Weapons & Equip The Magnet Sword

What do you think of it?

• 100% Perfect. All hail the Magnet Sword.

• I have just a small nitpick/change. (elaborate)

• I think you should've gone with one or multiple of those extra ideas. (elaborate)

• I think you should've gone with an extra/alternate idea not listed. (elaborate)

• Theres a flaw in its basic idea. (elaborate)

• gggrRARAHGHGH BAD IDEA BAD NO I HATE IT AND WONT SAY WHY

• Theres already something exactly the same/super similar! (elaborate with link)

Results are only viewable after voting.

MadmanLava

Spazmatism
Magnet Sword
D3EY4Hf.png

From: Honestly, I have no idea where this should drop/be crafted with. Probably underground drop. Feel free to leave suggestions, though keep in mind its designed for "Late Prehardmode"
Damage: 20 (~32 for projectile, ~10 for each subfragment)
Knockback: Average
Use Time: Slow
Projectile Velocity: ~10(about the speed of the Ice Blade's beam)
Tooltip: Draws in a hunk of ore to strike your enemies, shattering on impact. Also draws in any coins.
Notes: Perhaps draws in items on-screen somewhat with each swing.

If you havent gathered yet, instead of firing some sort of projectile, the Magnet Sword draws in a projectile from offscreen. Yes, I am aware some swords also do this, but have annoying downsides(the starfury series is useless in caves, and the Horseman's Blade's projectiles are in a different style to most sword projectiles). The Magnet Sword rips out a small chunk of ore from offscreen and hurls it in your direction(this means that on the surface, it always originates from below). The hunk of ore travels through blocks until reaching the player's position, or hitting an enemy, at which point it shatters into 3-5 fragments that are scattered in all directions, each penetrating up to one enemy and breaking upon colliding with blocks.

This means that the Magnet Sword is highly effective in underground environments, and when dealing with crowds of enemies. However, its slow speed, slightly unpredictable projectile, and unimpressive direct damage means that the blade itself is not ideal for attacking individual enemies.

Additional ideas I came up with but haven't factored into this proposal to stop it from being too long:
  • Randomly choosing which type of ore to draw in, affecting damage, and becoming stronger in hardmode by being able to draw in hardmore ores instead for double damage.
  • Drawing in a hunk of ore that first sticks to the sword and slows you down before you hurl it away at enemies.
  • Attracting armored/metal enemies towards you on swing.
  • Bonus damage to armored or metal enemies, perhaps inflicting Broken Armor.
  • Some sort of visual effect like shadow armor when swung.

Sidenote: The sprite is made with the NES palette. Considering reworking it to remove the outline, which contrasts with the blade.

CONSTRUCTIVE feedback is welcome! (please dont nag on the sprite I know its bad)

Pretty cool to see an idea for a weapon that works better underground. Though it sounds a lot more like a magic weapon, to be honest.

To make its melee nature serve more of a purpose, I would try to rework it as a Magnetic “Club”, and try to introduce a mechanic that involves hitting the ore with the club itself for a bonus effect. We’re already going to play golf in the next update, so why not baseball, too?

Pretty cool to see an idea for a weapon that works better underground. Though it sounds a lot more like a magic weapon, to be honest.

To make its melee nature serve more of a purpose, I would try to rework it as a Magnetic “Club”, and try to introduce a mechanic that involves hitting the ore with the club itself for a bonus effect. We’re already going to play golf in the next update, so why not baseball, too?

Hmm, not a bad idea, I did briefly consider making it a magic weapon, but thought that would remove the originality it has by being specifically a projectile sword. I liked the idea of a semiearly projectile sword built around crowd control rather than individual damage, as opposed to almost every other projectile sword, but the baseball bat functionality interests me. Perhaps I will add an alternate version of the proposal in here thats more of a Magnet Bat.

The whole idea is definitely very malleable, as it started out as "Inverse Beam Sword" that sucked in a magic bolt from offscreen until I played with the sprite and accidentally made that magnet shape you see there.

Back
Top Bottom