Weapons & Equip the item "g*psy robe" has a racial slur in it.

I’ve heard that the Japanese media has already banned this word.

Ah yes, the same japanese media that is constantly pointed out by people here in the west for it's "offensive" and "insensitive" content. I would say they are just having to deal with the same pressure, just in a smaller scale as of now.

Last edited:
Ah yes, the same japanese media that is pointed out by people here in the west for "offensive" and "insensitive" content. I would say they just are having the same pressure, just in a smaller scale as of now.
I expect the people who added the term to the banlist probably don’t understand why some people would find it offensive; they probably just found out that some people did and added it because of that. The ethos would seem to be less “We must not broadcast potentially harmful messages.” and more “Avoid controversy at all cost.” Which is entirely the wrong reason to keep such a list, and what’s more, it hasn’t stopped the Japanese media from making worse gaffes.

I expect the people who added the term to the banlist probably don’t understand why some people would find it offensive; they probably just found out that some people did and added it because of that. The ethos would seem to be less “We must not broadcast potentially harmful messages.” and more “Avoid controversy at all cost.” Which is entirely the wrong reason to keep such a list, and what’s more, it hasn’t stopped the Japanese media from making worse gaffes.

Totally

I will say this as my final message for today, the idea is nice, but it wouldn't change anything. As much it would make people feel good by the term not being in the game anymore, it will not stop the word from being used in a real offesive manner, and it will also not correct those stereotypes about the people it references. That, will only stop when people start giving up on these horrible ideas (emphasis on ideas, not words) from days long past us, and not just by not saying a word or two, but by actually acepting each other and trying to make things better.

Well, that's it for me today, good night to you all.

Last edited:
And I'm offended by being called white when the proper word is caucasian. What? Just because there's more of us in some places that makes it okay?

Not if we're supposed to be equals with equal respect for one another in all this politically correct talk.

But since when does anybody care about what caucasians think unless it's to create special protections for any non caucasians?

(Tbh I'm actually Other, but can't legally claim it because im not Other enough for Native Americans to recognize the ancestral link. Because they're legally allowed to discriminate when it comes to ancestry and claiming heritage with them thanks to government protections. How ironic. Kinda like how black people would call each other blue blood for not being black enough to cover up the color of the viens under their skin -only with the force of law behind it because that's how life turned out in this country.
If you really wanna get on my level I'm English, Irish, German, and Cherokee. English, Irish, and German can still be found hating on each other today and they're all caucasian, or "white", and most of them probably only know Cherokee as blanket "Native American". How deep you wanna go? I could only reconcile my ancestors by the fact that they all lived as tribes at one point, but I'm just "white" to most of you reading this and Nothing But White to anybody that sees me on the street...)

To be brutally honest here - if it weren't for the term "gypsy" most non-Romani wouldn't even know that the Romani exist as a race.

I'm sorry if I sound like an :red:, but jfc. If you're really all that concerned with the plight of minorities then get involved in your community and local government and do things to change things there because that's where it really matters.

Also, if you happen to Be Romani and wouldn't approve of your Romani daughter having a baby with a non-Romani...
(Insert your own race in this equation even if you're not Romani)

thats racist!

being a minority doesn't make it okay to hate on other races even if they happen to be a majority. it is, however, a Grrreat! way to loose friends and blood is NOT thicker than water -only redder.

Last edited:
Also, if you happen to Be Romani and wouldn't approve of your Romani daughter having a baby with a non-Romani...

thats racist!

being a minority doesn't make it okay to hate on other races even if they happen to be a majority
I’d just like to point out – before we become too quick to judge – that the reason many Rromani are mistrustful of outsiders is because of centuries of oppression. The exchange there isn’t equal. In such a situation the parent(s) may not be ‘right’, but it’s not remotely near the level of, say, white supremacists marching with tiki torches and lighting crosses on people’s front lawns. There’s quite a difference between a) spiteful, virulent bigotry, and b) mistrust stemming from millennia of prior mistreatment by outsiders. Even if the parent in this example is totally wrong to mistrust this person, they still have my sympathy for being concerned about how this person might treat their daughter, especially if they don’t know them well or haven’t met them yet.
To be brutally honest here - if it weren't for the term "gypsy" most non-Romani wouldn't even know that the Romani exist as a race.
Unfortunately, that’s basically the extent of most North American people’s knowledge of the Rroma. But I don’t know if we can really attribute that knowledge to the term ‘g*psy’. I personally think it was more a case of the stereotypes becoming so widespread that they blotted everything else out.

I’d say that in Europe, most people are certainly aware that the Rroma exist – and most revile them for it.

For many Rromani, things haven’t improved a whole lot since the 1900s. The major difference is that now, on a holistic scale, there’s hope that things might start getting better. Although for the people starving in Europe – goodness no! That hope would seem so remote from where they stand as to be pretty much nonexistent.
If you're really all that concerned with the plight of minorities then get involved in your community and local government and do things to change things there because that's where it really matters.
Absolutely true.

Last edited:
Omfg.

Okay.

Look.

I want you to know that I love you, but here's the thing.

How often do you visit Chinese made games pleading for better recognition of Hmong people?

Last edited:
Bruh....

If it happened before you or especially your parents were born....

Most of us have already been taught to get along.

I don't mean to invalidate the grievances, but damn.
What's the deal with holding a grudge over things that happened before you were born?
The past is only an excuse for those that lived it.
It’s mainly because a lot of people still despise them, and they have no idea who can be trusted. The discrimination is still ongoing. A lot of the poorest, most disadvantaged Rroma are still living through what their forebears did. And those who are more affluent may still mistrust those they see as their people’s continued oppressors.

In North America people are less openly prejudiced against the Rroma than in Europe, but I’d imagine there’s still a lot of mistrust, because the stereotypes of ‘thieves’ are so widespread. Many Rromani Americans don’t disclose their ethnicity for this reason, because they have no idea how people might react to them. And they probably don’t want to have deal with people’s questions either, because there’s so much confusion and ignorance. So it’s easier to just let people assume they’re some other ethnicity.

In North America people are less openly prejudiced against the Rroma than in Europe, but I’d imagine there’s still a lot of mistrust, because the stereotypes of ‘thieves’ are so widespread. Many Rromani Americans don’t disclose their ethnicity for this reason, because they have no idea how people might react to them. And they probably don’t want to have deal with people’s questions either, because there’s so much confusion and ignorance. So it’s easier to just let people assume they’re some other ethnicity.

I have never heard of anybody being racist against Rromani, ever in North America. And just like several people in this thread, I never even heard of the Rromani race and I'm like to think that most Americans are this way.

But anyhow, I'd like to bring up another point:

I worry for this newest generation of people. They all want safe spaces, they want to remove everything that offends them, they want to shut out opposing ideas...

The problem with this is quite simple: If you don't use your muscles, they will atrophy. If your immune system is never attacked much (like, with germophobes), it will atrophy.

The mind is no different. If you avoid all confrontation and if you avoid anything that offends you, and if you shut out all opposing viewpoints, your mind will get weak and you will have a very warped perception of the world. This is why such is usually referred to as an "echo chamber" where a person living in one only hears what they themselves believe, and it colors the entire world based upon their perception.

These people are emotionally stunted, and they never develop any guts, spine, or backbone. How could they? They avoided anything that challenged them mentally and emotionally. They sought out their safe spaces, so that they could huddle in their bubbles that they constructed for themselves, and they hid from adversity, rather than facing it head on and overcoming it, and you can just tell when you talk to these people, the moment they get offended, they quickly dissolve into either tirades or tears and are incapable of debating you on anything they disagree with, without resorting to personal attacks.

You see it everywhere today in the new generation of "adults", though I put quotes on that word because emotionally, they act like children anytime they run into something they don't know how to handle, because they were coddled when they were growing up.

I am not making fun of such people, I actually feel rather sad for them, and I wish there was a way to help them, but sadly their emotional growth was stunted back when they could have been getting stronger. And this notion of having to remove everything that is offensive from all media is only perpetuating this madness.

Gypsy robe is based af and if they rename it, so help me God

-i might have to uninstall.

So :red:ing sick of this politically correct clown world we live in.

Especially when nobody gives a :red: about the ones who helped build most of what we know about modern society. A society that wouldn't exist if not for policies and protections put in place by the same majorities that get hated on.

America was one of, if not The First to do away with slavery.

The rest of the world didnt give a :red: until America stopped it.

I can count on no hands the amount of times I've ever heard that message spread...

Romani.

Maybe you should start calling yourself white.

Dont expect any privilege tho. We don't get none. No matter how much we give to others.

If you avoid all confrontation and if you avoid anything that offends you, and if you shut out all opposing viewpoints, your mind will get weak and you will have a very warped perception of the world. This is why such is usually referred to as an "echo chamber" where a person living in one only hears what they themselves believe, and it colors the entire world based upon their perception.
This, at the very least, I can agree with out of what you’ve said. The ‘echo chamber’ issue is one of the great dangers of the modern age. In this current age, we are seeing the political extremes drift farther and farther apart from each other. Instead of genuine and varied different approaches on how to govern, the current incarnations of political parties instead choose their platforms based on divisions in society. Politics has always been a game of cronies, backstabbers, and system-rigging cheaters, but never in the last century has politics been more the battleground it is now. Not since the civil war has the field of North American politics in particular felt like such a polemic struggle.
America was one of, if not The First to do away with slavery.

The rest of the world didnt give a :red: until America stopped it.
I don’t know which version you’ve heard, but in the version I heard, America was rather behind the times in doing away with slavery. If it wasn’t for Eli Whitney’s cotton gin, and the resultant Southern economy boost, it’d probably have been abolished far sooner. And Britain abolished slavery in most parts of their empire well over three decades before the United States did.
Romani.

Maybe you should start calling yourself white.

Dont expect any privilege tho.
I don’t imagine they would. They could call themselves white until the cows come home, and it wouldn’t do anything to stop the bucketloads of oppression heaped upon them by the European majority.

Last edited:
This, at the very least, I can agree with out of what you’ve said. The ‘echo chamber’ issue is one of the great dangers of the modern age. In this current age, we are seeing the political extremes drift farther and farther apart from each other. Instead of genuine and varied different approaches on how to govern, the current incarnations of political parties instead choose their platforms based on divisions in society. Politics has always been a game of cronies, backstabbers, and system-rigging cheaters, but never in the last century has politics been more the battleground it is now. Not since the civil war has the field of North American politics in particular felt like such a polemic struggle.

I don’t know which version you’ve heard, but in the version I heard, America was rather behind the times in doing away with slavery. If it wasn’t for Eli Whitney’s cotton gin, and the resultant Southern economy boost, it’d probably have been abolished far sooner. And Britain abolished slavery in most parts of their empire well over three decades before the United States did.

And there you have it.

Your history was written by your winners and my history was written by my winners.

And to top it off we have random blogs that source anything and everything even if it's not "official" when they bother to source anything at all.

The slavery thing was all economics. Don't let them lie.

Just remember that America as we know it today wasn't a thing then.

Just dont act like it's always been white ppl against black when blacks held themselves back just as much if not more by fighting against themselves for not being black enough back in the day in America.

Hell I grew up with black getting picked on by other blacks being called white as an insult just for speaking with decent Grammer and word pronunciation.

Last edited:
If it’s any consolation, this is one of the best summations of the current division in society that I’ve ever read.

I appreciate it immensely.

I'm just old and tired and didn't expect to find this discussion here of all places. I should've expected the Spanish Inquisition.

inb4 hatemail from Spaniards

I appreciate it immensely.

I'm just old and tired and didn't expect to find this discussion here of all places. I should've expected the Spanish Inquisition.

inb4 hatemail from Spaniards

Yeah, most gamers just wanna play games and not have to worry about what might get removed or changed because of someone getting offended at something. Just wanna play the *bleeeping* game already without someone getting their knickers all bunched up over something tiny like this. It's happened in far too many games that I've played, and sometimes it's just a name change, sometimes it's art censorship (esp when it comes to fanservice), and rarely it's entire pieces of content removed because of some stupid controversy or another.

I just wanna play the game, dammit. When I open a game, I don't want to give a rat's behind about real world politics. I play games to get away from that, not immerse myself in it further.

Yeah, most gamers just wanna play games and not have to worry about what might get removed or changed because of someone getting offended at something. Just wanna play the *bleeeping* game already without someone getting their knickers all bunched up over something tiny like this. It's happened in far too many games that I've played, and sometimes it's just a name change, sometimes it's art censorship (esp when it comes to fanservice), and rarely it's entire pieces of content removed because of some stupid controversy or another.

I just wanna play the game, dammit. When I open a game, I don't want to give a rat's behind about real world politics. I play games to get away from that, not immerse myself in it further.

I know it sounds bad, but it's true.

For young and old alike gaming is a form of escapsim just as much as reading or movies or tv or music or painting or what the hell ever it is you do to unplug from reality for those that need the escape from all the real world things we already deal with on the daily.

Trying to champion a cause through entertainment media is just preaching to the choir.

It's not that the issue doesn't matter; it just doesn't really accomplish anything.

I know it sounds bad, but it's true.

For young and old alike gaming is a form of escapsim just as much as reading or movies or tv or music or painting or what the hell ever it is you do to unplug from reality for those that need the escape from all the real world things we already deal with on the daily.

Trying to champion a cause through entertainment media is just preaching to the choir.

It's not that the issue doesn't matter; it just doesn't really accomplish anything.

Well, it accomplishes something and that something is usually the ire of "normies" who just don't care and don't want to waste their valuable brain cycles on such things when they're trying to escape from their RLs.

Just here to point out that this isn't hypothetical; every Romani organization has big sections asking you to please not use the word Gypsy:

Using the word "Gypsy" is not only inaccurate but perpetuates the continuation of stereotypes that portray Roma as beggars, swindlers, and thieves; thus the phrase: "I've been gypped". The romanticized image of the "Gypsy" is alive and well in song lyrics, novels, costume parties, musical groups, and other forms of cultural imagery: "They are exotic women in colorful skirts, dancing in sensual swirls. They are dark en with smoldering eyes. They are carefree spirits playing the tambourine."(1) They dance by campfires, travel in caravans, tell fortunes with crystal balls or Tarot cards.

But as VOR president Sani Rifati writes:

"I won't play you a sad song on my violin. I do not have a bandana. I do not have a golden tooth. I do not have long hair or a golden hoop in my ear. I am just trying to speak up for my people:
  • to tell you about their suffering and the persecution they've endured throughout the centuries
  • to ask you to fight against ignorance, prejudice and stereotypes
Simply put, as a place to start: please call me Rom."
I wasn't offended by the word personally, but the people it refers to are. You're not a bad person if you didn't know something makes someone else feel bad.

Haven't you ever had a friend that you called by a nickname and then you found out they actually didn't like it? I had a friend called Katie who told me after a year they preferred Katherine and hated Katie. It's so easy just to use Katherine. It's not a big deal, right?

I mean, some of the developers changed their usernames and now their developer set is changing its name. That's not offensive. Why should this be?

Last edited by a moderator:
Just hear to point out that this isn't hypothetical; every Romani organization has big sections asking you to please not use the word Gypsy:

I wasn't offended by the word personally, but the people it refers to are. You're not a bad person if you didn't know something makes someone else feel bad.

Haven't you ever had a friend that you called by a nickname and then you found out they actually didn't like it? I had a friend called Katie who told me after a year they preferred Katherine and hated Katie. It's so easy just to use Katherine. It's not a big deal, right?

I mean, some of the developers changed their usernames and now their developer set is changing its name. That's not offensive. Why should this be?

Except we're not talking about a person here. We are talking about an item that has nothing to do with the Rromani people.

Everybody has nicknames they hate, sure. And yes, you shouldn't use them because that's just rude.

But to single out a word that has meanings that have nothing to do with the Rromani people and insist that nobody use it for any reason, to refer to anything at all, seems a bit ridiculous to me, especially when such a large portion of the English-speaking world probably have no idea what the word means in that context and are only familiar with the common context.

And to be honest, I have never seen a depiction of "gypsies" that were thieves, that played violins, or even had bandanas or golden hoops in their ears. Well, ok maybe I have seen the earrings, but I thought nothing of them. Usually, you see them with a turban and a crystal ball, and a colorful dress, which hardly seems offensive to me. *shrug*

Now, I would agree that nobody should point at a person, especially not a Rromani one, and call them a gypsy. Obviously you shouldn't do that. But to ban all uses of the word in all contexts in all media in the entire world is just.... I can't wrap my head around it. I'm sorry. I just don't agree.

@Xylia, this is irrelevant to the thread, but I love your pfp.

PFP? Not sure what that is.

Back
Top Bottom