The Immortality Machine v2.0: Simultaneously Crushing all 7 Hardmode Bosses AFK in Expert Mode

DicemanX

Brain of Cthulhu
Before 1.3 I invented the Heart and Star Machine when designing my Ultimate Arena. The machine was designed to keep the player alive through any event or any boss fight:

http://forums.terraria.org/index.ph...-versus-moon-events-invasions-all-boss.18301/

Then 1.3 was released and statue mechanics were changed. Before 1.3 each statue could be activated up to 6 times before the cooldown triggered, and after 1.3 was released you can now only trigger a statue once before cooldown. This makes it more difficult to design a machine to keep the player alive using heart statues, but I have finally succeeded.

Video:

Immortality Machine Schematics:

wi2FEYI.jpg

8G7mWgC.png

How the Machine Functions:

The player enters the teleporter just above the artificial jungle, and teleports into the bottom hoik track. Along the track are heart statues that dispense hearts to the player. At the end of the track is a teleporter that sends the player into the next track, eventually passing through all the tracks and ending up in the starting track. It takes about 10 seconds to complete one loop, which coincides with the 10 second cooldown of the heart statues. This way the player is kept alive in the machine even though the expert-mode bosses might be dealing tons of damage.

The tracks are lined with lava, and the hoik teeth are actuated along any track not currently in use. This is to ensure that when a boss dies, its hearts will fall into the lava and burn up. It is necessary that the hearts are destroyed, because otherwise they would block the heart statues from dispensing hearts (a heart statue cannot dispense hearts if 10 hearts are on the ground anywhere in the world).

Once the player is ready to exit, the player hits a lever in the track second from the bottom (with the 4 levers in a row) to send the player to to starting corridor. The machine is also designed to ensure that all treasure bag drops from the bosses are automatically collected.

To deal damage to the bosses, a powerful minion that can attack through walls is used. The Stardust Dragon is the best choice, since it can generate the highest DPS. In the video I start by equipping the Nebula Armor set to generate three +15% damage boosts so that I can create a stronger dragon once I switch into the Nebula set. In the schematic the lever above the yellow chambers activates a dummy ghost which activates the two slime statues. So long as the slimes are killed with a player minion they will drop nebula boosts.

World Download:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4b_4cIU1vVBbFRSbHFFaFVYUDg/view

Ahhh, so if you can't get all the hearts to come to you... Nicely engineered, as always. Moon Lord could clearly be seen mouthing: "NERF DICEMANX, OP! X-)"

Obviously in-game impractical with 136 heart statues (that equate to a maximum of 272 health per second?), but not the point, of course.

I see that you have perfect anti-spawn teirs implemented there with bubble blocks (and lava on the plate platforms, that have to be blocks, heh, design considerations).

Last edited:
Ahhh, so if you can't get all the hearts to come to you... Nicely engineered, as always. Obviously in-game impractical with 136 heart statues (equating to a maximum of 272 health per second?)

Let's hope the impracticality keeps this machine "safe" from any further dev tinkering :).

I was also a bit surprised how challenging this thing was to engineer. It's simple enough conceptually, but so many practical problems arose during testing. I'm actually quite happy with how it turned out!

This is quite beyond incredible! An awesome AFK Farming Machine as always! It will be very interesting to see how much even more amazing your machines become when 1.3.1 is released.

Is it even possible to get so much heart statues without exploring several worlds?

Anyway, it looks impressive.

Is it even possible to get so much heart statues without exploring several worlds?

Anyway, it looks impressive.

Many worlds need to be farmed for that many statues. Still, this was a constructional challenge rather than a guide to practical farming - it's hard to beat farming using a Last Prism or SDMG since they can kill most bosses in seconds even in expert mode. The Moon Lord is the exception, but there are other ways of farming him individually.

Couldn't you spawn the Cultist?

I haven't tried yet, so I'm not sure it would follow me to the farm that I prefer to keep at the edge of the world to minimize screen movement. There's a problem though - if I summon the cultist, the Dragon will rip it apart in seconds, likely before I enter the farm itself. Also, any idea what the current status is with summoning the Moon Lord *and* the Cultist? Is it possible?

This is cool but defeats the purpose of playing the game to be honest. If your done Everything in the game then sure build this monster. You know?

This is cool but defeats the purpose of playing the game to be honest. If your done Everything in the game then sure build this monster. You know?

But there is no set "purpose" of playing the game. Terraria is as much a building and engineering game, so it's entirely possible to ignore the traditional progression routes and focus on other goals. Plus, I think it's way more fun and challenging to beat bosses and events with contraptions rather than beating them with weapons :)

Thanks to some feedback by a couple of redditors (wrulfy and vituscze) I reworked the staging area where I summon the Stardust Dragon:

1lxJuoG.jpg

The single target DPS is now a bit higher. The buffs I missed in the video are the Tiny Fishron buff when submerged in water while riding Fishron (+15% damage) and the Feral Bite debuff after getting hit by a bat (+20% damage). With the new set-up I allow bats to hit me while I wait for the nebula buffs to build up (the dragon keeps killing the bat and the slimes). Then I move the the water area to collect the nebula buffs and trigger the fishron buff. I also drink a Summoner and Wrath Potions, eat Pumpkin Pie and trigger the Bewitching Table along the way.

With this approach the damage on the Ruthless Stardust Dragon staff reaches 170, and single hits on the dummy range from the 800's to 1200's.

Of course it isn't strictly necessary to have such a powerful minion in the boss fight since you can survive indefinitely in the arena (except if Skeletron Prime is around and it reaches daytime).

Last edited:
Summoners really aren't that strong. Try playing through one and you'll notice that quite rapidly. It's just the damage snapshotting that makes them exceptional, but that's really more a bug then intentional. Emphasize that with an especially tailored machine to minimize the damage taking weakness they have and they seem grossly overpowered.
But put an ranged on a high ledge where things can't reach him but he can still shoot, a caster with infinite mana or shove a melee up close and personal against something with only ranged attacks. You'll get the same overpowered feeling.

And more on topic, wouldn't it make more sense to just use ravens on the slimes and a manual trigger for the bat. Optionally actuate the block with pressure platesso you can just walk off away from the bat without you needing to worry about doing something other then summoning. With a 10% chance of application and the constant berserking your stardust does, it might take a while for the bat to apply it otherwise.

Summoners really aren't that strong. Try playing through one and you'll notice that quite rapidly. It's just the damage snapshotting that makes them exceptional, but that's really more a bug then intentional. Emphasize that with an especially tailored machine to minimize the damage taking weakness they have and they seem grossly overpowered.
But put an ranged on a high ledge where things can't reach him but he can still shoot, a caster with infinite mana or shove a melee up close and personal against something with only ranged attacks. You'll get the same overpowered feeling.

Indeed, a pure summoner is the weakest class by far. I wouldn't say that the so-called "snapshotting" is a bug though. In fact, the way it currently works makes the most logical sense, because otherwise it would be rather odd that once you summon a minion it's strength would be controlled by your gear.

And more on topic, wouldn't it make more sense to just use ravens on the slimes and a manual trigger for the bat. Optionally actuate the block with pressure platesso you can just walk off away from the bat without you needing to worry about doing something other then summoning. With a 10% chance of application and the constant berserking your stardust does, it might take a while for the bat to apply it otherwise.

I tried a similar set-up that you suggest but I prefer my current set-up, since I don't want to be carrying around a raven staff in my inventory and more importantly the bat can kill me unless I take additional measures. With the bat statue hooked up to the dummy engine and the dragon constantly killing bats there's no danger of dying due to the heart drops and nebula health regen buffs.

ANOTHER epic contraption DicemanX. I've been toying with something close since they changed the statues, but I like what you did better than mine. Well done.

First of all. I want to thank DicemanX and ZeroGravitas for discovering hoiks and the awesome engines. I've looted about 120 worlds for the heart statues, had about 30 in my other two pre 1.3 worlds.(over 70 hours of adventuring ^^) and invested about 14h of game time to build this monster. I've managed to kill Expert Destroyer just by swinging the Night's Edge.
Here are some screenshots:

and a question: how can I take proper screenshots of the map? In this picture I've used terrarias intern snapshot function.

First of all. I want to thank DicemanX and ZeroGravitas for discovering hoiks and the awesome engines. I've looted about 120 worlds for the heart statues, had about 30 in my other two pre 1.3 worlds.(over 70 hours of adventuring ^^) and invested about 14h of game time to build this monster. I've managed to kill Expert Destroyer just by swinging the Night's Edge.

Ooh, nicely done! You managed to build this monster after accumulating all those heart statues :). You should block off the surfaces on both sides though, because sometimes those mobs will drop hearts and possibly interfere with the statues dispensing hearts. I see you have another Moon Lord autofarm in your map, although this heart statue based arena is much nicer to watch in action!

Back
Top Bottom