Biomes & Nature The Ghost Town - An Underground Desert Minibiome

O_Nothing

Skeletron Prime
gt-title.png

Now let’s gather ‘round the campfire, to sing ‘bout days long lost: a desert minibiome of dead cowboys and outlaws.

A Ghost Town is a wild-west themed minibiome found in the underground desert. They can get quite spacious (similarly to Granite Cave minibiomes), so they only spawn once or twice per underground desert in a small world.

ghostownlayout.png

So here’s a little rough layout of how this minibiome would look like. It’s a canyon-like structure with little ruined shacks scattered about. Ropes can be found hanging from overhangs like vines. It spawns with a special background tile to separate it from the rest of the underground desert.

index.php
index.php

Ironwood
Sprites by @Muninn
Similarly to Dynasty Wood, Ironwood doesn’t have a tree variant. This material makes up all of the shacks and buildings in the biome. It can be used to make western-themed furniture.

Sawdust
Affected by gravity, similar to silt. Sawdust can be found in piles of various sizes around the biome.

Dusty Chest
1-2 of these spawn per biome. They typically spawn with golden chest loot, typically with 1-2 biome themed items added in.

Prickly Pear
A small, ball-shaped cactus plant thing. Used in potions.

index.php

Auroch Skull
Sprite by @Muninn
A large, decorative bovine skull. Typically found lying about in the sand.

Gallows
A decorative, wooden execution device. Craftable at a Sawmill.

Bone Rattler
50 health
28 damage
4 defense
Drops: Bone Whip (2%)

A skeletal rattlesnake. When idle, they coil up and stay still, making them pretty hard to spot unless you’re right next to it. They wait until the player gets reeeeaaal close before attacking, utilizing a watered-down version of the Tortoise leap attack. Inflicts the Poisoned debuff.

Coyote
70 health
18 damage
6 defense
Drops:

A mangy-looking coyote. Utilizes the Unicorn AI.

Hangman
90 health
14 damage (melee)
14 defense
Drops: Ironwood (1-4), Dead Man's Knot (1%), Executioner Hood (2%)

Suggested by @Kefke
A large, slow-moving zombie enemy. Attacks by "throwing" out noose-like projectiles which latch onto the player like a grappling hook. While latched, they inflict the suffocation debuff. The nooses can be removed by moving out of the Hangman's range, or sufficiently damaging the Hangman himself.

Undead Deputy
100 health
26 damage
10 defense
Drops: Cowboy Outfit Piece (2%)

An undead, skeletal cowboy. Utilizes the Fighter AI.

HARDMODE

Skull Bull
500 health
55 damage
28 defense
Drops: Mad Cow Medallion (1.67%), Brass Knuckle (1%)

A large bull with a skull for a head. Attacks using charge attacks. Basically, it stands still and runs in place for a few seconds before rushing forward. If it hits any tile at a high enough speed, a small shockwave is produced that damages and knocks back nearby players.

Undead Outlaw
200 health
48 damage
26 defense
Drops: Taurus Magnum (1%), Cowboy Outfit Piece (2%)

Similar to the Undead Deputy, but with more tricks up its sleeve. Randomly switches between Fighter and Unicorn AI. Every once in a while, it fires a volley of 2-3 wall-bouncing bullets at the player.

AFTER 1 MECH BOSS IS DEFEATED

Bounty Hunter
1200 health
55 damage
28 defense
Drops: Six-Shooter (25%), Propulsion Blaster (25%)

He’s got a bullet with your name on it. A mysterious headhunter from the future, the Bounty Hunter utilizes a variety of futuristic equipment, making it somewhat of a miniboss. He’s more mobile than your typical mob, jumping and flying around with his rocket boots in a similar fashion to the Goblin Summoner.

He has the following attacks:

A brief barrage of gunfire targeted towards the player. The bullets are quite accurate, but the firing angle doesn’t change to track the player.

A singular thrown “Bouncing Betty” mine that bounces around like Plantera’s spiked balls. After a few seconds, it explodes into a cross-shaped area around it, Bomberman style.

Cowboy Outfit
It’s too bad that it’s just used for vanity, so just imagine that it drops from Ghost Town enemies rather than being sold by the Clothier.

Cowboy Hat
3 defense
5% increased ranged damage

Cowboy Jacket
4 defense
10% increased projectile velocity

Cowboy Pants
3 defense
5% increased ranged critical strike chance

Set Bonus: 10% chance to not consume ammo

Pitchfork
Found in Dusty Chests
12 damage
Average knockback
Average speed

A spear-type weapon.

