Weapons & Equip The Lunar Edge - A Barrier-Creating Knife

Athrisir

Terrarian
*Witty introduction*
Hello TCF, Giga here! I'm back with a new sword for you guys. I never know how to start these things so let's jump right into it!

New Piskel (15).png

Lunar Edge
100 Melee damage
35% crit chance
Insane knockback
Normal speed
No autoswing

When you press right click, a ghostly blue barrier about one block thick and that extends the entire height of the world appears where your cursor is. Only one barrier can be active at one time.

Enemies can walk through this barrier, however, an enemy struck by the sword will receive a debuff that makes them glow in blue, which allows them to come into contact with the barrier. Upon contact they will take more damage and get knocked back towards you, allowing you to hit them again, so you effectively are playing tennis with them as the ball. The enemy will always travel in an upward trajectory and the debuff ends when an enemy touches solid ground.

The thing that makes the sword worth it (besides fun!) is that each time you strike the enemy after it hits the barrier, the sword gets a damage boost of 20% that stacks up to 100%.

So how do you craft this tennis racket knife of death? Easy! You need only a few simple things at your ancient manipulator:

-12 luminite bars
-12 spectre bars
-6 of each fragment

So that's it! I hope you enjoyed it, sorry if this was a lengthy read. Leave your thoughts below, and please try to explain why or why not you support this suggestion, as I cannot improve without feedback.

Giga out! *Drops mic*

Last edited:
*Witty introduction*
Hello TCF, Giga here! I'm back with a new sword for you guys. I never know how to start these things so let's jump right into it!

[Sprite]
Lunar Edge
100 Melee damage
35% crit chance
Insane knockback
Very Fast speed

When the sword is swung, a ghostly blue barrier about one block thick and that extends the entire height of the world appears where your cursor is. Only one barrier can be active at one time.

Enemies can walk through this barrier, however, if an enemy struck by the sword is knocked into the barrier, they will take more damage and get knocked back towards you, allowing you to hit them again, so you effectively are playing tennis with them as the ball. The enemy will always travel in an upward trajectory and will be able to pass though the barrier once again after touching the ground.

The thing that makes the sword worth it (besides fun!) is that each time you strike the enemy after it hits the barrier, the sword gets a damage boost of 20% that stacks up to 100%.

So how do you craft this tennis racket knife of death? Easy! You need only a few simple things at your ancient manipulator:

-12 luminite bars
-12 spectre bars
-6 of each fragment

So that's it! I hope you enjoyed it, sorry if this was a lengthy read. Leave your thoughts below, and please try to explain why or why not you support this suggestion, as I cannot improve without feedback.

Giga out! *Drops mic*
So following what you are saying here, the blue barrier is not on the foreground, but behaves like a foreground object when the target is in the air? That alone would be difficult to code, unless the Lunar Edge would provide a couple Debuffs for when the target is knocked up by it.

Upward Trajectory... Are you suggesting 90* on a Unit Circle, or do you mean 45* (Don't know how to do the degree symbol, sorry). And when they bounce off the barrier, would the continue said trajectory, or would gravity take over again?

Stacking damage, an intriguing but difficult thing to balance. 100 -> 200 when attacking the same target is fine, coupled with the 35% crit rate makes this a decent damage weapon. I would suggest reducing the Attack Speed to Normal, as this would make it more skill based and not running at your enemy. Thanks for hearing me out.

So following what you are saying here, the blue barrier is not on the foreground, but behaves like a foreground object when the target is in the air? That alone would be difficult to code, unless the Lunar Edge would provide a couple Debuffs for when the target is knocked up by it.

Upward Trajectory... Are you suggesting 90* on a Unit Circle, or do you mean 45* (Don't know how to do the degree symbol, sorry). And when they bounce off the barrier, would the continue said trajectory, or would gravity take over again?

