Story The Lamentation of the Moon Lord

What should I write next?

• Somthing NOT Terraria based (Probably not on these forums)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Holy Cow! Just read the whole thing, and man, this is a REALLY good story :) Congratulations! This has kept me entertained for the last hour and a bit, as I read the ENTIRE thing.

was that the last chapter...or not?

BTW when you're done, it would be AWESOME if you could publish it!
(It would be awesome even if you dont ~;))

This is fantastic. I want to see the Immortal win so badly, after all, they're us. I would never be able to write something this good.

This is fantastic. I want to see the Immortal win so badly, after all, they're us. I would never be able to write something this good.

Holy Cow! Just read the whole thing, and man, this is a REALLY good story :) Congratulations! This has kept me entertained for the last hour and a bit, as I read the ENTIRE thing.

Hey I'm all with ya

Epiclucas pirate is my thing ~;)

Chapter sixty one: A fishy notion

The Immortal set out once again, on a grand fishing spree to restock on Buffs. The Moon Lord sighed, resting his aches... Both the physical, and the mental. Just how would this end? Maybe, if the Beam of Death deals the finishing blow next time... But that is too much to hope for. Thinking on the endless task that was their conflict, the Moon Lord could do nothing, but watch.

Heading into the Underground Tundra, where it had been infused with the light of the Hallow, the Immortal continued to fish. The Stardust Dragon remained vigilant, killing anything to get near, often before it's master was even aware there was any threat. At one point, a Pigron tried to sneak through the walls, to ambush the intruder upon it's territory. Unlucky for it, the Stardust Dragon could go through walls as well, and had an uncanny sixth sense.

And then the Moon Lord remembered something. There was one, who he had not spoken to in a long time, not even from before the War of the Eclipse. The Pigrons returning might mean that so had he... The Duke.

The Duke had always been a bit too... Violent. The Solar Clan, while eager Warriors, at least knew to savour peace. Not the Duke. He had always flourished in only two things: Water, and battle. It was once said the Duke would only swim in warm, tropical waters, as it reminded him of his preferred liquid to swim through... Something much thicker.

Shuddering, the Moon Lord searched in the deep, unchartable waters off the edge of his realm. And there he was. Returned after years too many to count, there was the Duke. Reaching out to try and converse with his old... Acquaintance, the Moon Lord was met only with snarls and snapping jaws. It appears the Duke had list his cunning over the years... Or perhaps it was his descendant. The Moon Lord could not ever recall the Duke as someone ever to settle down long enough to reproduce.

Turning back to the Immortal, the Moon Lord shrugged it off for now. They were in the process of harvesting and replanting their Pumpkin patch, yet again. The Moon Lord could not fathom why they were stockpiling so much of the stuff. Done with that, they then went to the Dungeon once again, and went inside, much to the Lunar Coven's relief, and his own.

Leaving the Immortal to endlessly slaughter the Undead Horde that begrudgingly tried to hinder their intruder, the Moon Lord pondered. Pumpkin... There was something just on the edge of his memory, yet he could not quite remember...

Post climactic chapter, receive flood of both Comments and new readers. You guys `:passionate:
(Boom) my mind was blown~:confused:
(...) Damn. This is intense. (...)
Glad you all liked the Chapter! `:D Always happy to hear the story continues to be appreciated.

Not the last, so it would seem. Looks like I can keep people guessing, mwahahaha! `:naughty:

Now, as for publishing this... Maybe? `:confused: I would need to rewrite it first, in more depth. Oh, and spell check like mad. Secondly, I would need Re-Logics permission. If both these things happen... Then you might be able to get a published copy! Not to sure how likely it is, though. It would mean official Dev support on what would essentially be merchandise for the game ':eek:

(...) Epiclucas pirate is my thing ~;)
OR, you could both be Pirates... And start a Pirate Invasion! `:p

Chapter sixty two: What's this? What's this?

As the Immortal collected more and more loot from the Dungeon, the Moon Lord racked his memory, trying to figure out just what it was about Pumpkins that was bothering him so... And then, he remembered. It was a prank of his, back when the Lunar Cult was first forming, long before the War. It was the Pumpking.

A puppet, made of vegetable and some cloth, it had been a bit of a cruel prank, but one that had gone on to start some strange traditions... And it may just be what the Moon Lord needed to spice things up. He doubted the Immortal would be felled by such a thing, but scaring them out of their wits would feel most gratifying, after all they had put him through.

And so, the Moon Lord set to work, constructing the Puppet of old... With a few upgrades, and infused with all of his sinister cruelty, intending on giving the Immortal a sleepless night. And he did not stop at one. No, he made a small handful, with the urge to set out, and make more in secret, hiding under the cover of night. They may even make minion of their own, of possessed Pumpkins and Furniture.

Leaving the Pumpkings to expand upon their army, the Moon Lord felt it was still... Lacking. And so, the Moon Lord gathered up Wood that had fallen from the Trees, long since dead and dried. Infusing this Wood with the same power and Cruelty that he had given the Pumkings, and it began to show a slight... Spooky air about it. Raising these Spooky Splinterlings, the Moon Lord let them multiply as well, using fallen deadwood as materials.

Letting the new forces spread out, the Moon Lord was curious as to what would arise from them. Given basic life, and simple purpose, they may evolve in unexpected ways... Or, not at all. Looking back at the Immortal, they had returned, and were dashing to and fro putting stuff away.

Dawn broke, and the immortal began to craft new items for themself. A resupply of Potions, welding trinkets together that they had collected, as to make the most of their abilities. They even managed to get some interesting things from a passing Traveling Merchant, and worked on those as well. And, that done, they pulled out a large clump of Pumpkin, and the Ectoplasm from the Spirits of the Dungeon.

Adding some of the Metal from the Machines, the Immortal created a strange Medallion. It had a slightly Spooky feel to it, one that tugged at the Moon Lord's newest forces. The Moon Lord smirked, seeing the open provocation. Slaying so many of his followers, so loyal they served even after death, for some gaudy Medallion? The Immortal knew of the army the Moon Lord had made, and wanted to try it out. And the Moon Lord felt happy to oblige.

The sun crept to the horizon, and the Immortal finished preparing the Village to make it easy to travel back and forth. Stardust Dragon circling overhead, the Immortal stood in the clearing with Phantasm in hand, awaiting nightfall as they clutched the Medallion.

The Moon Lord called his new, and interesting, army to wait just out of sight, and reached up to the Moon, thinking of weaving a simple illusion over it for a bit of fun. And the Immortal crushed the Medallion underfoot, and the Night of the Pumpkin Moon began.

So, next chapter is going to be a doozy. Already have an interesting idea on how to do it, let's see if any of you pick up on it once it is out `;)

Also, celebratory side note: 750+ likes, 7000+ views, and a crazy amount of comments! `:passionate: I'm curious as to just how large this following will grow, and if it will even stop when the final chapter comes.

Chapter sixty three: Pumpking pie, and spooky splinters

The first of the Pumpking's army to approach the clearing were... Scarecrows. It would seem the Pumpkings had found an alternative use for the Spooky Wood, and had created these bundles of moving hay and twigs, to try and pad out their army. And they barely did that, cut down in seconds by the Stardust Dragon, lazily mowing down a good 2 dozen of them as the Immortal stretched, waiting for bigger foes.

Next up came the Splinterlings themselves, creaking and cracking as they charged the Immortal. With a lazy swing of the Solar Eruption, ant that managed to slip past the Dragon still met their swift end. The Moon Lord glanced around, hoping something stronger would come soon. These small fry would never reach the Immortal, let alone kill them.

And something bigger did come out, something rather surprising: Hellhounds. These beasts burned with an inner fire, and had long been scavengers down in the Underworld, keeping far from any dangers. Normally wary creatures, they now bolted right for the Immortal, making them hop up in their UFO to avoid them. The Moon Lord wasn't entirely sure how the Hellhounds had been recruited to his cause... Perhaps they thought the Splinterlings looked appetizing, and had barked up the wrong tree.

The Waves of enemies continued to fall quickly, drawing out the next sinister challenger... Made of the same Spooky Wood as the Splinterlings, these massive Treants were much more deadly, burning with an inner furnace that they would gladly spew at the Immortal, coating the ground in persistent flames. They must had been Splinterlings that had joined together, or ones born from the fallen Giant Trees. No matter their origin, they began to push at the Immortal, drawing their fire and causing them to switch to the Phantasm.

The lesser enemies milled around the base of the Mourning Wood, and without backup, it soon fell. this called forth the next ghastly opponent, the Poltergeists. Rather than infusing Wood or Vegetables with their cruelty, these cackling creations possessed furniture found in the Abandoned Houses of long ago, swinging anything they could find at the Immortal. They could not reach very high though, and the Immortal's Phantasm was instead zeroed in on the next Mourning Wood that came, letting the Dragon deal with the new... "Threat."

And as before, the felling of the Undead Tree signaled a change in the roster: The Scarecrows ran scared. Being left to the Immortal's pet, unable to even help a little with the fight, had gotten rather demoralizing, so they simply left. The others kept on coming though, and so did the Mourning Woods, spraying their flaming embers everywhere in an attempt to get the Immortal. The Phantasm slowly brought one down, and the Dragon swept back and forth, clearing away the pests that had stayed behind. Just as the second Mourning Wood was about to fall, another joined the fray, to replace it's fallen comrade.

And when the next Mourning Wood fell, the others pulled back, deciding to prioritize refilling the armies ranks for a moment. Nay, instead came something far worse... A Pumpking itself, wielding great Scythes in his Viney hands. The Moon Lord had not given them those, but found it to be a welcome improvement. Starting off with some simple swipes at the Immortal's neck, the Pumpking flew close, as the Mourning Wood from earlier was gnawed on by the Dragon. Then, the Pumpking changed his expression, and heated their Scythes up, sending ripples of flame through the air. The Immortal reached for their first Potion of the Night, and kept on dodging as best they could, returning fire. Then, the Pumpking retreated, and instead spat out some of the Burning Embers that the Mourning Wood had been using, trying to shake the Immortal off.

Sadly, just one Pumpking did not do much against the Immortal, and the falling of this Vegetable Patriarch called more Mourning Wood back into the fray, to try and avenge their almost completely ignored fellow, slain be the Dragon. Another Pumpking came along with them, not giving the Immortal a moment's rest. Focusing their shots on the Pumpking, the Immortal flew upward, as to try and rain their missed shots down on the milling mass of monsters below. A few Mourning Woods were felled, and the Pumpking began to rot, at the cost of quite a few wounds on the Immortal, which the Moon Lord was pleased to see.

And with the felling of another Pumpking, the Immortal fled to the Village, seeking aid from the Nurse. As they had their wounds seen to, the Pumpking's young, Princely Pumpkins that had yet to be combined into their massive fathers, were enraged, and formed steeds out of their power to charge into battle upon. These Headless Horsemen could do little BUT charge though, and the Immortal simply flew over their Pumpkins to battle with their elders. Enraged further by this slight, they could yet do nothing about it as they watched on, slain alongside so many others as another two Pumpkings did battle with the Immortal.

A Pumpking fell, and so did a few Mourning Woods, spurring the army on to attack in even greater numbers. The Immortal spun to face the second Pumpking, only to find a fiery splinter had found it's way into their cockpit, and they plummeted down, to await their respawn. And the Mourning Wood looked around, confused as they sought out their foe. And seeing them reappear in the village, they charged right on over, swarming around the bedroom as the Immortal bolted out, clawing their way to the Nurse in an attempt to be fully revitalized. It was not a pretty sight. The Moon Lord felt a little horrified, yet much, much more pleased, as it took no less then 7 attempts to actually escape the Village, and return to the clearing. And that one only worked due to frantically wearing down the Mourning Wood each respawn, finally thinning the ranks due to the accumulated damaged.

As the Immortal found their way back to the clearing, pushing aside the corpse of another Mourning Wood that had chased on after, the Scarecrows rejoined the fight, moral bolstered by seeing the Immortal suffer the way they had. Sadly for them, high moral or low, the Immortal ignored them still, letting the Dragon deal with them as the Phantasm was swapped back to the Solar Eruption, cleaving through a pair of Pumpkings, and clipping the small swarm of Mourning Wood below. Seeing these aforementioned Giants fall again striped away this new found courage, resulting in the battlefield soon being Scarecrow free once more.

The battle drew on, and the Pumpkinified Moon was on it's descent to the horizon. The Immortal fell once more, resulting in another scramble of Mourning Wood at the Village as the Immortal took another 5 attempts this time. At one point, there were even 3 Pumpkings mingling in the battle, which just made the Solar Eruption all the more effective... And their attacks harder to dodge, resulting in more wounds on both sides.

As yet even more Rotten Pumpkin squelched in small piles on the clearing floor, the smaller Splinterlings and even the Hellhounds began to think similarly to the Scarecrows, departing the Clearing of Slaughter in a hurry. This left more room for the Mourning Wood, banding together to harass the Immortal whenever they dipped to low. The Immortal fell again, but made a hasty departure from the village before the Mourning Wood and Pumpkings could swarm them. The Headless Horsemen stubbornly refused to give in, but upon seeing a small group of Pumpkings all get cut down, the Poltergeists did not share their enthusiasm, going to join the Splinterlings in merely watching.

And then, the first rays of dawn began to peek over the horizon, as the very edge of the Moon touched the mountain range in the distance. The Immortal paled for some reason, and renewed their efforts in bringing the Pumpkings down, ignoring the Mourning Wood and Headless Horsemen below completely. First one fell. Then another. And a few Mourning Wood were torn apart by the Dragon's mighty jaws. The Moon sunk even lower, and the Moon Lord straightened, getting ready to call everyone back.

And another Pumpking fell, and even the Horsemen began to feel both fear and despair, withdrawing from the battlefield, leaving only the Mourning Wood and the fresher Pumpkings to fight. And at that very moment, dawn broke properly, the Moon no longer visible at all. And the Moon Lord called the night to an end, commanding the forces still present to flee, to return another night. And the clearing emptied, leaving only the Immortal, standing alone.

IT IS FINALLY DONE. `:confused:

Well, that took a while. I would apologize for all the puns, but that is part of what makes Terraria awesome `:p Not to mention, imagining your cringing faces as you near the end is so very satisfying `;)

~o_ODerunih don't you think it's a bit late for the pumpkin moon?
He just tried to defeat the moon lord~:confused:
You... You don't want Pumpkin Moon? `:cry: On a more serious note, this is still (loosely) based off of my playthrough. The Moon Events aren't required, and I did them later on as a bit of fun. So, that is exactly what the Immortal is doing. Taking a break (Kinda) before the next Moon Lord attempt `:D

EDIT: Just copied the chapter into Word, to do a character count. I was curious as to if I neared the 10,000 cap. 8,500+ characters ':eek: To give context, the Golem, a pretty large chapter, only took up 6,500ish. And that took an hour solid to write. I kinda wish I timed this one, now...

Hey I never said I didn't enjoy a pumpkin moon~;)

Speaking of moon I get a feeling duke fishtron is coming,but what about the frost moon?~:confused:

Back
Top Bottom