Mobile The Path Ahead: Major News Updates for Console & Mobile

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't wait for the 1.3 mobile update from Pipeworks, but I need a patch update from Codeglue because the game is unplayable for me. (I play on Kindle Fire 3rd gen 1.24gb of RAM).

i have the same probem so sorry but we both won't be getting 1.3
Mobile IS getting 1.3, but right now the version is unstable. Pipeworks is resetting the game and making it more stable. BTW finally got a patch update today.
[doublepost=1470583709,1470583670][/doublepost]I was waiting for months for the patch.

Mobile IS getting 1.3, but right now the version is unstable. Pipeworks is resetting the game and making it more stable. BTW finally got a patch update today.
[doublepost=1470583709,1470583670][/doublepost]I was waiting for months for the patch.
dose your phone have 2 gb of ram?

Those rectangles get more and more advanced every year, but Xbox 360 hasn't improved in 11 years. Just as an example, the Xbox 360 has only 512 MB of RAM, while my iPhone has 1 GB.

Its even been said recently that some Mobile devices with less than 1 GB ram using the most recent version may encounter performance issues, so its not a Console exclusive thing here. Terraria's running needs grow with each update, and the hardware has to keep up, whether it be PC, Mobile, or Console.
Really they could improve function on all platforms with ram issues if they got smart. They have no memory saving settings at all. They could and SHOULD add loads of settings that would make all devices not suffer this. Most wouldn't even be an issue, mainly just disable textures.
Examples:
Disable particles. (Basically all no importance partice effects are unrendered. Like the walking and jumping particles.
Disable gibs/gore (all blood and death bits are unrendered. Kill a mob, npc, boss, only items appear no more body textures bouncing around)
Disable tile animations. (Torches, crafting stations ect stop running animations)
Disable background animations (clouds, rain, snow, eect stop animations, instead will have a fixed overlay [so you can still see when they are going on)
Go deeping into more advanced settings, you can have a few options that wont effect gameplay but effect worlds slightly.
An option to disable those pointless rocks stalactites, stalagmites, ect. (Basically all non importance randomly generated background objects will stop spawning, freeing up ram and not getting in the way, as well a 2nd option to disable the plant versions as well (grass and stuff as well as the jungle plantlife.) Those won't have much effect, grasshoppers and worms spawn randomly anyway, (and if someone needs them more they can turn grass on)

Basically just adding a bunch of settings to toggle anything of no real importance, stuff that's cosmetic effects,would free up tons of memory and cause the game to be alot smoother.

Really they could improve function on all platforms with ram issues if they got smart. They have no memory saving settings at all. They could and SHOULD add loads of settings that would make all devices not suffer this. Most wouldn't even be an issue, mainly just disable textures.
Examples:
Disable particles. (Basically all no importance partice effects are unrendered. Like the walking and jumping particles.
Disable gibs/gore (all blood and death bits are unrendered. Kill a mob, npc, boss, only items appear no more body textures bouncing around)
Disable tile animations. (Torches, crafting stations ect stop running animations)
Disable background animations (clouds, rain, snow, eect stop animations, instead will have a fixed overlay [so you can still see when they are going on)
Go deeping into more advanced settings, you can have a few options that wont effect gameplay but effect worlds slightly.
An option to disable those pointless rocks stalactites, stalagmites, ect. (Basically all non importance randomly generated background objects will stop spawning, freeing up ram and not getting in the way, as well a 2nd option to disable the plant versions as well (grass and stuff as well as the jungle plantlife.) Those won't have much effect, grasshoppers and worms spawn randomly anyway, (and if someone needs them more they can turn grass on)

Basically just adding a bunch of settings to toggle anything of no real importance, stuff that's cosmetic effects,would free up tons of memory and cause the game to be alot smoother.
Very few of of those options would actually free up any main memory at all, and the ones that did would not free up nearly enough to accommodate 1.3 on a platform that is already having memory issues.

Your main suggestion seems to be disabling sprites, or at least reducing their amount. However, sprites are kept in the video memory, so doing so would only free up that specific kind of memory, and not the main memory used by the CPU (which for instance holds the information about all the tiles in the world).

While particles and gores do need to be kept in the main memory, they require next to nothing in the grand scheme of things. Disabling them completely wouldn't free up a significant enough chunk.

Animations, if I understand them correctly, only require video memory to hold the entire spritesheet and the CPU to cycle between frames: the current frame would have to be stored in the main memory, but compared to all the other tile information that needs to be stored, that's a negligible increase.

Don't get me wrong, these options are all perfectly valid if you want to raise the frame rate, but they don't solve the memory problems that are at the root of this issue.

Although it's awesome people are chipping in trying to help, I think that it's important to remember 505 have spent a long while experimenting, and trying to find a way to get it to run. I'm confident to say that if there was a feasible way of getting 1.3 to run on less RAM, in a large company like 505, they would have found it.

That one broke had that one 6 years ago and 4 years go I got another one from my grandpa

Ah, I understand

This isn't the appropriate place to discuss where someone got their console - take it to your profiles if you must discuss it, and please keep it non-confrontational.

Sorry TK :dryadsad:

I really hope pipeworks updates the achievements on console version, they seem outdated with all the new bosses and items. We should have some of the pc achievements in the 1.3 update

Agreed! Seeing as the new consoles have the ability to add tack-on achievements with updates, it'd definitely be cool to get some new ones.

This might be harder than it sounds. Achievements/trophies are technically controlled and approved by the console makers. There's not really a precedent for removing them from an existing game to add in others.

Pipeworks has a chance of getting more added to the game for the new patch, but being a small game from a small developer I wouldn't hold my breath on that.

The existing ones are practically written in stone now since people have already earned many of them. Sony and Microsoft will probably not agree to take any of those away from their customers, even for a revamp.

I can't speak for XbOne, but I know that PS4 has the ability to tack on new achievements through updates without tampering with existing ones. Warframe, for example, does it all the time, with almost every new game update. I assume the XbOne would have a similar capability.

Edit: After rereading the conversation, I now understand what was truly meant with your statement. Apologies, and please disregard.

Last edited:
Very few of of those options would actually free up any main memory at all, and the ones that did would not free up nearly enough to accommodate 1.3 on a platform that is already having memory issues.

Your main suggestion seems to be disabling sprites, or at least reducing their amount. However, sprites are kept in the video memory, so doing so would only free up that specific kind of memory, and not the main memory used by the CPU (which for instance holds the information about all the tiles in the world).

While particles and gores do need to be kept in the main memory, they require next to nothing in the grand scheme of things. Disabling them completely wouldn't free up a significant enough chunk.

Animations, if I understand them correctly, only require video memory to hold the entire spritesheet and the CPU to cycle between frames: the current frame would have to be stored in the main memory, but compared to all the other tile information that needs to be stored, that's a negligible increase.

Don't get me wrong, these options are all perfectly valid if you want to raise the frame rate, but they don't solve the memory problems that are at the root of this issue.
I see more lag from rendering then anything else so having less to render would be better. Also the cpu has to tell the gpu what to do, and on mobile the gpu effect on rendering everything is much more noticable due to the high ram use of the game itself. Which is why i gave not only a render stress drop, but a tile creation drop.

And it wasn't even to the 1.3 stuff, it was just the fact that almost nothing can handle the game properly. Most people have older devices and even modern devices only offer over 1gb ram in high cost devices.

There needs to be more focus on how to reduce memory usage. if devices don't run out of memory playing the game then people can enjoy the game. They are trying to make the game stable, ram use is very important in that.

Please Please PLEASE

Add a screen resizer / density changer / bigger zoomer what ever it is on next update

My samsung s7's screen is even bigger than my old samsung s5's , but it cant zoom out like the old one . Its so hard to do boss fight and anoying to have least item switch tab.

MAKE TERRARIA REVERSE COMPATIBLE PLEASE LOOK AT THE COMMUNITY WE NEED TERRARIA WE DON'T WANT TO PAY 20 DOLLARS FOR A GAME WE ALREADY HAVE OR JUST MAKE IT FREE WITH GOLD I LOVE TERRARIA BUT WE WON'T GET UPDATES FOR 360 THINK ABOUT XBOX 360 USERS I DON'T WANT TO PAY 20 DOLLARS AGAIN!!!! #TERRARIA REVERSE COMPATIBLE

MAKE TERRARIA REVERSE COMPATIBLE PLEASE LOOK AT THE COMMUNITY WE NEED TERRARIA WE DON'T WANT TO PAY 20 DOLLARS FOR A GAME WE ALREADY HAVE OR JUST MAKE IT FREE WITH GOLD I LOVE TERRARIA BUT WE WON'T GET UPDATES FOR 360 THINK ABOUT XBOX 360 USERS I DON'T WANT TO PAY 20 DOLLARS AGAIN!!!! #TERRARIA REVERSE COMPATIBLE

But then think of all the people who own the game on past-gen consoles, but also paid to have the game on current gen consoles. I'm not sure how well that would work out.

wait when is the update to make console more like pc
The older consoles (Vita, PS3 & 360) are getting a patch around Sep 2016. That will be only bugfixes and stability improvements. The newer systems (PS4 and XB1) are getting patch 1.3, the same one as the PC, around Q2 2017 (Q2 is April to June).

I think the estimate is around a year - September 2017.
I think you got the 2 announcements confused and put them together.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom