The Murder Pit

Blaine

Skeletron
I decided to upgrade my old, disused Pumpkin Moon/Frost Moon arena and rebuild it on an Expert world. I may have gotten carried away.

80 Super Dart Traps, 68 Spear Traps, 38 Flame Traps (that's a lot of temple raiding), and 12 Spiky Ball Traps, all wired to a timer cascade so that they'll fire in sequence to create a continual death field down there in the Pit. The Clentaminator will of course change the biome, if needed and the surrounding terrain can be lined with dirt or mud to produce certain spawns.

It's great for farming Pink Gel (with appropriate terrain offscreen to the left and right), biome keys, events, and thanks to Lunar Flare and Heartreach Potions, there's no problem anymore with the main platform being completely closed in. I left plenty of room to easily RoD around even while mounted. For farming Crimson Keys, you can leave summons out to kill those naughty Wraiths and such that will fly in through the walls.

55242b130c.png

I had to dig out the sides so you can see the wiring properly.
8b069639f8.png

Here it is in action:

Last edited:
Considering Mothron, would this work as a Solar Eclipse farm?

It does, although you'll want to be at the bottom and have a Mothron Banner if you plan to AFK or something, at least if you're playing in Expert. If you don't have a banner, you'll have to get fancy to avoid death. I finished an Expert Solar Eclipse in Stardust armor (and Star Veil) with the Guardian placed and Star Cells by just hanging out in the bottom, no potions of any kind used. The traps and Star Cells will kill Mothron relatively quickly considering the lack of effort required. The Star Cells will also drift up into the pit and help kill enemies.

I also teleported back and forth occasionally between the top and bottom, because due to the size of the structure and because of the horns, enemies will spawn on the roof and get stuck there when you're at the bottom. You can just add lava inside the horns if you really want to prevent spawns there, or use actuators to make them unsolid so enemies will walk off the roof when they spawn on it.

Truth be told, if you're playing actively, you really don't need an arena or trap setup anymore to do events if you have endgame weapons and gear, because traps are much less effective against Expert Hardmode enemies. You can kill far more quickly by aiming Lunar Flare or Star Wrath offscreen. I mainly built this for fun, and the new configuration isn't ideal for Frost Moon or Pumpkin Moon, as my old one was. Sitting in one place with Star Cells and no arena, you can AFK Pirate and Goblin invasions, and Martian Invasions are sort of designed to stall unless you kill those Tesla turrets regularly.

It's certainly possible to design an ideal setup for AFKing Expert Hardmode with traps, but this isn't it.

Back
Top Bottom