NPCs & Enemies The Guide - More Quotes!

TimeyMarey007

Skeletron Prime
Pretty much after you activate Hardmode, the Guide just has only two stuff to say if you click Help:
  • "Make sure to smash any [demon/crimson] altar you can find. Something good is bound to happen if you do!"
  • "Souls can sometimes be gathered from fallen creatures in places of extreme light or dark."
And these are really outdated for its time right now. When a major update releases, I usually go to the Guide if he has new Help stuff. No, nothing new.
He may seem useless, but I really think he needs even more quotes.

So this is what I suggest The Guide should say if you click Help. Before and after Hardmode.
I didn't completely come up with this idea, as I collaborated with @SwankyFlea and therefore, he gave me most of the ideas for these, some that I changed a bit.

Of course, they will be slowly removed or replaced with other quotes when you have progressed through enough.

Starting with here... well, regular quotes, not help:
  • "I'm sorry for what I did last night, I thought that zombie was [any NPC name]." (If the player has died recently, like within 24 minutes of last death)
  • "I heard you burned the last guide in lava. But you wouldn't do that to me, right?" (Hardmode only)
  • "Hey, I don't think it's a good time to socialize with anyone, [character name]." (During a Blood Moon)
  • "Funny, everyone complains about the moon, but not about the sun." (During a Solar Eclipse)
  • "Happy Halloween! Or... wait, did you jinx us?" (During a Pumpkin Moon)
  • "Merry Christmas! Or... wait, did you jinx us again?" (During a Frost Moon)
  • "Hey, are you okay? You don't seem so." (After Lunatic Cultist has been defeated, but before Moon Lord)
Now the regular old help. Starting with pre-Hardmode:
NPCs:
  • "You can gather materials to make dyes. It will attract the attention of a Dye Trader."
  • "I bet that if you have enough people in your town, a Painter might move in."
  • "Have you seen anyone sleeping on beaches recently? I think you should make him up, if you do find him again."
  • "Travelling merchants may visit your town if they have the chance. Each time they visit, they will have different things to sell."
  • "The Witch Doctor is quite impressed that you killed the bee mastermind. He would like to move in." (After Queen Bee has been killed)
  • "Goblins don't seem to like scientists, but if you do encounter one, you should probably bring him back to our town." (After fending off a Goblin Invasion)
  • "Party girls sure love parties. If you have enough people in your town, perhaps she may come one day."
Bosses and Events:
  • "They say bees love making nests in jungles, deep underground. I'm sure if you disturb their home, their queen would come to protect her hive. She's holding some sweet loot."
  • "Sometimes, slimes rain down from the sky. If you manage to kill enough, you may eventually attract attention of their King."
Other:
  • "If you have a fishing pole and some bait, you can fish to obtain potion ingredients and obtain crates full of loot."
  • “Four extraordinary chests can be found within the depths of the dungeon, unfortunately these are locked and you can’t obtain the keys yet.” (After killing Skeletron and before Hardmode)
Now onto the help that he'll say in Hardmode:
NPCs:

