the Guild of the Terrario-Whovians

mr e

The Destroyer
Greetings all, unknown member here. I am a big fan of the Doctor Who TV Series and I have learned that many on this forum are, too. I wanted to create a thread so that people like me can converse and share our thoughts on what's going on in the Doctor's ever-expanding story. I understand that there is another thread like this, but it's been dead since 2014.
Anyways, have at it.
*Insert famous Doctor line*

:nursecrying: This section is so quiet...

I generally like the new series, but the first four episodes seem a bit mediocre, sadly. I mean they don't seem to be very well written. "Rosa" is probably the best, but it's still lacking. Really hope the writing improves because we're nearly halfway through!

:nursecrying: This section is so quiet...

I expected no less...

I generally like the new series, but the first four episodes seem a bit mediocre, sadly. I mean they don't seem to be very well written. "Rosa" is probably the best, but it's still lacking. Really hope the writing improves because we're nearly halfway through!

Although "Arachnids in the UK" was kind of touching near the end, the backstory to the spiders wasn't very unique. They just recycled the "toxic waste" cliche and put a small spin on it. I'm expecting something better in the fifth episode. However, I did like "Rosa" because of it dealing with real problems, rather than simply alien invasions in the past and future and stuff.

It can be argued "Arachnids in the UK" also dealt with real problems. Love the Doctor's face whenever that jerkwad shot his mouth. :nursegrin:

Really enjoyed "The Tsuranga Conundrum", but I'm not sure if it was influenced by me way lowering my expectations when I saw Chris Chibnall's name. :nursetongue: One thing's for sure, it's not often you see the Doctor flummoxed by an alien species!

Have you fallen behind? :nursecrying:

"Demons of the Punjab" was horrific, but good.
I literally yelled, "Holy :red:, Partition!" when I realized. :nursetongue:

I am sadly very far behind this season but I'm a huge fan of The Doctor! I have seen the first episode of this season and so far I got no complaints. But as much as I disliked Capaldi I feel like I'll be ok with this season.

The cast is good, but I found the writing is all right overall. Thank heavens Chibnall
wrote a very good finale, would have been extremely disappointed if he didn't.
Makes me hopeful for future episodes.

But WTFH?! After the New Year's Special, no new eps until 2020?! :nursemad:

But as much as I disliked Capaldi I feel like I'll be ok with this season.

To each his own. I loved Capaldi. But then I like the Doctor best when s/he's a misanthropic jerk. :nursegrin:

I agree. I have heard people didn't like Matt Smith either. And to be honest I wasn't a big fan of him either for a bit then I think his 2nd season I warmed up to him and now he is totally one of my favorites!

...Wow, has it been that long since I was last here? Darn the holiday season. :nursetongue:

I agree. I have heard people didn't like Matt Smith either. And to be honest I wasn't a big fan of him either for a bit then I think his 2nd season I warmed up to him and now he is totally one of my favorites!

I liked Matt Smith right away. I think a lot of people were just salty David Tennant left. Me, I found Tennant annoying, so I was up for a change.

For the most part it's the writing that keeps me engaged. I like Capaldi, but man were there some horrible scripts during his time! Doesn't help Clara is probably my least favorite companion, but thankfully Capaldi and Moffat left with a bang. I thought series 10 was consistently good, rekindling my love for the series. :nursepassionate:

Oh my god. For some reason, I didn't get the alerts of you guys' conversation. If it's okay, I'll intrude. I certainly agree with former_lurker on the matter of the finale and Season 10. However, I did enjoy David Tennant's role as Doctor. I enjoyed SMith much better, however, and still consider Rory to be my favorite companion.

Oh my god. For some reason, I didn't get the alerts of you guys' conversation. If it's okay, I'll intrude. I certainly agree with former_lurker on the matter of the finale and Season 10. However, I did enjoy David Tennant's role as Doctor. I enjoyed SMith much better, however, and still consider Rory to be my favorite companion.

Well, hello! Wondered what happened to you. :nursegrin:

To be fair, I found Tennant annoying because there were a lot of really sphincter-clenchingly bad "comedy" scenes. He was fantastic when the stories took a dark turn, and there were some really good stories during his time. I think my all-time favorites are from his era. Blink, Midnight, Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead all leap to mind. But what really grated was the 20-minute tribute before regenerating to Smith, with tears and whining. I was like, "Hand me a bucket." :nursetongue:

Ah, poor Rory. He seems to be one of the most overlooked companions and so underrated! Sadly, he's slipped to third of my favorites. First is Martha, second is now Graham.

Well then, I guess the fate that took hold of the original thread has befallen this one as well. Hopefully some more discussion will take place here in a year and a half, when the next season launches.

:nurse:

You changed your username and profile pic, confusing me totally.

A year and a half?! Where did you get that?! Quick search says it's still on for early 2020.

I ought to rewatch some of the earlier rebooted series, like I've been meaning to do for a good long while. I should probably rewatch Resolution, but whenever I think about it, I get a bit angry at how poor I thought it was for a special. The only bit I liked was when
the Dalek built its own shell, like the Doctor built her own sonic screwdriver.

Really, really hoping the writing improves.

Guess I'll kick off the new series a bit late. Tbh, I got caught off-guard by how early "early 2020" turned out to be. :nursegrin:

Surprise! So far I thought the best eps are written or co-written by Chibnall: Spyfall and Fugitive of the Judoon (co-written by Vinay Patel, dude who wrote Demons of the Punjab).

But ffs, the two in-between were pretty crap. I love Tesla, so that ep made me sad with its blandness. :nursecrying:

Guess I'll kick off the new series a bit late. Tbh, I got caught off-guard by how early "early 2020" turned out to be. :nursegrin:

Surprise! So far I thought the best eps are written or co-written by Chibnall: Spyfall and Fugitive of the Judoon (co-written by Vinay Patel, dude who wrote Demons of the Punjab).

But ffs, the two in-between were pretty crap. I love Tesla, so that ep made me sad with its blandness. :nursecrying:
I honestly thought that Spyfall and it’s sequel episode were a bit cheesy... I didn’t really enjoy the story. I haven’t gotten to Prisoner of the Judoon yet since I use Amazon Prime to watch the series, but I’m going to watch it as soon as I get the chance this weekend. The spa episode (the name escapes me) had my most hated cliche: the “post-apocalyptic planet is actually earth” trope. There were so many plot holes and details that make no sense in the scheme of things in the episode about Tesla that I couldn’t bring myself to enjoy it, no matter how much I liked the space scavenger idea.

So far, I haven’t been very impressed with the series other than the new Master.

My boyfriend really wants me to watch this show but the amount of episodes are a bit daunting. Any tips?

Maybe start with the rebooted episodes with Christopher Eccleston (the ninth Doctor). Not only are the episodes generally well-written, with excellent performances, but it does a good job introducing you to the universe of Doctor Who. It's where I started, thanks to PBS. My first ep was one near the end, I had no idea what was going on, and yet I still loved it enough to still be watching now. :nursegrin:

I honestly thought that Spyfall and it’s sequel episode were a bit cheesy... I didn’t really enjoy the story. I haven’t gotten to Prisoner of the Judoon yet since I use Amazon Prime to watch the series, but I’m going to watch it as soon as I get the chance this weekend. The spa episode (the name escapes me) had my most hated cliche: the “post-apocalyptic planet is actually earth” trope. There were so many plot holes and details that make no sense in the scheme of things in the episode about Tesla that I couldn’t bring myself to enjoy it, no matter how much I liked the space scavenger idea.

So far, I haven’t been very impressed with the series other than the new Master.

Actually the only reason I liked Spyfall at all was
the new Master.
:nursenaughty: But I'm not wrong when I say the best eps at that point had Chibnall involved. (Yes, yes, my opinion.) The writing really, REALLY needs work. I mean, holy crap, over all it's worse than last season, and that was pretty bad!

As an aside, the latest ep was good, the ghost story one, but I need to watch it again because I originally watched in sub-optimal conditions.

Um, actually, I was at a Doctor Who convention last weekend in Los Angeles. Got to meet Christopher Eccleston and Pearl Mackie among others. They showed the latest episode an hour earlier than BBC America, in a crowded room, on a big screen, with morons wooing and clapping when you're trying to hear the dialogue, which is why I need to rewatch it...

Maybe start with the rebooted episodes with Christopher Eccleston (the ninth Doctor). Not only are the episodes generally well-written, with excellent performances, but it does a good job introducing you to the universe of Doctor Who. It's where I started, thanks to PBS. My first ep was one near the end, I had no idea what was going on, and yet I still loved it enough to still be watching now. :nursegrin:

Actually the only reason I liked Spyfall at all was
the new Master.
:nursenaughty: But I'm not wrong when I say the best eps at that point had Chibnall involved. (Yes, yes, my opinion.) The writing really, REALLY needs work. I mean, holy crap, over all it's worse than last season, and that was pretty bad!

As an aside, the latest ep was good, the ghost story one, but I need to watch it again because I originally watched in sub-optimal conditions.

Um, actually, I was at a Doctor Who convention last weekend in Los Angeles. Got to meet Christopher Eccleston and Pearl Mackie among others. They showed the latest episode an hour earlier than BBC America, in a crowded room, on a big screen, with morons wooing and clapping when you're trying to hear the dialogue, which is why I need to rewatch it...
Woah! That’s pretty cool.i really enjoyed Prisoner of the Judoon after I watched it, and the Syria one was decent, if not filled with what seems to me like plot holes. I haven’t watched the ghost story episode yet, so I’ll get to that this weekend.

Back
Top Bottom