Weapons & Equip The Moon Brush - End game tool

Xemgoa

Plantera
This suggestion for the addition of an in-game tool/weapon in Terraria is a WIP, so I ask for the viewers patience and to keep an open mind. Thank you!

Given how this might have been suggested before a couple times, I would like to propose the idea or concept of a special brush that allows for even more control over the world the player inhabits, to that of a near god-like level, but not necessarily without becoming one.

The inspiration behind this idea is Okami’s “Celestial Brush” mechanism, along with several of Terraria’s vanilla items, the Dirt Rod, the Ice Rod, but more importantly: The Grand Design tool. The idea of a brush that can be used for both creativity and combat, allowing for versatility at the expense of a special brand of Ink required in order to use the brush.

The item in itself encompasses the Moon Lords own power, and it can either be a very, very rare drop from the Moon Lord, or a special item needed from the Moon Lord in order to craft it. To avoid legal issues, this item has the placeholder name of the “Moon Brush” or something similar, since if the Dev team for Terraria decide to act on this idea as something to develop for the game, they should know that concept of Japanese Lore of any deities using a special brush to shape the world around them isn’t held under copyright. (As far as my research went before typing this up, so correct me if something like that is being held by some law, cause I’m sure the concept is widely known and thus should not have any issue for someone implementing something similar into their game.)

I haven’t thought of how the Ink or the Brush itself is to be crafted, so I think I’ll address the function of the brush itself. For this part, I require your patience, as I think a short summary won’t do it justice, and I ask that you carefully read over each paragraph and everything presented in this post, and enjoy yourself!

(Note: I will be abbreviating "Right Mouse Menu" as RMM to save time typing.)

The Moon Brush”​

You can use the Moon Brush for both Creativity and for Combat, which I will cover in a bit. However, you interact with your world using the left mouse button, and you can use a wide variety of options by opening a small menu with the right mouse button, borrowing the same mechanic as "Grand Design" tool crafted in-game.

The Left mouse button lets you draw or interact with your world in interesting and intricate ways, with it you can select one or highlight multiple object by dragging the left mouse button across the screen, like you would with your normal mouse. If you selected the option from your “Right click menu”, you simply draw with the left mouse button by holding it down and releasing, like your preferred art program. By default, however, it selects things. If you have one or more objects selected and you right click over the highlighted items, you have more options to choose from, allowing for more ways to interact with the object(s).

Your reach is only as wide as your resolution is, so you can only influence what is currently on screen. What you draw or select affects how much ink is consumed, and the ink needed for the brush is what is need to build or fight. Using the brush also requires patience, hand-eye coordination and an idea on how to draw. The Moon Brush can seem like the best tool out there, but I imagine using it actually takes consideration and some planning, since the Ink needed to draw is expensive, as well as it has it's own draw backs. I can't cover every facet of detail over use so, if it gets added to the game, we'll find it out on our own.

The “Moon Brush” has two modes that can be selected from the “Right click menu” options. The brush icon is the “Creative mode”, where you use the brush for creating and changing your world as you see fit. The second mode is “Combat mode”, with the icon of two brushes clashing against each other, and below is how each brush has their own array of functions:

"The Lunar Ink"

The ink for which powers this brush, and a necessary component to making the brush function. Like bullets in a gun. Without Lunar Ink, the Moon Brush is useless.

The ink basically works like ammunition but the consumption of the ink depends on which of the brushes abilities are being used and what is being drawn. For each ability, and each drawing based on certain factors, determines how many Lunar Ink vials are deducted from your ammo count. I hadn't decided on a recipe for it, but I reckon Luminite is a requirement, along with a unique procedure.

Lunar Ink on it's own does as much damage as a Luminite Bullet at 22 damage (Not sure if that should be scaled higher or lower).

1. Creative Mode
Creative mode allows for the player to… well, Create! By that, I mean they can change the world around them in several ways using the “Right Mouse Menu” and the Left mouse button with the corresponding option. The player with the Moon Brush has more control over their current world using the brush, to which they can make changes to their world and constructs with more ease.

Stats:
Damage:0
0% Critical Strike Chance
Very Fast Speed
No Knockback
230% Pickaxe Power
150% Axe Power
100% Hammer Power
Range: Limited to onscreen

• The “Add” option from your RMM will take whatever item you have selected from the display after selection this option will allow you to place objects at mouse point, and will consume the least amount of ink. You can also “highlight” a desire size of empty space by dragging your mouse across the screen, open your “Right click Menu” and select “Place…”, and it’ll fill in that space with the desired item. This consumes the least amount of ink possible, but depending on how much space you have highlighted with increase ink consumption.

• The “Remove” option from your RMM will remove whatever item(s) you have selected and will move them to your inventory. This consumes the least amount of ink possible, just like “Add”, depending on how many items you have selected also increases ink consumption. (This won’t work on things like un-smashed Altars and chests that have any contents in them, to which it’ll cancel itself if it detects something that can’t be removed at the moment.)

• The “Interchange” option from your RMM with exchange one item in the environment or construct with something else in your inventory (exceptions will apply), this is great for people who don’t want to remove the furniture, like a full chest, just to change out some blocks. Use the right mouse button to go your “Right mouse menu” and select “Interchange” on a single/multiple highlighted items, selected from a display of the items you have currently on your person, and it’ll replace the selected item(s) with the desired other item one-by-one. (I say one-by-one since that might prevent latency and frame rate issues.) This consumes the least amount of ink possible, but depending on how many items you have selected can increase ink consumption.

• The “Drag” option from your RMM allows you take the selected item(s) and drag them across the screen, like the “Dirt rod”. You can affect a multitude of different blocks, items, etc. and can place them elsewhere on your screen. (I’m thinking that you can also drag friendly, neutral and hostile NPC’s across the screen, draining Ink per tick for as long as they are being held. Heavier, bigger enemies increase Ink consumption per tick and are dragged slowly across the screen, bosses are unaffected since they likely have the power to resist some of the brushes affects, like being dragged around.)

• Lastly, the “Draw” option from your RMM allows you to draw freestyle and create images on your screen, however only you can see the drawings you have on screen. (Probably can be switched on or off in multiplayer server settings, if anyone wants to view what the artist is drawing. But this is to prevent griefing.) In “Creative” mode, you can just draw images for the sake for being artistic, but you can also affect your surroundings in a plethora of ways. Drawing a circle around growing plants in a planter or around a grass block makes plants grow instantly, at the expense of ink. You can draw a heart around animals or friendly NPC’s to draw them to you and follow you around (Not sure if that can be used to also charm lesser enemies to create temporary allies). Anything within the drawn heart symbol will follow you around, and then you dab them with ink to make them stop following you. (Maybe ally to you until death). Draw Mode isn’t meant for Combat Mode, but it does have its uses defensively but more importantly, creatively, which will have many other affects depending on what you do and what you draw. What you draw and what effect you place over someone or something has varying ink consumption values.

2. Combat Mode
As its name implies, you switch the Moon Brush from Creative Mode to Combat mode, and unleash the god-like power in your brush, unleashing celestial wrath on your adversaries. You won’t be able to make changes or control the objects around you, but you’ll be able to unleash the Moon Brushes more offensive powers and be able to select them from the “Right Mouse Menu”.

Stats:
218 Magic Damage
25% Critical Strike Chance
Fast Speed
Very Strong Knockback
(Stats vary effects depending on abilities)

• The “Elemental Lash” option from your RMM will allow you to draw a line from a source of a particular element, over an enemy, that will create a stream of that element to lash out at your target(s). (E.G., drawing a line from a source of fire over to an enemy will create a stream of fire that will sweep over them, damage them and light them on fire. Drawing a line from a source of electricity, water, ice/snow, etc and over to the enemy will damage them and apply their respective status effects to the target(s).) This uses the least amount of Ink, and is a handy method of offensive or self-defense where it’s needed. (Length of line does not affect ink consumption. Consumes the least amount of ink possible.)

• The “Slash” option from your RMM will allow you to draw a line that will slash enemies that walk into it, like swinging a sword at them from thin air. This also allows you to counter against some projectiles, destroying them or send them flying back. (Consumes the least amount of ink with tiny lines, but longer lines increase ink consumption.)

• The “Rally” option from your RMM will augment and enable neutral and/or friendly NPC’s selected to engage in combat with their own attacks, allowing for some on-hand “Minute men” to assist you when in need. (Might be possible or not in the game, the developer has to give the word on that. I figured it would since the Friendly NPC’s can defend themselves now, if only they could be nimbler and more light on their feet). (Ink consumption increases for each ally/neutral npc affected.)

• The "Ink Bullet" option from your RMM allows you to shoot ink as a projectile. The enchantment of the ink turns into a strong blast of enchanted ink to combat your enemies from a distance. (Consumes an average amount of ink per shot).

• The “Free Style” option from your RMM works similar to your “Draw” option, only it has the capacity to destroy and allow you to create destructive things to throw at your enemy. You can create sentient minions of a particular element to do the fighting for you, create a bomb of any size that will damage foes caught in the blast, although it can’t destroy blocks, etc. You can create a gust of wind to blow your enemies back, draw a meteor in the sky to come crashing down on your foes, draw a spike in the ground to create a jut of earth that will impale any weary foes crossing over it, etc. (Some drawing can be drawn bigger, increasing damage and area of effect, at the expense of higher ink consumption. Ink consumption is determined by drawing, size and complexity).

The options for their respective mode have their corresponding icon to choose from, thus allowing players to identify which does what. The brush might seem like it’s bit much, but as I addressed before- it takes consideration to use the Moon Brush and can’t be used as freely as your traditional tools and weaponry. It’s likely to be very useful if something like this were to be implemented into the game, and by no means do I expect this to be a perfect idea, there is bound to be draw backs in both how the Moon Brush is used, and depending on the people who own one.

"Pro's and Con's"
The Pros I can think of when using the Moon Brush:
  • The brush allows even more control when constructing buildings and make changes to the world around you, limitations applied.

• The brush also allows for a unique way of combat and intricate control over the tide of the battle. It may or may not be more effective then other weapons and tactics, but it's likely to have it's uses.

• It’d make fighting the Moon Lord an even more worthwhile endeavor.

• This would be a reference that pays tribute to a classic Wii/PS2 game I wish I could have played, but the way it’s mechanism works would be very intriguing. I love Okami and I wish I could have gotten to try my hand at it.

• This would, no doubt, make for a very handy tool if you have the resources, time, and space to create some truly wonderful things without the need of a map editing program, and should make that easier for some players who want to build from within the game without said programs.

The Cons I can think of when using the Moon Brush:
  • Let’s face it, no matter how much we nerf or change an item—we human beings find a way around it to try and use it to grief or do horrible things to each other, there is always someone out there that is getting so wound up because they get some sick jolly over making a kid cry. I still highly doubt the Moon Brush can cause that but… I’m hoping it’ll never need a nerf in its life, if someone is going out of their way to use it to harass and cause grief (except in the event of fun between friends who know to use it in good fun), well there is a kick & ban function for a reason. Even if they are your family or closest friend; they need to take responsibility for their actions.

• The limitations on drawings of explosives not destroying blocks hamper it from having any mass-mining capabilities, where the “Remove” option will suffice. Maybe it can be a server side option to enable or disable the “Drawn Explosives destroy blocks” thing in Moon Brushes.

• The limitation of Lunar Ink prevents this tool/weapon from being used wildly, something I've been stressing throughout the suggestion.
  • Speaking of limitations, I have the recipe and method to crafting the special ink for the Moon Brush won’t be incredibly tedious, but as stated the Moon Brush takes consideration and planning, even if you have a plethora of ink.
  • When using “Draw” or “Freestyle”, There is only so many effects you can have on your surroundings, and there is only so few/many offensive projectiles and objects you can draw for battling enemies, which means you’ll need a steady hand and have to wait for the Dev team to release new things to draw for the Moon Brush that will have a unique affect.
  • Let’s face it, when it comes to drawing, a good handful of people draw inappropriate things. That cannot be helped and the blame is on the person who owned it/stole the brush and drew it. That can’t ever be nerfed to deter people from doing that, other than a threat of action; such as a kick, ban or a ban on the item itself. I’d rather the Moon Brush not be nerfed over something like that and the Dev’s nor I take responsibilities over what someone does to use the Brush to draw such horrible things, the people who did it should take the responsibility, if something like this were to be implemented in the game. The news cast or some people can be stupid enough to make a scene of what is drawn using this or try to pin the blame on a virtual object, that is no new news. The person will be held accountable and it’ll die down like a typical news show about parents calling Pok’emon the devils work, when it’s just a bleedin’ video game.

Side note:
Wrapping it up, It would be nice if there was anyone who wanted to create sprites for this concept, some visuals would make for a nice way for people to get the idea of what it looks like. Anyone who wants to make sprites for this concept, let me know!

Last edited:
First off, having a big paragraph at the start explaining how you somehow control the rules of the forum isn't the best way to start out. Also, if it's a rough draft it should be tagged as a WIP, so people will know and judge it as one.

Second off, having the brush as a rare drop from the Moon Lord is a very bad idea, considering how costly it is to summon him, and how much RNG he has already.

The brush seems very situational in combat, very costly, and not good. Stats are a must for a weaponn you didn't provide any.

The build description isn't worded well, I couldn't understand what it does exactly.

First off, having a big paragraph at the start explaining how you somehow control the rules of the forum isn't the best way to start out. Also, if it's a rough draft it should be tagged as a WIP, so people will know and judge it as one.

Second off, having the brush as a rare drop from the Moon Lord is a very bad idea, considering how costly it is to summon him, and how much RNG he has already.

The brush seems very situational in combat, very costly, and not good. Stats are a must for a weapon you didn't provide any.

The build description isn't worded well, I couldn't understand what it does exactly.

Thank you kindly for the feedback.

Well, the paragraph at the start wasn't to insinuate I had any control over the forums., but rather it was my attempt to deter people who came here to quickly mock it or drop by to be a troll, before it had a chance to get off the ground. I have removed it and put something else in it's place.

Sadly, I will have to disagree, seeing as something that powerful ought to be THE end game item to procure, so it's just not that easy to obtain. Plus it's description implies that its power comes from the slain Moon Lord, meaning that it's quite powerful.

Well, I'll think over some stats, but I'm not sure what to put for it, so I'll think of something.

My apologies, but I tried to be as coherent as possible. I think if you couldn't understand it, I think that might have been your own fault. I'm all for being proven wrong since I have a weird way to structure sentences, but I think this one is on you.

I appreciate the feedback and hope you have more constructive criticism for it.

Last edited:
Aw man, this would ruin the use of any construction tools, the best of which being the architect gizmo pack, drill mount, and laser drill introduced in version 1.3. Jokes aside I am interested to know if the Ink would be more or less effective in combat cost-wise than a coin gun and greedy ring combination? Would it be possible to add all the "block wands" to such a tool?

also try to avoid talking about forum moderation, it isn't allowed on most forums, probably this one too although I haven't found the rule for it yet

Aw man, this would ruin the use of any construction tools, the best of which being the architect gizmo pack, drill mount, and laser drill introduced in version 1.3. Jokes aside I am interested to know if the Ink would be more or less effective in combat cost-wise than a coin gun and greedy ring combination? Would it be possible to add all the "block wands" to such a tool?

also try to avoid talking about forum moderation, it isn't allowed on most forums, probably this one too although I haven't found the rule for it yet

Hm... the Moon Brush using ink as a projectile? Well, you are using the ink directly, and given it's enchanted properties I would assume the projectiles to do some strong damage at the expense of the ink used in exchange. I'll add that to "Combat Mode".

Also, Block Wands... I suppose it should have that function, but I am not sure if that would make the other wands useless. The idea behind this is that the Moon Brush is very powerful, but isn't meant to be viewed as, or be overpowered. (But who am I saying? I probably don't have a proper sense between the two.)

Well, what makes you think the Moon Brush should have the ability to function as every Block Wand out there? I'd like to hear your reasoning :)

Well, what makes you think the Moon Brush should have the ability to function as every Block Wand out there? I'd like to hear your reasoning :)

They aren't necessary as part of the tool, but whether or not they are usable by the creative mode determines if any block can be placed
Edit: in my last reply when I said coin gun and greedy ring I should have said just the coin gun

They aren't necessary as part of the tool, but whether or not they are usable by the creative mode determines if any block can be placed
Edit: in my last reply when I said coin gun and greedy ring I should have said just the coin gun

Well, inherently the Moon Brush doesn't function like a Block Wand. I suppose if you made the blocks with the wand and then manipulate them with the Moon Brush, you can move them as they are. Otherwise, I'm am not sure if it should have that function or not ^^;

(That is alright, it left me confused though.)

Thanks for the input though! :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom