OOC The Island - OOC

I'm pretty sure the Actor feat gives 99% of the stuff the mime class does (at least at the level of that character you posted).

I have a few questions if you don't mind:
1 Why did we change to 5e?
2 Sorry to bring it up again, but I don't like the standard array for ability scores, why are we using that?
3 Did other characters who received their special feats lose them?

I have a few questions if you don't mind:
1 Why did we change to 5e?
2 Sorry to bring it up again, but I don't like the standard array for ability scores, why are we using that?
3 Did other characters who received their special feats lose them?
As far as I know:
1) The people Char asked wanted to.
2) Char switched to it to make people more balanced in terms of power and he felt Point Buy was too confusing. Trust me, I'm also not wild about this particular change.
3) Yes.

I was PMing people who had applied with options. Over 50% said 5e, so I stopped asking and just went with it since it was already majority.

Also it looks like magic items are rare in 5e and there are no more magic item shops, and, it would be best to keep any that I find.
Remembering, nearly every single minor magic item was available in a metropolis, now, I don't think I'll find any. (or maybe a few)

Also it looks like magic items are rare in 5e and there are no more magic item shops, and, it would be best to keep any that I find.
Remembering, nearly every single minor magic item was available in a metropolis, now, I don't think I'll find any. (or maybe a few)
Looks like Char will have to make custom magic weapons.

I'm pretty sure the Actor feat gives 99% of the stuff the mime class does (at least at the level of that character you posted).
Im mostly about these two, though the mimicry (esp the action/skill copying) is useful af also:

Duplication

At 1st level, you gain the ability to magically duplicate weapons using your own as duplication material. After seeing a weapon that you understand the components of that is similar in nature to one you currently possess, you can use your bonus action to transfer the components of that weapon onto your own for the duration of the turn. While duplicated the statistics of your weapon are transformed into the statistics of the weapon you duplicated. When attacking with the duplicated weapon use your mimic attack modifier to hit and damage rolls are that of the duplicated weapon.

Shadow Possession

At 3rd level, you gain the ability to possess and control creatures through their connection to their shadow. You can use your action to launch your shadow 20 feet in front of you. Against an unwilling creature, an unsuccessful Constitution check against your mimic save DC causes you to gain complete control over the creature's movements. While using this you can not attack and for the next minute every move you make the creature controlled by this effect also makes. For example if you punch yourself so does the creature.

These two are combined with the shadow warrior archetype totally cool and thematic. (modify and customize your own (exotic) weapon and utilize shadows to both attack and hide)

I'm still not super great with 5e but I think I have a solid enough grasp of it to try and help. What is it you need help with?

I pretty much need a replacement for the skills above or at least something similar to it.

Duplication

At 1st level, you gain the ability to magically duplicate weapons using your own as duplication material. After seeing a weapon that you understand the components of that is similar in nature to one you currently possess, you can use your bonus action to transfer the components of that weapon onto your own for the duration of the turn. While duplicated the statistics of your weapon are transformed into the statistics of the weapon you duplicated. When attacking with the duplicated weapon use your mimic attack modifier to hit and damage rolls are that of the duplicated weapon.
Going Warlock up through level 3 and taking Pact of the Blade would let you materialize a weapon and no matter what it is you are proficient with it. Would be easy enough flavor for a character to make other people's weapons with Pact of the Blade after seeing them used or something.
Shadow Possession

At 3rd level, you gain the ability to possess and control creatures through their connection to their shadow. You can use your action to launch your shadow 20 feet in front of you. Against an unwilling creature, an unsuccessful Constitution check against your mimic save DC causes you to gain complete control over the creature's movements. While using this you can not attack and for the next minute every move you make the creature controlled by this effect also makes. For example if you punch yourself so does the creature.
Aside from the flavor this sounds pretty much like the Dominate Person spell, so go Wizard, Sorcerer, or Bard and pick that up.

So maybe multiclass Warlock/Sorcerer with some changed flavor and take the Actor feat? Apologies if this isn't what you are looking for exactly.

College of Whispers bard with the Actor feat.

Shadow Possession is quite much for a 3rd level character. The bard gets similar (though not the same) abilities.

So maybe multiclass Warlock/Sorcerer with some changed flavor and take the Actor feat? Apologies if this isn't what you are looking for exactly.

Hmm, could work though i feel like im losing this whole sneaky assasin thing though. At least i dont see a warlock/Sorcerer do it well enough anyways.

College of Whispers bard with the Actor feat.

Shadow Possession is quite much for a 3rd level character. The bard gets similar (though not the same) abilities.
Interresting. I need to look into this more, i gotta sleep now though. Niin!

I remember reading about these in complete psionics, but I never, ever, plan on including psionics again, unless it's just a wizard/sorcerer that doesn't use material/verbal/somatic components and casts spells solely with their mind. The "two magics" thing is awful, imo.

As far as tattoos go, the concept in general doesn't interest me personally, so I probably wouldn't include them as often as other DMs would, who have an interest in tattoos irl and actually think about that sort of thing.

If you're talking about somebody who could give someone magic tattoos, you'd have to find a very powerful archmage who has interest/hobby with that sort of thing. I'm not inherently against that sort of thing, but it would be hard to find one. I'm imagining that you want a "scroll" that's on your body for anytime use?

Buying a magic items is not something that will be a small or commonplace occurrence. It will be a high-value black market trade, a major city-wide auction, or a desperate plea from a desperate person who has such a relic and would be willing to trade it for service. For example, you really won't find a "magic item shop" anywhere on The Island. Things like potions and low-levels scrolls are probably available, and some merchants may (knowingly or unknowingly) have a single magic item or two, but generally it won't be something you find advertised for sale.
I was just recalling something I'd seen in a d&d book about storing a weapon as a tattoo on your body. Thought it would be a cool way to carry Niex around without worrying about him opening his mouth at a bad time. I guess a bag of holding would be simpler if not a bit less secure.

.....The merchant replied to Jacqueline with a similar answer as she did to Acies, only about arrows instead of bolts.

As in they don't sell such things at the establishment or as in they have arrows with certain metal tips, wood, etc?

I'm not really looking for poison arrows, but maybe some kind of elemental or sleeping arrow? Not sure how much they cost. Fire arrows, at the very least.

Speaking of that, does anyone, currently RPing or otherwise, need help with a character stuff? It should be pretty straight forward, but you never know what is/isn't going to end up confusing.

Speaking of that, does anyone, currently RPing or otherwise, need help with a character stuff? It should be pretty straight forward, but you never know what is/isn't going to end up confusing.
I still need to know the name and any other relevant details of my Criminal Contact since you never got back to me about that.

Back
Top Bottom