Mobile The Path Ahead: Major News Updates for Console & Mobile

Status
Not open for further replies.
I personally blame Loki for all these shenanigans going on. He is the god of mischief after all. Someone get me a damn hammer and I'll fix this, preferably a Mjolnir brand...

I just love you 505 games codeglue you put the jelly in my doughnut :passionate: but my friends hate Terraria and I want to convince them to play any suggestions? Also I sooooooo hyped for 13.0:kingslime:

You're the GD Batman. Can't you just outsmart him or throw money at the problem?

I highly doubt a Norse god would have a need for money, and smacking him in the face with a hammer has proven to work in the past. The old saying still holds true, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"

I very much doubt it.
Title|RAM (Minimum)|RAM (Recommended)|VRAM (Minimum)|VRAM (Recommended)
Terraria (v 1.3)|2.5 GB|4 GB|128 MB|256 MB
Starbound|2 GB|4 GB|256MB|Not provided
Stardew Valley|2 GB|Not provided|256 MB|Not provided
*Information taken from their respective Steam pages.

The PS Vita has 512 MB of RAM and 128 MB of VRAM. It has only a quarter of the RAM required to run the PC versions of all three of these games at a minimum level. Yes, of course you could get that memory requirement down a lot if you were to port it with Vita compatibility in mind, but there's no way you're going to get it down to 512 MB RAM.

This is just to reiterate that this is not just Terraria that Vita has issues with, it's pretty much all modern games: while the Vita is 'only' five years old (which is still quite a lot) compared to the 7th gen consoles eleven years, it's still a 2011 handheld, so definitely outdated when it comes to contemporary PC games.

Don't be fooled into thinking that Terraria or Starbound or Stardew Valley have low specs because they're two-dimensional sprite based games: PS Vita can for instance handle the beautiful graphics of LIMBO (512 MB RAM on PC), but wouldn't be able to run say, the comparatively very simple graphics of a ported version of Undertale (2 GB RAM on PC), just because of the memory limitations.

EDIT: Just to hammer the point home, if it were not for storage limitations, PS Vita could theoretically run Half-Life 2.

This is a very black and white way of looking at things. It doesn't recognizing that many games run less optimized on PC due to the expectations of more powerful hardware. If I had to guess, Stardew Valley is probably one of those games. It was largely developed by a single person. There is bound to be inefficiencies in that code. The biggest RAM hog is asset loading. You can relieve some of that strain with a smaller field of view (Vita is going to be closer to your face than a TV, so you can do that) and lower resolution assets (Vita's screen is 540p).

I'm kind of optimistic about Stardew coming to the platform. The console port developers have a lot of experience on Vita. They ported Octodad (2GB minimum/4GB recommended RAM), Towerfall, Axiom Verge and are currently working on Salt & Sanctuary and Darkest Dungeon (2GB minimum/4GB recommended RAM) for the platform. Their major issue seems to be with MonoGame's start and stop support of the hardware. Direct development for Vita was announced, but then it looked like it wasn't actually going to come out so they devised their own way of porting games to it (which makes things a bit more complicated), then MonoGame launches in alpha for Vita. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Stardew happens to run in MonoGame.

I see things saying the more items you add in a game the more it puts on the load.

Can anyone tell me how Borderlands 2 can run on a vita if that has like millions of weapon combos.

Im really just curious and would like to know how they do something like that?

I see things saying the more items you add in a game the more it puts on the load.

Can anyone tell me how Borderlands 2 can run on a vita if that has like millions of weapon combos.

Because they load up only the things they need. (It's called streaming). They load and unload different assests etc as you move through the game.
The Terraria engine instead loads everything at once, meaning that it's RAM footprint is higher. 505 said they tried out streaming in the Terraria engine, but it didn't work out.

Because they load up only the things they need. (It's called streaming). They load and unload different assests etc as you move through the game.
The Terraria engine instead loads everything at once, meaning that it's RAM footprint is higher. 505 said they tried out streaming in the Terraria engine, but it didn't work out.

Alright. Thanks

well s:redspin:t. There's no way I'm getting an Xbox One anytime soon. Well, we all had this coming. I guess every cool new game (or in this case, update) goes to the current gens. Oh well. At least I have my PC.
You don't have to. 1.3 q2 2017 remember? And there will also be delay guarantee. So sit down, relax and enjoy 1.2.4. Or do same as i did and buy pc.

There should be half screen information: There is second jump button on L3. Everything could be easier if i know this earlier.

There isn't really all that much going on at the same time in Borderlands, and the game world is largely static with relatively few things that can be interacted with. You can only have like 4? weapons at the same time and most of those reuse the same model with different textures. The textures by the way are rather low-res, but they get away with that due to the art style.
All in all, it's relatively easy to deal with by using streaming, and the Unreal engine that Borderlands use is written with that in mind.

Another factor here is that, despite their claims to "millions of weapons", what they actually have is a procedurally generated system of guns combined from a variety of prefixes and mods.

You take your gun type, the brand, the model within that brand, and then it chooses "parts" for all of the sections of the weapon (barrel, sights, stock, etc), as well as the potential for bonus perks and prefixes and such. There aren't actually millions of weapons, but millions of combinations based on the various factors. And since the same assets are used for so many of them, there is actually a surprisingly small amount of assets being used to generate these weapons.

No hate on Borderlands, its an amazing game. But this element isn't comparable to a game where everything is pre-created by hand.

How much ram will be needed to run the game? My kindle fire HD(3rd gen) isn't the oldest but it only has 1 gigabyte of ram! Just wanna make sure.

It depends on the codebase. For Mobile, it seems to CURRENTLY sit at any device with at least 1gb being in the clear. <1gb devices still run it - just with the risk of instability or performance issues.

What that will be after 1.3 and the resets/rebuilds of the codebase, I doubt anyone fully knows yet.

What's with my weird feeling of seeing console version is better than pc, and even I don't have Terraria for current gen and a phone that can run it, I'm kinda happy. Is there something wrong with me?

And 3ds gets what exactly? We are the only people that don't have 1.2.4 (full update) the game is utterly broken crashing every few minutes, minecarts make the game lag insanely hard, skeletron prime is WAY to easy taking him out first time in under two minutes because he was too slow and never catches up. :sigh: Wow ok other than that :redspin: WELCOME PIPEWORKS!!! happy for you guys to join the community of awesome people here :joy:

Sorry for ranting about something that you spend soo much time on. ;(

the game is utterly broken crashing every few minutes

Not to suggest you aren't having this issue, but I've never had a single crash on 3DS Terraria with quite a bit of time on the game. Perhaps that's why its hard to fix . . . its not a universal thing.

Not to suggest you aren't having this issue, but I've never had a single crash on 3DS Terraria with quite a bit of time on the game. Perhaps that's why its hard to fix . . . its not a universal thing.

I heard a youtuber chaoticshadow said that the game did crash. And I have experienced multiple crashes
I think it might be because the digital version was early.
Thank you for reading my comment.:)

I heard a youtuber chaoticshadow said that the game did crash. And I have experienced multiple crashes
I think it might be because the digital version was early.
Thank you for reading my comment.:)

I use the digital version :)

Unless you mean its the digital version that ISN'T crashing, in which case, that would make sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom