1. For issues you find with the Switch and Console releases, please follow this link and give as much detail as possible. This is the speediest way to get info to Pipeworks and get a hotfix in the works.
    Dismiss Notice

TV the Guild of the Terrario-Whovians

Discussion in 'Other Media (Non-Gaming: Movies, TV, etc.)' started by Chips, Oct 22, 2018.

1. Chips

Chips The Destroyer

Greetings all, unknown member here. I am a big fan of the Doctor Who TV Series and I have learned that many on this forum are, too. I wanted to create a thread so that people like me can converse and share our thoughts on what's going on in the Doctor's ever-expanding story. I understand that there is another thread like this, but it's been dead since 2014.
    Anyways, have at it.
    *Insert famous Doctor line*

2. former_lurker

former_lurker Terrarian

:nursecrying: This section is so quiet...

I generally like the new series, but the first four episodes seem a bit mediocre, sadly. I mean they don't seem to be very well written. "Rosa" is probably the best, but it's still lacking. Really hope the writing improves because we're nearly halfway through!

Chips likes this.
  3. Chips

Chips The Destroyer

I expected no less...

Although "Arachnids in the UK" was kind of touching near the end, the backstory to the spiders wasn't very unique. They just recycled the "toxic waste" cliche and put a small spin on it. I'm expecting something better in the fifth episode. However, I did like "Rosa" because of it dealing with real problems, rather than simply alien invasions in the past and future and stuff.

former_lurker likes this.
  4. former_lurker

former_lurker Terrarian

It can be argued "Arachnids in the UK" also dealt with real problems. Love the Doctor's face whenever that jerkwad shot his mouth. :nursegrin:

Really enjoyed "The Tsuranga Conundrum", but I'm not sure if it was influenced by me way lowering my expectations when I saw Chris Chibnall's name. :nursetongue: One thing's for sure, it's not often you see the Doctor flummoxed by an alien species!

Chips likes this.
  5. former_lurker

former_lurker Terrarian

Have you fallen behind? :nursecrying:

"Demons of the Punjab" was horrific, but good.
    I literally yelled, "Holy :red:, Partition!" when I realized. :nursetongue:

6. Shackled_Rosati

Shackled_Rosati Terrarian

I am sadly very far behind this season but I'm a huge fan of The Doctor! I have seen the first episode of this season and so far I got no complaints. But as much as I disliked Capaldi I feel like I'll be ok with this season.

7. former_lurker

former_lurker Terrarian

The cast is good, but I found the writing is all right overall. Thank heavens Chibnall
    wrote a very good finale, would have been extremely disappointed if he didn't.
    Makes me hopeful for future episodes.

But WTFH?! After the New Year's Special, no new eps until 2020?! :nursemad:

To each his own. I loved Capaldi. But then I like the Doctor best when s/he's a misanthropic jerk. :nursegrin:

8. Shackled_Rosati

Shackled_Rosati Terrarian

I agree. I have heard people didn't like Matt Smith either. And to be honest I wasn't a big fan of him either for a bit then I think his 2nd season I warmed up to him and now he is totally one of my favorites!

Chips likes this.
  9. former_lurker

former_lurker Terrarian

...Wow, has it been that long since I was last here? Darn the holiday season. :nursetongue:

I liked Matt Smith right away. I think a lot of people were just salty David Tennant left. Me, I found Tennant annoying, so I was up for a change.

For the most part it's the writing that keeps me engaged. I like Capaldi, but man were there some horrible scripts during his time! Doesn't help Clara is probably my least favorite companion, but thankfully Capaldi and Moffat left with a bang. I thought series 10 was consistently good, rekindling my love for the series. :nursepassionate:

Chips likes this.
  10. Chips

Chips The Destroyer

Oh my god. For some reason, I didn't get the alerts of you guys' conversation. If it's okay, I'll intrude. I certainly agree with former_lurker on the matter of the finale and Season 10. However, I did enjoy David Tennant's role as Doctor. I enjoyed SMith much better, however, and still consider Rory to be my favorite companion.

former_lurker likes this.
  11. former_lurker

former_lurker Terrarian

Well, hello! Wondered what happened to you. :nursegrin:

To be fair, I found Tennant annoying because there were a lot of really sphincter-clenchingly bad "comedy" scenes. He was fantastic when the stories took a dark turn, and there were some really good stories during his time. I think my all-time favorites are from his era. Blink, Midnight, Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead all leap to mind. But what really grated was the 20-minute tribute before regenerating to Smith, with tears and whining. I was like, "Hand me a bucket." :nursetongue:

Ah, poor Rory. He seems to be one of the most overlooked companions and so underrated! Sadly, he's slipped to third of my favorites. First is Martha, second is now Graham.

Chips likes this.