tModLoader The Lunatic

hey i have a question for this mod it tells me to kill a buncha foreigners and their pet flying lizard and i have literally no clue which boss that could be can anyone help me ?

Hello! I have a problem, it's about the Magic Storage mod and The Lunatic mod. When I save a mask into the storage and then I leave the world, the MS mod crashes, and that is related with the Mask. (Mask of another mods, like Calamity, causes the crash). And I have to delete the world, 'cuz haven't a backup.

Hello! I have a problem, it's about the Magic Storage mod and The Lunatic mod. When I save a mask into the storage and then I leave the world, the MS mod crashes, and that is related with the Mask. (Mask of another mods, like Calamity, causes the crash). And I have to delete the world, 'cuz haven't a backup.
I'll look into it, but that seems weird.

I'm having a small problem, I have multiple mods installed and It seems to work just fine. But when I enable The Lunatic Mod and The Helper Mod, I lose control of my character and button inputs. (Can't move, cant press esc, no items. etc) I can only type in the chat, Is there something specific i need to do to fix this?

I'm having a small problem, I have multiple mods installed and It seems to work just fine. But when I enable The Lunatic Mod and The Helper Mod, I lose control of my character and button inputs. (Can't move, cant press esc, no items. etc) I can only type in the chat, Is there something specific i need to do to fix this?
When this happens, can you send me your Logs.txt file, and a list of your enabled mods (enabled.json)? Also, Mod Helpers has an option to send issue reports in-game. If you can access the control panel (top left corner icon), try doing this a well?

How do i access my Logs.txt file.

Boss CheckList v0.1.6.1
Mod Helpers v2.1.0.2
The Lunatic v1.3.1
Yet Another Boss Health Bar v1.3.2
Recipe Browser v0.7

(Bigger ones)
Calamity Mod v1.3.4.1
Thorium Mod v1.5.0.4
Tremor Mod Remastered v1.3.2.7

Recently tried again, there was no control panel on the top left.

How do i access my Logs.txt file.

Boss CheckList v0.1.6.1
Mod Helpers v2.1.0.2
The Lunatic v1.3.1
Yet Another Boss Health Bar v1.3.2
Recipe Browser v0.7

(Bigger ones)
Calamity Mod v1.3.4.1
Thorium Mod v1.5.0.4
Tremor Mod Remastered v1.3.2.7

Recently tried again, there was no control panel on the top left.
Your Mod Helpers version is out of date, and Lunatic isn't properly doing a version dependency check, somehow...

Hey uh... So a few things.
First off, the auto-generated masks are incredibly awkward. Honestly, they shouldn't be equippable because most just look stupid.
An alternative would be to somehow check if the boss has an item with "Mask" in the name in their drop pool. If they do, that texture is used instead of their minimap icon.
Also perhaps add a "generic mask" texture as a final fallback because some mods seem to have bosses that don't have a minimap icon, and as such the dropped mask is invisible. Assuming any of that is possible. I dunno if it is.

The second thing being that I'd really like some more configs. I've been using the "Moon Lord Mask Wins" option primarily to avoid needing to do the slow, grindy, and often unfair to 80% of playstyles (not to mention nearly unwinnable if you don't do it at all until the 3rd tier) DD2 event to get Betsy's mask. It would be nice if there were options like: "Disclude [boss]: true" for each vanilla boss mask. Also perhaps an option to stop "non-standard" (modded) bosses from dropping masks altogether, to make large modpacks with lots of bosses a bit more difficult and stop you from stocking up on days by beating like 5 bosses that are all the same tier.

The third being that his boss summoner items are excessively overpriced, especially considering he only sells them after you've beaten the boss and he only accepts masks once, meaning you can't use them to farm masks or anything. If anything they should at least be 1/2 as expensive. Or at least have a config option to change that.

And finally, I assume it's because I was using the above "Moon Lord Mask Wins" option and non-enforced progression, but when I finished, having gotten every mask except Betsy's, he didn't reward me, and said he still had 1 mask needed. Upon closing dialogue with him though, it counted me as having won and the "Give mask" option disappeared. I did the DD2 event anyway just in case, but couldn't give Betsy's mask to him. The Apocalypse didn't come so I can only assume that he did count me as having won, but didn't reward me because I didn't have every single mask.
And of course, since I don't really want to do another entire playthrough just to finally try the darn reward out, I tried giving it to myself via Cheat Sheet. Of course, that didn't work since it's cheating and the item has anti-cheat measures... Even if you've stopped the apocalypse and therefore have every right to have it. Rather annoying. If people are just going to cheat in an item, then they can just as easily use godmode mods to beat all the bosses in a few minutes and get the "legit" reward, so I don't see why this is a necessary measure. But eh.

Hey uh... So a few things.
First off, the auto-generated masks are incredibly awkward. Honestly, they shouldn't be equippable because most just look stupid.
An alternative would be to somehow check if the boss has an item with "Mask" in the name in their drop pool. If they do, that texture is used instead of their minimap icon.
Also perhaps add a "generic mask" texture as a final fallback because some mods seem to have bosses that don't have a minimap icon, and as such the dropped mask is invisible. Assuming any of that is possible. I dunno if it is.
I'd welcome help with this feature in particular, as you've noted, it's not straightforward to get modded bosses to be accounted for. Not all bosses drop their own mask, and I could not get a non-buggy/hackish method of detecting drops to work to be able to infer mask items (never mind keeping up with their naming conventions). I could probably (eventually) get a second look at this, and come up with a better solution, but I'm highly busy at the moment.

The second thing being that I'd really like some more configs. I've been using the "Moon Lord Mask Wins" option primarily to avoid needing to do the slow, grindy, and often unfair to 80% of playstyles (not to mention nearly unwinnable if you don't do it at all until the 3rd tier) DD2 event to get Betsy's mask. It would be nice if there were options like: "Disclude [boss]: true" for each vanilla boss mask. Also perhaps an option to stop "non-standard" (modded) bosses from dropping masks altogether, to make large modpacks with lots of bosses a bit more difficult and stop you from stocking up on days by beating like 5 bosses that are all the same tier.
I'll have to resume work on this proper, but I can definitely add more configuration options like these.

The third being that his boss summoner items are excessively overpriced, especially considering he only sells them after you've beaten the boss and he only accepts masks once, meaning you can't use them to farm masks or anything. If anything they should at least be 1/2 as expensive. Or at least have a config option to change that.
Alright, should be simple enough to at least add a config adjustment option for. I just didn't want him to be a viable option to cheese bosses (like, the money you earn from a boss kill lets you buy another of its summon items, or something). Get other mods if you want that.

And finally, I assume it's because I was using the above "Moon Lord Mask Wins" option and non-enforced progression, but when I finished, having gotten every mask except Betsy's, he didn't reward me, and said he still had 1 mask needed. Upon closing dialogue with him though, it counted me as having won and the "Give mask" option disappeared. I did the DD2 event anyway just in case, but couldn't give Betsy's mask to him. The Apocalypse didn't come so I can only assume that he did count me as having won, but didn't reward me because I didn't have every single mask.
And of course, since I don't really want to do another entire playthrough just to finally try the darn reward out, I tried giving it to myself via Cheat Sheet. Of course, that didn't work since it's cheating and the item has anti-cheat measures... Even if you've stopped the apocalypse and therefore have every right to have it. Rather annoying. If people are just going to cheat in an item, then they can just as easily use godmode mods to beat all the bosses in a few minutes and get the "legit" reward, so I don't see why this is a necessary measure. But eh.
The anti cheat option is what I call a "picket fence" measure against general cheating; if you want to work around, you'll be mildly inconvenienced, but nothing I can do within reason can really stop someone from cheating.

Anyway, that sounds like a bug, but I'd have to comb the whole code to fix it properly, and I can't do that right now. Again, help would be appreciated, as the code is open source.

I'll be making another version of this shortly to implement newer Helpers stuff and add your suggestions (as well as remove snake case code, since this seems like a big deal somehow).

I'd welcome help with this feature in particular, as you've noted, it's not straightforward to get modded bosses to be accounted for. Not all bosses drop their own mask, and I could not get a non-buggy/hackish method of detecting drops to work to be able to infer mask items (never mind keeping up with their naming conventions). I could probably (eventually) get a second look at this, and come up with a better solution, but I'm highly busy at the moment.
Yeah, I understand it wouldn't be easy, though for naming conventions - again I don't know how doable this is - could you do a search for the word "Mask" and it having the label "Equippable"? I suppose if it was that simple you would have done so already. I would help if I could, but unfortunately I know very little about XNA, and even less about tModLoader's codebase.

I'll have to resume work on this proper, but I can definitely add more configuration options like these.
That would be appreciated.

Alright, should be simple enough to at least add a config adjustment option for. I just didn't want him to be a viable option to cheese bosses (like, the money you earn from a boss kill lets you buy another of its summon items, or something). Get other mods if you want that.
I can definitely understand that, and I did think of that while writing that section. However, it's not a huge concern, as it's already pretty easy to farm resources for some boss' summoners, to get the money to buy another boss' summoner, and as you've stated, many other mods do this already to some extent. But yeah, a config set to the current values by default would be enough to stop many people from cheesing that way with this mod in particular.

The anti cheat option is what I call a "picket fence" measure against general cheating; if you want to work around, you'll be mildly inconvenienced, but nothing I can do within reason can really stop someone from cheating.

Anyway, that sounds like a bug, but I'd have to comb the whole code to fix it properly, and I can't do that right now. Again, help would be appreciated, as the code is open source.

I'll be making another version of this shortly to implement newer Helpers stuff and add your suggestions (as well as remove snake case code, since this seems like a big deal somehow).
Thank you for the consideration of my ideas, and again, I wish I could help with the coding but it's really outside my area of ameteur-coding-expertise. I may look into XNA a bit though, as making a Terraria mod has been something I've been interested in for quite some time. And I may still take a look later, as assuming it's not too different from many other programming languages, I may be able to at least find the part that causes it.
And as for the bug, that's fine, don't worry. It's not a big deal, I was just disappointed that I couldn't finally find out what the [Spoiler Item] does. I may speedrun another world to find out later if I still feel like it. But definitely note it down somewhere for when you do have the time to work on it, since that is a pretty big issue for people fiddling with the config before playing.

Edit:
Also perhaps an option to stop "non-standard" (modded) bosses from dropping masks altogether, to make large modpacks with lots of bosses a bit more difficult and stop you from stocking up on days by beating like 5 bosses that are all the same tier.

Also whoops, I missed this config option but it's already a thing.
I'd like to ammend this suggestion by instead suggesting a multiplier for modded bosses. Like the WoF Multiplier and Hardmode Multiplier, but one which only affects modded bosses. Like:
"ModdedMaskMultiplier": 0.5
Or something to that effect. To allow keeping modded boss mask drops, but making them inherintly less effective.

Last edited:
Minor update for some internal tweaks and debug outputs. Honestly, I'm probably not going to do further work on this mod for a while, since Adventure Mode and other projects have taken priority.

v1.4.1
  • Updated for TML11.5
  • Added FloatInputElement for float config settings
  • Added ranges to some config settings
v1.4.0.2
  • Consolidated custom boss mask code into modded item
  • Added failsafes for custom boss mask loading
  • Added failsafes for mask logic code
v1.4.0.1
  • Attempted fix for a crash error involving loading custom boss masks
v1.4.0
  • Updated to TML11.4 and MH5b
  • Added config unavailability failsafe tweaks
v1.3.1.3
  • Restructure Lunatic NPC's code files
  • Wrapped thrown exceptions for log outputs
  • Added mod dependency major version validation on mod load
  • Streamlined Mod.Call
  • Switched from snake case to camel case
  • Fixed 'MoonLordMaskWins' config setting victory condition
  • Fixed API

Attachments

• TheLunatic v1.3.1.3.zip
    306.8 KB · Views: 241
  • TheLunatic v1.4.0.zip
    384.9 KB · Views: 86
  • TheLunatic v1.4.0.1.zip
    384.1 KB · Views: 122
  • TheLunatic v1.4.0.2.zip
    384.2 KB · Views: 108
  • TheLunatic v1.4.1.zip
    384.9 KB · Views: 341
Last edited:
A-aaah, yikes. Okay soooooo this one is... Interesting.
So... I loaded a multiplayer world.
We had the same configs, same version, both of us on new characters.
Sometimes the server was left running with nobody present. I spent a couple ingame days alone working on a house.
And well, we recently checked and not only was time moving a LOT faster than it should have (we went from 12 days remaining to 8 days remaining in like an hour which doesn't feel right at all) but I quickly found out our times are also horribly desynced, with her having 8 days left while I had 3, despite checking at the same time.
So... Something is buggered multiplayer-wise. I have absolutely no idea what though.
unknown.png

unknown.png

A-aaah, yikes. Okay soooooo this one is... Interesting.
So... I loaded a multiplayer world.
We had the same configs, same version, both of us on new characters.
Sometimes the server was left running with nobody present. I spent a couple ingame days alone working on a house.
And well, we recently checked and not only was time moving a LOT faster than it should have (we went from 12 days remaining to 8 days remaining in like an hour which doesn't feel right at all) but I quickly found out our times are also horribly desynced, with her having 8 days left while I had 3, despite checking at the same time.
So... Something is buggered multiplayer-wise. I have absolutely no idea what though.
unknown.png

unknown.png
Honestly, that's the sort of thing I'd redo the mod for sooner than try to debug, at this point. Not sure if this mod is aging or anything like that, but I've definitely improved my coding practices since then, and I don't really want to shoot in the dark trying to guess at how to fix everything.

Not sure where I can get the time to do that, though. If anyone wants to take a crack at debugging, they're free to do so. Meanwhile, maybe this would be better off as a single player mod, for the time being.

Wait... didn’t you say the lunatic wouldn’t spawn if a main boss is defeated? So can’t you just speedrun EoC and keep him from spawning? Or would he spawn to soon?

Also, why don’t you just post it on the mod browser instead of making it a file that you have to manually install into tmod

Back
Top Bottom