Lasso
Found in Dusty Chests

A sort of grappling hook for monsters, as you might expect. Does not work on bosses. Any enemy with a KB resist of <50% will be pulled towards the player, while enemies with a KB resist of >50% will pull the player towards them. Use the scroll wheel to pull.

Spring Boots
Found in Dusty Chests

Doubles the player’s jump height.

Bone Whip
23 damage
Weak knockback
Very fast

A flail-type weapon, similar to the Chain Knife. Cannot auto-fire.

Dead Man's Knot
20 tile reach

A noose-shaped grappling hook.

Executioner's Hood
Vanity

Mad Cow Medallion
Grants the player increased speed and defense at under 25% health.

Brass Knuckle
60 damage
Strong knockback
Very fast speed

Yet another low-ranged high speed melee weapon. Enemies hit by the Brass Knuckle create damaging shockwaves that knock back surrounding enemies.

Taurus Magnum
34 damage
Very weak knockback
Fast speed

A revolver-type weapon that can be “charged” by holding down the mouse button. Upon being released, the gun will fire a burst of bullets, the number of which is determined by how long the mouse button was held (up to eight bullets).

Six-Shooter
28 damage
Weak knockback
Very fast speed

A futuristic revolver. It behaves similarly to the Laser Machinegun, spinning and slowly building up speed.

Propulsion Blaster
45 damage
Strong knockback
Average speed

Fires grenades. Unlike its post-Plantera counterpart, it uses actual grenades as ammo. Has a notable “recoil” that flings the player in the opposite direction, making it useful for thrusting the player out of tough situations.

Cactus Juice
“It’s the quenchiest!”
Crafted from 1 Prickly Pear and 1 Bottled Water

Grants the player the Intoxicated debuff, which will greatly increase the player’s damage and defense, though at the cost that the screen will randomly flip and the controls will randomly invert.

Accuracy Potion
Crafted from 1 Blinkroot, 1 Daybloom, and 1 Prickly Pear

Slightly curves the trajectory of fired bullets towards enemies, like a watered-down version of Chlorophyte Bullets.

Gecko
A little lizard critter thing. Can be caught and put in a terrarium.

Last edited:
I find it hilarious that Prickly Pear gets censored :D

Anyway, I like this idea. The desert could use some more unique loot, and more mini-biomes are always cool. Support!

I always wanted some kind of western-themed biome, invasion etc. in Terraria. I think it would fit right into the game if it was added today. So I Support. (Your 2nd Biome suggestion is also really good, I especially like those Layout pictures because people rarely add them to their Biome threads and because they look awesome. Keep up the good work!)

I'd like to see more mini-biomes, and this seems like a good fit for the Desert. Perhaps tumbleweeds could also natively spawn there, even when there isn't a sandstorm.

Ironwood should be craftable or otherwise available in infinite amounts.
For example, there could be an enemy based around gallows that drops it.

The Hangman, a big, slow zombie that shoots lasso projectiles that apply the Suffocation debuff rather than direct damage. Drops ironwood and rope coils. Small chance to drop an Executioner's Hood vanity item.

Nice of you to bring that up! There are also other materials that are limited, but yes, this is a "prospect" of importance. Maybe you can grow ironwood via dirt in a desert biome?

The Hangman, a big, slow zombie that shoots lasso projectiles that apply the Suffocation debuff rather than direct damage. Drops ironwood and rope coils. Small chance to drop an Executioner's Hood vanity item.

I actually really like this idea! I'll see if I can add it to the OP.

Support ! It is so good since The Dessert right now isn't full enough. Currently I'm amking a mod and I want to borrow or get the concept (not everything) if you will not mind. We'll give you credit promise. :)

How about a post plantera enemy called the boneman who has 5000 health and has a chance to drop the bone bow (upgrade of marrow) which has 70 damage and shoots a bone instead of an arrow. The bones would be affected more by gravity but could ricochet off blocks 2 times.
The actual enemy would have a special A.I where it would speed up rate of fire from 1 arrow every 3 seconds to a machine gun rate of fire. The faster it shoots, the lower damage gets.
It would also drop a trombone, which plays a c flat as a novelty item.
It could also drop a bonemerang, which would be similar to lights disc but more damage.
There could be a magic weapon but I cant think of any ideas. Also, the minion weapon would be a skeleton summon. (50 damage,throws bones)
Finally, it would add the bow scope , which adds 10% more critiacal chane. It would make the magic scope.

Back
Top Bottom