Stacking damage, an intriguing but difficult thing to balance. 100 -> 200 when attacking the same target is fine, coupled with the 35% crit rate makes this a decent damage weapon. I would suggest reducing the Attack Speed to Normal, as this would make it more skill based and not running at your enemy. Thanks for hearing me out.
Thanks for your feedback!
As for the trajectory, it would be a 45 degree arc.
As for the debuff, that would be a great idea!

In other news, here's a sprite:
New Piskel (15).png

The sword is rather small so that makes up for some of the high damage

EDIT:
Some other changes:
-The barrier now activates upon a right click
-The sword gives a debuff that makes enemies come into contact with the barrier
-Speed reduced and autoswing removed

Last edited:
I really like this idea, and it seems like a fun weapon to mess around with! However, how would it work in multiplayer? Would we be able to encase monsters between two walls and see them rise to infinity? (As they would get a bit higher every time they touched the barrier)

I really like this idea, and it seems like a fun weapon to mess around with! However, how would it work in multiplayer? Would we be able to encase monsters between two walls and see them rise to infinity? (As they would get a bit higher every time they touched the barrier)
Yep! It would not work on players though

Very interesting idea.

I think it'd be better if you'd change it if the barrier only extends from the top of your screen to the bottom.

Support, nevertheless.

*Witty introduction*

View attachment 121859
Lunar Edge
100 Melee damage
35% crit chance
Insane knockback
Normal speed
No autoswing

When you press right click, a ghostly blue barrier about one block thick and that extends the entire height of the world appears where your cursor is. Only one barrier can be active at one time.

Enemies can walk through this barrier, however, an enemy struck by the sword will receive a debuff that makes them glow in blue, which allows them to come into contact with the barrier. Upon contact they will take more damage and get knocked back towards you, allowing you to hit them again, so you effectively are playing tennis with them as the ball. The enemy will always travel in an upward trajectory and the debuff ends when an enemy touches solid ground.

-12 luminite bars
-12 spectre bars
-6 of each fragment

Giga out! *Drops mic*
I took a shot at remaking the sprite
LunarEdge.png

I made a version with a white outline if anyone has trouble viewing it
LunarEdgeVisible.png

I duno about the idea, it seems rly cool at first but it may be a bit OP
It would single handedly be one of the best swords in the game and if the damage was doubled and if it preformed a critical it could kill a lot of bosses super easy but considering that the knock back wont work on a lot of these hard mode bosses it is reasonable
But im still not sure for suporting this one because it could use a few minor nerfs...

I duno about the idea, it seems rly cool at first but it may be a bit OP
It would single handedly be one of the best swords in the game and if the damage was doubled and if it preformed a critical it could kill a lot of bosses super easy but considering that the knock back wont work on a lot of these hard mode bosses it is reasonable
But im still not sure for suporting this one because it could use a few minor nerfs...
Bosses shouldn't be an issue by the time you get this, and even then they don't take knockback so it's useless against them.

Once again, I respect your opinion. But are you making these comments out of spite that I didn't support your idea? I can't help but wonder.

Bosses shouldn't be an issue by the time you get this, and even then they don't take knockback so it's useless against them.

Once again, I respect your opinion. But are you making these comments out of spite that I didn't support your idea? I can't help but wonder.
No it is just that im searching through some ideas around the forums and your ideas are really interesting and the weapons seem really fun to use im sorry if you taken my criticism offensive in any way and i did wright that idea of mine at night without really putting much thought into it as i thought that it would be cool to have a new event implemented into the game...
But your sword idea isn't as OP against bosses but it will shread through anything else...
None the less still a great idea :happy:

No it is just that im searching through some ideas around the forums and your ideas are really interesting and the weapons seem really fun to use im sorry if you taken my criticism offensive in any way and i did wright that idea of mine at night without really putting much thought into it as i thought that it would be cool to have a new event implemented into the game...
But your sword idea isn't as OP against bosses but it will shread through anything else...
None the less still a great idea :happy:
Yeah, it's supposed to be a little fun sword you can play around with. I will consider lowering the original damage, since by the time it's doubled from the knockback that's enough to kill most non-expert enemies.

Back
Top Bottom