The most worthless armor

CursedSliver

Eater of Worlds
What do you think is the worst or worthless armor at one stage. Mine was palm wood armor, because in order to get it, you need to travel to the ocean.

Last edited:
Palm Wood armor no longer needs you to travel to the ocean due to the Oasis biome, so you can technically get it immediately if you want to.

All of the prehardmode wood armors could theoretically be used if you wanted to fetch them, and pearlwood has its role as a :red:ty joke. Ignoring those low hanging fruit, I’d go with cobalt. Usually worse than the sets preceding it in prehardmode, and the time wasted mining it is better spent getting mythril or ochialcum, which are barely more rare and infinitely more useful.

I think that pearlwood has to take that award, but that’s the easy target.

Avoiding early game armor sets and random drop/vanity armor, I’d say Chlorophyte. The stats aren’t that much better than hallowed and the set bonus is a lot worse, you make better armor with chlorophyte + another material (turtle, shroomite, spectre).

I think that pearlwood has to take that award, but that’s the easy target.

Avoiding early game armor sets and random drop/vanity armor, I’d say Chlorophyte. The stats aren’t that much better than hallowed and the set bonus is a lot worse, you make better armor with chlorophyte + another material (turtle, shroomite, spectre).

Chlorophyte’s set bonus is deathly underrated. The leaf crystals hit hard and fire relatively often, and it fires double if you’re attacking. It has more offense and defense than Hallowed, and it offers a pretty substantial flat DPS boost of ~250-300.

It’s almost never worth using up so much Chlorophyte unless you’re in Journey Mode, but I can’t call it worthless.

Chlorophyte’s set bonus is deathly underrated. The leaf crystals hit hard and fire relatively often, and it fires double if you’re attacking. It has more offense and defense than Hallowed, and it offers a pretty substantial flat DPS boost of ~250-300.

It’s almost never worth using up so much Chlorophyte unless you’re in Journey Mode, but I can’t call it worthless.

Yeah, not saying it’s bad, just that I don’t think it’s worth making over turtle/beetle, spectre, or shroomite with your chlorophyte, and hallowed is such a powerful set that you don’t need an upgrade. Especially since I like ranged weapons and chlorophyte bullets eat up a lot of bars. I might try it again, though, since I think it’s been buffed since I last used it.

Cobalt is bad, but at least cobalt is abundant enough and a mostly worthless material after you make a pickaxe that I could see myself making cobalt armor if I had a bunch of extra bars and not enough for a mythril/adamantite set. At the very least, you could craft individual pieces to swap out - necro pants/chest + cobalt head is better than pure necro, and if you’re using necro and go back to craft a cobalt pick to start mining mythril and have some extra then why not make a head piece.

I think it's mining armour. It has the same defense as wood armour, and even though the mining helmet is very easy to get, the pants and shirt each are a 12% drop from a rare enemy, and it doesn't even boost mining speed or something like that.

It does, set bonus is 30% increased mining speed.

That said it’s too rare to get both pieces early enough to use them, and by the time you’d get both pieces, you’d have the silver or gold you need anyway.

It’s not the worst, because Mining Helmet is excellent for early game, but as a set it’s not good at all.

Vortex armor. It's literally Shroomite, with same ability, but buffed, and, as a ranger-main, I think that this is definitely the worst design decision of 9 years of developing, since another Endgame armors are somehow unique

Palm Wood armor no longer needs you to travel to the ocean due to the Oasis biome, so you can technically get it immediately if you want to.

All of the prehardmode wood armors could theoretically be used if you wanted to fetch them, and pearlwood has its role as a :red:ty joke. Ignoring those low hanging fruit, I’d go with cobalt. Usually worse than the sets preceding it in prehardmode, and the time wasted mining it is better spent getting mythril or ochialcum, which are barely more rare and infinitely more useful.
At least cobalt armor looks pretty neat. I sometimes even use it as vanity. Pearlwood Armor is as ugly as the other wooden sets (minus boreal wood armor, that one looks badass).

I think it's mining armour. It has the same defense as wood armour, and even though the mining helmet is very easy to get, the pants and shirt each are a 12% drop from a rare enemy, and it doesn't even boost mining speed or something like that.
I'd have to disagree there, the buffed drop rate really helps with obtaining it, and when you do its useful for pretty much the whole game since no other armor effects mining abilities.

Shadow Armor.

Literally all its only purpose is to be used until you get molten, which immediately becomes available as soon as you obtain the resources to make this armor.
Melee speed is a funny stat, it only effects the dps of swords, spears and whips. The best melee weapons in pre hardmode are the yoyo's and flails and all they get is a tiny range boost that you have to be looking for to notice. but hey, I guess if you want to do some weird whip build then since molten's melee damage... oh wait thanks obsidian! Shadow was finally about to get some small niche and then you came and now shadow is useless again!

And its set bonus is... movement speed... arguably the worst stat in the game. You should have a hermes boots accesory by now and if you are in expert a shield of cthulu. Those two items render movement speed completely redundant. Now apparently a recent update removed the movement speed cap but it takes over 100% movement speed before you character is runnig faster than what hermes provides, even if you end up doing some crazy move speed build where you start reforging all your accesories to quick just so you can start actually benifiting from the move speed stat shadow armor isn't even the fastest armor, ninja armor has more movement speed and arguably better offense.

Oh and its crimson version? Although I find crimson armor to be overated it at least has a good niche, its arguably a better armor for survival than molten thanks to its regen bonus. Shadow armor doesn't need to be as good as molten, it just needs some worthwhile niche other than 'a placeolder armor for melee characters who would like a few extra points of defense for a few minutes until they get molten'.

Rain/Snow coat. It’s supposed to be a rare drop from Raincoat Zombies or Frozen Zombies but it does poorly compared to Wood armor. It’s better used as vanity and shouldn’t be an armor.

I'd have to disagree there, the buffed drop rate really helps with obtaining it, and when you do its useful for pretty much the whole game since no other armor effects mining abilities.
It's still too rare to be useful in any way, since mining potions, the ancient chisel, food items, the slice of cake, and pickaxe modifiers exist. All that added together equals more than the 70% mining speed boost cap (which I just discovered exists), and mining armour is much rarer than any of those things.

Vortex armor. It's literally Shroomite, with same ability, but buffed, and, as a ranger-main, I think that this is definitely the worst design decision of 9 years of developing, since another Endgame armors are somehow unique
First - ability is NOT the same, you hide not when you don't move, but when you click buttons on the keyboard, so you can move somehow. Also, the design is interesting IMO because Nebula Armor looks like Mythril Mage Armor (helmet definitely). So I don't agree with you on this one. Ok, set bonus is not unique, but I would prefer Vortex Armor over Shroomite, even knowing it looks like buff.

In my opinion - variants of wooden armor (not only pearlwood) look not bad, but practically they are USELESS!
Wooden armor - 3 defense, Shadewood - 5 defense. That's just +1/2 damage reduction, and NOTHING MORE!
Also, Wooden Armor and its variants are useless, because of ultra-low defense and no other bonuses. Just 1/2 damage reduction? Bruh.
Ebonwood/Rich Mahogany/Shadewood also hard to get in early-game because of biome enemies...
By the way weapons (Sword/Bow) are pretty USEFUL, but armor is USELESS... pretty good balancing, Re-Logic.

In my opinion - variants of wooden armor (not only pearlwood) look not bad, but practically they are USELESS!
Wooden armor was a meme itself, it was in some mods before 1.2 where it came out. And, comparing to Gold or Platinum armor the ratio of defence capabilities to amount of resources you need to obtain is way larger: every wooden armor defence value is comaprible to cardboard box, but it dirt cheap, since for a Golden/Platinum armor you need 360 gold/platinum, and it is not even better than armor that made from unique materials (Shadow, Crimson, Meteor, Molten, etc.), which are cheaper

Snow Armour, probably. Rare drop from Frozen Zombies with three separate pieces, all of which totals a defense value of 4, no set bonus. I think the only armour it's stronger than is normal Wood Armour, but you'll almost certainly have a better set of armour than that if you ever manage to acquire even one piece of the Snow Armour, let alone the entire set.

Rain armor is up there for me. I mean, it's a rare drop from an uncommon enemy during an uncommon event, and only granting you 3 defense. ONLY 3 defense (wooden does too, but that's understandable.)

That's like, 2 defense less than Shadewood or Ebonwood, which are relatively much easier to acquire and go pretty decently until WoF, or even Pumpkin during Halloween, or even the lowest tier of ore armors! It's super straightforward, and the effort to get it doesn't feel rewarding at all.

At least Mining armor provides 30% increase mining speed, pair that with an Ancient Chisel and a Mining Potion, you'd have Lunar-Pick level mining speed, or Gladiator armor, which has decent pieces for hybridization and the knockback immune...

Any pre-hardmode armour that is not one of these: Mining armour, Obsidian armour, Meteor Armour, Bee armour, Jungle/Ancient Cobalt armour, Necro armour, Shadow/Ancient shadow armour, crimson armour, molten armor, or any of the wizard sets.
All other armours pretty much only provide defense, and a miniscule amount at that, so it's best to just skip them.

Back
Top Bottom