Other Game The Mario Kart 8 Thread

What do you think of Mario Kart 8?

• Its.... okay, I guess.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meh.

• Its bad!

• It's supercalafragalisticexpialadoshusly horrible!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Personally I think MK8 might be the best to date! (To be fair I never really got that interested with battle mode because I've got no friends ;( )

I rented it and was really disappointed. Half of the characters are basically just the same thing (Koopalings). It just didn't feel like it fit with a console to me.
I didn't play much though, so I might have a different opinion if I play it again.

Battle mode is sadly a major disappoint compared to past Mario Kart battle modes since it takes place on the race courses, rather than dedicated courses made for battle. It really slows down the game play and makes it so time-out is the most common end to battle mode. I'm glad they allow you to be ghost who can't get points, but can still knock people out of the game.
As for actual online racing: It's great. Save for the moments of Nintendo Lag*. I mostly play with two friends from another forum (I made it my goal to get 100 wins against them both and have gotten it since setting that goal.) I really enjoy Mario Kart 8, save for how the items work. Sometimes despite being further behind, you still get worthless items for your situation.
*An example of Nintendo Lag: I was racing on Donut Plains 3 today. On the final lap, I was in first and had finished the race. However, I did not get first on the results screen. I ended up with second place, while the person in THIRD, note not the person in second, the person in third, somehow got first place.

:)
I agree with you about how the battle mode was a massive dissapoint, especially since I have loved battles ever since the first MK game.

That's a problem with the game when it lags.

Nintendo thankfully has a unique method of handling lag compared to other places which just disconnect you. Each player has their own unique start and finish time, and based on their lag, they will have a different start and finish time from other players, which on occasion is capable of altering where someone finished as seen with my last post. However your position on the course is still a constant, so you are still hit by red shells and such despite being in slightly different spots than what other people see. It's the reason why someone can get hit by a green shell on your screen but have nothing happen, and a green shall can hit them on their end, but miss on your end.

i really like the game but i think it ruined a few stages that were old and i liked very few new tracks

i like the characters and the vehicles and i think the horn is fun to mess around with

probably has the best courses, graphics, and items (not to mention the dlc), but the characters are meh

The only two things worth it from what I've seen is the items and the DLC (Captain Falcon AND Link? This day keeps getting better!)

I'd try it if I could, but I do not own a Wii U. Best I've got is a Wii.

Sorry if criticizing a game before trying it is wrong, but even the trailers don't appeal to me except for the items and the DLC.
I'd recommend even Hyrule Warriors over this. Not saying either are BAD games, but I just prefer Hyrule Warriors.

Maybe it's the chance to play as Darunia that gets me...

I have heard that new tracks are coming out for Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. I likely won't buy the DLC personally since I haven't played a lot of what already exists in Mario Kart 8, but it is neat how it was brought to the Switch awhile ago. It ended up being my 1st game for the Switch. Just as Mario Kart DS was one of my 1st games for the Nintendo DS. Its sort of a tradition of mine to always have Mario Kart with each new Nintendo console I get.

I have heard that new tracks are coming out for Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. I likely won't buy the DLC personally since I haven't played a lot of what already exists in Mario Kart 8, but it is neat how it was brought to the Switch awhile ago. It ended up being my 1st game for the Switch. Just as Mario Kart DS was one of my 1st games for the Nintendo DS. Its sort of a tradition of mine to always have Mario Kart with each new Nintendo console I get.
The tracks have been out since thursday, but they became playable in random online matches today. The cool thing is that you don't need to buy the DLC to play them online, but from what I've seen so far, I'm not a fan of the new courses. They're more or less just ports from the mobile game, with a less detailed artstyle that clashes with the rest of the game. I do kinda like Coconut Mall and Choco Mountain from a gameplay perspective, but they're still worse than the originals.

Mario Kart was also my first game for pretty much every single console I've ever owned lol. My first ever console was a GameCube that came bundled with Mario Kart Double Dash.

mario kart characters.png

Very late to the party, but what other characters are you hoping to see in the upcoming waves?
I really want to see Petey again after almost 20 years of absence (not counting Tour), Diddy Kong too, it's so weird why he wasn't already in the base roster.

Back
Top Bottom