• "Have you seen any Mushroom biome? Maybe you should create one above ground, and something may move in." (Only if there doesn't exist an overworld Mushroom biome)
  • "The Underworld is a place where you may come across some poor tortured souls. Maybe [Dryad's name] has something to help them?" (Only if Tax Collector has not been purified)
  • "About pirates, I know one who’s not proud of his own society. I see it that you have fended off an invasion of theirs, he seems interested enough to meet you." (After fending off a Pirate Invasion)
  • "If you can defeat at least one mechanical menace, then maybe a Steampunker will come looking for you." (If no mechanical boss has been defeated)
  • "Cyborgs have always hated plants. If you can kill the overgrown monstrosity, maybe a Cyborg will come." (Before killing Plantera)
Bosses and Events:
  • "The ocean contains more than you might expect. Prove you can find some treasure, and you might get invaded by pirates."
  • "They say below the ground, and up in the sky, are three mechanical disasters, turned off. Either one night, or should you trigger them somehow, they may rise again." (When all three mechanical bosses haven't been defeated)
  • "The jungle stirs. Strange, pink bulbs are growing in the jungle. But don't break one, until you're prepared." (If at least one Plantera's Bulb exists and none have been broken yet)
  • "You should be careful when fishing in the ocean. Who knows what kind of monster may take the bait." (When the player has a Truffle Worm in his/her inventory)
  • "With Plantera gone, the dungeon has gone restless. But, have you encountered a strange, orange building within the jungle? You have a key, don't you? If so, open the door and face the Lihzahrds, and their idol, Golem." (If the player has a Temple Key in his/her inventory)
  • "If you see a flying probe, don't let it escape. I get the feeling something unearthly, is watching us." (Before fending off Martian Madness for the first time)
  • "With the Golem gone, Cultists have gathered up at the dungeon. I have no idea what they’re even doing. I suggest you take a look at what's happening there." (If Cultists are present at the dungeon entrance)
  • "Otherworldly creatures have invaded [world name]. Kill a number of their minions to weaken a tower and turn that area back to normal." (If at least one Celestial Tower exists within the world)
  • "So, you have killed a Celestial Tower. Should you kill the remaining, you will face the ultimate foe, and there is no escape. You must be prepared." (If at least one Celestial Tower is killed)
Other:
  • “Remember when I talked to you about those chests? You can now obtain the keys to the chests by killing monsters in their respective biomes, but you must kill the giant plant first. Each chest contains an unique weapon, matching with the chest from which it was looted from.” (Before killing Plantera)
That's all we came up with me. You can suggest me to add in more quotes if they should be there or edit them a bit.

Oh, and this isn't really relevant to the topic itself... but after defeating Golem for the first time in a world, this status message should appear:
  • "Unearthly chanting echoes from the dungeon"
What do you think?

Last edited:
I like these ideas a lot! Some of the quotes I don't like/don't seem to fit with the Guide's character, but in general the idea is great. Also for the Golem idea, how about:

Unearthly chanting echoes from the Dungeon...

Why not? Here's a few more quotes:

Moon Events
"Doesn't the moon seem like, a pumpkin?" (During a Pumpkin Moon)
"Hey, do you know who was put onto Santa's Naughty List?" (During a Frost Moon)
Post-Golem:
"If you see a flying probe, don't let it escape. I have a feeling there might be something watching us"
"Well, now that you ended the Skeleton and Lihzarhd Race, might as well destroy their places" (leading the player to discover about the Cultists)
Post-Cultist:
"Hey, did you ever, see the Lunatic Cultist? If so, I think we might need some help from him (referring that defeating the Cultist led to the Celestial Towers)
Pre-Moon Lord:
"Hey, are you ok? You don't seem yourself"

I think this would be better for Tax Collector hint:
"The Underworld is a place where you may come across some poor tortured souls. Maybe <Dryadname> has something to help them?"
On Duke Fishron:
"You should be careful when fishing in the ocean. Who knows what kind of monster may take the bait"
and
"Pigrons like mushrooms. It may be possible to fish for a pigron with mushroom bait".

Also I'd rewrite some of other NPC quotes. Like Steampunker making it clear how she's connected with mechanical bosses. Something like "Sorry for the mess, those contraptions of mine went rogue. Thanks for dealing with one of them, look out for other two" or "I heard about some huge machines being torn apart around here. May I take a look?"

Last edited:
Why not? Here's a few more quotes:

Moon Events
"Doesn't the moon seem like, a pumpkin?" (During a Pumpkin Moon)
"Hey, do you know who was put onto Santa's Naughty List?" (During a Frost Moon)
Post-Golem:
"If you see a flying probe, don't let it escape. I have a feeling there might be something watching us"
"Well, now that you ended the Skeleton and Lihzarhd Race, might as well destroy their places" (leading the player to discover about the Cultists)
Post-Cultist:
"Hey, did you ever, see the Lunatic Cultist? If so, I think we might need some help from him (referring that defeating the Cultist led to the Celestial Towers)
Pre-Moon Lord:
"Hey, are you ok? You don't seem yourself"
I think this would be better for Tax Collector hint:
"The Underworld is a place where you may come across some poor tortured souls. Maybe <Dryadname> has something to help them?"
On Duke Fishron:
"You should be careful when fishing in the ocean. Who knows what kind of monster may take the bait"
and
"Pigrons like mushrooms. It may be possible to fish for a pigron with mushroom bait".

Also I'd rewrite some of other NPC quotes. Like Steampunker making it clear how she's connected with mechanical bosses. Something like "Sorry for the mess, those contraptions of mine went rogue. Thanks for dealing with one of them, look out for other two" or "I heard about some huge machines being torn apart around here. May I take a look?"

Hmm, yes. I like these, but some don't make sense.
Adding them.

Great quotes! Many players leave Terraria before completing it because they don't know what to do after hardmode, and the guide who helped them stays silent during hardmode. That's one of the main reasons I support this!

Anyway, I wonder why this thread died! It's a great one. I shall revive it!

I suggest to also change "Make sure to smash any [demon/crimson] altar you can find. Something good is bound to happen if you do!" a bit, like: "Make sure to smash many altars, something good is bound to happen if you do, but don't destroy too many of these, because your world will be in bad situation!". That's because: 1. When you smash and altar, one grass or stone block turns corrupted/crimsoned/hallowed; 2. You sometimes want to craft summoning items and you can't because there are no altars left. I support your ideas.

I may feel guilty for bumping this thread, but RIP.
K, bumping this.

Since some of you said some of the quotes don't fit, I may get around fixing it later.

These are good ideas! I've always liked the Guide, but he did lose his usefulness pretty fast, and this could change that.
However I think it was symbolic in some way that he didn't help as much during Hardmode, so I guess I have mixed feelings about this.

there is a quote hinting about the golbin tinkerer already
"Are goblins really so different from us that we couldn't live together peacefully?"

"Your furnace is not good enough, a better one should be sufficient to smelt that ore of yours," - If the player have a Mithril/Titanium/Oricalchum/Adamantite ore in their inventory. (Hardmode)

"Having simply the weapon won't do, you'll need some ammunition," - If the player have a ranged weapon that require ammo but doesn't have any sort of ammo in their inventory.

"In the heart of the jungle, exists plants that grows life! How cool is that! You shouls try eating one," - If the player hasn't consumed a life fruit yet (Hardmode)

"I heard a certain Witch, or a doctor, likes the scenerh of the jungle, you should build a house for him, who knows what ritualistic stuff he might sell you," - If Witch Doctor hasn't moved in.

"Protect your fellow housemates!" - If an NPC dies within the last 6 hours.

"I heard chanting coming from (East/West), you should go and check," - If Golem have been defeated and Lunatic Cultist haven't.

"Please don't throw that doll shaped like me to lava, something bad is bound to happen," - If the player have a Guide Voodoo Doll in inventory.

"Hey, the moon is red!" - When it's Blood Moon

"<Nurse Name> seems pissed off, might not want to request for healing for her too much right now," - When it's Blood Moon.

"Where's the sun?" - When it's a Solar Eclipse.

"It feels like a tiny earthquake, something's coming, you better be prepared for it," - When The Destroyer is about to arrive.

"Something's watching, who is it? Or what is it?" - When Eye of Cthulhu is about to arrive.

"Something's watching, or two. Who is it? Or what is it?" - When The Twins is about to arrive.

"Phew, it's really cold, I'm shivering down to the bone," - When Skeleton Prime is about to arrive.

"There's some vibrations coming from the jungle, visit it? Just for extra precautions." - Post-Mechanical Bosses and before checking Underground Jungle.

"You have the pieces,
You have the power,
With the aid of the Sword of Night,
And the balancing of the Sword of Light.
Borns the might of the Sword of Terraria," - On rare occasion, if the player have 3 Broken Hero Sword.

"You should get a Pickaxe Axe, they are definitely more powerful than yours," - If the player have a pickaxe less powerful than the Pickaxe Axe (and if they haven't crafted it yet)

"Do you know that Chlorophyte grows on mud?" - If the player have some chlorophyte ores in their inventory.

"If you can defeat the kings and queens of the sky, you might get their souls in return!" - If the player haven't obtained souls of flight yet but have visited space.

"Will people ever go to space?" - If the player haven't gone to space.

"We lost a lot today/tonight," - If more than 3 NPCs are killed in a day/night.

"Watch out for the traps in the Lihzards Temple, they are deadly," - Post-Plantera and Pre-Golem.

"You can make a suspicious looking skull with 2 Mechanical Skull and 1 Mechanical Eye, a few (Adamantite/Titanium) bars and several souls," - Post-Mechanical Bosses

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom