Short Story The Obelisk

TheJoekster

Dungeon Spirit
Hey!

This is my fourth fifth short story here - although it's not exactly a short story, it's more of a scene. It's also my longest scene as of yet, but it's still only like a ten-minute read, max.

The thing with this scene is that it's my idea for a Moon Lord alt or just a bonus boss. As such, you'll be reading stuff that isn't in the game - except for... well, you'll see.

Crawling over a dune of black rock, I looked into the gloomy landscape of a new environment. The wind occasionally blasted my ears, accompanied by a shrieking echo that I can't quite describe. The sun glowed a depressing, gray hue onto the cold, rocky landscape of the place.

This was unlike the rotting body of the Corruption or the heavenly landscape of the Hallow. The place was dead and not a single creature or its corpse were present. Interestingly, the landscape was not spreading itself outwards, but rather upwards, creating random, jagged pillars of black stone that soared hundreds of metres into the sky.

As I walked deeper into the landscape, I wondered what I could call this place. Well, it was black. The sun beamed down onto solid rock, and yet it was cold. It was desolate. And so I named it the Desolation.

A low drone began to tremble through the air of the Desolation. Soon, it became so bad that I needed to sit down and take a breath - the drone was making me cough up blood. A bit more cautious, I drew my naginata and kept walking.

About a half hour later, walking down a steep dropoff, I caught the sight of something moving in my peripheral vision. I froze. About a hundred feet below me, a strange creature was walking along the valley. It had the legs of a harvestman - thin and long, about ten metres high - and the body of an elephant. It carried a massive stone obelisk on its back, which, upon closer inspection, was levitating above its body. I stumbled off of the dropoff, and dragged a small avalanche with me as I tumbled to the bottom - right in front of the creature. It reared its head back, revealing four black tusks, and bellowed so loudly and deeply that the ground shook. It kicked its front leg at me, whipping me in the chest. I flew backwards.

Scrambling to get on my feet, I began to panic. The kick had shredded through my armor and I wasn't recovering fast enough. Opening my backpack, I took out a potion and chugged it as fast as I could, while speedwalking away from the beast that was now stalking me. I could feel the warmth of the potion's effects coarsing through my veins, and immediately felt invigorated. I went into a fighting stance with my naginata as the elephant's spindle-leg swung over my head; I ducked and cut off the tip of the stork. This only seemed to anger the beast; it roared again, and this time many of the pillars around me collapsed to the ground, sending walls of dust and rock flying towards me.

Crap.

Running to higher ground, I looked for the creature that was hunting me. It seemed unphased by the ocean of dust and debris that was now on the ground, and was walking (Or was it crawling?) towards me, with its beady black eyes locked to me. In the blink of an eye, it was on me - I was underneath it. As the creature attempted to shish-kebab me with its four spindle-legs, I slashed at it, constantly removing parts of its legs. Once the creature realized it had gotten shorter, it retreated, and the obelisk glowed as it collected what little light surrounded it from the Desolation. Suddenly, it shot a blinding bundle of light at me. I physically felt the light clash with my armor, heating it up until I suddenly burst into flames.

The creature then kicked me into the wall of the dropoff.

I guess I blacked out for a second. When I came to, the creature was almost on me. Luckily, I wasn't in flames anymore. My naginata was a few feet from where I sat, and I crawled to it. A few of my ribs were definitely broken, and I couldn't move my right arm - the last time that happened, the Nurse said I had a dislocation. As I picked up my naginata with my one good arm, the creature attempted to kick me again. I somewhat parried it with the the shaft of the spear, and then slashed it off.

The beast bellowed, and collapsed to the ground. The obelisk remained standing, and glew a blue hue. It opened up like a flower, but there were no treasures inside. Instead, three beasts soared out of the centre of the flower.

A gigantic stone serpent slithered out of the flower, eyes locked on me.
Two eyes made of rock darted out, connected by a metal chain.
And a granite head flew out of the stone petals, possessing six arms - each tipped with a different weapon.

All three glared at me for a moment, all of them staring at me thirstily, all three of them patiently waiting for the opportunity to kill me. With a moment of realization of what I was looking at, I ran.

The serpent quickly slithered in front of me, preventing me from running away. The stone eyes fired blue bundles of light at me, and the skull engaged me in hand-to-hand combat. It wasn't going to kill me instantly, it was going to toy with me. The stone serpent simply circled around me, making a smaller and smaller circle for me to defend myself in.

The skull impaled me with one of its arms - a blade of rock. Looking at the sharp stone that was now in my gut, I swallowed deeply. I realized that this was what I deserved; for the suffering that I had caused in this world for so long. The eyes above me fired a bundle of light at my left arm, disarming me - literally, because I saw my arm drop to the ground. In complete agony, the skull held me high above its head, and the stone serpent glared at me with a cold, stone face. It struck me faster than I could plead for death.

Criticism is welcomed with a hug and a kiss - this is probably the wackiest and darkest of my pieces so far, so yeah. Hope someone likes it.

Last edited:
It's pretty sad, too - the Literature Section has so much potential for really good writing, but it's kind of obscure and not well-known on the community. Maybe if it was given a bit of a spotlight, some good writers/amateurs would flock to it.

It's pretty sad, too - the Literature Section has so much potential for really good writing, but it's kind of obscure and not well-known on the community. Maybe if it was given a bit of a spotlight, some good writers/amateurs would flock to it.
I've been working on something for this section for a while now, will probably post it soon.
As for your story, it's pretty good. There were a few typos in it(glew instead of glowed, the desolate instead of desolation, the elephant being called "him" in one bit, etc.), but overall it was pretty good.

I've been working on something for this section for a while now, will probably post it soon.
As for your story, it's pretty good. There were a few typos in it(glew instead of glowed, the desolate instead of desolation, the elephant being called "him" in one bit, etc.), but overall it was pretty good.
I'm looking forward to reading the project. As for the feedback, thanks - I'll go edit it right now.

Always great seeing activity in the literature section! This was pretty well-written, if having little to do with the game itself (aside from those references I enjoyed). I'd like to see more from you--and maybe more about the Desolation and how it relates to the rest of the world!

Always great seeing activity in the literature section! This was pretty well-written, if having little to do with the game itself (aside from those references I enjoyed). I'd like to see more from you--and maybe more about the Desolation and how it relates to the rest of the world!
Thanks! Perhaps the next time I feel inclined to write, I'll build off of this.

Back
Top Bottom