Mobile The Path Ahead: Major News Updates for Console & Mobile

Status
Not open for further replies.
So how is it working on them then? Cant be the same. They are getting it. My buddys old as dirt laptop plays it fine.

What is it with the ram thats the problem? If the game already runs then adding content wouldnt make it not run would it? It would just make the little 100-300mb file bigger wouldnt it?
That's actually not the case. The RAM is what's required to load all that additional content properly. Without sufficient RAM, too much additional content would cause the game to start running worse and worse.

Except that it IS a specs problem. Not enough RAM on those devices, the same issue that has arisen in mobile and PC.

Please don't accuse us of lying or misleading you just because you don't like the news you've heard.

No, your characters and worlds should remain intact, that is a top priority in this process.

How cool, so the old gen can run AAA games like GTA V and you're telling me that can't run a 80MB 2D indie game? Ohw dear.

That's actually not the case. The RAM is what's required to load all that additional content properly. Without sufficient RAM, too much additional content would cause the game to start running worse and worse.

Ok. I really dont know. I was being serious in asking.

But at the same time it still seems odd. Other games work and i know that Terraria cant be the most taxing game on the 360 and Ps3.

Also if theres even problems on Mobile and Pc then why would you rebuild it from the ground up to be even more taxing?

Oh i forgot lol. How did pc have that problem if its ram? Pc's nowdays have like 16gb of ram. Even the old school ones have like 4gb. How much ram could this thing need.

Last edited:
Seriously, I don't mind no more updates but I really would love 1.3 quality of life improvements. Fine, no new content, no new boss, no new items, but at least give us dedicated slots for hooks and mounts, the ability to attack while mounted, things that don't add extra RAM pressure. How much RAM does dedicated slots need?

Mainly, it's annoying having to put hooks in hotbar just to prevent it from getting stored.

OH BABY JESUS THE HYPE IS REAL I CANT WAIT!!!! PROBABLY gonna sell my 360 for an Xbox one. Quick Question: My WP has 512 GB of RAM is that enough for 1.3?

How cool, so the old gen can run AAA games like GTA V and you're telling me that can't run a 80MB 2D indie game? Ohw dear.
Those games are using a technique called streaming. They don't try to load everything at launch like Terraria does. For streaming to work well, the game must be designed for it; Terraria wasn't.
While the game engine can be retrofitted, it simply isn't worth the effort as there's no guarantee it will work well enough for 1.3.

Seriously, I don't mind no more updates but I really would love 1.3 quality of life improvements. Fine, no new content, no new boss, no new items, but at least give us dedicated slots for hooks and mounts, the ability to attack while mounted, things that don't add extra RAM pressure. How much RAM does dedicated slots need?

Mainly, it's annoying having to put hooks in hotbar just to prevent it from getting stored.
Now, this kind of thing might actually have some chance of getting in. It would make sense as the platform's final update to get some QOL changes, so I do hope this is what happens.

So how is it working on them then? Cant be the same. They are getting it. My buddys old as dirt laptop plays it fine.

What is it with the ram thats the problem? If the game already runs then adding content wouldnt make it not run would it? It would just make the little 100-300mb file bigger wouldnt it?
It's not the size of the file on the disk. It's the size of the memory image in RAM while the game is running. That is much larger than the file size.

The things you are comparing are not alike in many ways. That 80MB disk file expands to a much larger RAM image that stays in RAM the entire time the game is running. The 512MB RAM in the older gen consoles is bursting at the seams as it is, with very little room for any further optimization. If you won't believe me, here's @MrRudi explaining it much better:
I might be the developer, at least for a little while longer, but as a die-hard console gamer I understand the disappointment. I hardly ever played Terraria on PC anymore since we made the original ports. Of course I am lucky enough to also own a PS4 so I can continue to play Terraria on consoles... that being said, regardless of how sad the news is, it is an understandable decision. After we did the 1.2 update the console version was already showing strain issues, every further content update required mass amounts of memory optimization to get the new stuff in. With the last 1.2.4. content update, there was nothing left to optimize (and we had to turn off background apps on Vita to make it work).

This basically means that for 1.3, we would have no choice but to overhaul the complete engine to support streaming (which is how the mobile version works) of assets and tiles. Basically this frees up memory, but increases the load on the CPU. It would be a non-stop balancing act between freeing up enough memory for new content, and keeping performance up to a respectable standard. In the end, 505 Games decided it would not be worth the (significant!) investment to try and keep the updates going on previous gen consoles, especially since there was no guarantee that even with streaming the game would run 1.3 in a decent state.

In the end, you might not like it, but I hope that with some explanation it at least makes sense...many months were taken to make the decision, and even though we will not be part of Terraria's future updates I agree with 505's final decision.

It's not an issue with graphics, which is likely the component you're using to compare Terraria and games like GTA V. The issue is RAM/CPU utilization. Being an "indie" game vs AAA game has nothing to do with anything either, other than the size of the company making the product.

Now, this kind of thing might actually have some chance of getting in. It would make sense as the platform's final update to get some QOL changes, so I do hope this is what happens.

Would be nice but i dont see it happening. They are pretty much saying Thanks for helping sell over 12 million copies but now that we are Pipeworks! Kiss our crack.

Still cant get over them telling us they are now Pipeworks! Right when they give us there Pipeworks!

Would be nice but i dont see it happening. They are pretty much saying Thanks for helping sell over 12 million copies but now that we are Pipeworks! Kiss our crack.

Still cant get over them telling us they are now Pipeworks! Right when they give us there Pipeworks!
Why so negative? 505 have been very good to us providing all these FREE updates. Had it been a company like Activision, we would have gotten nothing (except possibly DLCs that cost an arm and a leg).

I don't come here often (only to read news and updates) and never commented before, but I'm a Terraria player with over 1500 hours in the PC version and a Xbox 360 with a Games with Gold version of Terraria with not even 100 hours, so I'm a PC user when it's about Terraria, but I can't agree at all with "old gen consoles holding back".

My computer, with a Core Duo 2'5GHZ CPU and a GForce 8600GT, runs Terraria with variable framerate, sometimes close to 60fps and others 20-50fps, and I don't have problems at all with the framerate making it impossible to play. My 360 (similar GPU in numbers, better CPU, and less RAM) runs it 60fps most of the time and it even can play 4-players split-screen, so... how can an old gen console hold back the game?, if I could play 4-players split-screen in my computer it would explode before it loads the world, 505 is just giving bad excuses to not have so many Terraria versions to work with, if the old console version of Terraria can´t keep the 60fps, then v-sync it to 30fps!, I've seen perfect 30fps run smoother than 60fps capped games without v-sync or any other option to stabilize and/or improve the framerate.

d1df042129d741c8b5918bfb7bacb182.png

505 YOU BLEW IT

To those losers saying "1.3 f0R mObILE w0n+ C0m3 0uT b3cuz Of mEmORY sToRAgE11!1!!1!1": well the actuall developers proved you wrong so f off

I don't come here often (only to read news and updates) and never commented before, but I'm a Terraria player with over 1500 hours in the PC version and a Xbox 360 with a Games with Gold version of Terraria with not even 100 hours, so I'm a PC user when it's about Terraria, but I can't agree at all with "old gen consoles holding back".

My computer, with a Core Duo 2'5GHZ CPU and a GForce 8600GT, runs Terraria with variable framerate, sometimes close to 60fps and others 20-50fps, and I don't have problems at all with the framerate making it impossible to play. My 360 (similar GPU in numbers, better CPU, and less RAM) runs it 60fps most of the time and it even can play 4-players split-screen, so... how can an old gen console hold back the game?, if I could play 4-players split-screen in my computer it would explode before it loads the world, 505 is just giving bad excuses to not have so many Terraria versions to work with, if the old console version of Terraria can´t keep the 60fps, then v-sync it to 30fps!, I've seen perfect 30fps run smoother than 60fps capped games without v-sync or any other option to stabilize and/or improve the framerate.

This is not a framerate issue, it's a memory issue. The XBox 360 can easily, easily run Terraria 1.3 with the provided CPU and GPU. It's memory where it falls short.

To give you an analogy, it doesn't matter how fast you can calculate the sum of one thousand numbers if you can't hold one thousand numbers in your memory (that's a very concise example of how different hardware elements work together, but I hope you understand it now).

EVERYONE:

We understand that some people are very disappointed with some aspects of the news, and that for some their emotions are running hot and high.

That said, we are not going to tolerate rude or offensive language directed at each other or at the development team (particularly at our newest members, Pipeworks). Choose your words with care, or there will be warnings and/or thread bans handed out.

This is not a framerate issue, it's a memory issue. The XBox 360 can easily, easily run Terraria 1.3 with the provided CPU and GPU. It's memory where it falls short.

To give you an analogy, it doesn't matter how fast you can calculate the sum of one thousand numbers if you can't remember one thousand numbers. That's a very concise example of how the different hardware elements work together.

That's why I said in the end: "If the old console version of Terraria can't keep the 60fps, then v-sync it to 30fps", solved. The only memory problem it can have it's with the Celestial Towers/Pillar fights with so many enemies that might not fit in the memory, but... it can be solved by a 30fps v-sync, no matter what anyone or even 505 says, it's just an excuse to not work with so many versions, their laziness is the only problem.

And, if you excuse me, I'm logging out from this forum, I don't come here often, I don't plan to be an active person, it's only the 2nd comment I did and I registered here ages ago, I have better things to do and some are even critical for my daily life, making this issue a very insignificant problem, I just logged in to defend the right to have updates to those with only an old gen console version of Terraria. If you want to keep defending a baseless excuse from 505 to not keep updating the old gen console version of Terraria, specially if they're updating the Mobile and other portable versions, then please save it for the comments of active people, because I won't be here, sorry.

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh what about Wii u we payed MORE than anyone else and STILL don't have 1.2.4 I did NOT PAY THIS MUCH FOR THEM TO DROP IT INSTANTLY! Plus the Wii u is just as capable as the others why is it not listed? Is it not getting 1.3 because if so THAT IS SUCH A RIPOFF!

Seriously though plz say that 1.3 is coming to Wii u

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom