Map-Adventure The Little Adventures of Terraria

Dr. Death is a mean bean

• Agreed!

• Disagreed!

• I will tear his guts out of his chest / He seems like a nice fellow!

Results are only viewable after voting.

CHICKENmage55

Terrarian
Defeat Dr. Death, the one who murdered your partner. Use your agents abilities to go on an adventure in, The Little Adventure of Terraria.

upload_2018-8-25_13-48-2.png

upload_2018-8-25_13-48-19.png

upload_2018-8-25_13-48-41.png

Are you ready?

Attachments

• My_First_Map.wld
    2.6 MB · Views: 477
Last edited:
I have played the map. I'll be honest - I did not enjoy it. But that's okay! The last thing I want to do is discourage people from making maps. Truth is, it was a good effort for a first map. The story was very bare-bones, but a good story/lore isn't necessary for a high-quality map. The builds were decent, it's clear some effort was put into it (could have used some light in places though). The main problem I had with the map was challenge/balance.

Hidden/hard to reach chests with stronger gear is great, but if you want the chests to be optional, you should not include gear that is significantly stronger or provides a clear advantage over gear from "mandatory" chests. A big example is the grappling hook. Be very careful giving these out in adventure maps, as they can completely break a poorly-built map or remove the challenge from it altogether. In this case, it made the "hell" section an absolute joke (and I'm not sure if it's even possible to get past the hellstone brick floor without it).

Another thing is providing different weaponry/armor without giving the player a chance to use it. Each section is very short and compact, so the chance of mobs spawning within them are very slim. You could either build large, open areas to traverse that fill up with mobs naturally, make the existing areas slightly larger and use statue spawners, or shift the focus entirely to traps/obstacles and provide only things like potions and heart crystals in the bonus chests to make these challenges slightly easier. The placement of some of these chests is strange as well; some are impossible to reach/loot without using autopause in singleplayer (or having cat-like reflexes and clicking "loot all" which will undesirably stack together all of the things meant for multiple players).

You could say that the gear is meant for the final boss fight, but from what I've noticed, with only the "mandatory" chest loot the fight would be very difficult if not outright impossible, but the fight would be trivial using all of the bonus gear at the player's disposal. If that was the intention, the two extremes should be shifted much closer together; provide better gear in the standard chests, and in the bonus chests gear that is an improvement but not a substantial one.

One more major thing worth noting: At the very start of the map when you fall into the lake surrounded by meteors, I encountered a sandstorm, which made moving through the water extremely slow. I could not make it to the tunnel without drowning. I believe you could prevent this by placing walls behind the lake.

Overall, the map was fine, but very short and easy. Kudos for sharing the map despite this; it's good to get your early work out there so you can start collecting constructive criticism and aim to improve. I hope my advice is helpful and I look forward to seeing any future creations of yours!

I have played the map. I'll be honest - I did not enjoy it. But that's okay! The last thing I want to do is discourage people from making maps. Truth is, it was a good effort for a first map. The story was very bare-bones, but a good story/lore isn't necessary for a high-quality map. The builds were decent, it's clear some effort was put into it (could have used some light in places though). The main problem I had with the map was challenge/balance.

Hidden/hard to reach chests with stronger gear is great, but if you want the chests to be optional, you should not include gear that is significantly stronger or provides a clear advantage over gear from "mandatory" chests. A big example is the grappling hook. Be very careful giving these out in adventure maps, as they can completely break a poorly-built map or remove the challenge from it altogether. In this case, it made the "hell" section an absolute joke (and I'm not sure if it's even possible to get past the hellstone brick floor without it).

Another thing is providing different weaponry/armor without giving the player a chance to use it. Each section is very short and compact, so the chance of mobs spawning within them are very slim. You could either build large, open areas to traverse that fill up with mobs naturally, make the existing areas slightly larger and use statue spawners, or shift the focus entirely to traps/obstacles and provide only things like potions and heart crystals in the bonus chests to make these challenges slightly easier. The placement of some of these chests is strange as well; some are impossible to reach/loot without using autopause in singleplayer (or having cat-like reflexes and clicking "loot all" which will undesirably stack together all of the things meant for multiple players).

You could say that the gear is meant for the final boss fight, but from what I've noticed, with only the "mandatory" chest loot the fight would be very difficult if not outright impossible, but the fight would be trivial using all of the bonus gear at the player's disposal. If that was the intention, the two extremes should be shifted much closer together; provide better gear in the standard chests, and in the bonus chests gear that is an improvement but not a substantial one.

One more major thing worth noting: At the very start of the map when you fall into the lake surrounded by meteors, I encountered a sandstorm, which made moving through the water extremely slow. I could not make it to the tunnel without drowning. I believe you could prevent this by placing walls behind the lake.

Overall, the map was fine, but very short and easy. Kudos for sharing the map despite this; it's good to get your early work out there so you can start collecting constructive criticism and aim to improve. I hope my advice is helpful and I look forward to seeing any future creations of yours!
Thank you for your feedback, I am glad that you told me these problems. I know it was a little bad(horrible), but I did put a lot of effort into it, Once again, thank you.
[doublepost=1536429465,1536429325][/doublepost]

Btw it was possible on the hellstone floor.
[doublepost=1536429747][/doublepost]
Thank you for your feedback, I am glad that you told me these problems. I know it was a little bad(horrible), but I did put a lot of effort into it, Once again, thank you.
[doublepost=1536429465,1536429325][/doublepost]
Btw it was possible on the hellstone floor.
If I were to friend you on Steam, would you help me build a map?

This map is pretty bad, playable, but bad. It's too short, one chest is missing (i think), i didn't get a silver breastplate. Also i need to use autopause/need more life to get the first golden chest in the temple.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom