Mobile The Path Ahead: Major News Updates for Console & Mobile

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tribute for Last Gen;

Rest in pieces, down for the count. No revival, you're bleedin' out. Your epitaph says you died a wealthy man, but you can have it all come back and seal the master plan with Tombstone! It's Tombstone! It's Tombstone! It's Tombstone! Health is drainin' you're on the ropes. Death is waitin', don't lose your hopes. Your will and testament ain't making that much sense, you're listed as the only heir to whom you may bequest. It's Tombstone! It's Tombstone! It's Tombstone! It's Tombstone! *Tombstone*The Tombstone Soda jingle.

Yep, they went back in time to remove half of the RAM from 10 year old consoles so that Microsoft could make more money and send them a cut.

Seriously guys? Seriously? I mean, again, I get the frustration, but do we have to go full tinfoil. :p

This is a hardware vs software req issue. Nothing more.

Ok so why cant we make use of virtual memory? pc does it why not ps3/xbox360 if it really is a matter of ram and if not then what? graphics? ive seen better graphics from systems older then ps3/xbox360, if it is just software i get there might be some stuff you cant provide that is understandable.

If we only got half oor1/3 of 1.3 or future updates i would be fine with that but instead of trying to find a solution we just quit and say its impossible :(

Ok so why cant we make use of virtual memory? pc does it why not ps3/xbox360 if it really is a matter of ram and if not then what? graphics? ive seen better graphics from systems older then ps3/xbox360, if it is just software i get there might be some stuff you cant provide that is understandable.

Its not graphics. Its RAM. Further details are beyond my personal understanding.

well i dont know that much about hardware restrictions when it comes to consoles but as i understand it ram affects speed which is why a game on xbox one is more responsive then the same game on xbox360 so if this is the same issue why not reduce the requirement so everything requires the same speed sure it wont compare to current gem but in a limited way we could still recieve more and if not that then what about exclusives mobile has everything console has + 1.3(in the future) so why not give console a little bit more content before ending development? in fact theres really only 2 or 3 things i need from 1.3 celestial shell, portal gun and little else

RAM is not only "speed" - RAM is how much a device can store in memory (not storage, actual operating memory). Terraria loads EVERYTHING into RAM at start....so the more there is to load, he more RAM is needed and so on. In the old days, that wasn't an issue. However, the game has exploded in size since then - is already busting it's boundaries - and 1.3's mass of stuff apparently just made it unstable altogether.

Several here have tried to explain this dynamic in general (the "bucket of water" analogy) to @CheatFreak47 explaining a bit about why Terraria is so RAM-intensive. It isn't as simple as "fancy graphics = more hardware". There is a ton of complexity and variables beneath the "simplistic" appearance of this game that "pretty games on rails" simply do not have.

They DID try/explore other ways - that's presumably why it took so long to even come to and announce this decision. They covered that.

well s:redspin:t. There's no way I'm getting an Xbox One anytime soon. Well, we all had this coming. I guess every cool new game (or in this case, update) goes to the current gens. Oh well. At least I have my PC.

ok would it affect the ram to add only small things accesories a mount etc all im saying is a piece of something is still something maybe add a yellow rench, some sensors logic gates, some accesories and the money trough thatd be nice oh and mounts honestly you dont need to include any bosses or the new armor and crafting benches just more general items for functionality honestly even if we only get one item or one accesory or one thing what about item frames? surely they dont affect ram just sitting there? my point is anything even 1% is better then 0 of course everyone has made up their mind no matter how little or how much could be added without breaking the game there isnt anything to be gained by arguing instead i should just forget that 1.3 even existed and move on. ;((until i can afford an xbox one and enjoy life once more;))

ok would it affect the ram to add only small things accesories a mount etc all im saying is a piece of something is still something maybe add a yellow rench, some sensors logic gates, some accesories and the money trough thatd be nice oh and mounts honestly you dont need to include any bosses or the new armor and crafting benches just more general items for functionality honestly even if we only get one item or one accesory or one thing what about item frames? surely they dont affect ram just sitting there? my point is anything even 1% is better then 0 of course everyone has made up their mind no matter how little or how much could be added without breaking the game there isnt anything to be gained by arguing instead i should just forget that 1.3 even existed and move on. ;((until i can afford an xbox one and enjoy life once more;))
The problem is everything you add to the game increases the ram it needs, even small things like items. The game loads every single thing in the game at the start, even things you haven't collected yet. 1.2.4 has pretty much completely used up all the ram the PS3/360 can supply it. So even adding a few small things will send it over the edge.

Last edited:
Well hopefully when they make otherworld it dosen't load everything a once so theres room for bigger updates and older consles will get supported

Jeez seems that this good news has turned sour. It's quite sad to see older consoles not get supported. I'm sure the devs will make sure that the game is as good as possible in 1.2.4 I mean it's not as If it's lacking in content! (Which come to think of it is the reason they can't update it further). Unfortunately you sometimes find yourself in a lose lose situation. At least until you can get a better system;(:(

Im sorry, but did you just say reset? As in all my hard earned loot will be wiped, along with all my worlds and characters? As in welcome back to square one? That kind of reset? I may be misunderstanding what the term reset means in this context, but as a gamer, the term "reset" is a loaded one. It automatically makes me fear the worst.

Last edited:
The reset will not affect characters or worlds.
Ok. As a gamer, when I hear reset, I fesr the worst. I didn't like having to restart once 1.2 came to mobile (which was necessary due to the huge world generation change) but I wasn't super far along. Now, with 1.2s endgame gear, if a full reset came that wasn't required in order to get most of the new content, I'd be sad

I remember someone commented asking about 3DS's update future. Chances are, it won't ever get beyond 1.2.4. Right now, 3DS is missing a lot of stuff regarding:

A - Summoning Weapons
B - Beetle Armor
C - Mounts
D - World Size Options
E - Online Multiplayer

Beetle Armor is a given, but the rest of these can only make an appearance on New 3DS (that is, if Deanzor ever gets around to it)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom