NPCs & Enemies The Goblin Army: Making them worth the fight.

Grand Paladin Tyrux

Empress of Light
The Goblin Army. Hardly a challenging event, even without armor you could go the entire invasion without taking a single point of damage using a Vilethorn. And when do you even ever repeat it, unless you missed a Harpoon the first go or need to make some gold? This thread will aim to make the Goblin Army a little more worthwhile. As always, sprites are welcome!

DISCLAIMER: I will NOT be providing stats for enemies or items. I feel that balancing should be left to the devs, but if anyone would like to have a go at it feel free too, and I might add it to the main post.

MOBS

Goblin Beastmaster
These Goblins are well trained in the art of commanding otherwise feral creatures, and are certainly a force to be reckoned with

This Goblin is a Summoner. It would appear as a green goblin wearing fairly simple leathery armor, and would hold a wooden horn. Every few seconds it summons a dark green slime, smaller then a Mother Slime but not too small. It tries to keep its distance, but will attack with a basic melee attack if necessary.

DROPS:

Goblin Battlehorn (1% drop rate)
Spiky Balls (49.75% drop rate)
Goblin Beastmaster Banner (Every 50 kills)
Harpoon (0.5% drop rate)

BOSS - Goblin Warlord
The general of the Goblin Army, he demands respect and is a skilled warrior.

Equipped in Gold Armor, this Goblin spawns at the end of the invasion. Once killed, the Goblin Army is defeated, and the remaining Goblins will attempt to flee. He appears as a dark green Goblin, riding a green slime with a red flag and a goblin rune marking, implanted in the back of the slime. During his first stage he uses the Slime AI and can use his warhorn to summon 3 Goblin Warriors, but when the slime is killed he takes on the Fighter AI and wields a dark grey broadsword.
NOTE: The 4 different class weapons are a confirmed drop, you get one of the four.

Drops:

Goblin Battlehorn (25% drop rate)
Chaos Staff (25% drop rate)
Goblin Broadsword (25% drop rate)
Goblin Bow (25% drop rate)
Steel Armor (1% drop rate)
Harpoon (0.5% drop rate)
Goblin Warlord Trophy (10% drop rate)

ITEMS

Steel Armor
Goblin_Warrior.png

1% drop rate from Goblin Warriors and Goblin Warlord. Higher defense then Shadow/Crimson armor, but no fancy set bonus.

Goblin Broadsword

A 1% drop rate from Goblin Warriors, and a 25% drop rate from the Goblin Warlord. Slightly more damage then the Light's Bane/Blood Butcherer, but a slower speed.

Goblin Bow

A 1% drop rate from Goblin Archers and a 25% drop rate from the Goblin Warlord. Fires Steel Arrows, which pierce up to 3 enemies and deal increased damage each time it pierces, but speed and velocity decreases faster.

Chaos Staff

A 1% drop rate from Goblin Sorcerers and a 25% drop rate from the Goblin Warlord. Fires a Chaos Ball like the Goblin Sorcerer, but it doesn't go through blocks.

Goblin Battlehorn

A 1% drop rate from Goblin Beastmasters and a 25% drop rate from the Goblin Warlord. Summons a Goblin Peasant riding a tiny green slime, follows the Slime AI.

Thieves Dagger

A 0.5% drop rate from Goblin Thieves, acts like a shortsword/Vampire Knives hybrid. Can be used close range, but when it can't hit an enemy it is thrown forward like the knives, however it is a singular dagger. Unlike a normal shortsword its very fast, and has a chance to inflict the Bleeding or Poisoned debuff (Which would you prefer?)

Last edited:
Beastmaster:
A) *Distance, not difference. Unless you're telling us that he's a hipster.
B) Honestly don't think slimes fit in very well.

Warlord:
Again with the slimes.

For the Goblin items: Drop the "Standard-Issue" from their names. It makes them sound bland. Take the Chaos Staff off of the Warlord's drop table, if you're going to have the bow on there then allow him to shoot arrows while mounted.

On the dagger: I seriously have troubles with the usefulness of this. I assume by "shortsword" you mean "one direction stab"... but there's generally a reason the first order of business for most players is to make a wooden broadsword... I probably wouldn't use it (Remember, this is around Shadow/Crimson Tier, so at this point I should have the Light's Bane or Blood Lust Cluster) (if you're progressing normally at least, technically it is possible to skip the EoC but it should eventually find you...) because it would make a lot more sense to use a normal sword and daggers when I need to. (Or a gun. Shadow tier, remember?)

Do note, that the Goblin Army is basically after killing EoW, and that this is mid-PHM, it's hard enough for a lot of people when they firstly take on the army, doing this upsets the balance, and if you're unprepared, it's going go on forever.
Technically no. It doesn't require you killing the EoW (or BoC), it requires you to break a shadow/crimson orb. I know the first reason I did that was because I wanted the Tinkerer...

Technically no. It doesn't require you killing the EoW (or BoC), it requires you to break a shadow/crimson orb. I know the first reason I did that was because I wanted the Tinkerer...
But mainly, due to it's spawn rate, you can likely kill the EoW/BoC before the Goblin Army spawns. But the point I was trying to get across, if this were to be added, you would need better post-EoW weapons to kill the army because of the new additions in a matter of 20~ minutes, but without post-EoW weapons, this new army may take much longer.

But mainly, due to it's spawn rate, you can likely kill the EoW/BoC before the Goblin Army spawns. But the point I was trying to get across, if this were to be added, you would need better post-EoW weapons to kill the army because of the new additions in a matter of 20~ minutes, but without post-EoW weapons, this new army may take much longer.
True, or if you're me, you just dig lava pits around your house. Very efficient.

Hey, Hero, think we can make it so the warlord only spawns after the second invasion?

Beastmaster:
A) *Distance, not difference. Unless you're telling us that he's a hipster.
B) Honestly don't think slimes fit in very well.

Warlord:
Again with the slimes.

For the Goblin items: Drop the "Standard-Issue" from their names. It makes them sound bland. Take the Chaos Staff off of the Warlord's drop table, if you're going to have the bow on there then allow him to shoot arrows while mounted.

On the dagger: I seriously have troubles with the usefulness of this. I assume by "shortsword" you mean "one direction stab"... but there's generally a reason the first order of business for most players is to make a wooden broadsword... I probably wouldn't use it (Remember, this is around Shadow/Crimson Tier, so at this point I should have the Light's Bane or Blood Lust Cluster) (if you're progressing normally at least, technically it is possible to skip the EoC but it should eventually find you...) because it would make a lot more sense to use a normal sword and daggers when I need to. (Or a gun. Shadow tier, remember?)

Any suggestions about the slimes? I personally think they fit, at least with the Warlord, but I'd like to hear your ideas on the matter.

I definitely agree with the Goblin items, will do. I put all four items on the Warlord's table because its meant to be a guaranteed drop, you get one of those four, in case RNG didn't like you throughout the battle.

Do note, that the Goblin Army is basically after killing EoW, and that this is mid-PHM, it's hard enough for a lot of people when they firstly take on the army, doing this upsets the balance, and if you're unprepared, it's going go on forever.

If you have a real problem with the army, just dig trap pits. I almost always have shadow/crimson gear, maybe even some dungeon items when I fight my first invasion, they aren't too much of a challenge.

True, or if you're me, you just dig lava pits around your house. Very efficient.

Hey, Hero, think we can make it so the warlord only spawns after the second invasion?

Sure, will do.

No support. Why? Well, let me ask you a rhetorical question here.

Are we talking from a "first time ever fighting it" or "fought it so many times I can get through it without getting hit" point of view? Yes, they're different, and that's exactly why things shouldn't get changed on the grounds of "it's too easy now."

First time I fought Plantera it murdered my sorry :red: like I was on copper armor. Nowadays I can murderstomp it even in its "enraged" mode. Does this mean Plantera should be made more difficult? No, that would just make it harder for those who never fought it.

So, in short, that's why "no support."

No support. Why? Well, let me ask you a rhetorical question here.

Are we talking from a "first time ever fighting it" or "fought it so many times I can get through it without getting hit" point of view? Yes, they're different, and that's exactly why things shouldn't get changed on the grounds of "it's too easy now."

First time I fought Plantera it murdered my sorry :red: like I was on copper armor. Nowadays I can murderstomp it even in its "enraged" mode. Does this mean Plantera should be made more difficult? No, that would just make it harder for those who never fought it.

So, in short, that's why "no support."

This thread isn't aiming so much as to making it harder as making it worth your time. The only think it really does to help you is let you get the Tinkerer, and its pretty easy. Compared to the Pirate Invasion, which gives you an NPC alongside some very useful loot, a vanity set, an entire set of furniture, and includes a miniboss. Also compared to your example, Plantera. The Goblin army is either a challenge or a grind, and unlike Plantera, the grind isn't worth it.

The goblin invasion gives a lot of loot. Usefulness, mind you, is 100% subjective.

I still don't see a need to make things harder for those who can't waltz around the event thanks to either repetition or pre-gained skills, things not everyone will have - and this game's not a niche game.

The goblin invasion gives a lot of loot. Usefulness, mind you, is 100% subjective.

I still don't see a need to make things harder for those who can't waltz around the event thanks to either repetition or pre-gained skills, things not everyone will have - and this game's not a niche game.
6 items (counting all 4 banners).

Compare that to the Pirate Invasion, which can completely destroy you your first day of Hardmode, and drops 27 different items (11 without the furniture). One new enemy and a miniboss would hardly make it too much harder if you were already having trouble with it. And like I said, the main focus is to give repeating the invasion a usefulness beyond a new NPC.

This is probably just me, but every time I face a goblin army, even with full molten armor, 3-5 of my NPCs die. Maybe it's my house, or that Goblins are powerful. (Or I suck at Terraria :sigh:)

The Goblin Army may not drop much loot but it does "drop" possibly the most valuable NPC in the game :)

There's just no point the second time around, so maybe your suggestion would better fit a scaling goblin invasion - like a Hardmode version?

Well, now that I think about it, In Hardmode, Goblin armies would be easy so A hardmode version would work well.
this is the idea that i thought this tread was when i JUST ENCOUNTER IT NOW
first non PC goblin invasions screwwwwwwed me :red: over i was like with lead armor the entire time after just breaking 2 shadow orbs to get stuff early
Note i did PC first and soled it the entire game... kinda cheated right after plantera

I've said it a million times but for anyone having trouble with the Goblin Army (almost everyone in this thread) all you have to do is kill one or two then use the Spiky Balls they drop against them. The balls devastate them, making the event a cakewalk in wood armour.

I don't see the point of this miniboss if all he drops is stuff his minions drop. That's like making King Slime's drops be capable of being dropped by all slimes, or have frost cores drop by all ice biome enemies. Kinda takes away the charm.

Back
Top Bottom