• For issues you find with the Switch and Console releases, please follow this link and give as much detail as possible. This is the speediest way to get info to Pipeworks and get a hotfix in the works.
  • For issues you find with the Mobile 1.3 update, please follow this link and give as much detail as possible. This is the speediest way to get info to DR Studios to look at your issue. Also, some troubleshooting hints here.

The hype train and how it applies to T:OW.

MACMAN2003

Spazmatism
The hype train is simple. A game has a trailer, people get hyped about it, and then the game releases. Pretty straightforward right? Well that is the case for MOST games (e.g. COD). But for some games I'm looking at you, half life 3. It's not that simple. It begins with a trailer, teaser, or concept art. People get hyped about it, and more trailers and teasers and concept art appears, effectively fanning the flames of the hype train and keeping the bad part at bay while simultaneously keeping peoples interest in the game going. At this point the train can keep on going by itself, but slowing down as time progresses until another round of teasers/concept/trailers happens. If development takes longer than roughly a year, people start to get higher expectations, which in turn lead to the developers to take more time to attune to those higher expectations, and the cycle repeats itself until the developers are working day and night to keep up with the expectations of the common gamer. At this point most developers give up Still looking at you half life 3. and say "Sorry but something that wasn't expected happened / something was skipped to keep up with your expectations so we have to stop development" And then everyone is unhappy and sad.

"But where does T:OW fit into all of this?"
T:OW has reached the "slowing down" point because the developers overfed/stopped feeding the community spoilers and teasers. And what happened with Pipeworks studios being the new devs Is neither helping nor not helping. Its feeding the hype and also starving it. The problem is not the developers or the game, its us with our high expectations. So what I have to say is. Give the developers a break, your straining them too hard and they are taking forever because of it. Sure nothing's perfect but because of everyone's high expectations of a 2 dimensional game its making everyone unhappy. If we give the developers a break they surely will speed up the production ;).

FlyKip

Plantera
The devs ARE going to met our high expectations for the game, that is why it is taking so long. Also, a period of silence will take place for a month or two (not official timeframe) while pipeworks anylizes otherworld and sees what needs to be done. Also, the devs being asked for spoilers will most likely NOT slow down development, since we are usually complaining to Loki, who is not making making otherworld. He is in the loop, but no coding or spriteing. We should be patient, but people are not always what they try to be. If I missed any points, feel free to inform me. Don't worry! I'm hyped to! :D

landstalker

Terrarian
The hype train is simple. A game has a trailer, people get hyped about it, and then the game releases. Pretty straightforward right? Well that is the case for MOST games (e.g. COD). But for some games I'm looking at you, half life 3. It's not that simple. It begins with a trailer, teaser, or concept art. People get hyped about it, and more trailers and teasers and concept art appears, effectively fanning the flames of the hype train and keeping the bad part at bay while simultaneously keeping peoples interest in the game going. At this point the train can keep on going by itself, but slowing down as time progresses until another round of teasers/concept/trailers happens. If development takes longer than roughly a year, people start to get higher expectations, which in turn lead to the developers to take more time to attune to those higher expectations, and the cycle repeats itself until the developers are working day and night to keep up with the expectations of the common gamer. At this point most developers give up Still looking at you half life 3. and say "Sorry but something that wasn't expected happened / something was skipped to keep up with your expectations so we have to stop development" And then everyone is unhappy and sad.

T:OW has reached the "slowing down" point because the developers overfed/stopped feeding the community spoilers and teasers. And what happened with Pipeworks studios being the new devs Is neither helping nor not helping. Its feeding the hype and also starving it. The problem is not the developers or the game, its us with our high expectations. So what I have to say is. Give the developers a break, your straining them too hard and they are taking forever because of it. Sure nothing's perfect but because of everyone's high expectations of a 2 dimensional game its making everyone unhappy. If we give the developers a break they surely will speed up the production ;).
Do you actually think that the posts here affect the development of the game?
That they sit and worry about the comments posted by the fans?
Sure they know that they have a loyal fan-base, but the feelings or expectations of their supporters have very little to do with the development process.
Pipeworks and Re-Logic will be working on T:OW regardless of whether these comments exist or not.
Their main goal, irrespective of any opinions posted here is to create a product that they, the developers are proud to be associated with.
They are not "strained" because of anything said on the forums.
They are probably strained because the original developer dropped the ball so badly on the project in the first place.
Any strain that may exist will come from trying to fix the faults of the past not because someone is putting verbal pressure on the team.
Comments here do not influence development or the speed of production.
The coders are not taking valuable development time out of their schedules to read the forums.
They very probably don't even read them.

As for developers including content due to comments from fans, well that is just ridiculous.
When a game is designed, any qualified and experienced team has the design locked down preferably before the first line of code is written.
Adding content, or changing content based on fan comments leads to disaster and will almost certainly never happen if a team knows what they are doing.
So "skipping things to meet with fans expectations"...never happens.

Development will go at whatever speed is needed to repair the damage of the last 4 years and the project will be released as and when Re-Logic is satisfied.
So write as much or as little as you wish.
It makes no difference.

Kazzymodus

Staff member

I'm getting a bit fed up with all this "you people are entitled" talk. Not just from you, but from other people as well.

Let me get one thing straight: I am not particularly hyped for Terraria: Otherworld (I have more than enough games and much too little time to play them, so I keep myself occupied), so whenever we get an announcement telling us the game is delayed, I shrug and move on with my life. However, from the huge amounts of time I've spent on these forums it's abundantly clear to me that a lot of people love Terraria much more than I do, and a lot of people are indeed very hyped about Terraria: Otherworld. The idea that they are not entitled to have (realistic) expectations, and not to be disappointed when these expectations aren't met is ridiculous. It's not like Re-Logic planned this, and stated "This is how we're going to do it, if you don't like it, go suck it.". They are as disappointed by this as we are (per Loki's own admission), but that doesn't mean their fans don't get to be.

@landstalker was spot on when he said that the game isn't being delayed because we're supposedly breathing into their necks. It's because of internal problems that have nothing to do with us. It is also not true that the hype is slowing down because the devs have overfed or stopped feeding (which is a contradiction, you need to pick one) us, it's simply because hype, like most things, decays over time. This is also why Loki stated that had they known the game would have been delayed as much as it had, they wouldn't have announced it when they did.

I know you do not mean to insult the Terraria community, but quite frankly, it does feel a bit like that. It is not impatience or entitlement that drives these people. It's passion.

Jeckel

Terrarian
In the meantime perhaps you could learn how to use the English language correctly and stop inventing words.
;)
Telling someone to "learn how to use the English language correctly" comes off as very rude, whether intended or not. This forum requires that members treat each other with mutual respect and failing to do so can earn warning marks or other actions against your account. In the future, please keep this in mind and treat all members with the respect that is required by the rules.

If you have any comments or questions about this, you are welcome to direct them to me via a Private Message.

Necrius

Skeletron Prime
Telling someone to "learn how to use the English language correctly" comes off as very rude, whether intended or not. This forum requires that members treat each other with mutual respect and failing to do so can earn warning marks or other actions against your account. In the future, please keep this in mind and treat all members with the respect that is required by the rules.

If you have any comments or questions about this, you are welcome to direct them to me via a Private Message.
Sheesh, is there a respectful way to say someone that even if they're fine fellow, their way of communicating makes my eyes bleed and would be neat if they improved it? You're taking "mutual respect" part way too far. You can't make forums sterile and expect them to live on.

FlyKip

Plantera
Yeah, he put a winky face at the end to show that he wasnt attacking him right, but more of tip to double check your wordage

Jeckel

Terrarian
Sheesh, is there a respectful way to say someone that even if they're fine fellow, their way of communicating makes my eyes bleed and would be neat if they improved it? You're taking "mutual respect" part way too far. You can't make forums sterile and expect them to live on.
No, there probably isn't a respectful way to negatively criticize language skills in a thread where it has no relation to the topic. There is also little reason to even bring up another member's grammar unless it is in a grammar related thread. It has nothing to do with making the forum sterile, it is about stopping fights before they start and generally keeping up a healthy community. If you have any other questions or comments, you are welcome to direct them to me via a Private Message, but this discussion is off-topic for this thread.

in the mean time, learn your history where english grammar is a lie trying make itself perfect by people.
Mutual respect goes both ways, responding rudely is no more acceptable than being rude in the first place. I suggest you also keep the rules in mind when posting.

ChaoticGamer

Terrarian
No, there probably isn't a respectful way to negatively criticize language skills in a thread where it has no relation to the topic. There is also little reason to even bring up another member's grammar unless it is in a grammar related thread. It has nothing to do with making the forum sterile, it is about stopping fights before they start and generally keeping up a healthy community. If you have any other questions or comments, you are welcome to direct them to me via a Private Message, but this discussion is off-topic for this thread.

Mutual respect goes both ways, responding rudely is no more acceptable than being rude in the first place. I suggest you also keep the rules in mind when posting.
Oh no, I wasn't rude, it same way it points, saying they need learn good english I say is being rude, but its more likely its the truth when world started trying make itself perfect. We all know how it turns out today. Pretty much everyone still care perfection-ness which I find it pointless to be perfect still when you have other skills could do to teach other a good lesson or netrual statement. Suggesting bad lesson is not on my list because for wise men knows what is good wisdom and what is wicked wisdom for simple words darkness hate light and light stand out of being cover by darkness.

Steping into English grammar, everything won't matter because we had old school words "thy might at nigh nay I smite The" as one small scentest for it should be accused calling and error grammar today modern world which it wouldn't call a foul words at all which all English schools of grammar try use this is perfect to be put in. So pretty much I am 100% sure grammar in the world try claim perfectness for grammar is bunch flawed and junk same time. As I made its a netrual statment because I know every part grammar ends up with greatest mistakes thinking it is correcting itself right.

Now back to the topic. I say stop the hype train for second and just relax and do streches in physic, mind, spirit and soul.

ChaoticGamer

Terrarian
Yes, this thread has gotten off topic. Everyone get back on-topic, please. Any more off-topic posts w
ill earn warning marks.
fine. Hype train, hype train ooo..raw....meh....It would be nice if we really got mercenaries in the game, I mean it would be totally would be useful more then the turrets that takes could be for while build getting the materials. For mercenaries it just pay in front then they go in like leroies...Welp back to my drinking.

ChaoticGamer

Terrarian
Rez the forum....uncool, because it been 2 flipping pots years, censor words replacement because due of modator "Do not approve of my neatrual statment still" for if they got complain about it tell it to the people who is dead because if you don't care for them then I don't care how things handled because rules are broken, we aren't in kidagarden which terraria was rated as "MATURE, TEENS, VIOLENTS" which doesn't make mature to the forum correctly for thinking kids still running around in terraria still. If you think this is a grudge, no. Handling things not professional for I did more common netrual terms, which justice in form doesn't work its either people will leave the website and never speak again or either trolls overfloow which trying keep website alive by using memes and less tracking for trolls so they don't do memes and causing flame war or spam threads or post.

Anyway back to the topic, there is no hype train for it been 2 year and almost about count as another year. I am not hype at all, not even single bit from this front to back because it filled me with the greatest disappointment which I did calcuated how much money just spent which lost the time, lost the player's attentions, demoralized the players, promies was broken for your youtube said 2015 you guys were pose to come out, focusing too much other games when you could askly kindly for modders from steam or other people to have time to assist to add them to the credits but didn't choose so, eletric bills, water bills, rent/company building bill, tax, and pay the emploies which I've calcuated your close to 5 billions of dollars you had lost. Welp this is what happen you don't advertisement your game very offten, back to my drinking.

I am really disappointed with alot of things.

Kazzymodus

Staff member
Rez the forum....uncool, because it been 2 flipping pots years, censor words replacement because due of modator "Do not approve of my neatrual statment still" for if they got complain about it tell it to the people who is dead because if you don't care for them then I don't care how things handled because rules are broken, we aren't in kidagarden which terraria was rated as "MATURE, TEENS, VIOLENTS" which doesn't make mature to the forum correctly for thinking kids still running around in terraria still. If you think this is a grudge, no. Handling things not professional for I did more common netrual terms, which justice in form doesn't work its either people will leave the website and never speak again or either trolls overfloow which trying keep website alive by using memes and less tracking for trolls so they don't do memes and causing flame war or spam threads or post.

Anyway back to the topic, there is no hype train for it been 2 year and almost about count as another year. I am not hype at all, not even single bit from this front to back because it filled me with the greatest disappointment which I did calcuated how much money just spent which lost the time, lost the player's attentions, demoralized the players, promies was broken for your youtube said 2015 you guys were pose to come out, focusing too much other games when you could askly kindly for modders from steam or other people to have time to assist to add them to the credits but didn't choose so, eletric bills, water bills, rent/company building bill, tax, and pay the emploies which I've calcuated your close to 5 billions of dollars you had lost. Welp this is what happen you don't advertisement your game very offten, back to my drinking.

I am really disappointed with alot of things.
The hype has definitely died down, because of the long silences between updates, but riding on the hype only gets you so far as a company; for all means and purposes, continuing development on T:OW until it's up to scratch is beneficial in the long run, even if it takes another year (or more). Whatever delaying the game is costing them (whether in money or PR) is worth ending up delivering a quality product. It's a shame they can't utilise the hype to its full potential anymore, but it's hardly going to break them.

As for the 5 billion dollars worth of expenses... yeah, not sure how you ended up with that figure. I'm not sure how you would know how much Re-Logic pays for electricity, water and rent, how much tax they pay (over how much income), or how much they pay their employees either, really. Then again, judging from the figure you came up with (again, five billion?), I presume you might actually not.

Top Bottom