The Oxygen-Challenged Terrarian

FairyPrincessSerenity

Empress of Light
Do you want air? Do you? DO YOU? Nah, you don't need it. What we do have is a lot of water, though. Maybe you'll settle for that?

Welcome to the Oxygen-Challenged Terrarian; a playthrough where you spawn into a small air bubble in a world flooded under a sea of water from the ground to space.

Capture 2016-06-16 13_41_22.png

This playthrough was inspired by The Gravity-Challenged Terrarian, a playthrough where the idea is to use a Gravity Globe and play the world under the effects of reverse-gravity. It's easy to play along with. But this playthrough is a bit different. Without third party devices, it takes a long time to prepare a world to play a flooded world. That's why I spent over a week flooding a map for those of you to play along. It is included in a compressed folder attached to this post.

You can go about this challenge with three difficulty levels:
> Normal: Start in the map with a new character and play that way
> Easy: Start a new character equipped with the Flippers accessory
> Wimp: Start with a new character equipped with the Neptune's Shell accessory

There are additional challenges if you think you have the skill or the patience for them:
> Defeat Moon Lord without draining all of the water in the world
> Build a large underwater base
> Obtain every NPC and give them housing
> Defeat the metal bosses without going into space to fight them

Minor changes were made to improve the gameplay experience
> The Angler was rescued from the Ocean biome. This is because the Angler doesn't spawn in space, which is where the water ends. He left when the water rose too high.
> The Dungeon entrance was sealed with bubbles like spawn, for progression reasons.

Certain items will become more useful in this world while other items will become less so. It will be up to you to figure them out.

The playthrough was too interesting to keep to myself. I'll be starting my playthrough with my friend tomorrow. I hope you try it out. Feel free to share your progress and good luck to all of you.

edit: Since A World Underwater does not appear to generate the Leaf Wand, Living Wood Wand, or Living Loom, I have permitted the importing of these crafting tools for people who want to use Living Wood aesthetics in their playthrough.
> This importing exception may apply to other underwater worlds in the future.

Attachments

• A World Underwater.zip
    4.4 MB · Views: 273
Last edited:
This playthrough was inspired by The Oxygen-Challenged Terrarian, a playthrough where the idea is to use a Gravity Globe and play the world under the effects of reverse-gravity. It's easy to play along with. But this playthrough is a bit different. Without third party devices, it takes a long time to prepare a world to play a flooded world. That's why I spent over a week flooding a map for those of you to play along. It is included in a compressed folder attached to this post.

Isn't it um..the gravity-challenged Terrarian?

My friend (who we'll refer to as Spazzy) and I got a decent start on the new world. He found a breathing reed and some flippers. I stayed behind at spawn and built a decent base to get us started. It's got a couple of tree farms down below. I dug a tunnel to the left and hit a crimson vein. Spazzy was digging underground while I was doing that and came back with a bunch of ore. I got enough to craft a mish-mash of armor. After a few risks and a big chamber dug, we took on the Brain of Cthulhu and won. Skeletron and the Eye remain alive. At this very moment, Spazzy is building a loot room so that the mess of chests around here can be organized a bit better.

Capture 2016-06-22 18_46_02.png

Home base for now. There's me standing next to the gold chest. Spazzy's leering at the Merchant.

Capture 2016-06-22 18_44_38.png

Brain arena. Spazzy's celebrating a victory.

Isn't it um..the gravity-challenged Terrarian?

It was late. I was exhausted. Mistakes were made...
...and fixed.

Dude, once you get the Celestial Shell, this map would be easy easy easy.

Though, uh, the enemies that drop the Neptune's shell would suck to fight while in the water haha. But once you got the Celestial Shell..... fighting the bosses would be a cinch.

The only thing about this map, is that MOST of the challenge can be circumvented by staying underground at all times where there's hardly any water whatsoever, the only things that'd be difficult would be goblins, pirates, and Solar Eclipse. You could even fight most of the Mechs underground if you made a big enough arena for it and then once you get the Neptune's Shell, the rest is hilariously easy.

I wonder how big the entrance to the Lihzarhd Temple happens to be in this map, if you can cause Lihzarhds to spawn in early hardmode, you could get the Neptune's Shell a bit earlier.

EDIT: Fact is, you can fight Creatures from the Deep as soon as you enter Hardmode, as long as you get an Amarok and farm Lihzarhds from the Temple (you'd need to stand just outside the door to get said Lihzarhds to spawn outside the Temple and farm the Solar Tablet Fragments that way). A slow process but it'd be very, very, very worth it. Merman Form underwater is actually better/more mobile than wings and you could use Ichor torches to light the areas up.

EDIT2: I'm actually pondering recording the playthrough because this is rather interesting.....BUT.... I have no video editing skills so it'd be raw and my playthroughs tend to be some 20 hours so I dunno if I should....

Last edited:
Do you want air? Do you? DO YOU? Nah, you don't need it. What we do have is a lot of water, though. Maybe you'll settle for that?

Welcome to the Oxygen-Challenged Terrarian; a playthrough where you spawn into a small air bubble in a world flooded under a sea of water from the ground to space.

View attachment 120129

This playthrough was inspired by The Gravity-Challenged Terrarian, a playthrough where the idea is to use a Gravity Globe and play the world under the effects of reverse-gravity. It's easy to play along with. But this playthrough is a bit different. Without third party devices, it takes a long time to prepare a world to play a flooded world. That's why I spent over a week flooding a map for those of you to play along. It is included in a compressed folder attached to this post.

You can go about this challenge with three difficulty levels:
> Normal: Start in the map with a new character and play that way
> Easy: Start a new character equipped with the Flippers accessory
> Justin Beiber: Start with a new character equipped with the Neptune's Shell accessory

There are additional challenges if you think you have the skill or the patience for them:
> Defeat Moon Lord without draining all of the water in the world
> Build a large underwater base
> Obtain every NPC and give them housing
> Defeat the metal bosses without going into space to fight them

Minor changes were made to improve the gameplay experience
> The Angler was rescued from the Ocean biome. This is because the Angler doesn't spawn in space, which is where the water ends. He left when the water rose too high.
> The Dungeon entrance was sealed with bubbles like spawn, for progression reasons.

Certain items will become more useful in this world while other items will become less so. It will be up to you to figure them out.

The playthrough was too interesting to keep to myself. I'll be starting my playthrough with my friend tomorrow. I hope you try it out. Feel free to share your progress and good luck to all of you.
I guess I wont have to worry about getting wings on this map better practice my underground base building skills.

Capture 2016-06-23 11_13_53.png

I found a nice cabin to hide in for now, so I'll catch you up on what's going on.

Spazzy went out into the water and successfully mined a couple of meteorites. We each had enough for a full set of armor, a Meteor Hamaxe, and a Space Gun. Meanwhile, I started digging to the dungeon. That took so long Spazzy was done with his fetch mission and returned to help me dig. We eventually got there and built a suitable arena for ol' bones. We took him out with combined Space Gun spam.

Capture 2016-06-23 11_34_39.png

I changed my hair from the time I took the first screenshot to the time I got to the Skeletron arena.

I followed him in until the point that the Mechanic was rescued. Then I took some wiring goods and hightailed it back to spawn. I spent a good portion of my time then getting underground for a bucket of lava and then came back up for awhile. He wandered around the dungeon for some time. He came back in Necro Armor and brought me some dungeon loot. I expanded the dry area around home base a bit and put in a crafting room and a statue farm. Spazzy rescued the Stylist. The objective now is split. Spazzy's heading to the jungle and I'm going to mine some obsidian.

Capture 2016-06-23 11_27_02.png

Here's our full home base at the moment.

View attachment 120799

I found a nice cabin to hide in for now, so I'll catch you up on what's going on.

Spazzy went out into the water and successfully mined a couple of meteorites. We each had enough for a full set of armor, a Meteor Hamaxe, and a Space Gun. Meanwhile, I started digging to the dungeon. That took so long Spazzy was done with his fetch mission and returned to help me dig. We eventually got there and built a suitable arena for ol' bones. We took him out with combined Space Gun spam.

View attachment 120814

I changed my hair from the time I took the first screenshot to the time I got to the Skeletron arena.

I followed him in until the point that the Mechanic was rescued. Then I took some wiring goods and hightailed it back to spawn. I spent a good portion of my time then getting underground for a bucket of lava and then came back up for awhile. He wandered around the dungeon for some time. He came back in Necro Armor and brought me some dungeon loot. I expanded the dry area around home base a bit and put in a crafting room and a statue farm. Spazzy rescued the Stylist. The objective now is split. Spazzy's heading to the jungle and I'm going to mine some obsidian.

View attachment 120815

Here's our full home base at the moment.
Why go to the Jungle looks like you had plenty of time to farm with a Slime Statue, and you have lava right there? :D No need for a jungle with so much space already.

No need for a jungle with so much space already.

Except for the things that are found in the jungle. You know, Anklet of the Wind, Beenades, Witch Doctor NPC, Blade of Grass. Hardmode stuff...

Besides, there's always room for expansion.
kong.jpg

Greetings from Hell. It's a lovely 140 degrees. Don't worry. It's a dry heat.

Capture 2016-06-23 15_11_53.png

MY HAIR IS ON FIRE! AHHHHHH!
Also, I got photobombed by a bee.

Except for the things that are found in the jungle. You know, Anklet of the Wind, Beenades, Witch Doctor NPC, Blade of Grass. Hardmode stuff...

Besides, there's always room for expansion.
View attachment 120885

Greetings from Hell. It's a lovely 140 degrees. Don't worry. It's a dry heat.

View attachment 120886

MY HAIR IS ON FIRE! AHHHHHH!
Also, I got photobombed by a bee.
You don't find in Jungle, you only get Flower Boots and Turtles, I don't know what this Anklet you speak of. Also I feel like I've seen that picture before

You don't find in Jungle, you only get Flower Boots and Turtles, I don't know what this Anklet you speak of. Also I feel like I've seen that picture before

Anklet of the Wind, found in Ivy Chests. You combine it with an Aglet and Spectre Boots to make Lightning Boots which are even better. Also, the Staff of Regrowth is nice to have too.

EDIT: You can also find Grindstones there to boost your Melee Damage for 10min every time you right-click it.

Anklet of the Wind, found in Ivy Chests. You combine it with an Aglet and Spectre Boots to make Lightning Boots which are even better. Also, the Staff of Regrowth is nice to have too.

EDIT: You can also find Grindstones there to boost your Melee Damage for 10min every time you right-click it.
I was joking as in Flower Boots and Turtles are harder to find in said chests :), Although I don't use Melee, I didn't know you can find Grindstones there, thanks.

I think I'll share my experiences as well as I playthrough this "Water Planet". Not sure if I'll make a let's play thread like Xylia is doing. But if I have some cool experiences to share I might make one. For now I'll just post them here.

1st off it is interesting how this World makes it very difficult to get wood and very hard for slimes to spawn on the surface. Which forces a player to think in a new way. After cutting some trees down I went digging underground and it was scary, because I didn't have gel from slimes to give me torches so I had to feel my way digging underground until I could kill a slime down below.

OxygenChallenged1.jpg

Have a decent start on my home so far. The merchant is what was important to get for a bug net along with Torches (from very limited wood) and Rope. Going forward, I plan to make a few air pockets under the surface through digging underground along with trying to use the water above to create Mega fishing lakes underground for when I need them depending on the biome. With so much water above, there's no need to use the bucket bug at all. I'll still naturally have to be careful about it.

And dug the natural wall down so it will be easier for me to tell when it's day or nighttime until I get enough gold for a Watch.

Dude, once you get the Celestial Shell, this map would be easy easy easy.

I still wouldn't be very concerned about the Celestial Shell on this map. By the time you have access to it, you'll have most of the game beaten. I'd say you've well earned the Celestial Shell for clearing the main challenge of this map when you get to that point for the most part.

There's also a bit of a danger I don't think has been mentioned here:

Make sure you don't accidentally "break" the flooded tunnels so that they can empty out into the Underworld, lol. Gotta be careful how you make your Hellevator to prevent this. I've been real careful about where I dig because I don't want to suddenly connect the Underworld to any tunnel that leads clear to the surface, lol.

So question:

Since the Travelling Merchant always spawns way up in the sky and a mile away from the bubble of air you created making it almost impossible to buy anything from him, is it permissible to import items that he sells (within reason)?

I'm not wanting my information accessories to clutter up my inventory just because I can't combine hardly any of them because of the TM drowning to death before I can buy the three that he sells.

I even tried setting up a King Statue, but it seems to never want to summon him before he dies.

The Traveling Merchant spawned once in my world near the spawn bubble. Given your story, I would assume my case was a fluke.

Hmm.

I'll allow it. However, you can't bring in anything that is unavailable at your point of progress (like a Pulse Bow pre-Plantera), and you must leave the equivalent money value for the item(s) in question in the world(s) you imported from.

Alternative tip, you could have your NPCs live in places where there isn't any water to speak of, since the Travelling Merchant only spawns around them.

---

My world's progress is slow and steady. I trashed the Wall of Flesh with Beenades and I'm currently sitting at Hardmode ore tier-level 2. I got Cobalt, Orichalcum, and Titanium. Ore generation in hardmode will be different for each person playing.

I plan on airing out a portion of the desert (which is Hallowed now) so that surface Hallow mobs will spawn.

But first I need the Party Girl to spawn.

The Traveling Merchant spawned once in my world near the spawn bubble. Given your story, I would assume my case was a fluke.

Hmm.

I'll allow it. However, you can't bring in anything that is unavailable at your point of progress (like a Pulse Bow pre-Plantera), and you must leave the equivalent money value for the item(s) in question in the world(s) you imported from.

Alternative tip, you could have your NPCs live in places where there isn't any water to speak of, since the Travelling Merchant only spawns around them.

---

My world's progress is slow and steady. I trashed the Wall of Flesh with Beenades and I'm currently sitting at Hardmode ore tier-level 2. I got Cobalt, Orichalcum, and Titanium. Ore generation in hardmode will be different for each person playing.

I plan on airing out a portion of the desert (which is Hallowed now) so that surface Hallow mobs will spawn.

*Looks on Wiki Party Girl* ...Why do you want it?

Hmm.

---

I placed my base directly underneath the air bubble, underground about a full screen-height underneath the ground. When new NPCs spawn, they spawn inside the house, so dunno why the TM doesn't spawn in the house too.

He spawns way up in the sky, on the right side about 3 screen-lengths away from the air bubble, slowly falls to the ground, and dies like 10-15 seconds later because he's way in the water, lol. I'll screenshot next time it happens.

But yeah I was only thinking the Information Accessories, and nothing else. I ain't bringing no Pulse Bow or anything like that, lol. That's just cheating haha.

I'm still Pre-EoC, I'm taking it slow, lol. I'm making my way over to the Jungle, though... I want an Amazon, I'm tired of wimpy weapons.

*Looks on Wiki Party Girl* ...Why do you want it?

She sells Bubbles in Hardmode. You can make lots of Air Pockets (make a 3x3 bubble square, and then bucket the center water block out and you're left with air in the middle of water), and you can prevent water from going places you don't want it.

When I get to Hardmode, first thing I'm gonna try to do is pop a Solar Eclipse by farming Lihzarhds outside of the Lihzarhd Temple.... well, ok, that's the SECOND thing I'm going to do. First, is get an Amarok.

If I can get a Neptune's Shell to drop, it will make everything else Super Easy.

EDIT: IMO, I woulda waited for the Party Girl to spawn before killing the WoF, but that's just me I guess, lol.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom