on this that might help convince the devs and/or moders (but again, no mod options on console, there really should be though)

Saying "change the game the way I say or I quit playing" is a pretty empty threat, to be honest. It's not "your" game to make such demands, and (presumably) the devs already have your money.

Millions of copies sold, 25K active on Steam at any given time for 8 years with the current save system, one of the highest rated games ever on Steam - says something counter to "this game isn't worth playing/buying". If that's your individual viewpoint nonetheless, then I really have nothing to say.

Again - modders can take suggestions and implement them. For all I know, someone already has implemented something like this suggestion, have you looked at that?

Okay, let me try again. I apologized (while not sorry for everything), but you don't see how I'm trying to be polite and civil, trying to fix the conversation. We never called you an idiot, I even said that you have a nice suggestion, but there are ways of fixing it. We are not just saying random things, we are suggesting that maybe the problem you so obviously have has some solutions that don't require the devs to do anything. If you say that we have "Weird, flawed thinking" and don't give good reasons, but think that just because you said it means that it's now final, suggests that you have the weird, flawed thinking here. Leaving your system on for an hour or two won't cause detrimental damage to it. It also won't do anything more to the environment than if you were playing it. If you need to leave for a whole day, just make your base near the spawn point and build a bed (it might take a few minutes to build a little shelter), and when you come back, you can finish what you were doing, break the bed, and use a Magic Mirror/Recall Potion. We have read your posts. I also like how you said that you shouldn't treat this as a personal problem, because... eh... a bit hypocritical. Look, I'm sorry for being rude earlier, but you can accept that you were being rude also and possibly apologize back. Also, for the multiplayer thing, bed. And if they can't leave the game on, bed. The devs have implemented ways to resolve your problem, you should use them.

Back
Top Bottom